Maple Nut Brown Ale | Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery
Colorado, United States
tommyknocker.com

Style: American Brown Ale

A touch of Maple Syrup is added to each barrel of our award winning Maple Nut Brown Ale to impart a roasted sweetness. This addition balances the nut flavor produced by Munich, caramel and chocolate malts used in the brewhouse, producing a drinkable brown ale.

Added by kbub6f on 07-27-2001

4.02/5  rDev +17.5%

A- The coloring is similar to maple syrup which adds to the experience. Short beige head.

S- Nutty, Maple Syrup.

T- I an normally a stout or porter guy but this one was really pleasant. You can taste the dark roasted malts and the hint of maple syrup which stays with the palette.

M- ..

D- I could drink a six-pack in one sitting only thing I would be wary of is the sweetness of the drink.

3.83/5  rDev +12%

12oz brown bottle

Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale was mahogany in color with good clarity. It had a short beige head with decent retention and lacing. The smell was sweet malts with some maple syrup. The taste was sweet malt, a bit toasty, light maple syrup flavor, and a little nutty. It finished semi-dry and maple-malty. The mouthfeel was good with a medium body and medium-light carbonation. The drinkability was good. This is a good brown ale worth a try.

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Jan 12 2011 notched on label.

Pours a nice, clear, dark brown with half finger on off-white foam. Aroma is malty, toffee, nutty.

First sip is nice malty sweetness with a minerally/ironish aftertaste. Moderate residual sweetness - I think the maple probably dries this out a bit. No hops detected.

Overall a nice, sessionable brown ale. Nothing spectacular, but well-made. Solid B.

2.7/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

It pours a light brown color with a slight red. No big smells in the nose of this beer. A little brown sugar and maple syrup. Now maybe I am biased from everything else I drank on this day, but I was very disappointed with the taste. It tasted of a thin nut brown ale and a little bit of maple. It honestly was not drinkable for me at this point in the night. It ended up being a drain pour. I had higher hopes for this beer. It was just to thin and unbalanced. I think I would of enjoyed it a little more if it was all I drank on that day.

3.1/5  rDev -9.4%

A-transparent dark copper with a nice off-white colored head. some lacing stays.

S-smells like a lot of nutty and dark roasted malts. very malty. if you try, you can get a whiff of some maple. very decent strength.

T-comes in with really smooth dark roasted malts of caramel and just a small hint of maple. The finish is just awful. It seems to be very...tangy...and mouth puckering..but not bitter. There is a faint after-taste of caramel malts. Overall its a very forgettable brown ale that I would never suggest to anyone, as i find this slightly unpleasant.

M-good creamy medium carbonation with a sharp finish due to the tanginess.

D-well it at least goes down easily. its by no means is a very drinkable beer. it seems to be quite filling. its definitely not a brown ale i'll ever be getting again.

3.58/5  rDev +4.7%

Picked this up last week since this is new to my area and I was looking to try something different this winter. Most brown ales that I've had tend to be easygoing and have a sugary stickiness to the aftertaste and this was a bit different than that. I think the maple syrup added a nice touch to this beer and although it's not the best brew that I've had lately, it's certainly different than anything else that's currently on the shelf.

The pour to this was decent as the hue was brown with just a hint of red and a frothy head that dissipated fairly quickly. A nice mellow maple syrup could be detected in the taste along with notes of caramel and molasses. The mouthfeel was just a bit thin and I felt that a thicker body and a bit of carbonation could have really upped the ante here. Like most browns, there's almost no detection of any hop bitterness and the finish is pretty mellow, with just a hint of the maple sweetness lingering.

I almost didn't think this was beer until I signed onto here and saw that alcohol was indeed present in this. It's barely discernible and I could easily have had a few of these in a sitting. This won't win any awards but sometimes, it's nice to just be able to crack a beer open and not have to think to deeply as I work my way down the bottle. This is one of those beers and I look forward to trying the other offerings from Tommyknocker are now for sale here.

3.89/5  rDev +13.7%

A- Pours a brilliant brown with a small off white head that dissipates a little to quickly.

S- Smells of carmel malts and maple syrup a little nutty as well. Smells like a maple nut brown should.

t- a nice start of carmel and maple, not as overpowering as one would think. very well balanced actually. finishes smooth and is flawless without any off flavors.

m- nice carbonation and mouth feel.

D- a great drinkable brown ale, wish this would replace newcastle as the go to brown on the tap handles at local bars. has a great finish and is pretty darn drinkable great beer to sip on in the middle of a cool winter day. Makes me kind of want a pancake though.

3.25/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottled on November 19th, 2010 clearly notched on the back.

A: Pours a semi-transparent darker brown hue. Even with an aggressive pour, there was a very minimal light brown head that dissipated within ten seconds. A little on the underwhelming side.

S: The aroma does not project very well but from what I could pick up, there were dominant notes of moderately roasted malts with a fleeting aroma of caramelized maple syrup on top of slightly burnt bread.

T: It really takes a second for the flavors of this beer to hit you after it enters your mouth. After the beer explored my palate for about a second, I picked up on a subtle roasted malt profile, a light nuttiness, and a finish that gave off a tinge of sweet maple syrup upon the swallow. Hardly full on flavor but it was not bad.

M: Light bodied with decent carbonation. The beer was a tad thin and on the watery side and the taste quickly fled the palate upon the swallow. However, I will give it points for being very smooth in the overall mouthfeel.

D: With a light flavor profile and a smooth mouthfeel, the beer was easily drinkable but I fear I can't say it was more than just that. Not exactly what I was expecting when I cracked the bottle (I was expecting flavor to be much fuller) but I give the beer props for being remarkably easy to down.

3.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Part of a 6-bottle variety pack that is pretty solid. Was scared by the name, due to "Maple" indicating cloying sweetness. It does, however, refer to its clear, deep maple brown-coloured body, with a slight reddish tint. Very little head and patchy lacing.

Nose of sweet malt with an aromatic nuttiness and just a hint of maple sugar. Light but slightly creamy body, fairly light carbonation. Surprisingly balanced palate, a little low in flavor, but sweet malt and a subtle maple note. Very short finish, nuttiness emerging then ending abruptly.

Very easy to drink, the sweetness rather restrained and pleasant, but lacking in body and overall robustness. A nice offering that could easily reach the next level with a few tweaks.

3.01/5  rDev -12%

Bottled on date: 8/23/10

Poured into a pint glass, body looks to have a brown body, but is more of a dark copper color when held to the light. Has a finger of light tan head that fades pretty quick. Pretty much just maple and brown sugar in the nose. Not a whole lot of flavor, but I am picking more hints of the maple as the beer warms, also some roasted malts. Decent level of carbonation, but really thin in the mouth.

3.7/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Head comes & goes in seconds. Dark brown with amber/golden tones around the edge of the glass. No lace.

S: A little caramel sweetness. Maybe a little bit of banana and maple.

T: The maple flavor (thankfully) isn't as pronounced as I would've expected. Altogether pretty well rounded between sweetness and malt. Not too full bodied and I get the faintest (hop?) bitter on the tongue at the end for good measure. Candy, milk chocolate, Yoo-Hoo, and maple nut fudge.

M: Rich and sweet. Carbonation is a nice counterpoint.

D: Not the most intiguing aesthetically but quite delicious.

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a nice transparent brown, with nice head and ok lacing. This beer definitely screams maple, it's very noticeable in the taste and aromas. There are hints of caramel, toffee, malts and grains. These flavors are very enjoyable; slightly sweet. The biggest problem w/ this beer is the mouthfeel. It's completely too thin and has no body at all; little carbonation. It being so thin really hurts the drinkability. Don't get me wrong, at 4.5% abv it's easy to drink, but the mouthfeel makes it less enjoyable.

This is a very unique brown ale.. I love the flavors and aromas. With a few changes, this could be one of the best browns out there. The flavors are enough to enjoy this beer, recommended.

2.7/5  rDev -21.1%

Bottle into (real) pint glass in high altitude Denver, CO.

A: Pours a dark brown non-transparent colour with a three finger head of decent retention and thickness. The head is a bit tan. Generally appealing.

Sm: Nutty but a bit dormant. The barley is masked. Unpronounced but not unpleasant.

T: Clean open to maple/nut body (shocker!) with a nicely nutty finish. Better than the smell and better than expected.

Mf: Too smooth, too wet.

Dr: Not bad at this price range, but better beers can be had in this style.

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

poured from the bottle into a beer glass.

A-poured a dark brown, had good carbonation but minimal head.

S-smelled a lot like other dark beers I've had, but you could definitely pick up the maple scent from it coming through.

T-tasted like a mix of maple syrup, nuts, and other roasted flavors.

M-had a fairly light mouthfeel. not overpowering at all.

D-a good brown ale. goes down pretty smooth and is something that I would definitely have again.

2.26/5  rDev -33.9%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Brown body, with average lacing.

S: Not much to it, a slight syrup scent but not very strong.

T: Faint maple taste mixed with an almost Worcestershire sauce taste. Not very pleasant.

M: Syrupy feel, a little bubble to it, not much.

D: Not impressed. Its better then drinking miller lite, but I wouldn't try anything else from this brewery.

2.48/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Looks decent; it actually looks a lot like pure maple syrup in color.

Smell is pretty potent sweetness, with a lot of maple pushing through. Not much else, but as advertised, and the maple aroma is really clean.

The taste is mildly maple syrup, with a little bit of related sweetness. There isn't a lot of complexity here, unfortunately.

The mouthfeel is where this beer starts to fall short. It's seriously thin for a beer based off of the thickest condiment known to man. If they beefed it up a bit, we might have something here.

Drinkability is pretty low, considering that I drain-poured about half of each bottle. It's just too one-dimensional and thin to really devote much time to.

3.07/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a dark brown with a light frothy head, very reminiscent of a cola.

Smell also had a strong cola bubbliness, with notes of sweet syrup and brown sugar.

Taste is sweet and fairly light, with strong notes of nuts and some chocolate. Also some wheat and bread notes discernible, as well as some similar to those found in grainy adjuncts. Came across as too watery at times, and the nutty/syrup flavor wasn't very strong or longlasting. It seemed to depart almost instantly after leaving the ol' taste buds.

This was an interesting brew. I appreciate the unique effort put in for the style, but thought it missed for the most part. Overall it seemed too much like it was trying to be both a faithful brown but also something light and drinkable. It's worth a try, and I can see how it might be appealing to some, but I probably won't get this again.

4.1/5  rDev +19.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. I like sweet malty beers, and a brown w/ maple syrup sounds delicious. It's Thanksgiving, and I've already indulged in food, so why not beer? Let's do this.

A - 1 inch head, clear brown...head goes down to ring/cover, already clinging to the glass as it goes down. Lots of sticky lacing.

S - yep, maple. Sweet, nutty, dark & malty...pretty much what I was expecting. No hops, no bitterness.

T - sweet, follows the nose. Maple, caramel, malty, coffee...also as expected. No complaints; I read the label when I bought it.

M - Like their Imperial Brown, I feel this is a tad under-carbonated. A little thin, too. But otherwise, really smooth, can't feel any booze at all.

D - I liked it, but I'd prefer it to be a little more carbonated. I don't mind finishing out this sixer, but I sure won't do it in this evening. It's great, but it's really sweet, and I just don't want a ton of that all at once.

If you like maple syrup, you'll probably like this. If you don't like maple syrup, don't bother. I love a good brown w/ a twist, so I wasn't disappointed. But if you read the label on this beer and end up hating this beer, maybe you should check your reading skills. =)

4.2/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was told about Tommyknocker from an individual tha wanted to have it kept in my bar. Needless to say I had to try it out first. I got it in a bottle and it was made in July of this year. It does taste a little flat but it is still pretty tasty. The coor when you pour is medium brown in color, almost sandy. The smell is sweet and desirable. The taste is more a fruity taste than maple. The nutty flavor really stands out to me. This beer is pretty damn goodand easy to drink, almost too easy.

3.89/5  rDev +13.7%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of tan head. It is brown in color with dark amber highlights. The aroma is definitely maple. It has underlying nutty, earthy smells, as well. The taste is sweet maple syrup with some roasted caramel malt. The mouthfeel is a bit thin. I really like this beer but it I don't drink more than a couple due to the sweetness.

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Nice crisp and clear brownish amber color with a decent finger measure of head that sticks to the glass.
S: A very good nutty malty aroma with a touch of hops. Very subtle maple syrup scent.
T: The brown malt makes a really nice flavor that mixes well with the maple syrup that dominates as an undertone. Very nice beer that isnt too overly sweet.
D/M: Great carbonation and crisp while being very drinkable. I would go as far as to say this is versatile enough to be a breakfast beer.

3.15/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours out the exact same dark amber color as the doppleback from Tommy's, also with the same off tan head but this head is a little thicker.

Smells sweet with light chocolate, and dark malts, also the maple is there but in an old dried out sense.

Bang! Maple syrup in the face. Lots of sweet syrup, very dominant also chocolate malt, no real hop bitter or alcohol in here anywhere. Could be a kids drink, but I like it :)

A decent stickiness to the mouthfeel, light carbonation, I wish they would amp that up a little bit but leads to a decent creamy feel on the tongue.

Pretty dang drinkable, I would do a few for sure, not too complex though.

Good price, 8.50 for six longnecks

3.38/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Dark brown with a tan head. The head dissipates rather quickly, but there is nice lacing throughout.

S: Thick caramel malts, there is maple as well, but I am not sure I would have picked it out without knowing there was maple in the beer. Also some roasted nut flavours and some hops.

T: Maple is the dominant flavour in the brew. Some nutty caramel and spicy flavours as well. The hops are light, but do a nice job offsetting the sweet malt flavours.

M: A little flatter and lighter than desired, yet that's how brown ales are.

D: The flatness and lack of carbonation make this one hard to drink at warmer temperatures. However, I do think the flavour is quite good.

3.39/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours dark brown in color with two fingers of foamy off-white head that remains throughout the beer.

The scent is of toasted malts and nut.

The taste was nutty, with toasted malt, wood, and some light hops.

Medium bodied, kind of a chewy feel, high carbonation.

This was a decent brown ale, the taste and scent didn't exactly jump out at you. Not an easy drinker, I found it difficult to finish 2 of these.

3.7/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2010-10-05 in Columbia, PA

A - Brown with some red and a short, eggshell white head

S - Interesting, mild roasted malt and cashews

T - I get a pretty good dollop of maple accompanying the medium roasted malt. Perhaps a little bit of caramel. Just a smidgen of hop bitterness. Quite distinctive.

M - Medium body and light carbonation. Pleasant.

D - One is enough for me for now but I really like the maple taste so I'd try this one again.

Maple Nut Brown Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery