HaandBic | HaandBryggeriet

HaandBryggeriet
Norway
haandbryggeriet.net

Style: Lambic - Fruit

HaandBic is our first beer in the style of a fruit lambic with added red currents and cranberries. We have naturally also added a lambic style yeast blend including bacteria and yeast of different types. Then this concoction has been aged in oak barrels for almost 18 months. The beer gets its tartness from both berries and the concoction we added. It will mostcertainly develop further given time.

16 IBU, 20 EBC
Fermented with several different yeasts and bacteria. Serving temp 8 - 10C or 46 - 50F.

Added by bark on 01-03-2011

3.29/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Acquired at a local SoCal beer store for $12.00. 7.00% ABV confirmed Bottled 10/10/12. 50 cl brown glass bottle with standard black pressure cap served into an Oskar Blues pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high; I'm in the mood for a good sour but I had one from HaandBryggeriet last night and wasn't horribly impressed. Brewed with Lambic style yeast and aged in oak barrels for 18 months.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a half finger milky white colour head of nice cream, below average thickness, and poor (~40 second) retention. Body colour is a murky vibrant copper. Nontransparent; translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. The abundance of visible carbonation bubbles suggests potential overcarbonation. Doesn't look great for a lambic, but there's nothing overtly wrong here other than the poor head retention. I'm reserving judgement.

Sm: Quite nice. Tart cranberry and other berries. I'm tempted to say cherry as well. Grape skin. It's definitely fruity, and the sourness comes from the tart fruit, not from lacto yeast. Light underlying sweetness. It's really pleasant and appealing. I'm rather impressed, to be honest. A very good lambic aroma; I'm excited to try it. Moderate to pretty strong. No alcohol is detectable. No hop aromatics.

T: Strong oak up front with some weird cardboard-y bitterness. Gets better towards the finish, with the tart fruit and berries I was expecting. Grapeskin. Still, that rough cardboard off-flavour up front is tough to get over. If only the dominant flavours were the tart sour berries/fruit like I want them to be. Little floral character, if any. No alcohol comes through. The cardboard flavour kills the balance, but there's still a lot of good flavour here; this feels like a missed opportunity. There's potential here, but the off flavours really destroy the beer. Too bitter for a lambic, which should be exclusively tart.

Mf: Acidic, with a bit of bite. Smooth and wet. Weak, thin, and even a bit watery. There's body, but just not enough. The mouthfeel misses the mark. Carobnation is adequate.

Dr: Hm. I see a lot of potential here. It has some things that really work - the tart fruit, the sour lambic yeast , the acidity - but it also has severe flaws, including an off flavour and a watery mouthfeel. Overall, I can safely say I do like it in spite of what's wrong with it, but if they resolved the issues it could be a truly great beer. Maybe with more experience, HaandBryggeriet will nail sours down, but for now it's obvious they're still novices. Love the experimentation and the attempt, but the execution wasn't quite up to par.

Low B-

2.67/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A - pours a hazy amber with no head. No bubbles.

S - oak, currants, cranberries. Bandaid. Wet cardboard. Hint of lacto.

T - weak flavor that is similar to the aroma. Watery and unimpressive.

M - thin body. watery. Very low carbonation. Barely tart for the style.

O- not impressive in any regard. The aroma was almost OK, even with some defects and the flavor was sub par for the style. Wouldn't buy again.

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Cracked in honor of surviving the 2013 Blizzard. Been holding onto this, for some reason, for a while. 2/26/2010 vintage.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a clear berry juice like hue with very little carbonation. A super thin head that fades to leave a very very subtle halo.

S - Faint faint fruits, cherries, light sour. Almost like a dulled down kriek. Barrel notes are faint. Quite faint oak and vanilla.

T - Bit of a let down here. The barrel notes are alright, solid oak and light vanilla. The fruits are there, on the fainter side again like a duller kriek. Its alright. Nothing to write home about.

M - Mouthfeel is on par for the style. Lowly carbonated, a bit thin.

O - Yeah, not too happy I wasted fridge space on this guy. Unfortunate.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This particular beer was bottled on June 30th, 2011, making it a year and a half old. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Pours a pretty orange/red color with minimal head. Not surprised there.

