Blood Orange IPA

Blood Orange IPABlood Orange IPA
Notes:
Reviews: 16 | Ratings: 64 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

Excellent reddish-orange body; lively carbonation; head is thick and sculpted, long lasting; rings of foam drop down the glass. Smell sings fresh squeezed orange juice. Nicely balanced mixture of light malt, fruity esters, and tempered hop bitterness; biscuit; orange; a hint of lemon. Medium body; crisp and lightly prickly on the palate; dry overall.

Can bottom states "BEST BY 12/04/19". Tommyknocker beers never really grabbed me, but this one is mighty fine. It comes across well-balanced and nuanced, and drinks easily. Good IPA stuff...

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Can best by December 9th 2019.

It pours a not quite clear gold with a good head of foam that shrinks to a fine layer after a few minutes. As I tilt my glass from side to side, there is some lacing.

I take a few whiffs and thank goodness, I can smell blood oranges! The boldest nose of the fruit that I have ever encountered, I reckon. Citrus bitterness lies beneath.

The hop bitterness kind of swallows up the blood oranges in the initial sips and had me worried because I thought that the smell was primo. The fruit does show up but mostly in the finish, darn it. So promising. There now, the blood oranges seem to be gaining momentum now that I am aboot half way through. Whatever malt presence I get seems to be toasted.

The mouthfeel is fine and there's a long lingering flavour of the oranges that lasts to the bitter end.

Looking for a blood orange IPA? Give this one a shot.

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I like can artwork, great use of color. There is a best by date on the bottom of the can as of 8/12/19, so that tells me that my beer is still fresh. It pours an orange type of color. On the nose I'm picking up the blood orange. On the taste I'm picking up some blood orange as well but it's not overly done, there is some bitterness that lingers towards the finish. Furthermore, I also see lots of tiny looking sediment floating around. I like this IPA, this is a well made blood orange IPA. If you're into this style then you ought to check this beer a try. Cheers! B

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can with a best by 10/22/18 date. Thin, white head. Little lacing. Looks nice in the pint glass. Hazy orange color with a few bubbles floating to the top. Not getting much orange or citrus in the nose or on the palate. Hoppy enough for a nice IPA. I like the mouthfeel. The hops linger way beyond the swallow. You know you're drinking an IPA. I like big, bold flavors though so I definitely was looking for more orange. Maybe it's better on tap. I'll give it a try next trip to Idaho Springs. I'd buy it again.

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz can with a best by date of 11/19/18; into a pub glass.
Appearance- a slightly dark orange with some floating sediment present to go with several bubbles; head is an off white ring around the top and a couple of bubble islands floating along the surface; lacing is minimal.
Smell- strong blood orange and some citrus candy.
Taste - the blood orange is clearly at the forefront, however, not as dominating as I feared it might be. Not bad at all really, but still a little too much orange and less IPA.
Feel - light body, moderate citrus sweetness and the right amount of bitterness to finish!
Overall- I like what TK did with this one and I’d like to see them experiment with a grapefruit, pineapple or perhaps a peach version; I’m not a big fan of blood orange, but feel they delivered a really nice fruit forward IPA.

3.96/5  rDev +4.2%

Tommyknocker Brewery & Pub "Blood Orange IPA"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BEST BY: MAR0518" and sampled on DEC1117
$2 @ Giant, Havertown, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Well it sure smells like blood orange. The body is a hazy amber in color beneath a short head of off-white foam. The flavor follows with sharp orange amidst grainy malt. It's bright and refreshing and interesting, and the flavor It's nicely balanced between the two, and a median bitterness balances it. This might be the best blood orange IPA I've ever had, and although I know it's just from "natural blood orange flavor" I don't care as it's quite nicely balanced and refreshing. It's easy to drink despite it's IPA status, and 55 IBUs and 6% abv status. I'd gladly have this again, and I hope to re-review in the future as it as I'm just giving it a quick once over right now, but I'd still call it a highly drinkable fruit-infused IPA regardless. Nicely done. Well balanced and rounded. Certainly well worth trying.

2.84/5  rDev -25.3%

On-draught at a sports bar:

Heavy on bready caramel (I assume caramalt), with a zesty citrus edge. Finishes grapefruity, with a lingering pithy bitterness. If I tried it blind, I'd swear up and down it was fruited with grapefruit instead of blood orange.

C / AVERAGE

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy, beige/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of oranges, little else. Taste is oranges, grapefruit, mild bitterness, no real malts to speak of. Feels medium/light bodied in the mouth and overall is decent, but nothing special.

3.84/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

In winnowing down the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody, I have been provided the (inadvertent) opportunity to conduct brewery horizontals and while I drank some Tommyknocker beers earlier this year, others from them are coming available, causing me to indulge in what I refer to as "chipping" - onsie/twosies here & there just to keep current. It really is no wonder that I have difficulty keeping up.

