Titan IPA | Great Divide Brewing Company

greatdivide.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Jon on 08-04-2003

Reviews: 1,459 | Ratings: 4,134

For me, this is the OG! Had my first taste of this many years ago and I always come back to it. This beer is paired perfectly with a long, July mountain bike ride in the desert, or an eight hour day of shoeing colts in February. There are many great IPA's out there, especially in Colorado, but this is as good as it gets.

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 can into a pint glass

Pours a golden to light caramel in color. About 2 fingers of a white foamy head that lingers for quite a while.

Nose is dominated by pine. Undertones of fresh cut grass and very minor hint of citrus. A cracker scent is also detectable.

Upon entering the mouth, a pine flavor dominates and fills the mouth. Grass and a small lemon flavor follow and compliment nicely.

Very light and bubbly in the mouth. A little on the lighter side, but good mouthfeel overall.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: Clear, copper color with one finger of thick, white head that fades slowly with a nice curtian of lace.

Aroma: Bready, caramel malt over some spicy, citrus and pine hop notes

Taste: Creamy, chewy, sweet malt backbone with pronounced bitterness right off the bat, becoming quite bitter towards the finish. Bitterness is piney and resinous. A little malt sweetness pokes through on the finish with the bitterness lessening in intensity but still lingering.

The Rest: A great IPA. Balanced yet assertive without any harshness.

4.01/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz.

Pours a clear light amber. Sudsy white head retains well as a film.

Smells of caramel and biscuit malts with a maple and pine hoppiness.

Flavors of honey, biscuit, and floral hops. Maybe some hibiscus in there.

Medium to light body with stinging carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

This is a pretty IPA with an average aroma and body, but a very nice and flavorful taste. Definitely worth a try for fans of the style as it manages to be a good IPA while also standing out from what you would expect. Outside of that still above average although slightly overrated in my opinion.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured into a Riedel tulip. The liquid is a dark golden amber - much darker than normal for an IPA. The pour kicks up a solid two-finger head that fades to a good film after a few minutes and leaves copious amounts of lace.

Aroma is piney, caramelly, and resiny. There are mild hints of citrus (mostly grapefruit), and a very prominent malty flavor that smells surprisingly like krispy kreme donuts. I'm hoping that the hop presence will be stronger on the palate cause it is concerning to have an IPA where the malt presence is the most notable thing on the nose.

Palate follows the nose pretty closely - super piney, with grapefruit underneath, and a strong malt presence that really does taste like krispy kreme. There's tons of resin and a bit of an astringent alcohol bite. Finish is mildly bitter, with an aftertaste of more resin, caramel, bread (aka krispy kreme), and a hint of mint. Well-balanced, but not really my favorite flavors.

Mouthfeel is super silky. Medium-bodied with a good amount of tiny carbonation bubbles that feel really soft and silky.

Overall, it's definitely well-done, but not quite up my alley. This used to be one of my favorites several years ago, but I guess my tastes really have gravitated away from pine and resin flavors. Still, there's a really great balance here, and considering that they were probably going for pine resin, they did a great job making a drinkable beer that showcases that flavor.

For an IPA, which isn't my favorite style, it's pretty darn good. Everyone loves this beer, as the ratings indicate, and it's easy to see their point. High enough alcohol to notice, hoppy enough to get that kick to it, but not overwhelming. It's still a wee bit hoppier than I like, so I don't go out of my way to get it, but every once in a while I could see having one of these. The masses endorse this beer, and you probably will too.

Bought a growler of this at a local sports bar as I don't have luck finding fresh great divide bottles. Pours amber orange with a white head that lasts. Slight smell of malt and pine. Has a subtle pine and fruity taste with a slight malt presence. Taste fades a few seconds after taking a drink. Very easy to drink and refreshing.

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

Titan IPA pours a hazy darker golden color with a nice large head. There is a very malt smell and very very earthy. The taste has some pine notes, but is very earthy, tastes like what I imagine mulch tastes like. Big full flavors. Overall its a strong, but tastes like mud.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Great divide still impresses me. Each beer is so smooth and tasty. This IPA was so amazing. Cannot wait to try the next beer they send out. I will be going to get anything they have on the shelf tomorrow. Amazing

This beer is trash. Garbage trash. My buddy and I wanted to try something new. And we made a great dishonor. Between this and the Laurelwood Workhorse IPA, we fucked up something randy. This beer boasts of balance between "...rich malty sweetness...." and "crisp hop bitterness". And they lied. To all of us. The maltiness wildly savages the hopiness, leaving an overly sweet flavor on the palate. Its relatively high alcohol content makes it difficult to choke down. I'm sad I bought a six pack, I'm going to have to donate it to to the local AA chapter.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap at The Fridge. I had no idea what this was but it was the "least of all evils" on the tap list today and I was very pleasantly surprised. Clear, orange, not a lot of head which disappeared fairly quickly. It didn't have a lot of smell but what there was smelled nice. A little pine and fruit. It had a much better taste with plenty of hops but enough malty sweetness to make it a fairly smooth and refreshing drink. The ABV was enough to take the edge off the godawful baseball game that followed, too.

