Nice Saison Seasonal Ale | Tommyknocker Brewery

Colorado, United States
tommyknocker.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Spring

A bright gold, effervescent summer ale brewed with a Belgian yeast strain that imparts a slightly tart flavor and spicy aroma.

Added by ChrisPratz on 05-07-2012

Liked:
3.26/5
Alströms:

4.01/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From The Fridge's cooler to my reefer to my glass in an effort to beat the oppressive heat. No guarantees that it will work, but perhaps if I am insensate, it won't bother me so much.

From the bottle: "Colorado Mountain Town Craft Beer"; "A bright golden effervescent brew that is slightly tart with a spicy aroma"; "Tommyknocker Legend [-] Tommyknockers slipped into the mining camps of Idaho Springs in the 1800s with the discovery of gold in our mountains and streams. These mischievous elves, though hardly ever seen, were often heard singing and working. They guided many fortunate miners from harm's way and to the gold they sought."

Is this beer "Nice" as in "Wow, baby, you got some nice ditty-dats!" or "Nice" as in Nice, France?

I had a rocky finger of bone-white head that withered in the oppressive heat and humidity of the day and it is still early! The heat is not record-breaking, but it is back-breaking and ball-busting and I will do all that I can to beat it. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-yellow. Nose was musty with yeast, like the time we went into "Uncle" Ben Nutto's attic to clear out old newspapers and magazines prior to an estate sale following his being put into a home after "Aunt" Eva died. The beer smelled just like old newspapers. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was dry, like white wine, very vinous, yet with a yeast-driven mustiness that left me smacking my lips. The finish was extremely dry and now I was getting a lemony taste that puckered me up like I had been drinking alum. Holy Pucker, Batman! I could barely unlock my lips to get in another sip. It was not really my choice of style, but a good example of the style.

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%

3.49/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

a very weak saison, a very watered down and Americanized in a bad way. it pours a charming golden color with some opaqueness and a good inch of white head, but it fades fast as the beer warms. the nose is more Belgian yeast than traditional saison yeast, and I don't get a lot of wheat malt in here, just some leftover feeling sweetness. there is a lot of citrus in the taste, and the hops do appear to have influenced this one at least a little bit, but it tastes and feels thin, weirdly herbal, and the yeast just isn't quite right. carbonation is also lacking, and it gets filling even though its thin for this reason. tommyknocker has the best chicken wings ever, and their beers have always been on the right side of the fence for me, albeit barely and not all of them. I wanted this to propel them to a new level, but to me it was a beer that exposes the worst parts of the brewery, and while not a bad beer at all, its unexceptional, and will fade out of memory as fast as the carbonation leaves the glass of this one. a golden opportunity squandered.

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%