Dark Force | HaandBryggeriet

HaandBryggeriet
Norway
haandbryggeriet.net

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

From a country far, far away, comes the only imperial Wheat stout in the known universe. This Imperial really strikes back. Made with wheat malt and wheat yeast.

Added by Sigmund on 06-17-2007

Liked:
3.96/5
Alströms:

4.16/5  rDev +5.1%

16.9 ounce brown bottle picked up recently at a local bottle shop. Distributed by Shelton Bros years ago and bottled on 03/2008; best by date of 03/2012. Batch# 144. Enjoyed out of a Blind Tiger Brewery snifter; if this is still good…

Appearance: Poured straight down the middle produced a thick, one finger fluffy dark brown head. Lots of bubble action fizzing away with the ferocity of a Berliner Weisse. After all the fuss a reddish brown head with a film was left atop a black body. Looks about right, though I’m unsure what all the fuss was about earlier.

Smell: Big sticky stone fruits, lightly roasted coffee beans and bitter dark chocolate up front. Finishes with a surprising nutty note, almost like peanut brittle. Maybe that’s what’s left of the wheat?

Taste: Follows the nose with lots of sweet stone fruits (vinous), lots of dark chocolate, some smoke, and coffee beans. A mellow alcohol blends in the middle with the fruit notes. Finishes with that nuttiness that was present in the nose, though it’s stronger here.

Mouthfeel: Creamy mouthfeel with a thin/medium body (I’m wondering if the body has thinned out due to this being almost six years old). While it is very warming the alcohol has really mellowed out.

Overall: Given this was past the best by date and it’d been sitting on the shelves for years I wasn’t expecting much, however Dark Force is still hanging in there. Looks, smells and tastes like a solid aged stout. I didn’t get any wheat notes as I know wheat, so I’m wondering if the years turned it into that nutty note that rounded off the beer. I don’t see this getting any better, so if you still have one drink it now, it’s doing great.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Well I found this to an excellent Imperial Stout. Rich and flavorful. Coffee and sweet, malty flavors. It jumped out to me like Speedway Stout or Old Raspy. Despite its strength, you hardly notice. Top notch.

Disclaimer: Although beer industry professionals (owners or employees) are welcome to join and participate on BeerAdvocate.com, we do not allow them to review their own beers and/or establishments. Reviewing the so-called competition is also highly frowned upon. All reviews and/or accounts that fail to follow this will be subject to deletion.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

3.39/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I just found one bottle, in the back of my specialty beer selling local liquor store and was like "hey I've never seen that one. I'll buy it for $7.95 and take it home and try it." Only later did I realize it had brewing info on the side: batch #75, brewed May 2007. That would make this a 6.5 year old beer!

Nice dark color with a surprisingly thick brown head for its age. No aroma to speak of, except a slight booziness. It doesn't drink boozy, though, despite it's 9% calling card. Flavor is a standard, if lightweight, imperial stout. Kinda one nite, with no extra flavors hidden beneath. Mouth feel is a bit thin too, for an Imperial Stout... Although both these last two qualities could be because of age. The bottle also says "best before May 2010"

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Batch 287, 1080 total bottles. 24.06.10 bottling date. A bit over three years old.

A: Pitch black pour with one of the biggest, darkest, densest heads I've ever seen. Head fades slowly with nary a trace of lacing. Decent retention.

S: Touches of smoke and char (burnt malts really). Bit of dark fruit and anise.

T: Huh, interesting. Definitely wheaty. A nice roasted wheat malt from start to finish. Not as smoky as I was expecting from the aroma. Just a mild, pleasing char. Pretty simple, pretty much a smooth burnt wheat from start to finish. A bit of grainy sweetness along with some milk chocolate in the middle and finish perks it up. Lingering wheat in the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and smooth.

O: Unique stout. I didn't rate it that well but honestly it's tasty and drinkable. Just very one-note. It's all roasted wheat from start to finish. Simple but good with a nice touch of uniqueness. In all fairness, I upped the scores a little because the age may have mellowed it out.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Purchased a bottle from WF in Redwood City upon recommendation from the guy stocking the beer shelves. Poured into a whiskey snifter. Reviewed from notes taken last week.

A - Pours almost a pure black with a thin tan head. Simply beautiful.

S - Bourbon whiskey, maple wood, dark chocolate, cacao nibs, and dark-roasted coffee beans. Also got some hints of black licorice. Wonderful complexity on the nose, even before sipping. Maintains its wonder throughout consumption.

T - See above. Tastes like how it smells, add some wheat breadiness and dark chocolate cake to it to make a wonderfully balanced Russian Imperial Stout style.

M - Coats the entire tongue with its creamy feel. Starts off a bit hot, but mellows as it warms. Cabonation is light-medium, which allows the complexities to emerge.

O - Winner. I was hesitant to purchase this, since I never heard of it, but the guy at WF convinced me. Glad he did. I will be seeking this again the next time I drop in. I recommend any fans of imperial stouts to give Dark Force a try. It should make you happy. I don't think there are any other wheat Imperial stouts out there.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Black brew with an almond colored head. Very large head when I poured it straight down the middle. A more proper pour resulted in maybe a two finger head.

S: There's a hint of vanilla, rather wheaty (surprise!), some fruits and coffee notes as well.

T: The alcohol hits at the very end, but it's not very noticeable. Sweet, but bitter...warm and toasty. Nicely balanced. Someone else mentioned tongue-numbing - I agree with that.

M: Carbonation isn't very strong; it goes down smoothly. Full body that's on the edge of being too much. For a stout, it's pretty easy drinking.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. Not my favorite stout, but it's very good and right up there. I enjoyed the play on the wheat beer, and it's something I'd get again should the opportunity arise.

Dark Force from HaandBryggeriet