Imperial Nut Brown Ale | Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery
Colorado, United States
tommyknocker.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Commemorating the 10th anniversary of Tommyknocker Brewery, this special brew is meticulously crafted with pure maple syrup, the highest quality chocolate and crystal malts and is accented with the finest blend of European and American hops. Imperial Nut Brown Ale, at 9.8% alcohol by volume, is a bigger, bolder version of their Maple Nut Brown.

Added by Bierman9 on 12-17-2004

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

Yo Dr. K... Thanks for the beer.

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a tulip style pint glass.

A) This pours out a burnt brandy color. There was not much head, but a thin layer of foam did stick around. Not much lacing.

S) A strong sweet malt aroma. Maple syrup and nuts. It made me want a plate of pecan pancakes.

T) Follows the nose pretty closely. There is a bit of booze to this one, which wasn't a surprise based on the ABV. I would have liked it to be slightly less detectable.

M) Pretty full bodied, not much carbonation. It was fairly smooth. A boozy aftertaste awaits.

O) A nice effort here. I liked the maple syrup. I'll probably just stick to my old standards as far as brown ales are concerned, but this imperial was a nice change of pace, and worth a try.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Served in a Duvel Tulip

A - Pours a dark brown with a chocolatey head large amount of head which hangs out for some time. Fairly translucent.

S - Smell is malty, sweet with a little bit of hops, and a bit of chocolate, alcohol, some dark fruits

T - Taste is malty up front with a good amount of maple syrup sweetness, slightly bitter in the end

M - Thick, very smooth with a little bit alcohol bite at the end.

D - Drinkability is very high, excellent nut brown, the best I've had in this style

3.32/5  rDev -10.5%

12 oz bottle. Best by 5/14/12.

Very deep brown in color, lighter on the edges, but nearing black in the middle. Active, khaki head bubbles up to a finger and a half, then settles out to a misty cover.

Hazelnuts, dark bread and some cola on the nose. Maple syrup sweetness as well. No apparent hop profile.

Full, bready malts, with a nutty body. Semi-sweet chocolate and maple syrup. Woody and slightly bitter towards the finish. Creamy vanilla finishes out the flavors.

Good flavors, but honestly, nothing that new or spectacular.

2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

12 ounce bottle - $2.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown body, clear, and with a short-lived, light beige head.

Smell: Moderately sweet-scented and, with just a bit of warmth, adds a noted fusel tone to tickle the nostrils beyond the modest notes of maple, store-brand cola, unsweetened chocolate powder.

Taste: Sweet tastes of brown sugar, molasses, and alcohol-soaked toasted bread crumbs as well as the aforementioned maple syrup. Dark fruits. Faint, bland chocolate hint. Very low hop character. It just doesn't seem particularly complex, folks. Growing sweetness as well as an alcoholic bite culminating in a sweet, warm finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: It's been a good, long while since I last tried INBA. About 6 (six) years by my guess. I fully recall not digging it then, and I'm just not really digging it now.

2.86/5  rDev -22.9%

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Poured a dark brown color, moderately hazy, with a decent cap of off-white head that left a bit of lacing. Woody aroma, nutty, and a little soapy, some booze. Taste of roasted malts, nuts, a little much on the boozy side, with just a hint of maple sweetness and brown sugar. A bit on the harsh side, and somewhat watery. Might have been better if, well, it wasn't a brown ale. Medium mouthfeel, and overall just a bit lacking in flavor, due to the general blandness I usually experience with brown ales, and with the alcohol thinning it out too much. I probably wouldn't want to drink this again.

3.94/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic.

This isn't really a looker, a deep brown with a tiny head that doesn't hang around for long. The aroma is pretty good though, a nice roasty, alcoholic malt smell, with a bit of nuttiness. The taste is pretty good, a nice roasted malt with a bit of nuttiness, which leads into a strong finish with alcohol and nuts. The mouthfeel and drinkability are both solid, if unexceptional. Overall, this is a pretty solid brew from Tommyknocker, you could do a lot worse than this if you're looking for a nice nut brown.

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

App- This brown has an opaque dark chocolate body with lighter mocha highlights. There is one finger of a bubbly and tawny head. It is a very dark brown ale.

Smell- A sugary sweet maple is very present. There is also some earthy hop smell, that is almost vegetal in nature.

Taste- A roasted malt is the most defining characteristic. The malt sweetness isn't really in the taste. As the drink heads to the finish, a pepperiness mixes with that earthy, vegetal hop. The alcohol makes the finish warm and almost harsh. The malt should be less roasted I believe. The warming and over roasted malt doesn't do this any favors.

Mouth feel- This beer has a decent medium bodied feel, but would be helped out immensely by toning down the alcohol.

Overall- This is an interesting beer that tastes more like an RIS than anything. It certainly doesn't taste like any brown ale I've ever had. I know I'm harping on it, but the alcohol is masking what could be a much better brew.

3.96/5  rDev +6.7%

I picked up a bottle of Tommyknocker's Imperial Nut Brown Ale last week for a $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I have tried their Maple Nut Brown Ale before and I thought it was average, so I am hoping that an imperial version of that beer will be better, so lets see how it goes. The bottle had the number two and eight notched on it, I don't know what that means, but this beer seems like it will hold up for a while so I'm not worried. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- This label looks plainer then the other Tommyknocker beers, but at least it doesn't have those cheesy looking dwarfs on the label. It poured a deep brown mahogany color that had some nice ruby highlights when held to the light. It had a half a fingers worth of off white head that died down to a really thin ring that stayed till the end.

