Maple Nut Brown Ale | Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery
Colorado, United States
tommyknocker.com

Style: American Brown Ale

A touch of Maple Syrup is added to each barrel of our award winning Maple Nut Brown Ale to impart a roasted sweetness. This addition balances the nut flavor produced by Munich, caramel and chocolate malts used in the brewhouse, producing a drinkable brown ale.

Added by kbub6f on 07-27-2001

2.7/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottle into (real) pint glass in high altitude Denver, CO.

A: Pours a dark brown non-transparent colour with a three finger head of decent retention and thickness. The head is a bit tan. Generally appealing.

Sm: Nutty but a bit dormant. The barley is masked. Unpronounced but not unpleasant.

T: Clean open to maple/nut body (shocker!) with a nicely nutty finish. Better than the smell and better than expected.

Mf: Too smooth, too wet.

Dr: Not bad at this price range, but better beers can be had in this style.

3.92/5  rDev +15%

poured from the bottle into a beer glass.

A-poured a dark brown, had good carbonation but minimal head.

S-smelled a lot like other dark beers I've had, but you could definitely pick up the maple scent from it coming through.

T-tasted like a mix of maple syrup, nuts, and other roasted flavors.

M-had a fairly light mouthfeel. not overpowering at all.

D-a good brown ale. goes down pretty smooth and is something that I would definitely have again.

2.26/5  rDev -33.7%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Brown body, with average lacing.

S: Not much to it, a slight syrup scent but not very strong.

T: Faint maple taste mixed with an almost Worcestershire sauce taste. Not very pleasant.

M: Syrupy feel, a little bubble to it, not much.

D: Not impressed. Its better then drinking miller lite, but I wouldn't try anything else from this brewery.

2.48/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Looks decent; it actually looks a lot like pure maple syrup in color.

Smell is pretty potent sweetness, with a lot of maple pushing through. Not much else, but as advertised, and the maple aroma is really clean.

The taste is mildly maple syrup, with a little bit of related sweetness. There isn't a lot of complexity here, unfortunately.

The mouthfeel is where this beer starts to fall short. It's seriously thin for a beer based off of the thickest condiment known to man. If they beefed it up a bit, we might have something here.

Drinkability is pretty low, considering that I drain-poured about half of each bottle. It's just too one-dimensional and thin to really devote much time to.

3.07/5  rDev -10%

Poured a dark brown with a light frothy head, very reminiscent of a cola.

Smell also had a strong cola bubbliness, with notes of sweet syrup and brown sugar.

Taste is sweet and fairly light, with strong notes of nuts and some chocolate. Also some wheat and bread notes discernible, as well as some similar to those found in grainy adjuncts. Came across as too watery at times, and the nutty/syrup flavor wasn't very strong or longlasting. It seemed to depart almost instantly after leaving the ol' taste buds.

This was an interesting brew. I appreciate the unique effort put in for the style, but thought it missed for the most part. Overall it seemed too much like it was trying to be both a faithful brown but also something light and drinkable. It's worth a try, and I can see how it might be appealing to some, but I probably won't get this again.

4.1/5  rDev +20.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. I like sweet malty beers, and a brown w/ maple syrup sounds delicious. It's Thanksgiving, and I've already indulged in food, so why not beer? Let's do this.

A - 1 inch head, clear brown...head goes down to ring/cover, already clinging to the glass as it goes down. Lots of sticky lacing.

S - yep, maple. Sweet, nutty, dark & malty...pretty much what I was expecting. No hops, no bitterness.

T - sweet, follows the nose. Maple, caramel, malty, coffee...also as expected. No complaints; I read the label when I bought it.

M - Like their Imperial Brown, I feel this is a tad under-carbonated. A little thin, too. But otherwise, really smooth, can't feel any booze at all.

D - I liked it, but I'd prefer it to be a little more carbonated. I don't mind finishing out this sixer, but I sure won't do it in this evening. It's great, but it's really sweet, and I just don't want a ton of that all at once.

If you like maple syrup, you'll probably like this. If you don't like maple syrup, don't bother. I love a good brown w/ a twist, so I wasn't disappointed. But if you read the label on this beer and end up hating this beer, maybe you should check your reading skills. =)

4.2/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was told about Tommyknocker from an individual tha wanted to have it kept in my bar. Needless to say I had to try it out first. I got it in a bottle and it was made in July of this year. It does taste a little flat but it is still pretty tasty. The coor when you pour is medium brown in color, almost sandy. The smell is sweet and desirable. The taste is more a fruity taste than maple. The nutty flavor really stands out to me. This beer is pretty damn goodand easy to drink, almost too easy.

