Blood Orange IPA

SCORE
Very Good
Blood Orange IPABlood Orange IPA
Notes: None
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 3.25 by njbusa from New Jersey

Rated: 4.31 by summitsippin from Colorado

Feb 15, 2021
Rated by Sellen from Connecticut

4.27/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
8/5/2020
Dec 05, 2020
Reviewed by jadpsu from Georgia

4.18/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
Came in from Colorado
LOOK: Pours a light, mostly clear, copper and orange with gold hues.
AROMA: I get an orange cream-sickle; like scent, and some pungent citrus.
TASTE: Very orange but low on other citrus but do pick up some peach.
Surprisingly quite malty.

Rated: 4.51 by BobbyOlson from Michigan

Sep 08, 2019
Reviewed by beergoot from Colorado

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%
Excellent reddish-orange body; lively carbonation; head is thick and sculpted, long lasting; rings of foam drop down the glass. Smell sings fresh squeezed orange juice. Nicely balanced mixture of light malt, fruity esters, and tempered hop bitterness; biscuit; orange; a hint of lemon. Medium body; crisp and lightly prickly on the palate; dry overall.

Can bottom states "BEST BY 12/04/19". Tommyknocker beers never really grabbed me, but this one is mighty fine. It comes across well-balanced and nuanced, and drinks easily. Good IPA stuff...
Aug 26, 2019

Aug 06, 2019
Reviewed by Bitterbill from Wyoming

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5
Can best by December 9th 2019.

It pours a not quite clear gold with a good head of foam that shrinks to a fine layer after a few minutes. As I tilt my glass from side to side, there is some lacing.

I take a few whiffs and thank goodness, I can smell blood oranges! The boldest nose of the fruit that I have ever encountered, I reckon. Citrus bitterness lies beneath.

The hop bitterness kind of swallows up the blood oranges in the initial sips and had me worried because I thought that the smell was primo. The fruit does show up but mostly in the finish, darn it. So promising. There now, the blood oranges seem to be gaining momentum now that I am aboot half way through. Whatever malt presence I get seems to be toasted.

The mouthfeel is fine and there's a long lingering flavour of the oranges that lasts to the bitter end.

Looking for a blood orange IPA? Give this one a shot.
Aug 03, 2019

Rated: 4.3 by Ern28brn from Texas

Jun 19, 2019
Rated by ChrisBeerDrinker94 from Colorado

4.81/5  rDev +26.6%
Great IPA. Different as well. Tastes like straight oranges with minimal hops at the end. Definitely feels smoother than 55 IBU’s. Great session IPA
Jun 10, 2019
Reviewed by Nass from Florida

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
I like can artwork, great use of color. There is a best by date on the bottom of the can as of 8/12/19, so that tells me that my beer is still fresh. It pours an orange type of color. On the nose I'm picking up the blood orange. On the taste I'm picking up some blood orange as well but it's not overly done, there is some bitterness that lingers towards the finish. Furthermore, I also see lots of tiny looking sediment floating around. I like this IPA, this is a well made blood orange IPA. If you're into this style then you ought to check this beer a try. Cheers! B
May 02, 2019

Rated: 4.21 by RDW from Nebraska

Oct 27, 2018
Reviewed by Sigerson from Colorado

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
Poured from a can with a best by 10/22/18 date. Thin, white head. Little lacing. Looks nice in the pint glass. Hazy orange color with a few bubbles floating to the top. Not getting much orange or citrus in the nose or on the palate. Hoppy enough for a nice IPA. I like the mouthfeel. The hops linger way beyond the swallow. You know you're drinking an IPA. I like big, bold flavors though so I definitely was looking for more orange. Maybe it's better on tap. I'll give it a try next trip to Idaho Springs. I'd buy it again.
Sep 30, 2018

Rated: 3.75 by jgunther71 from Illinois

Jul 23, 2018
Reviewed by DenverHopHead from Colorado

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
Poured from a 12oz can with a best by date of 11/19/18; into a pub glass.
Appearance- a slightly dark orange with some floating sediment present to go with several bubbles; head is an off white ring around the top and a couple of bubble islands floating along the surface; lacing is minimal.
Smell- strong blood orange and some citrus candy.
Taste - the blood orange is clearly at the forefront, however, not as dominating as I feared it might be. Not bad at all really, but still a little too much orange and less IPA.
Feel - light body, moderate citrus sweetness and the right amount of bitterness to finish!
Overall- I like what TK did with this one and I’d like to see them experiment with a grapefruit, pineapple or perhaps a peach version; I’m not a big fan of blood orange, but feel they delivered a really nice fruit forward IPA.
Jul 06, 2018

Rated: 4.2 by Justincredble from Pennsylvania

Apr 05, 2018
Reviewed by NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.96/5  rDev +4.2%
Tommyknocker Brewery & Pub "Blood Orange IPA"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BEST BY: MAR0518" and sampled on DEC1117
$2 @ Giant, Havertown, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Well it sure smells like blood orange. The body is a hazy amber in color beneath a short head of off-white foam. The flavor follows with sharp orange amidst grainy malt. It's bright and refreshing and interesting, and the flavor It's nicely balanced between the two, and a median bitterness balances it. This might be the best blood orange IPA I've ever had, and although I know it's just from "natural blood orange flavor" I don't care as it's quite nicely balanced and refreshing. It's easy to drink despite it's IPA status, and 55 IBUs and 6% abv status. I'd gladly have this again, and I hope to re-review in the future as it as I'm just giving it a quick once over right now, but I'd still call it a highly drinkable fruit-infused IPA regardless. Nicely done. Well balanced and rounded. Certainly well worth trying.
Dec 11, 2017