S- The first thing I pick up in the aroma is a large amount of caramel malts that have a pretty high amount of sweetness to it that blends into a pretty noticeable amount of maple syrup. I can also pick up a medium amount of booze in the aroma, the aroma pretty much consists of sweet malts, maple syrup, and alcohol.

T- At the start I pick up a good amount of caramel malts and a little bit of nuttiness that is quickly followed by a nice and noticeable amount of maple syrup that helps this beer live up to its name. Alcohol is still present but not nearly as much as it was in the aroma. I didn't pick up much hops in this brew but I did get a nice small amount of dark fruits that along with the caramel and bready malts, kept the sweetness in check and made for a pretty balanced and complex beer.

M- Smooth, slightly warming, on the heavy side of being medium bodied, and it had a light amount of carbonation that worked pretty well with this beer.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty damn good American Brown Ale. This beer can definitely hang with the other higher alcohol Brown ales like Palo Santo Marron. This beer was much better then their Maple Nut Brown Ale, the imperial version did a great job at making all the flavors from the original more robust and tastier, the maple syrup actually stuck out in this beer as opposed to not being able to find it in the base beer. What I liked most about this beer was the taste, I liked how the maple syrup flavor showed up and all the other flavors made for a pretty complex beer. What I liked least about this beer was the aroma, it wasn't bad, it was just very sweet and not nearly as complex as the flavor. This beer had awesome drinkability, there was a little alcohol warmth, but it was pretty low and not that noticeable, I could probably drink two of these in a sitting, which is pretty good for a beer over 9%. I will for sure be going back to the store to buy some more, for $1.79 this beer is a steal, with the combination of smoothness, flavor, and price, this may be my go to Imperial Brown Ale. I highly recommend this beer, if you are starting to get bored with all the average American Brown Ales, give this one a try. I wasn't all that impressed with the original beer, so I really didn't know what to expect with the imperial version but I was pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out. So far this has been my favorite beer from Tommyknocker and I would say it's right up there with Palo Santo Marron as my favorite Imperial Brown Ale. Good job Tommyknocker, you guys really surprised me with this one, keep up the good work.

4.07/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice dark brown with hints of red. Decent sized head that is short lived with minimal lacing.

Smell: Mainly maple and malt. Some alcohol, but not a lot considering the strength of the beer.

Taste: Again lots of maple sweetness and now bread. Enough bitterness and warmth from the alcohol to offset the sweet keeping it form being cloying.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, a touch syrupy. Alcohol warmth, but not harsh.

Overall: This is the first maple beer that I've actually enjoyed. It seems like such a good pairing, but there area lot of bad executions of the idea.

3.94/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a pint glass. It should be noted that this bottle is listed at 9%, not 9.8% ABV. I'm guessing they just modified the recipe a little bit for this year.

A - Pours a deep brown with a ruby tint. Has a very thin head that disappears quickly. Some nice alcohol legs are present here. No lacing.

S - Lots of caramel and (unsurprisingly) nuttiness. Also has a pretty heavy fruity ester and alcohol aroma reminiscent of an old ale. Smells quite sweet, intensely malty and a little boozy.

T - Very sweet up front. I get a hint of maple along with some mild date-like sugariness. Alcohol becomes noticeable toward the middle, providing some bitterness and warmth. Flavors of toasted bread, almond and raisiny esters toward the finish. Good balanced flavor, but nothing that really jumps out at me.

M - Medium body with a warming (but not hot) booziness. Pleasing carbonation that doesn't overwhelm. Leaves a residual syrupy coating on the tongue after each sip.

Overall - I honestly didn't know what to expect for an "imperial" brown ale. This was a style that always struck me as a low-alcohol, drinkable session-type beer. This is definitely more of a sipper, but they still managed to catch a noticeable nutty flavor amid the booze and maple.

4.12/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a deep chocolate-colored brown with very little head. The smell of bread, nuts and a slight whiff alcohol is present. The most noticeable taste is the maple syrup, but there is a strong malt profile here as well. Alcohol is hidden rather well in this one, but you get a slight alcohol burn in the finish as the beer warms. This is a solid effort from Tommyknocker that quickly ranks among one of the best brown ales that I have tasted in some time.

4.67/5  rDev +25.9%

This beer pours a rather clear dark mahogany color with a fair amount of creamy light tan head that leaves some spotty lacing.

Right off the bat I can pick up on the deliciously sweet maple syrup aroma. It reminds me of french toast drenched in maple syrup, not boozy at all. Surprisingly smells more bready than nutty to me.

Flavor wise, it does not disappoint either. The maple syrup is there, but not overwhelming, just enough to give it some sweetness. The nuttiness comes in near the end. The aftertaste is quite pleasant given the high ABV, the nuttiness really lingers on your tongue. For a brown ale, its really lacking in the hop department though, not really a bad thing in my book though.

I really like the viscosity and carbonation level in this beer. Its got a substantial thickness to it but its not completely flat; just the right amount of carbonation.

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours very thick, and is a dark brown with a nice mocha head (this also is listed at 9% instead of the 9.8 listed above, there should be a freshness mark, but this isn't notched).

This smell is nice, maple syrup, caramel malts, nutty, this smells very rich and sweet with little hops to back to balance it out, I expect a malt bomb. Feel is thick and somewhat syrupy, very nice. The taste is a little lacking (while everything else is so great). First the ABV isn't well hidden at all, I get plenty of alcohol taste on the finish (more than anything else), this isn't quite the malt bomb I expected (although it has plenty of malts), I get some maple and caramel, perhaps a little toffee, its good except for the very dominating alcohol after flavor lessens its appeal, its still good but I thought it was going to be so much better from the pour and feel. (It is something I'll buy again when I'm in the wee heavy type of mood).

Imperial Nut Brown Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery