Odin's Tipple | HaandBryggeriet

HaandBryggeriet
Norway
haandbryggeriet.net

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Odin's Tipple was meant to be a strong beer, but we changed our minds...its still strong but we wont follow the mega strong trend. It should be possible to make great beer without the extreme alcohol potency. Odins Tipple is now approx 11% abv, it’s a dark almost black beer from lots and lots of chocolate malt. Its the malt that contributes the flavor...no added coffee or anything else, Its got a great body without being old engine oil and still very drinkable due to the wild yeast we use. This beer is made with a single strain of wild yeast and the recipe is dead simple.

Added by popery on 06-02-2009

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Little bit of beige head. Black, impenetrable.

S: Yum! Dark chocolate malts. Roasted notes. Alcohol, nutty. Maybe some fruitiness.

T: Lots of roasted malts. Vanilla and blackberries. A little nutty. Bourbony alcohol. SO good.

M: Thick, silky, and smooth.

O: This is delicious. I love it, I will definitely have another if I ever come across one. Definitely recommended.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from half-litre bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass. Batch 297. Brewed 30 June 2010.

A: Pours black and viscous. Little head breaks about into whitish bubbles that cling to the side. Completely opaque; so black it sucks up the light.

S: Complex, but bourbony. Oats? Whiffs of alcohol; berries and booze.

T: Utterly fantanbulous. It is actually viscous, thick, and imposing. Lots of alcohol, whiskey-like, but also roasted malts, sweet vanilla, and blackberry. A swirling whorl of flavour and emotion. The writeup on the back sums it up well: "...the 'Hand' brewers imagine Odin in later years, when his victories on the battlefield were but shadowy memories, his reflections tended toward loftier themes such as life's meaning, and his drink would have been a deep, dark, and contemplative one." A deep, dark, contemplative brew indeed. Yum.

M: Very little carbonation after a year and a half, but smooth...it rolls off the tongue.

O: I almost gave this a 5, but something held me back. Trust your gut. That said, this is wonderful imperial stout that is highly recommended to everyone. I would love to drink again. Completely worth the price. Hot damn.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Just getting back from Japan and the "beer" they have there I have been easing my way back in to realms of beer with gravity well above water level. This beer catapulted me back in to the big leagues! Pours like some one stabbed super man with a kryptonite dagger and bled him out. So dense it has its own gravitational pull. So dark I am almost sure it was sucking the light out of the room like a miniature black hole. The aroma is of dark and rich nature. A touch of dark chocolate and a slight sweet fruit pleasure the nose. The first taste is nothing less the a shock to the taste buds. The chocolate, coffee, and light fruit. As far as mouthfeel... Did I drink a beer or eat a stake shake?! Wow that is a full flavored beer. OUTSTANDING!

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

This is very good beer if you are looking for a stout dark beer with big smooth flavor and nice ABV. I nursed one bottle for over an hour. I was content for the evening. I will be going back for a few more bottles to keep in reserve for quiet Friday nights or snowy days.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Batch 297; brewed 30.6.10

Appearance: Black as midnight with just a ringlet for a head; minimal lacing

Smell: Dark fruit, peat and a hint of funk layer on top of the chocolate and roast

Taste: Dark fruit soaked in Scotch Whisky, up front, with chocolate and peat flavors developing by mid-palate; rather boozy through the swallow, with a bit of yeasty complexity that shows up and lingers in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low carbonation; quite a lot of warmth in the gullet

Overall: I like to think about this beer more than I really enjoy drinking it as I am not a fan of really boozy beers; still, the peaty Scotch Whisky flavor adds a really interesting element as does the yeasty complexity; this is definitely not just another big RIS

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Black as night with the smallest of brown bubble lace on the side of the glass.

Huge roasted malt on the nose. Chocolate malts, burnt toast, toasted nuttiness, and roasted coffee bean aromas peak through after the initial roasted malt aroma.

Lots of huge roast. Roasted malts plus espresso/coffee, strong dark bitter chocolate, molasses, and a woody flavor. Burnt toast in the background. Alcohol is very prevalent which ramps up in the finish and spikes the tongue. Bitterness hangs around through the finish and in the aftertaste.

This is a true definition of a big RIS. I'm looking for a little something more to make this truly a stellar RIS though. Finishes a little bit thin. For the amount of roasted malt I would like a bit more body at the tail end to smooth it all out. Instead it sort of fades away rather than continues on.

[89/100]

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours pitch black, as in opaque during the pour. Have to pour vigorously to get a head, but I was able to get a finger's worth of creamy, dark tan/light brown head. Really a nice looking beer.

S: Lots of roasted and burnt malts, some dark and milk chocolate, and light smoke. Good, but fairly mild.

T: Woah! I did not expect that from the aroma. Strong dark and milk chocolate, roasted malts, and smoke. Some dark fruits in the background with a good amount of hop bitterness to support the sweetness in the beer. A tad on the sweet side for me, but a very, very nice tasting stout.

M: Very thick with light carbonation. I like the carbonation light in my stouts, this might be a touch too light. EDIT: upon drinking more bottles of this, I saw more appropriate carbonation.

O: I had heard this beer was under appreciated, and now I'm a believer. This is right up there with some of the best stouts I've ever had. It could use a bit more roast and bitterness, but a very good imperial stout.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: Oily black bodied beer with small brown head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Heavy malts that are roasty and sweet. Dark fruits are noted as well. really an aeromatic RIS.

Taste: Big malt profile with not a lot og hops coming through. The malt profile is more sweet than roasty, but its fairly balanced between these characterists. The sweet part of the malts come from notes of chocolate candy bar, dark chocolate, and subtle rasins / fig. Little bit of coffee roastiness at mid-palate and in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium boded beer with low end of moderate carbonation levels. Super smooth easily drinking RIS. It has a little bit of silkiness to it as well. No alcohol burn, its just awesome.

Overall: Probably one of the better non-barrel aged RIS that I have had it quite some time. It impressed me!

Odin's Tipple from HaandBryggeriet