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark amber-orange color. Small light brown foam head. A very small amount of lacing. Aroma has leads with lots of pine and some light citrus. Bready malts. Floral hops and a bit of grassiness. Taste has lots of bready and caramel malts. Overall, very malt driven. A little bit of sweetness. More of the pineyness from the aroma. Mouthfeel is medium. A little bit resinous. Sticks of the tongue quite a bit.

In my personal opinion, the taste here could've benefited from a little bit more of a citrus presence to balance out the malts. Overall, though, it's still a solid IPA.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Titan ipa
Poured into a STONE ipa glass. Unfortunatly drank notre quite as fresh as it should have been... At first, very nice looking IPA, nice amber slightly orange in colour. Nice white head fainting rapidly with a nice lacing. Does not seem too carbonated.
Nose is delicate. As usual, you find pine and citrus but on the delicate side, not pungent . You'll find bread and caramel smell.
Mouth ant taste: wow, thirst quenching ipa! Very well balanced, refreshing, not to carbonated as per see. Not agressive at all in mouth. Caramel and bread taste, little citrus and pine but not, way not dominant. Malt is rich and balances this beer in a very pleasant way...
Overall, a very nice surprise for me. Not an overpowered hopped IPA and not too malty. This is right in the middle, very interesting. Easy drinking, perfect for hot summer days by the pool...

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottled on 4/18/14.

A- Hazy orange with reddish accents. Poured with a thin 1/4 finger head that moved to a quick lace within a minute.

S- Pale malts, biscuit, some faint citrus and grass.

T - Very subdued, more like an English IPA. Mango, orange, dirt and grass on the finish, with some spice lurking in the background.

M - Carbonation is medium low, a touch watery, but very smooth refreshing.

O - Not sure if being three months old muted the hops some. Either way, this is a highly drinkable IPA that goes down fast. Will seek it out again if I find it closer to the bottle on date.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Definitely glad I grabbed this one! It stands out from other IPAs I have had without a doubt. The beer has a nice amber color with a smaller foamy head when poured and smells great. Not too overpowering with a pine scent like most IPAs have. My first sip I was very surprised. I was hit with a slight bite of citrusy hops which mellowed out with toasty malts. Its truly crafted wonderfully. I can tell this beer was greatly inspired by English Style IPAs. Love it!

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a glass. Pours a dark copper color, with minimal head that quickly leaves behind a nice lacing on my glass.

Smells of hops and a bready malt. I'm familiar with the brewery and their other IPAs, and the hop-malt balance is what I've come to expect and enjoy from them.

It tastes of piney, citrusy hops with a bready and caramel malt flavor following. The taste is very well balanced between hops and malts, with nothing being extremely overpowering.

It's moderately carbonated, and also thicker than I was expecting from a non-double IPA. Still, goes down quite smoothly.

Overall, another solid offering from the Great Divide. I was expecting a lot, and not let down.

3.63/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dated March 2014 (really the freshest I can find)

Cloudy orange pour with a quarter inch white head and scant lacing.

Mild hop on the nose and a noted sweetness. Low key tropical fruit and no apparent citrus.

Mild hop followed by a heavier malt bill. Again, low key tropical fruit that I can't really put my finger on. I'm left hanging here.

Mouthfeel is creamy in the imperial style I'm not expecting in this IPA. I'm feeling the malt weighs heavier here outdoing the hop.

Not bad but not great either. To be fair the side of the bottle does express a "rich" maltiness but not getting the crisp hop bitterness. This reminds me of when I've had extremely fresh Ithaca Flower Power and after one month the flower faded or actually increased in maltiness. I'm believing Titan fresh is the bomb but after a short time this bomb turns into a dud. I want a fresher batch and will buy when I see. As this example stands for right now it's a meh!

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

355ml Bottle from the Brewdog Online Shop (£3.50):
Copper tinged amber with a 1.5cm, foamy white head that reduces to about half that then holds. It's very clear with some bubbles rising as well.

More malty than I was expecting with some sweetness & touches of caramel but these are balanced against some pleasantly bitter hops, namely citrus and floral ones. Some background fruits including some orange and some biscuit feature as well.

Sweet malts, bread & caramel but with the hops from the nose taking more of a front seat. It's quite hop-filled with citrus & floral flavors & some grapefruit. Some pine, toasted malts & further fruits such as orange and mango round things off.

Smooth & bitter with a nice sweetness from the caramel & a wonderful balance from the start. There was moderate carbonation & the alcohol was well hidden throughout, working well with the medium body & citrus tang towards the end.

I was expecting a lot from this one and thankfully it didn't disappoint at all, going down exceptionally well with a great taste and balance throughout. Titan IPA was another fantastic beer from Great Divide and one that I would rate above their Hercules Double IPA, mainly down to the fact that it was so much easier to drink thanks to the lower abv.