3.89/5  rDev +14.1%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of tan head. It is brown in color with dark amber highlights. The aroma is definitely maple. It has underlying nutty, earthy smells, as well. The taste is sweet maple syrup with some roasted caramel malt. The mouthfeel is a bit thin. I really like this beer but it I don't drink more than a couple due to the sweetness.

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Nice crisp and clear brownish amber color with a decent finger measure of head that sticks to the glass.
S: A very good nutty malty aroma with a touch of hops. Very subtle maple syrup scent.
T: The brown malt makes a really nice flavor that mixes well with the maple syrup that dominates as an undertone. Very nice beer that isnt too overly sweet.
D/M: Great carbonation and crisp while being very drinkable. I would go as far as to say this is versatile enough to be a breakfast beer.

3.15/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours out the exact same dark amber color as the doppleback from Tommy's, also with the same off tan head but this head is a little thicker.

Smells sweet with light chocolate, and dark malts, also the maple is there but in an old dried out sense.

Bang! Maple syrup in the face. Lots of sweet syrup, very dominant also chocolate malt, no real hop bitter or alcohol in here anywhere. Could be a kids drink, but I like it :)

A decent stickiness to the mouthfeel, light carbonation, I wish they would amp that up a little bit but leads to a decent creamy feel on the tongue.

Pretty dang drinkable, I would do a few for sure, not too complex though.

Good price, 8.50 for six longnecks

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Dark brown with a tan head. The head dissipates rather quickly, but there is nice lacing throughout.

S: Thick caramel malts, there is maple as well, but I am not sure I would have picked it out without knowing there was maple in the beer. Also some roasted nut flavours and some hops.

T: Maple is the dominant flavour in the brew. Some nutty caramel and spicy flavours as well. The hops are light, but do a nice job offsetting the sweet malt flavours.

M: A little flatter and lighter than desired, yet that's how brown ales are.

D: The flatness and lack of carbonation make this one hard to drink at warmer temperatures. However, I do think the flavour is quite good.

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours dark brown in color with two fingers of foamy off-white head that remains throughout the beer.

The scent is of toasted malts and nut.

The taste was nutty, with toasted malt, wood, and some light hops.

Medium bodied, kind of a chewy feel, high carbonation.

This was a decent brown ale, the taste and scent didn't exactly jump out at you. Not an easy drinker, I found it difficult to finish 2 of these.

3.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2010-10-05 in Columbia, PA

A - Brown with some red and a short, eggshell white head

S - Interesting, mild roasted malt and cashews

T - I get a pretty good dollop of maple accompanying the medium roasted malt. Perhaps a little bit of caramel. Just a smidgen of hop bitterness. Quite distinctive.

M - Medium body and light carbonation. Pleasant.

D - One is enough for me for now but I really like the maple taste so I'd try this one again.

4.84/5  rDev +41.9%

First off, if you don't like the taste of maple syrup, then this beer is just not for you. If you do in fact like maple syrup, then drink up my friends. This beer is a very smooth drink, and I found that i finished a six pack before i even got comfortable in my bar stool. Wonderful maple syrup aroma and just the right amount of syrup added to still taste like a beer. One of my personal favorites. A must drink for Maple Syrup fans everywhere. I also find that you may need to swirl the bottle for the best taste as the syrup tends to settle at the bottom. A delight from the Tommyknocker collection.

3.92/5  rDev +15%

A_Dark brown with a thin khaki colored head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring.Not much lacing.

S_Maple syrup,almonds,toasted malt,brown sugar.

T_Reading the shitty reviews I was expecting a artificial maple taste. This taste like pure maple syrup.Not too overwhelming but definite maple upfront. Nuts,caramel and bread like malt round it out.

M_Thin and sticky.

D_Really drinkable if you're in the mood for maple. Nicely done.

The maple flavor in this is excellent. Nicely done. Must try if you like maple syrup. This taste exactly like pure, organic maple syrup.

Appears a dark amber brown hue with a thin khaki tan head forming with minimal speckled lacing. Aroma, deep sweet fruit and maple syrup notes there's not much brown ale characteristic in the smell of this brew. Fuckin' disgusting maple syrup cloyingly sweet flavor with nothing else going on this is by far one of the worst beers I've come across on the planet, it makes my gag reflux kick with instant acid reflux. This beer is terrible thn bodied artificial carbonation these people should throwin the towel and be forced to chug Canadian Breakfast Stout bombers rom Founders, as far as being drinkable that's an absolute no. Drain pour, is the only justable end to this beer as far as drinkability goes are you fuckin' kidding me.

A - Pours a dark brown colour, visible carbonation, thumb of golden head with solid retention, and thick drapes of fine bubbled head.

S - A woody maple syrup, though slightly metallic, and finishes with sweet caramel malts.