The smell is your typical sour funky horse-blanket smell that you get with lambics and other sour beers. Definitely getting some tart cherries as well, maybe s slight hint of cranberry as well.

The taste is not near as sour as the smell would have you guess. The bottle states that this beer was aged 18 months in oak barrels and I'm definitely getting some of that oaky vanilla flavor. The cherries are some what muted, much like a well done kriek, minus the sour power that some krieks have. The cranberries are there too but this beer is just missing that little something extra. There is a slight bit of oxidation which might isn't really doing this beer too many favors.

The mouthfeel is medium with a decent carbonation level and a proper level of acidity for the style.

Overall this was a decent attempt at a lambic. Wasn't the best I've had and definitely wasn't the worst I've had. With that being said, I'm always one to give this brewery a try and was glad I tried this brew. I'd recommend trying it at least once. Probably better when a little more fresh.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Lately I have been reading reviews as I try new beers, which I find to be both entertaining and informative. Some of you have very developed palates, which can help me realize thing I might otherwise miss. Anyhow, here goes...

A: Beautiful light cherry red and amber, likely from the cranberry. Low low low carbonation, which disappears within moments of pouring. Same to be said of any head; I think I had to agitate it a bit to get any head (no pun intended), and even then I gave it a five count before it disappeared. Poured clear and clean.

S: Can smell the sour right of the bat. Along with sour comes a little funk, cherry, and a hint of the cranberry/currant. Smells like a sour, with the fruit in the background. I noticed another reviewer said that there was a heavy "nail polish" smell, but I think that is remnant of the oak, rather than acetone.

T: Nice and sour right up front. Long ending sour with a bitter finish. The cranberry comes last, and tastes of fresh cranberries. Reminds me of when I make cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries. Next time you make a batch, just eat a couple straight out of the bag and be reminded of this beer. The finish reminds me of the bitterness that comes from tasting the rind of an orange.

M: Smooth. A little oily when cold, and thin when warm. Refreshing when cold, warming when, well... warm.

O: I'm more of a sour type of a guy, rather than lambic. This seems like a sour in disguise, as, for me at least, the fruit is not in the foreground here. I really only get cranberry/currant in the last few moments of each sip. I'd try it again, but it's not something I would seek out.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Uncaps with nary a fizzle, and pours a light rose-red colour, with a very insubstantial, but very fine head that sits in a ring around the edge of the glass. Body has a big of weight behind it, despite looking clear and fluid. Carbonation forms in a fine storm when the glass is tilted. Looks pretty good.

Nose is great. Definite lambic notes, giving a clear, direct vegetative note, like fresh olives. This mingles with a fruity acidity and a cranberry tartness. There's peppery, slightly dusty notes on the back as well. It doesn't capture some of the more subtle complexities of a rich Belgian gueuze, but it's a cracking approximation.

Taste is also good, but a little flatter and less expressive than I thought it might be. Cranberries certainly come forward here, with a big sweet-tart bite that seems to provide most of the acidity on its own. On the back we have some mild peppery and slightly vegetative characters, a little like roquette. Actually minimal lambic acidity, and it's missing a lot of funk, but it's still pretty interesting stuff.

Feel is flat, but crystal clear and bright.

Overall, this is pretty good stuff. It's no Cantillon, and perhaps it suffers from the comparison, but it's nice stuff well done, and they seem to have captured something of the classic style.

4.63/5  rDev +26.8%

Do not listen to anyone who has given a bad review of this beer.

This is the review you want to read...

Please note if you see this beer in the store buy it. No matter the price, buy as much as you can because it is one of the interesting on the market. This is the beer for someone with a sophisticated palate...if you find someone who does not enjoy this beer it's probably because they do not have a palate suitable enough to handle this beers complexity.

It sweet, it's tart, it's sour, and has an oakiness that can match some of the best wines I personally have drank.

This beer is sour and is not like anything you have ever had before but I guareentee you will enjoy.

As an award winning homebrewer fond of all styles this sour is quite possibly the best beer in the world.

