Flat Earth Belgian-Style Pale Ale | Flat Earth Brewing Company

3.74/5
Alströms:

3.28/5  rDev -12.3%

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bomber poured into an imperial pint.

A- Dark orage color with a finger plus of off white, fluffy head. Average retention.

S- Yeast forward nose with no trace of malt or fruit. Smells a little hot.

T- Belgian like yeast hits me right off the bat. Barely any hop to speak of. Slight caramel sweetness present as well.

M- Light and crisp mouthfeel with a dry finish.

O- I thought I would give Flat Earth another try this evening. I find myself feeling the same after each and every ale I try (except the pumpkin ale). Overall, it is a decent Belgian style pale, though I hesitate calling it a pale at all as the hops are not easily detected. Slightly above average in my opinion but a nice change of pace from a daily pale. Cheers.

3.34/5  rDev -10.7%

pours out of the 22oz. bomber a clear dark amber colour with a rather fizzy thin head and thinnish lace. quite a bit of carbonation helps retain whatever head and lace is left, but the overall look is unimpressive. sugar and spice aroma...belgianesque with lots of clove and fruit driven esters. smells very inviting. taste is a nice balance of toasty malts with a sourdough flair. has some clove and nutmeg nuances that meld well with a hint of alcohol spice. euro hops lend a hand at balancing the malt and bring even more spice notes to the table. pretty tasty but the bottom falls out pretty fast leading to a very dry finish. medium bodied with a close to style, carbonated, spritzy mouthfeel that serves itself well when compared to other belgian style ales. it is damn drinkable and would be a nice offering to introduce someone to the unique world of belgian ales.

a decent belgian style pale ale that has enough character to be appreciated for the style. it's decent enough and would be a nice compliment to some funky blue cheese and/or some spicy hot wings.

3.34/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rich orange hued amber color with a bright, snow white one finger head that fleeted quickly leaving almost no lacing.

Smells of sweet belgian yeast and biscuit, accompanied by a moderate amount of sugary sweetness. Some light toasty malt in the nose as well. Very pleasant.

Biscuit and a nice chunk of sugary sweetness right away. There is some wheaty character to it as well, mildly spicy hops and a definite wheat taste in the finish. Very light but comes off as somewhat rich.

Thinner in the mouth than I expect for the style. I have had serious carbonation issues with this brew in the past, but this batch hit its mark.

Light bodied, cheap and very nice tasting, session this brew whenever I see it on tap

3.36/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: Poured from the 22oz bomber into a pint glass. A nice color with a 2 fingerhead.

Smell: A little toasted malt smell, light hops

Taste: A was a little let down with this one. The taste seemed a bit austere. Some hops came through as well as a bit of toasted malt but there just wasn't a lot of body

Mouthfeel: A nice finish but nothing to wild

Drinkability: This might be good once in a while but it isn't a staple in my book.

3.38/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange - amber color with a large off white head with decent retention. Not much aroma. Some bready malt and yeast is about it. The flavor is slightly sweet and slightly bitter, with some fruit flavor. This is a light bodied beer, which is heavily carbonated, and easy to drink. Not the best Belgian Pale Ale, but it is decent.

3.39/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a mildly hazy orange with a tight white cap of froth, a finger in height with average retention and some bits of stick on the glass.

Clove and coriander with lemony bright pepper. Malts hold a waffle batter malt sweetness and bubble gum and slight banana on the finish.

Full body with sweet caramel malt, cake batter, and sourdough. Belgian spices of clove and pepper. Finishes drying with a blast of lemon, but very tart and acidic on the finish to accompany some drying.

Alcohol is well hidden from a medium body that's very overly carbonated making the brew feel thinner, the fizz really punishes the palate at the end of the drink when exposed to a very harsh acidic finish.

A tasty beer with nice Belgian character however the astringent finish and mouthfeel that enhances the sour really hurts its status as a good Belgian pale. Comes off more like a mini sour or wild ale. Drinkable but I really had to switch my mindset to enjoy this one.

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

22 oz bomber into pint glass. The bottle art isn't the same as in the picture, must have changed recently. It has a dog with a waffle in it's mouth.

Pours a amber or copper-red like color. Much darker than the Belgian Pale Ale's I'm used to seeing, but I'm open to new things. Produces a large slightly off white head, that dissipates quickly.

The nose isn't very Belgian to me. I mean, at least not the Belgian that I'm used too. This is incredibly malty and toasty, it feels like I'm sniffing toast with maple syrup on it, literally. A slight bit of hop bitterness is also noticeable.

I really want to like this beer, but I'm just not a fan. It's way to toasty for my liking, and I like my Belgians to be fruity and spicey, this is sort of the opposite for me. It's not that it's bad, because it's not, it's just it's not playing to my taste.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Malty and sweet, pretty dang smooth. Drinkability is high, but it gets a knock from my dislike of the taste.

Overall, not my favorite beer, an average one at best. I'm a little disappointed, because I would really love to support my local brewery more. I guess I'll just have to try another offering.

3.44/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%

This is a decent beer and the second that I have had from Flat Earth. Its a nice amber color with a scant head and no lacing. The smell is grainy, malty sweet. The taste is a bit odd, with very sweet vegetable flavors like sweet potato, carrot, sweet pea, sugar snap pea, you get the idea. The taste doesn't do much else, maybe some standard American pale flavors like caramel and fruit. Not very Belgian nor good as an American adaptation. Not great, but not bad, either. The mouthfeel is good and thick, and this is pretty drinkable, but this was a bit disappointing. It could have been a stale keg, or a dirty tap line, but this could be greatly improved. Maybe more hops, maybe a different malt bill, maybe a livelier yeast strain. I do appreciate Flat Earth's efforts, as we need as many local brewers as we can get, but this could get better with some retooling.

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Amber color with average head. Generally the sense I got was of the aromas and flavors of belgian yeasts combined with american hops varieties. Enjoyable but lacked the complexity or distinct flavors that would make it stand out. I should caveat that I'm not too familiar with belgian styles.

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Thanks to morimech!

22 oz. bottle, poured into tulip glass:

Pours hazed amber with a foamy white head that slowly descends in a rocky-ish fashion, but then soon evens out. Trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of caramel, spiced yeast/bread, clove and a hint of grass.

The taste is of caramel, cherry juice, toast. There is a sour-ish/tangy undertone with some herbal/spicy notes, though ends sem-sweet.

The carbonation leans more toward fizzy than effervescent with a light-to-medium carbonation.

A different "Belgian-style" pale. Interesting cherry notes. Sweet, but has some spicy and sour/tangy and touch of bitterish balance. A unique, interesting brew.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear golden copper with 2 fingers of frothy eggshell white head. Retains with a thin filmy layer that leaves a fizzy cascade of lacing behind. The aroma is floral and VERY fruity smelling with the sweetness of the malts giving this some extra tang.

The taste is sweet with bready malts and a lot of gentle fruity accents. There is a good bit of spicy hoppy dryness as well that completely soaks up any lingering moisture in the mouth. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a firm sharpness and crisp feel to it. Maybe a bit too much heaviness to this, with the thickness of the sweeter tones really coming on strong here.

Decent but nothing really spectacular, with the syrupy texture of the sweetness here keeping the drinkibility down some for me. Worth a look but I don't think that I'll be going for another bottle anytime soon.

3.56/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into an Imperial pint glass.

Pours a nice, clear orange/amber color - nice 1/2 inch tight, off-white head that retreats too quickly (within a minute or so) and leaves no lacing at all.

I had to keep swirling this beer in order to pick up any aroma - what I did pick up was much lighter than I expected from a Belgian-style beer. Mostly a faint whiff of Belgian yeast mixed with a bit of spice. Overall the least impressive characteristic of this beer.

While this beer seemed lacking in aroma, it did provide a decent flavor - more indicative of a Belgian pale ale. Definite Belgian yeast at the front end that moves quickly to a modest toasted malt and a bit a biting spice (pepper and cloves) at the back end. Overall a pretty balanced ale.

Not bad in terms of mouthfeel - I'd consider it a medium bodied, well-rounded all that does include a fair amount of carbonation but not fizzy in the mouth. Dry finish.

Definitely a drinkable Belgian pale ale - I've had it a couple of times on tap and at that time, I wasn't overly impressed mainly because I prefer Belgian style beers that are stronger on Belgian yeast and malt characteristics. However, this bottled version was much better than I recalled having on tap several months ago and I think it would appeal to drinkers who are either new to the Belgian beer styles or who prefer a more modest take on the Belgian pale ale style.

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle with a picture of a dog holding a waffle on the label.

A hard pour reveals a smooth full body with swirling carbonation slowly rising to the surface. Not highly carbonated by any stretch, with only a briefly appearing elusive head that leaves traces of bubbles on the surface. The beer itself is nicely colored, with a deep caramel somewhere between amber and copper.

Smell has hints of belgian yeast, a little light fruit estery sweetness and very faint background funk, with lots of grainy bready notes in the middle. I was not at first overly impressed with the nose on this, but as it sits it seems to become a little more complex.

Taste has a lot of dry grainy notes, with an overtone of bitterness throughout. A little biscuity, with some dry spicy toast toward the finish. Bitterness swells at the end and has a lightly burnt flavor to it.

Feel is of a fuller medium consistency, with some carbonation notable on the tongue, but not too much to speak of overall. A bit of a mouthcoating film hangs around for a while after the swallow, but doesn't do much to enhance this one.

An overall decent beer. It's easy to drink, but lacks a lot of appeal to drink more. Could be an okay session beer.

3.62/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours clear orange/brown with almost two fingers of tan head. Head has nice retention and leaves some lacing, but not much.

S - Nice Belgian yeast aroma, a bit earthy and some bubblegum and faint banana. Also some biscuit malt.

T - A nice yeast spiciness up front, along with some noble hops that I didn't notice in the aroma. Biscuit aroma, a bit of banana. Pretty easy drinking.

M - Mouthfeel is on the lighter end of medium. Finishes semi-dry.

O - Pretty enjoyable, but not a standout. Just a nice easy drinking beer with enough Belgian influence to make it interesting.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Golden orange hue with good clarity and a moderate, off-white head with fair retention and some decent lacing.

Aroma-The first aromas that hit are intense clove, banana, and bubblegum aromatics. Underneath the clove/ester profile, there's a bit of caramel/toffee malt character, along with some light vanilla. There's also a hint of spicy hops to be had. Pleasant, though a bit bubblegummy for my taste.

Flavor-Light caramel and rich toffee malt along with bananas and a faint clove flavor slowly dry towards bubblegum and a low green hop flavor with moderately low hop bitterness. Fairly dry in the finish with brisk carbonation wiping the palate clean and a lingering hop bitterness/bubblegum flavor remaining.

Mouthfeel-Medium body with moderately high, brisk carbonation.

An easy drinking, belgian style pale ale. I was kinda so-so on this one when I started, but it definitely grew on me as I went-I could drink a bomber or two of this, no problem. Certainly not my favorite BPA, but a solid beer.

Flat Earth Belgian-Style Pale Ale from Flat Earth Brewing Company