From the bottle: "Colorado Mountain Town Craft Beer"; "Ale Brewed with Blood Orange"; "55 IBUs"; "Tommyknocker Legend [-] Tommyknockers slipped into the mining camps of Idaho Springs in the 1800's with the discovery of gold in our mountains and streams. These mischievous elves, though hardly ever seen, were often heard singing and working. They guided many fortunate miners from harm's way and to the gold they sought."

I Pop!ped the cap & gave it a moderate-to-heavy pour since it was a very fresh bottle. I will readily admit to having seen some flocculate on the punt in the bottom of the bottle, so I agitated it well beforehand, in case that was the blood orange that needed to be in suspension. It formed two fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with good retention that left good lacing in its wake as it fell. Color was a cloudy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose was redolent with orange! Mmm. It made me think of those jelly orange slice candies from when I was a kid. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was very orange with a hint of caramel from the malt. Now, I was thinking of the Brach's center-filled caramels from my youth at my maternal grandparents' house. Next, a conundrum - how to rate this on taste. It was up to billing in terms of the blood orange, but lacked the standard in-your-face hoppiness of an AIPA. As a self-avowed, self-described hophead, I really did not have any problem with it. The IBUs were high enough to keep me satiated & the taste was quite different and very pleasant. Finish was semi-dry and very orange-y. I guess that you had better like the taste of oranges going into this one! YMMV.

12 oz. Bottle

Pours a nice yellow/orange color, pretty nice carbonation, with a pretty nice one-finger thick/creamy off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing behind. The nose is hoppy, malty, with some citrus. The taste is hoppy, slightly malty, with some citrus. Medium body. Overall, a pretty tasty brew.

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

This was a pretty decent IPA, with the blood orange fruitiness balancing out the hops. My first impression was more of the hops, but the citrus came through as I kept going and the beer warmed up a bit. Nice orange color for sure, an indication that the fruit isn't going to get buried in the rest of the brew. A good addition to their roster.

3.76/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is strong orange and malts/grains. The flavor is orange, malts/grains, slightly dirty and a spicy hop/hop resin/somewhat warming alcohol finish.

3.49/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice looking color to this beer. Smell is really grapefruit like and when I say other beers are grapefruit on the nose this is really grapefruit smelling. The flavor follows the smell but it's not the most wonderful flavor. It's like slightly sour grapefruit juice that ends with a slightly bitter malty/hoppy beer finish. The aftertaste is pretty good but the initial taste is overly fruited. Decent feel to this beer and crisp finish. Mixed bag I guess.

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Best by 12/12/16. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy glowing orange with a fluffy off-white head that slowly falls leaving great retention and very sticky lacing. The aromas are nice. Tons of orange and sweet cream. Malts are present, but the citrus shines. The flavors are clean and not too bitter. Lots of blood orange along with some hints of pine. Fresh grass is there. The hops and malts are balanced. Alcohol goes completely unnoticed. Mouthfeel is light and a little thin with moderate carbonation, but still has a nice body to it. Very smooth and very easy to drink.

This is a nice "fruit IPA". Maybe it's not my favorite "fruit IPA", but it's definitely not my least favorite. Nice use of blood oranges. Not bad at all.

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The best citrus/grapefruit IPA I've had so far.
Pours, very true to the name, a very translucent, orange color with a tight, white head. Other beers of this style smell and taste like orange rind and have mouth puckering bitterness and metallic notes. This beer, however, has a deep grapefruit aroma and flavor. Not too malty, very crisp and refreshing.
I very much would like to drink this again.

3.52/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

new one from these guys. citrus in ipa is all the rage right now, why not get in on it? seems blood orange is the most in vogue of the fruits, farmers all over the world must be stoked. this isnt a bad beer, but for me anyway, it was a lot more fruit beer than ipa. the blood orange is leading the charge from the redder color to the sweeter aroma to the tangy citrus flavor. its way ahead of the hops, and the grain is also a bit much with the fruit sugars, it comes across heave and less refreshing than it sounds like it should be. still, the fruit aroma and flavor is relatively true to the fruit, and while i think a lot of stuff these guys do is kind of a gimmick, i think they have this one an honest kick at the can. i expect them to launch it pretty hard, i have heard both bottles and cans are in the works, and i am sure this will sell well. at the very least, everyone in town will buy it at least once. a few of these would be plenty for me though, its too sweet and the hops are more bitter than flavorful. carbonation is good though, and i like that its not just a fruity wheat this time around. needs to be ice cold to hold its value.

Blood Orange IPA from Tommyknocker Brewery