3.76/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle. ½ Pint glass. Enjoyed on jul´12. Pours inviting to drink red ruby in color. Foggy with yeast & fruit in suspension. Wild yeast, acid berries & moderate maltiness to the nose. Increasing sourness at first sip slightly balanced by malty texture & subtle sweetness. Light body, soft carbonation. Funny champagne-like palate. Red currents, cranberries & grapefruit wedge hues in the middle provide a long, citric & high astringent finish. Refreshing, drinkable & quite different from boring & cloying regular Lambic fruit- style beers. Excellent pairing with Blue, Rochefort & Cabrales cheeses.

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

500ml bottle

Rusty orange-red color that is impressively clear. Head does hold very well.High carbonation level.

Mild wild character to the smell. Notes of berry and wood. Subtle but quite enticing.

Berry/fruit flavors are great. Oakiness is pleasant. Currents lend a solid tannin content which I am a fan of. Mild tartness. Not much flavors left from grains and hops. The frementation really took hold of the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel isn't scorching to the palate, while still being exciting and interesting. Very wide spectrum of flavors. Would gladly drink again some time.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

50 cl bottle was poured into a tulip glass. Bottled on 26.02.10 (Keeps for many years). It has been two years, and now it is time to enjoy.

Appearance: The beer poured a slight head that reduced and fizzed away quickly. It is a nice redddish, orange, yellow hue with bubbles coming up seldomly throughout the glass. This is all very traditional of lambics. Hopefully the yeast and bacteria livens things up inside.

Smell: awesome funkiness, tart fruits, oak, rubber products, oak, and sweet malts too. I do have to say the funkiness is great if you are into Belgium beer funk.

Taste: tartness is a little on, funkiness is alright for me. Was expecting more, but still good. The fruitiness of the beer could have been more upfront. I am used to cherries, but cranberries and currants work also.

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium bodied, low to medium carbonation, easy to drink, and very interesting taste and feeling on the palate.

Overall: Lambics is a style I am not too familiar with. Having worked the BBF twice, I will have to focus on these more since sours get most of my love. Still very nice, tart, and funky for my palate.

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Brewed 6/30/11. Dranked on 4/7/12 right after a Weyerbacher Rapture.

Cool beer - very tart, but not enough wildness or farmhouse element for me. Bright, bright red and beautiful to look at. I disagree with the reviews that say this beer needs more carbonation on it to be good, I think that's part of the beer and adds to its uniqueness. The fruit dominates along with some barrel tannins. I'll keep the other one awhile and see if the yeast builds up a presence, but it's already pretty old, so I'm a bit skeptical. Drink the yeast at the end if you like that kind of thing, I felt it enhances the experience.

500ml bottle $10.49 (seems like a fair price for such a beer). Turbid brown-pink-red color, slight head, then none. Smells sort of like a lambic, funky, farm-like, brett? Taste is more funk, slight sour, berry flavor which is quite complex. Overall I was not let down by this but I would not make a repeat purchase. Interesting.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours reddish brown with a slight ring of bubbly foam from the pour. No lace. No retention.

Odd aromas. I get the yeast, a little funk, some cranberry. But, I really get currant and even some raw honey. Not strong, but there.

Good sour up front. Some acidic tart fruit, but not sure what kind of fruit. Maybe some bitterness associated with cranberry. Acid and a little alcohol in the back of the palate as the mouth clears. Medium bitter in the finish. Acid, sour, bitter, light fruit. It kinda works.

Lighter bodied. Oddly moderate carbonation. Needed to be this way, as this has a bit of an acidic feel too.

Overall, a decent if non-traditional limbic. I think we are so saturated with hyper-fruity/sugary versions that we forget what this style can be like. A good job with this one.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

Hazy peachy red colour with a non-existent head.

Slightly acidic aroma with notes of stonefruit and hard berries. Quite good really though I wouldn't mind a touch more funk.

Moderately tart with a distinctly fruity flavour dominating. There is very little funkiness but the currants and berries really work well here. Quite good.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Good.

This is actually very nice. The characteristic tartness has come through nicely though the funk is very tame. Good fruitiness.

HaandBic from HaandBryggeriet