T - A very delicious, yet mild, maple syrup flavour dominates, with some nice chocolate and caramel malts on the finish. Quite surprised and very satisfied.

M - Sweet, smooth, wet and bubbly. Nothing wrong in this department.

D - This is easily one of the best Maple Nut Brown's I've had the pleasure of trying. Excellent offering, and highly recommended to anyone looking for a sweet, tasty maple based beer that won't overload the taste buds.

1.06/5  rDev -68.9%

I had this many years ago and was amazed to find something worse than macro swill. Anyway years later a friend gave me a sample...still just awful.

A Look, it's brown there's an ok head here. It's nothing special.

S Honestly it smells like they just added sugar and articial maple to this thing. I'm not sure if there's beer in this glass.

T I don't see this as a brown ale. There's nothing going on here. It's syrupy and well bland. It's too sweet, it's too thin.

D well it tastes awful so good luck drinking more. It was a drain pour the first time and well I only took a small sample this time so I finished the 3-4 oz I had, but there's no way I could have made it through a bottle. It's thin enough and the alcohol doesn't kick so if you liked this you could have a few I suppose.

M I guess I should give it some credit here. If the maple flavor or whatever that off setting sweetness is doesn't get to you, you may not have an issue with the mouth feel. I don't get it. It's thin in body but somewhat sticky. Not pleasant.

There is too much flavor for a macro drinker and just bad for everyone else. I find maple a bit off in many beers but they normally have other things there and it can work darn well. This beer just doesn't do it for me.

4.07/5  rDev +19.4%

I realkly liked thios - it smelled like a proper beer i.e. hops and malt but there was also a strong maple syroup note present without being overpowering.

The taste followed the aroma with a pleasant balanced maple swetness.

It went down a treat and I thionk I will actively seek this out again.

4.04/5  rDev +18.5%

WOW!
This tastes like maple syrup with a splash of beer. It pours a great brown color with a finger of head. It is uber sweet with a nice smooth finish. The mouth feel is of a "syrup-like" viscosity. It would absolutely make a wonderful breakfast beer. I will keep this in mind next time I go out in the woods or to a log cabin for a vacation/weekend. There are few beers that I can think of that would start your day off better than this Maple Nut Brown.

Cheers!

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A good brown lookin' beer, lesser carbonation. Aroma was sweet.

Taste imported more sweetness, but not to a large or disagreeable level. Smoothness contributed to by the maple I'm sure. Quite enjoyable even to a hophead. Exceeded expectations for sure. Mouthfeel became smoother as it went on.

3.62/5  rDev +6.2%

Dark reddish orange colour; slightly hazy. Little head. Doesn't look particularly impressive. Smell is lightly roasted malts and maple syrup. Taste is sweet malts and definite syrup. Sweet, but not offensively so, in my opinion. This is actually better than I thought it would be. Light(er) and flavourful at the same time. Pleasantly carbonated. A decent offering from a brewery I generally don't care for.

3.72/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle into a pint glass.

A : A vigorous pour results in a good finger and a half foamy tan head. Color is quite nice caramel brown that shines in the light.

S : Maple syrup is potent, but some notes of nuttyness dart in as well.

T : You could pour this on pancakes, as the syrupy sweetness dominates atop a malty layer. There is just a light note of nut and coffee on the finish. This one is sweet, very sweet.

M : Medium bodied with a frothy filling feel (say that 5 times fast), leaves a light sweet coat.

D : If you like sweet & malty, this is a very solid brew. Would serve well as a dessert brew. Far sweeter than most American Ale's.

I reviewed the bigger, imperial, brother of this ale some time back and found it lackluster. It seems the bigger brew loses some of maple sweetness in favor of alcohol.

4.04/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance: Medium brown in color with a slight reddish hue. Very minimal off white head

Aroma: Smells yummy - malty and sweet with maple and nut in the background. The maple is almost a little sticky smelling and caramel-like

Taste: The maple is definitely there, but mixed very well with the nut flavor so it's almost hard to pull them apart. It tastes as though the Maple-Nut is one entity, not two. Very little hops, which I love - no bitterness at all. The maple really comes through on the backside with maybe a hint of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Smoooth and light. Nice.

Drinkability: Definitely has drinkability. This beer not only tastes good but goes down easy as well.

3.27/5  rDev -4.1%

Second brew of my Tommyknocer sample pack. Pours a brown and reddish color and a nice off white head. Again appearance is hurt by a head that disappears quickly.
Aroma is led by the smell of maple. It also shows some toasty malts.
Creamy, a little sweet but dry at the finish with a nutty aftertaste, along with a medium body, mouth feel.
Like the first beer I had from this brewer, this
beer is mildly disappointing. Price point on this beer demands (for me at least) that their beers have a bigger wow factor.

Maple Nut Brown Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery