Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Imperial Nut Brown Ale | Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery
Colorado, United States
tommyknocker.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Commemorating the 10th anniversary of Tommyknocker Brewery, this special brew is meticulously crafted with pure maple syrup, the highest quality chocolate and crystal malts and is accented with the finest blend of European and American hops. Imperial Nut Brown Ale, at 9.8% alcohol by volume, is a bigger, bolder version of their Maple Nut Brown.

Added by Bierman9 on 12-17-2004

1.62/5  rDev -56.5%

Summer layover. Notches of 0(0-3) & 4(0-9) along the side.

Poured into a rounded pint glass. Pasty yellowed-tan head. Even whitewash lace. Brown on black dulled body.

Sharp residuals kicking my nose in with track spikes. I can't get near it. Almond liqueur, an itch of smoke, plenty of alcohol, & just really flagrant overall.

Charred Hazelnut & maple upfront, with & an ugly slap of alcohol riding hard down the middle. A 2 second shot of Lysol to the mouth comes to mind. A mild but lingering nut shell bitterness tries to ease you out of that wincing pain.

Strong carbonation works to my benefit, as does the lighter then expected body.

This stuff sticks with you like ugly homebrew.

2.1/5  rDev -43.5%

Imperial? This is the single most disappointing beer with the name "imperial" in the title I've yet tried. Not very flavorful, very malty, nothing else. Appearance was a murky, muddy brown, much like the other Tommyknocker beers I've tried. Aroma was virtually non-existent. Flavor was a bit caramel-y, but offered little else, including the alcohol ester. It was served in a tiny little stemmed glass, but didn't seem special the way most other beers served in little stemmed glasses seemed to be. Disappointing.

I would not recommend this beer. I had this on-tap at the brewery.

2.36/5  rDev -36.6%

Poured a dark black color with a thin tan head.

Smell has a pungeant off smell.

Taste is very lacking for a beer this big. Very light nut with a bit of slighty sour brown flavors and some trace alcohol notes.

mouthfeel is slick and slightly warm.

Overall pretty bland would steer clear of in the future.

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured into a pint glass...

Appearance: Dark brown/mahogany color, with hints of red coming through as it was held up to the light. Poured with almost no head, even after a force pour. Left heavy lacing that dissipated very quickly

Smell: Alcohol and fake sweetness. I couldn't smell much else. I didn't smell maple syrup at all, but I definitely smelled a chemical-ish sweetness. I don't know how else to describe it.

Taste: I did not like this beer. Tastes almost like it smells, with an overpowering astringent sweetness, almost cloying. You can definitely taste the alcohol, as well. The bottle said it was brewed with maple syrup, and I'm guessing that's where the sweetness came from, but I couldn't taste it.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin, considering how sweet it was. Lightly carbonated made it smooth.

Drinkability: It was difficult to put this one down. It did get a little better as it warmed, as more of the flavors came through, but I just couldn't get past the cloying sweetness.

I was looking for something with a maple syrup flavor when I bought this, and I was dissapointed. I am not a fan of brown ales in general, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Maybe someday I'll try this again, but right now I have no plans to.

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

A: a rather thin looking raisin brown, almost non existent head. there are a few tannish bubbles floating on top after about 30 seconds.
S: sweet maple dominates, but i dontget much of anything else in there to break it up a little. im left wanting something else because its quite sugary smelling. its relatively pleasant smelling, but theres no complexity.
T: not feeling it. i know its a maple syrup brown ale, and i basically knew what to expect, but this is just too much. its so mapley ( if thats a word) and my palate hates me right now. it tastes like chewing on carmelized brown sugar.
M: my teeth are tingling. syrupy and just too much to handle.
D: none really to speak of. going down the drain.

2.55/5  rDev -31.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher nonic. 9% ABV, 2/4 Notched on the label with no apparent significance.

A - Hazy dark brown pond-water color with almost no head on the pour. Very little retention to what's there with a ring of bubbles left around the outside. A tiny finger of lace reaches up.

S - Maple syrup definitely comes through which adds a nice sugary sweetness but the backing caramel and amber malt isn't doing much at all. The brew has a lack-luster brown ale nose with a bland nuttiness. No booziness in the nose but there is certainly a presence of heat.

T - Yeasty brown-amber malts seem off some how and I'm having a hard time putting my finger on what's causing it. Maple syrup tastes nice and is just about the only redeeming quality. The dry nutty kick to the finish and odd sweetness is cloying. A touch of earthy dirty wood too.

M - Medium-full bodied and rich with an attacking, cloying dry sweetness to the finish. No alcohol heat at all. The flavor comes across incredibly thin mid-palate.

D - I'm pouring this out. Each sip feels like a mistake I wish I hadn't made. The flavor and feel are both off and don't have many redeeming qualities to them at all. I like the maple syrup addition to it but that's really about it. This beer needs a lot of work. Note - If only the notched date made sense.

2.55/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours a deep brwon with red hints showing thru, small tan head no real lace just splotches is all.

Aroma is big malt some maple sugars and alcohol, where are the nuts oh well not too bad smell.

Taste is malty some maple sugar flavors with a big alcohol kick and lingering burning felt. Finish is sugary maple syrup and alcohol burn. Needless to say not impressed with this one some decent malts but no real nut flavors for an Imperial Nut Brown oh well.

Mouthfeel is lighter then I was expecting, maybe the alcohol played a part in lighting it up a bit.

Drinkability is not good, wouldn't have again. Too much alcohol noticed, why? Lots of brews can hide or blend 9.8% or more well enough.

2.56/5  rDev -31.2%

I stored this in the fridge and let it sit for a bit at room temperature before pouring into a Newcastle Brown Ale glass. It was a dark mahogany with very little light getting through and had a nice fluffy head. Nose offered up a sweet, alcoholic blend of oranges and wine.

Sweet, slightly boozy flavor with a faint hop twang. The finish is bland and you are left with an alcoholic taste in your mouth. I didn't care for the flavor at all. It's too boozy and, even with all the sweetness, I don't get the nutty, toasted malt sweetness I'm looking for in this style.

I didn't care for this one as much as the brewer's standard Maple Nut Brown Ale (which is a nice beer). The other beer is easy-drinking and has a nice, mild, malty sweetness (not an alcohol sweetness). For me, this one is boozy and syrupy and kind of gross. However, don't let me detain you. I encourage you to crack one open and try it yourself.

2.6/5  rDev -30.1%

I must say, I was truly let down with this one. It poured a quite cloudy dark brownish-red colour with a HUGE foamy khaki coloured head. The smell was amazingly sweet with a powferul alcohol punch. The taste? More of the smell, quite honestly, with a rediculous amount of sugar and alcohol. There's no doubt in my mind that maple syrup is involved in the brewing process of this one. Enormously sweet, and enormously alcoholic. I didn't really care for this one, especially in such a large serving. This needs to be an 11,2oz bottle, certainly not a 22oz'er. Very rough and quite strong. I have had brews 11, 12, even 15%abv, that were easier to drink than this. I'm sure this has its fans, but I didn't care for it, thanks.

2.61/5  rDev -29.8%

Viggo shared this one. thanks eric!

12oz bottle. sampled feb 7/09.

pours deep reddish brown with a small very dense brown head. the head drops fast and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is ok. light alcohol. nutty - peacan, hazelnut, bit of almond. there's also a fishy soy sauce thing going on too that's not so nice. smells like a sushi restaurant. rice. white bread. cracker.

taste is pretty similar to the aroma. there's the definite nut brown character - bread, cracker, mixed nuts - but paired with fish, rice, and soy sauce. low bitterness level. bit of alcohol.

mouthfeel is good. medium-light body. medium-light carbonation level.

drinkability is not great. the fish/soy thing is pretty off-putting. balanced and otherwise kind of nice, but i just can't get past that.

2.66/5  rDev -28.5%

12 oz bottle, I believe received from mikesgroove in a trade a while ago.

Pours a clear dark ruby red, brown out of the light, thin off white head forms, quickly drops to a thin ring around the glass, some nice lacing sticks to the glass, looks pretty good. Smell is neat, very sweet, nuts, brown sugar, maple, caramel, biscuits, pretty interesting maple and nut component, some alcohol comes through, a bit of fruitiness, I like it. Taste is similar, quite sweet, brown sugar and maples, quite nutty, a little bit of soya sauce, raisins, biscuity maltiness and lots of sweetness in the finish, alcohol comes through, almost a fish/soy finish, pretty strange. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, almost syrupy, lots of maple, weird fishiness = not so drinkable. Kind of a mess, not sure whats up with this one, but can't say I enjoyed it. Thanks Mike!

2.71/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

So, apparently, Tommyknocker and their new labels have entered the Chicagoland market. Okay. This stuff pours a clear russet-garnet topped by a half-finger of ashen khaki foam. The nose comprises rich caramel, sweet coffee (imagine sniffing the air at the mall right at the edge of the food court where there's a coffee "store" and a candy store right next to each other), mild cashew, and a hint of cocoa. The taste holds notes of fusel alcohol (up front and in-my-face), burnt nuts, toasted malts, and bitter coffee. Things took a turn from the pleasant and sweet to the unexpectedly crass and bitter. Shame, really. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, what could have been a solid beer (judging by the smell) instead allowed itself to succumb to the Dark Side, with a flavor combination that made me harshly grimace with every sip.

2.74/5  rDev -26.3%

12 oz bottle at 48 degrees into a Stone IRS tulip.

A: It pours a very dark mahogany color with a finger and a half of light tan head that has great retention and laces very well.

S: Maple, sour dark fruits, nuttiness, and booze.

T: Nothing sticks out too much despite its strength; maple syrup, toasted bread, hazelnut, and some booze.

M: It has a thick mouthfeel that coats the palate with a bubbly/foamy stickage. This makes it very chewy.

D: It began promising but there is a lot wrong with this.

2.77/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a very dark reddish brown. Thin brown head, dissipates quickly, leaving little lace.

Aroma is caramel, brown sugar, very light hops, and maybe a hint of alcohol.

Taste is sweet, but not really distinct. Not really getting much malt flavor. Hops start coming out towards the finish, but then even they are overshadowed by the alcohol bite.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Malt really doesn't punch through in this sample, I get alcohol, some really faint hops and not much else. Honestly, I was shocked that this beer was reviewed this well, as I don't find any character to it at all.
Can't say I'll be buying this one again.

Imperial Nut Brown Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery