Titan IPA | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Jon on 08-04-2003

Reviews: 1,462 | Ratings: 4,151
3.36/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance - copper hue with a small white head. Bubbles streaming up from the bottom.
Smell - Okay, sweet malty with very minimal hop aroma.
Taste - Great bitterness, barely lingers. Mostly malty with some pine and light grapefruit hops to balance out. Overall a decent IPA though far from the best.

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%

Just cracked a bottle, pours a cloudy copper-orange, with a huge creamy off-white head--so big that I had to pour in stages. Kind of put off at the size of the head, but other than that this beer looks absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to dive in...unfortunately it's straight from the fridge and I want to let it warm up a little. As it warms, the head recedes and leaves a nice trace of lacing down the side.

The nose is all piney hops. There's little else in the aroma, just a hint of bready yeastiness. Virtually no detectable malt or alcohol. Not super impressed with the aroma, would like a little more pronounced malt character in the nose. That said, it still smells pretty good, but not in proportion to how good it looks!

The flavor is excellent. The pine comes through first, with a sweet, earthy malt and yeast doubleteam following close behind. There are some vaguely citrus hints, but the dominant hop character is of pine, which is a nice contrast to the grapefruity hop character of most of my favorite IPAs. There's also a hoppy astringent dryness contrasting the sweet malt, which is not at all unpleasant. All in all, top notch.

I tend to like big, creamy beers and this Titan is right on the money. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy and just about perfect. I could drink this all night. If I weren't getting ready to taste Great Divide's ESB I would do just that.

4.65/5  rDev +14%

A. I could swear I see a green tint from the hops in the creamy , rocky tan head that would not go away ! Great lacing.

S. Classic hops. Good piney, citrusy hops.

T. Big hops up front, malt backbone with a finish of big hops that last !

M. Very Smooth with a great hops taste.

D. This is definitely my favorite IPA so far, and I have had all the big boys !!

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Great Divide Brewing Company - Titan IPA

Aroma:  Pine and grapefruit in the nose.  Some malty sweetness.

Appearance:  Light amber.  Half a finger of head with some lacing present.

Flavor:  Bitter from start to finish.  Some sweetness in the middle.  Bitterness lingers in the finish.  Some pine and grapefruit.  Fairly simple hop profile.  Some astringency present as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel:   Light to medium bodied.  Good carbonation.

Overall:  Good balance between hop bitterness and malt sweetness.  Not my favorite IPA, but certainly well constructed.  I could drink a few of these on a summer day.

4.62/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass with a thick, white two-finger head. Took about 2 minutes for the head to subside but left nice lacing on the side. The beer itself gives off a golden peach color with ample carbonation.

The smell is completely refreshing. Smells of pine and citrus, particularly sweet grapefruit.
Also a subtle malty aroma underneath.

What I get in the nose carries into the taste. Definitely citrus, lemon, grapefruit, tangerine maybe. Nice hoppy flavor, with a small malt undertone in the end.

Feels very smooth, thick and not at all overcarbonated. Which leads to a drinkable beer.
Titan is a great ipa which one should always have some within reach. Not over board on hops, although hop overload is quite a treat, however titan provides a tremendous hop flavor that cures that hoppy need.

A great beer!~

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

A- Pours a golden amber with a nice one inch head and heavy lacing.

S- I pick up earthy tones, some citrus and definite hops.

T- This is a great tasting brew. It has some citrus upfront, perhaps orange and grapefruit. Then the hops take over with a nice bitterness, and it finishes with the same hoppy flavor. It's somewhat dry at the end but in a refreshing way

M- Medium bodied with lively carbonation.

D- This is a great example of an IPA. It is well balanced between the sweet citrus at the beginning and the strong hops in the middle and end. This is an easy drinking beer and one that all hop lovers should try.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hazy orange amber. Medium sized white head, somewhat fizzy. Citrus and pine hop aromatics, with a malty sweetness. Piney nose, quickly enveloped by a big body syrupy malt flavor. Intermingling are muted citrus notes with a solidly malt framework. Finish fades to a crispness with a pleasing bitterness. Mouthfeel is full

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Ok, so I feel bad rating this beer lower than the rest of the crowd but it's really not my cup of tea. Big, malty, piney flavors with overpowering bitterness that drip off the tongue make my mind go to a beer in which the hops have dropped out (sadly) -- even though they have NOT. I'm a fan of Great Divide, though, and will not hesitate to buy another 6 pack of this beer if I'm going nat'l forest skiing. It really is a Colorado homage, and I feel like I could come to like this beer more if that's what I was searching for.

Love this world.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into standard pub glass after 1/2 hour in fridge. Has a clear reddish copper color and an ample and robust head, with a slight tint. The liquid fights its way up and the head subsides only slightly, just enough to make room for the rest of the bottle's contents.

A good whiff of the head reveals the wonderful smell hops, of course. I think I can smell citrus, too.

First taste is gotten by digging through the foam to the liquid below. Very good. I taste the hops but it's not overpowering, the near perfect balance for me. There are other subtle flavors, but again very smooth and balanced.

10 minutes after the pour the glass is half gone, but a 3/4 inch head remains, almost like a flavor guard. The top half of the glass is spattered with lacy whisps of little bubbles.

When the first glass is gone I know I made a good choice. This is a very good beer for someone who loves hops but doesn't want to be overpowered. I really liked it.

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

This is a beer I've been ignoring at my own damn expense. In a nutshell, it's an outstanding American IPA. It has a pine/pineapple/fruit-cup smell. Its taste is a hop assault, splashing bitter citrus and pine across the palate and tongue. A worthy malt flavor rises briefly to confront the hop wave and cushion the mouth-puckering finish. After my first, I looked in the mirror to see if, perhaps, it had left an entire hop sitting on my tongue. It hadn't. But maybe the next one . . . .

4.16/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I like bitter. This beer has that. I nice full bodied IPA. Nice dark amber color. At first pour a nice hoppy yet sweet citrus smell. Smooth back end but a nice bitter bite. A very good IPA for my taste. I still enjoy headhunter the most but this is a close second. A very good beer for the fall season.

4.59/5  rDev +12.5%

Time to review my favorite beer.

A: Poured from 12oz bottle. A two finger, creamy beige head floats on top of an inviting, bright amber/orange body.

S: Smells great. Citrusy, floral, and piney hops. The Titan is hops, hops, and more hops.

T: It's everywhere. Lots of hop flavor that runs the gamut from grapefruit to pine. Finishes carmely sweet with the perfect amount of hop pucker and bitterness.

M: Creamy and medium to full body. It is almost chewable, but still light and smooth.

D: This is highly drinkable. I love the hops and the balance. I could drink it all day and never get tired of it. Each sip is glorious hop delight. Titan IPA is a prime example of an IPA, and I can only hope there are more out there like this.

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance: Golden amber colour with some faint haze. Very nice chunky head that lingers and sticks to the side of the glass.

Smell: Suprisingly sweet and malty smell for the style but nicely permeated with citrusy hops

Taste: First taste is lemony citrusy hops that develops into a pine grasslike flavour, quickly rounded out by smooth sweet malts with a very nice bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Fairly low in the carbonation department

Drinkability: Very smooth, very balanced ipa. One of the best I have tried.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A- Nice tan head about an inch thick that takes a while to fade into a thin lace, but sticks around for the whole ride. The beer itself is a nice clear amber color. Very pretty.

S- Right off the bat, pine needles. It's like walking in a pine forest. There's also some citrus, lemon and orange peels and a hint of maple syrup.

T- Huge bitterness up front. Citrus and honey flavors followed by tree sap and more pine needles. Akin to being slapped in the mouth with a pine branch. The malt brings up the rear and adds a nice balance to the beer. Sweet, roasted notes and a nice flavor of pipe tobacco.

M- The beer has a medium body and low carbonation, despite a persistent head. It finishes dry and leaves a bit of a sticky residue on the tongue, not unpleasant though.

Overall I enjoyed this beer very much. I don't have a lot of experience with IPAs, but this has certainly made me interested in trying some more.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Light cloudy amber with orange hues. Thick creamy head that dissipates quickly. Some marginal lacing also present.

Smell: Very floral and weedy/grassy.

Taste: Very bitter, nice floral taste. obviously quite hoppy. Tastes very similar to Two Hearted Ale. A few hints of roastyness in the background as well.

Mouthfeel: Quite similar to other IPAs, a bitter semi dry aftertaste, not too sticky though...

Drinkability: Pretty darn good, however I think the bitterness would get to me after 3 or 4...

3.04/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Looks nice, and I've enjoyed other Great Divide beers in the past, but something feels off about this one. They must utilize some type of hops that I'm not a huge fan of. I like some IPAs, but this one is a bit too piney for my tastes. Didn't smell fantastic, either. Overall, fair. It's not disgusting, but I didn't enjoy it enough to buy more.

A little disappointed.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Amber jade color, large carbonation bubbles, thin head leaving small lacing sticks whence consumed.
S: Predominantly malty.
M: Crisp then syrupy. Mouthfeel perhaps best attribute.
T: Definitely malt over hops on the palate. This however is not a bad thing. It is a fine brew to pickup at a Walmart where I've seen it to be one of the better craft brews in there selection. If it was between this and sweet water iPa for instance, I'd reach for the Titan.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Beer pours a rich copper color with a thick tan head that stays until the last drop. Smells a bit piney with a very faint christmas tree taste that finishes with sweetened malt. Gorgeous looking in the glass, tiny bubbles of carbonation. Light lacing around the glass. Starts and finishes very well on the palate. IMO, perfect balance of hoppiness. Delicious brew.

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Served in a tulip from a bottle.

A: Gave about a finger's worth of head. I tend to use tulip glassware so it would be more in a pint. Disappeared quickly with some lacing left over.

S: Not as "hoppy" as most. There is some spice in the background. Slightly disappointing.

T: Mild hops in the front. Leaves a little bitterness on the finish. It's good but I've had better.

M: Decent carbonation but I'm not picking up anything else spectacular. It would grade out the same as some of our local competitors.

D: I could have more than one of these. It's drinkable just not remarkable. I do like it.

Overall: Please try it. It's a worthy beer but there are many others out there that are better choices. Maybe I just had a so-so bottle?

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Pours a deep orange-amber with one finger of head that holds for a minute so

S: Brilliant citrusy hops with notes of not only grapefruit, but prominent orange peel and lemon zest as well.

T: Wow, the hops come through as strong and as complex as in the nose, with bright citrus and floral notes upfront, a little bit of toasted bread malt in the middle, and with a fairly strong hop bitterness in the finish.

This one blew me away. I just grabbed it from a friend who is usually a PBR devotee, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's certainly one of the best American IPAs I've had. Absolutely worth a try.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Had this on Tap @ Bukowski's last night. Seemed very fresh (not sure when they picked this up)

Pours a nice orange/amber - a bit on the darker side of my IPA preference. Nice fluffy off-white head.

Nice citrus aromas & sweet malty scents are very noticable right away.

taste is of evenly balanced maltiness & hop bitterness. The bitterness is really smooth & unobtrusive, but it is definitely there. Also lots of aroma hops prevalent throughout. The beer is backed up well by a solid malt foundation. Indeed, the beer I drank immediately afterwards made the Titan seem almost sweet! But very drinkable and enjoyable.

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

A- Smooth looking, lovely translucent orange colour. Light amount of head.

S- VERY strong aromas of pine, and juniper. The strong hops are extremely evident. The bitterness punches the nose begging to be consumed.

T- Great pine taste! Nice and dry. Spectacular balance of the hops with other flavours. The hops carry a good bite, but it's not overpowering to the other tastes in the brew.

M- Fantastic! Light, and in no real way overbearing. It sits nicely on the palate and leaves a pinch of hops on the tongue.

D- Highly drinkable. If I had more, i would with out a doubt be having more of his great beer.

Cheers.

Looks good, smells good, is good. Nice and bitter. Lots of hops in the smell and taste. Citrus, pine and a sweetness buried in there somewhere. A very good IPA to say the least. My first from Great Divide is a winner. Give me more and more and more and more..

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Titan is cloudy golden brown with a thin white head with moderate lacing. Surprisingly, the nose does not have strong hop aroma, very malty and sweet with hints of citrus. It has a mellow sweet malt taste up front, followed by smooth light hop flavors, the tang of alcohol and a lightly bitter aftertaste. Its very full in your mouth with a clean finish. It is too sweet and not as spicy as I like my IPA's but drinkable.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance - poured a cloudy brownish orange color with very little head that quickly dissipate to nothing but a ring around the edge

smell -reminds me of citrus, but more orange then lemon or pine like many other peers in the style but not over the top, infact it was pretty weak smelling overall, but this maybe due to this bottle having been held on to too long.

taste - a well balanced IPA, not overly malty, not a hop bomb and hides its alcohol content quite well, i had to double check to actually believe it is 7%

mouthfeel - very smooth and easy to drink.

overall - a great beer that i hope to try again and would love to try a fresh sample on draft.

Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company