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: orange-copper. Crystal clear. Medium head. Nice thin lacing.
S: slightly sweet. Flowers. Tea. Fruit. Small alcohol notes. A lot going on here.
T: Mildly sweet. Small grain taste. Mild hop flavor. Medium bitterness of pine.
M: medium carbonation and body.
O: great IPA. Well balanced. Complex and tasty.

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottling date on label: Feb 20 2014

Deep golden yellow body with a thick, rocky, white head. Wet grass and over-ripened orange aroma. Juicy, slightly sweet malt flavor with a well-balanced hop bitterness. Medium-heavy body; crisp and dry.

This may be a good example of having a supposedly fantastic IPA past its prime. The aroma was the biggest disappointment. It was rather faint and didn't have any real freshness or punch of pine and/or citrus. Taste-wise, it was very respectable with a nice balance of malt body and subtle sweetness nicely mingling with a bold yet not over-dominating hop bitterness. I'd certainly have another one if only to see if a fresher version delivers on the rather stellar BA reviews. My sample didn't reach those heights, but I imagine sampling a fresher batch may fall more in line with the opinions of other reviewers.
---------------------------------------------------
Updated review based on a canned sample canned OCT/09/15 11:15 - Reviewed 11-30-15

Original review ratings: 4.25 3.25 3.75 4.0 3.75

Heavier, fruitier aroma; pineapple.

3.84/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This was a great brew love great divde

Pour: a copper color brew with a thin foam 2 finger head.

Smell:a nice blend of pine and sweet malts

Taste: more of a citrus bitterness then a hoppy bitterness. Also has a nice sweet malt appearance but very light.

Mouthfeel: was just perfect!!

Overall: a great beer from these guys love it!!!

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter at around 45°F

Appearance: Light amber/copper with a one finger off white head.

Smell: As soon as I popped the cap and took a whiff into the bottle I smelled nothing but pine. I mean amongst the piniest aromas I've gotten from a beer. In the glass was a different story. Bready malts with undertones of tropical fruit

Taste: Bready malts, some pine, and light tropical fruits to finish it off.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. Moderate bitterness

Overall: I've been indulging in some amazing IPA's and IIPA's (Head Hunter, Dirt Wolf, Chillwave, Flower Power, Maharaja) as summer is right around the corner and this isn't even in the same ballpark. Too bready and malty for me and not enough bright fruit characteristics. Doesn't deserve the perfect score from the bros in my opinion. If I want a IPA on the piney, more earthy side, I'll grab SN Torpedo or BP Big Eye before this. That being said, this is still a solid offering if no better IPA's are available

* A bonus for how fresh this was. Only two weeks old in PA

4.31/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- poured to a pint glass. Dark orange, even brownish hue. 1 finger head, leaving a nice lace. Hazy in clarity, not necessarily appealing so I docked it a bit for that

S- at first nose I got cotton candy. Draw two brought out a good balance of malt and hops. Pine, woodsy, apple, subdued but solid.

T- lots of tasty, I mean friggin tasty caramel up front, stays with it through the palate. The hops is present, but the focus is elsewhere. The malt base is smooth. Grassy at times. This beer mellows to a nice warm smooth finish. It makes a strong and focused, yet singular statement

M- medium to aggressive hops. Surprisingly it fits this beer. The mouthfeel smartly takes the focus off the beer taste then allows your mind to wander back. Ends silky on the tongue but not milky. Well done

O- this beer is very focused. If your palate digs the groove, then it hits a homerun. If not there is not enough complexity to cover the masses. In my case, it sits well with me. Ergo, home run in my opinion!

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

solid IPA from Great Divide. this is one of my favorites from Great Divide. I have to ask where to get it here in San Francisco. i have to write more about this beer, but i will write more about my experience at the GD taproom. Located in downtown Denver, the tap room is a little bit of a step up from other taprooms i visited while in Denver. The neighborhood looks a little seedy, but the place serves some great beer. i would recommend visiting wholeheartedly. as with any great beer place, it was crowded around the 5pm hour. pints could be bought for $6. i chose to buy the samplers at 3 for $3. i could easily have had a pint of each beer i tasted.

3.84/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottled on Date of 11/04/15

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear, brilliant orange sapphire with a finger width off-white head. Fair retention, leaving behind a broken layer of suds on the surface. Fair lacing around the glass with good stick.

Smell - Floral, citrus and pine hoppiness at the forefront, with lesser notes of grass rounding out the aroma.

Taste - Soft, floral hop character accented by a touch of wood, pine, orange rind and grass. Malts come though with a bit of toastiness and caramel sweetness, providing a bit of balance to the complex hop profile. The finish is slightly sweet and toasty, with citrus and floral tones riding along a mostly piney and grassy hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body with moderate carbonation. Fair creaminess. Smooth, easy finish.

Overall - Originally reviewed on 04/08/14 with a 5-month old bottle. I'm glad I had the chance to review a much fresher sample. The hops are clearly more aggressive than my last go-round, and help to deliver a solid and fairly unique IPA. This is well made, though if I'm being completely honest the grassy/piney hop combo in the finish is a bit much for my liking.

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company