Titan IPA

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Titan IPATitan IPA
Notes: Titan IPA is a big, aggressively hopped India Pale Ale brewed for hop disciples. It starts out with piney hop aromas and citrus hop flavors, and finishes with a nice rich, malty sweetness that is balanced with crisp hop bitterness.

2007 European Beer Star, Nuremberg, Silver Medal, IPA
2007 Australian International Beer Awards, Silver Medal, IPA
2008 Australian International Beer Awards, Silver Medal, IPA

FOOD PAIRINGS: Grilled lamb burger, Thai green curry, roasted zucchini & pesto, Cabot sharp cheddar, carrot cake.
Reviews: 1,490 | Ratings: 4,291 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by FPWolff:
3.68/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Ok, so I feel bad rating this beer lower than the rest of the crowd but it's really not my cup of tea. Big, malty, piney flavors with overpowering bitterness that drip off the tongue make my mind go to a beer in which the hops have dropped out (sadly) -- even though they have NOT. I'm a fan of Great Divide, though, and will not hesitate to buy another 6 pack of this beer if I'm going nat'l forest skiing. It really is a Colorado homage, and I feel like I could come to like this beer more if that's what I was searching for.

Love this world.

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Pristine bright orange with amber trim and a dense cap of orangish beige that has seemingly millions of tiny bubbles that become millions of tiny pits when they burst. Thick, pocked lace is beginning to be laid down in sticky sheets and gives the impression that very little of the glass will be untouched when it's finally emptied of beer.

This a nose that hits the hop lovers among us right where we live. Wave upon wave of beautifully pungent hop oil is atomized into my waiting nostrils and makes me dizzy with anticipation. Titan smells like candied pink grapefruit sections with just enough caramel to lend olfactory interest without spoiling the hop rave. It smells a bit tropical too, but not as much as some.

Big, juicy, hoppy, delicious! The beer doesn't make any overtures toward the DIPA style, but as in the nose, the caramel malt contribution is noted and appreciated. It lurks among the hop vines, staying out of sight, adding another dimension to the already outstanding hop-dominant flavor.

I've had hoppier beer, but there's no reason that every brewery needs to engage in a macho game of hoppy one-up-manship. Great Divide has added more than enough to keep 99% of hopheads satisfied. Have I used the word 'hop' enough? Hoppity, hoppity, hop!

As expected, my glass is filthy with hop crust. The finish is on the long side, which allows the many facets of the 'hop jewel' to become even better defined. Pink grapefruit segues into orange which segues into lemon which segues back into pink grapefruit. There's a perfect point-counterpoint of bitter and sweet that makes my mouth very happy indeed. All 65 IBUs have been utilized to their fullest extent. I'd have guessed a little higher.

The mouthfeel is medium-full for the IPA style and is as lush and as smooth as the day is long (and there are only a handful of days longer than today). The beer slides down like summer weight silk and makes me want to keep drinking for the mouthfeel alone. Well, okay, the hopiliciousness has something to do with my need to gulp this nectar.

This is, without question, a Titan among IPAs. I have no desire to split hairs and say why it isn't ranked among my very favorites. Suffice it to say that this beer, at this point in time, is scatching my 'hop itch' with a vengeance and is a beer to be reckoned with for all who love humulus lupulus like they love life itself. Great Divide made a convert of me a long time ago. Titan IPA is simply the icing on the cake.

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am a big fan of Great Divide. I have heard, however, that this variety is very bitter and is like a palate wrecker. But as a hop head, I embrace the challenge. And with a medium 7.1% ABV and 65 IBUs, I think that I can handle this IPA.

Look-It pours a clear light amber color which shimmers light gold in the light which makes for a nice contrast. However, in an oblique lighting it takes on a coppery red hue which makes this beer look very versatile. Extra points for that! The head is egg-white foamy and has billowing fingers like a sponge if you pour vigorously. The lacing is thick, globby, and foamy which is also quite unique.

Smell-I get earthy piney hops and caramel malts. The citrus that I get is lightly orange and grapefruit. I also get flower aromas like clover and dandelion.

Taste-I get the sweet caramel malts that are not overly sweet. The hops manifest themselves through a piney earthiness that is tinged slightly with essences of lilac and clover. The bitterness is well-balanced with the malts which also have a smoky/toasted grain to it almost like buttered bread. So far I am quite impressed with the not-so-subtle flavor, aroma, and visual characteristics of this brew.

Mouthfeel-It is medium-bodied and sweet, but not syrupy. It has a sticky component and a lingering caramel/pine partnership with a tinge of citrus. It is so pleasant if you pay close attention. If your palate is idiotic, then you won’t enjoy the most fine subtleties of this brew that are quite obvious to my advanced palate.

Overall-This beer really did surprise me. I started out doubtful, but even with a slightly old bottling date I was very impressed with the finer qualities of this beer. I drink for the experience and not the buzz (but the buzz is a plus of course, LOL), and this brew has it all. It is well-balanced and enjoyable. It is sweet but not too much. It is hoppy and bitter but finishes clean and the flavors are well integrated. Cheers, Titans!

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Pours a beautiful copper-toned color with tons of clarity, and a nice foamy head. Smell is of pine trees and the fresh morning dew in an evergreen forest. Flavor begins with pine needles, some sappy resin, and then a bready/caramel-like sweetness peeks its head out from the bitter explosion of hops, before some residual fruit comes forward - not tropical fruit, mind you...some citrus but also lots of berry and some pink grapefruit in there too. The nice thing about this beer is it remains complex for 10+ years even by modern standards of IPA flavors, remaining a classic interpretation that just tastes like it had to be from the mountainous land of Denver. A perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness. Great minds drink alike, indeed!

