Jack Whacker Wheat Ale | Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery
Colorado, United States
tommyknocker.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

An American-style wheat ale brewed with malted. Low hopping rates allow the refreshing aroma and citrus flavor of a late addition of lemon grass to dominate. This unfiltered beer retains all of its protein, flavor, and some of its yeast, resulting in a traditionally cloudy appearance.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-16-2001

1.25/5  rDev -63.1%

Pours a hazy soft golden with zero head. Looks like apple cider. Smells like moldy hay. Tastes like a crappy cider with a heap of metallic zest that bumps the roof of the mouth. No carbonation really. Overall a shitty, shitty beer. I don't know what the hell happened here. What am I suppose to do with the other 5?

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

3.32/5  rDev -2.1%

This filtered wheat pours clear and golden yellow. Good sized head with decent retention.
Smell is as expected with notes of citrus, banana and wheat to keep up with the malt. Balance is good.
Taste is tart first with a sharp bite of acidity and citrus dominating over the malt and wheat notes.
Medium bodied at best with a strong astringency and high effervescence. A lot of lemon in the aftertaste with some weaker malt. A decent beer, along the lines of a Blue Moon with an astringent streak.

2.18/5  rDev -35.7%

Light orange appearance, looks like some decent ipas. Mild white head, 1/2". Aroma was reminiscient of some of those different fruity syrups they have at IHOP that are usually sticky from prior guests.

Certainly does not taste like a wheat beer. You just get lots of carbonation and that ihop fruit syrup sweetness. Some clove in there it seems, just really don't like any aspect of this taste, very little of it is what I associate with a good beer, or wheat beer, or fruit beer, or. . . you get the idea. Kind of a mess of a beer to me.

Just unimpressive all around, every thought I had comparitively was not a beer.

2.67/5  rDev -21.2%

Straw golden yellow, very light with a very pleasing puffy-white head, about a finger thick, which then reduces to about less than half-an inch after first two sips, leaving some decent sticky lacing. OK retention.

Definitely picking up some grains, wheat and fruits here on the nose. A little pineapple, citrus, banana. Some graininess, no hops to detect here at all. Very pleasant and inviting olfaction.

The mouth is the major let-down here. While I can taste some of what my nose did, it is much more subdued than my other sense led me to believe. In fact, very minimal. Body is thin and watery.

I do like wheat ales, but this one is a major step down for me. There are absolutely much better ones out there.

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

I got this beer in a Tommyknocker sampler 12 pack. They changed the look of their bottles, I don't know if they offered the sampler before this but it was the first time I ever saw it. Maybe an advertising thing or something. Poured into a weizen glass from the bottle:

Appearance - Pours a nice medium gold which is difficult to see through, given the brew is unfiltered. A respectable head, nothing to have a palpitation over, but nice.

Smell - Gives off a nice wheaty scent with a touch of fruit, maybe a citrus or lemon. This would be understandable for the style and certainly for the fact it says "brewed with lemon grass" or something like that right on the front of the bottle.

Taste - Impressive! I enjoyed the taste of this beer! Fits right into the style at the upper level, not many American pale wheats are quite this good. A solid wheat taste with just a hint of lemon and fruit at the back end.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean finish. Lightweight beer, would be great for a hot summer day, working in the yard.

Overall - This is a good beer for any situation, and especially for the one described above. Ironically, although I don't typically do this with wheats and did not intend to, I let it get a little warmer before I finished it. In my opinion, the taste and aroma of this beer was accentuated by the raised temperature. I know that sounds more like an imperial or other stronger style, but I'm serious, I really think it was better at a warmer temp. I would recommend this beer, it's just as good as many of the American pale wheats I have had.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured unto a Weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy gold, head is thick but subtle was almost 1" upon the initial pour settled within a sip.

Smell: Comes off citrussy, easy to like. Honestly I don't think it's just me but I am smelling really feeling the banana aroma given off from this beer.

Taste: I get a hint of lemon and heavy wheat taste, taste is super smooth and easy to love.

Mouth: Medium carbonation, backwash of taste is just that good.

Overall: Don't know if this beer is marketed as a "summer ale" regardless if it isn't this might be your year round go to. Tastes great and flavor to carbonation is evenly distributed. Hope you all enjoy!

3.22/5  rDev -5%

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a thin lacing of fizzy head that quickly fades away. The nose has aromas of lemon grass and wheat. The flavor is citrusy with notes of lemon and orange and something resembling apple juice. The mouthfeel is light and well carbonated.

This is a pretty standard light, simple wheat beer. The flavor is a little sweet and the apple juice notes aren't pleasing. I probably won't have this again.

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%