Chili Beer | Calapooia Brewing Company

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by thesarahfuller:
3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.59/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Medium-bodied and amber in color.

Minimally hop presence.

According to the gal, this one is flavored with fresh Anaheim, Serrano, and Jalapeno peppers. Probably my second chilie beer ever, but proved to be quite good.

Had this one ontap in Portland. It's not overkill, not even close. I don't know if I could do a whole pint unless I had it with some food. Something good and bready, like pizza perhaps.

It has made me reconsider and open my mind about fellow pepper beers.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Reddish gold brew with a fizzy soda head that fizzled just the same. Wheat and brown rice on the nose with a faint hint of bell pepper. Light and smooth with sweet malt but quickly gives way to a strong jalapeno heat with green pepper vegetation. The heat was a bit shocking at first, but it settled in quickly. Feel is very light and nothing really shines through except for the lingering burn in the mouth. Tasty overall, but a few Scovilles fewer might have helped balance this beer out better.

4.16/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%

Although I have had this beer every time I head over to Albany, I have a taste and think - man that's gots some heat to it! It's a good starter but get the taster first to see if you think you can handle a pint - DON'T WASTE BEER! My buddy will have 2-3 pints and I wonder how he does it! It packs some heat - more heat than your going to expect...

I really wanted to write a review for this beer to tell every one: COOK WITH THIS BEER! The pub makes their chili with it and it's FANTASTIC! So my bro and I got a pint to take home and throw it in a crock pot with a pork shoulder and BLAM - instant greatness! It added so much to the shoulder I could not believe it!

If you have ever thought about cooking with beer this is the beer to do it with - I don't think you could miss...

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%

Handsome orangey amber in the Duvel tulip. Modest little head and then it's down to stray bubbles after that. It seems rather oily, so maybe that cuts down the carbonation. Not that anyone would notice after the chile flavors cut through. Some fumes of pepper boil off in the nose.

The mouthfeel-- or actually the mouthflame-- is pretty hot. It's more like a salsa heat than something you want to gulp down. Nothing seems to distract from the chile delivery system. No hint of hops. At least it's not perceptibly alcoholic.

I like ardeano's advice to cook with this stuff. It's got a great flavor. What a flavoring for malt liquor this would make, too. From the 22 oz bottle bought in Oregon.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a bright amber with little to no head

Smell is perfume like peppers, spicy peppers, alc, specialty malt, and cocoa.

Taste pretty smokin, lots of heat from the peppers, and some decent malt flavors. Not much in the way of hops.

Feel is lightly carbed and slick.

Overall this is quite unique, but could be better base beer under all the intense heat this packs.

3.69/5  rDev -4.7%

My first review and review of a chili beer. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Little to no head. I typically enjoy IPA's and this was my first venture into a Chili beer. Nice initial taste (chili powder) and its finish is strong and stays with you a while. Not overwhelming, but a beer you can enjoy sipping on. Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

4.19/5  rDev +8.3%

One of my favorite things about the annual Spring Beer & Wine Festival (Portland) is that Calapooia brings this beer year after year. I discovered it in 2007 and have made a point of having it multiple times ever since. Finally sat down to review a full glass (12 oz+/-) from the tap, my first beer on Friday.

A: Pours a slightly murky amber with a thin film of creamy whiteness, clinging as a slightly thicker ring. Little sticking flecks, otherwise no lace.

S: Huge pepper aroma, opens the nose immediately. The scent of chopped jalapeños pops from the glass; it's like a plate of nachos covered in pepper slices. Not much else, but when it's a 'chile' beer, it's about the peppers first and foremost for me.

T: Those peppers hit quickly, Serrano/Anaheim/Jalapeño warmth rolls in waves. Whatever hopping is minimized, but a bready/crackery malt does balance the heat.

M: Maybe a little thin, but the oily warmth the peppers bringing fills the mouth within seconds, chafing the troat on the way down. Carbonation is mild, lingering fresh pepper is actually refreshing.

D: I recognize that this beer isn't for everyone (given that I saw several people dump full tasters after one small sip); I also know that it's been a People's Choice winner, too. About as polarizing as it gets, I am in the camp that loves this stuff; in fact I'm salivating right now as I type my notes. Proceed with caution, but absolutely worth seeking if you like peppery heat in your beer.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.57/5  rDev -7.8%