4.14/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This IPA has the perfect amount of malt holding up a fine, sharp presentation of hops. My preference is not for sticky, treacle-y IPAs -- veer towards clean, crisp hoppy finishes. This is a wonderfully balanced beer that successfully brings together the texture and flavor of burnt sugar and roasted backbone with bitter hop and citrus flavors.

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I hadn't tried any new IPA's in a while and I saw this sixer and had to grab it.
This is a pretty one... a nice clear orangish color with a nice head and little bubbles of CO2 rising up in my Pitfield pint glass.
On the nose there is a nice hop smell but this one doesn't beat you over the head.
My first sip smacks you in the head with hoppy fun! Supposedly this is made with malt, but I'm not picking up a lot of it.
A very smooth mouthfeel that is helped by the right amt. of carbonation.
A very drinkable IPA that I will enjoy when another one of when I get home tonight!

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

12 oz bottle(s)... I'm on 3 of 3, from a mixed 12 pack, served in a pint glass (all 3 times!).

A - translucent, orange color with a fluffy, tiny bubble, white head, that backed down to a little layer, leaving nice, tiny lace.

S - citrusy hop aroma, pleasant smelling.

T - very good, well balanced taste. bittering hops upfront, then the sweet malts tease your tongue before the bitterness of the hops finish you off after the swallow.

M - medium bodied, a bit slick, with mild carbonation.

D - I knocked off 3 of these before, during, and after a Mexican meal.

Final Note: Not for the 'Hoptically Challenged'.

4.06/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours an almost copper color with about 1 finger of firm foamy head that left a strip of lacing on the glass after each sip. Interestingly when I finished the beer the glass was perfectly striped with left over lacing.

The scent was of mostly pine, a bit floral and some citrus notes.

The taste is predominately bitter hops, some caramel malt, pine and floral notes. It would seem that the ABV would be high enough to be noticed, but I did not.

Light-bodied, smooth and creamy, moderate carbonation.

In all a pretty good IPA, very easy to drink, not really one of my favorites but I wouldn't mind having a few now and again.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Great Divide Titan IPA is a clear amber ale with slow-rising bubbles. It has a dense, bubbly, splotchy, yellowish head that leaves excellent lacing. The label says "BOTTLED ON: JAN 14 2005". It has a bold, hoppy aroma that's all pine and citrus. It is medium, maybe medium-full, bodied. It feels smooth and syrupy in the mouth with a slightly sticky, slightly gritty finish. It's quite bitter-- a little top-heavy with a lot of pine in the taste. It becomes sweeter toward the finish. It's pretty leafy tasting and not fruity. It's really hoppy, but not really stand-out. It's a good IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

On tap at Canal Street in Reading on 12/30/09. Dark amber with thick white head. Sweet malt and citrusy (orange and grapefruit) hops. Very nice flavor a nice balance of sweet malt and bitter hops. Crisp finish and the bitterness lingers. Medium body with moderate carbonation. I could have had several of these, but wanted to try some other things. I will be buying some of this soon for sure.

4.62/5  rDev +13%

Nice clear amber color, with a shallow white/off-white head that dissipated quickly in a pint glass. Sticky caramel aromas, mixed with some subtle hints of citrus and hops. A beautifully balanced IPA, with an initial hit of sweet toffee and caramel flavors followed immediately by bracing hops and grapefruit that cling to your teeth. With the perfect amount of carbonation to provide some vibrancy and mouthfeel, this is a delicious and very drinkable IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

4.17/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a 355 ml bottle (dated April 29, 2013) into a globe glass.

A-A slightly aggressive pour produces almost no head, just a thin collar of patchy, white foam. The beer is deep copper in color, clear, and pretty still.

S-There are some nice hop notes here! I smell orange, grapefruit, pineapple, and a bit of lemon and pine. There is just a hint of biting chalkiness and soapiness, which is offset by the mild caramel sweetness from the malts.

T-The taste lacks some of the complexity and fruit from the smell. I detect more pine and caramel maltiness here. There is still a decent wave of citrus and pineapple, but the overall impression is more bitter and sharp. A nice example of this style.

M-The beer starts out with a mildly-assertive, lightly-prickly carbonation. There is some hint of hoppy oiliness, but this beer is not terribly dank or stick feeling.

O-After umpteen different times that I have ordered and enjoyed this beer while out and about, I was pleased to finally review it at home. The smell, in particular, is a high point with loads of delicious, hop-forward flavors and just the right of amount of tan, caramel malts to balance things. The beer loses points for looks, which were pretty meh, but I will happily finish the six-pack I purchased.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.64/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%

Look: Has an amber color, nice frothy head, lacing is prominent.
Smell: Sweet and malty aroma.
Taste: Sweet and malty in the front, bitter and hoppy in the back. Clean and crisp, perfectly balanced, duly carbonated.
Feel: Very smooth and agreeable; the carbonation is perfectly invigorating.
Overall: Outstanding IPA.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Pine aroma and nice bottle bubbles. Full-bodied IPA, with grapefruit. Nicely carbonated. Malts round out the finish. Would be happy with this all night. The hop and the whole hop including the leaf, tad of mint. Refreshing. Another Great Divide winner.

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

A very well done IPA.

The hops provide a strong pine accent, while the malty background balances out the bitterness. Of course, this is an IPA, so the bitterness wins out in the end, leaving a dry finish.

I like it. It actually reminds me a lot of NG Hop Hearty, a compliment indeed.

Yeah, a very good IPA. Thanks ColoradoBobs for letting me try this one fresh from the source!

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company