Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

An onslaught of the senses. It starts with big, roasty malt flavor that gives way to rich caramel and toffee notes. YETI gets its bold hop character from an enormous quantity of American hops.

Added by cokes on 08-09-2003

Reviews: 1,779 | Ratings: 5,389
4.07/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer is black. It has a thick brown head that is persistent. The smell is heavy of malt and some big caramel tones. The taste is malty and caramel. There are some roast flavors as well. This is a big beer with lots of character – spiciness and alcohol are noticeable. The mouthfeel is heavy, but fits well with the flavor. As for drinkablity, while it is delicious…..I think that it is a bit rich for more than a few.

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Can Great Divide brew a bad big beer? I don't think it's possible. Yeti shined in every describable characteristic. My ratings are according to style, and this is definitely one of the best Imperial Stouts I've had.

A - Black as night with a little hint of deep brown. Crazy thick & creamy head which almost looks curdled. Kind of like a milkshake.
S - A surprisingly hoppy nose. Roasted malt, roasted coffee, dark chocolate.
T - A lot of the nose came out in the taste. Roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, brown sugar, some dark fruits. A nice subtle alcohol warmth that I really enjoyed. I love this stuff.
M - A very smooth, warming feel. The roasted tastes explode all over the palate. It stays with you, which is great.
D - One of the more drinkable Imperial Stouts I've tried. The alcohol is hidden incredibly well, which attributes to the great taste. I really can't say enough about Yeti and Great Divide. They seem to exhibit every passion possible involved in brewing.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours into a frothy creamy 3-finger head with a pitch black body that is impossible to see through. If I was to look at the top of my glass I would think I was drinking chocolate milk. Chocolate in high doses eminates from the top of the glass, not so muych a coffe taste but pure rich chocolate.

The taste matches the smell, leaveing a feeling in my mouth of a rich and creamy taste. Malts and roasted grain are abound until the very end when the coco flavors burst through. Quite bitter and with a higher alcohol taste then I would care for but the complex flavors of this beer more than make up for it.

Not a beer I would drink all the time but on special occasions or with a large dinner. It does go down smooth but this beer is to rich to enjoy in mass quantities.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Black hole body, topped by a superbly cascading dark tan micro bubble head which takes half the glass and rocked above the rim with a lunar surface efffect. Very good stretching lace.

Powerful, inviting, daring aroma of dark fruits, licorice, alcohol, coffee, and chocolate is readily apparent without even lifting the glass.

Taste is chocolate, coffee, plums soaking in alcohol. Mild hop tingle at the swallow, warmth but not burn in the belly. Dark fruits ooze through the hop tingle and into the after taste.

Mouthfeel is full-plus. Creamy and thick and decadently rich.

Beyond dangerously drinkable. I not only want to drink this again, I want another now.

An outstanding example of an imperial stout. Highly recommended.

3.8/5  rDev -10%

I was expecting this beer to be rated in the high 80’s, not the low 90’s. I liked it quite a bit, but 91? Impressive.

Regardless, it’s a great looking beer. Like everyone says, it pours black with a very dark tan head. I didn’t notice quite such a predominant chocolate taste as others have mentioned, but certainly molasses and burnt malt are very evident.

9.5% alcohol is pretty nice. I probably won’t buy it again – for the price I can get nearly three times as much from Berkshire Brewing Company, an arguably equivalent (or better) beer.

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%

This is the thickest, blackest, gooiest oil looking looking liquid I have ever had the pleasure of sipping on! Hue big creamy frothy head, colored dark brown that would not fade on me, had to stay around and hang out. Black as night with big lace, looked perfect for an Imperial Stout, had to give it a 5! Smell was complex, albeit not as strong as I would have liked, but Chocolate, caramel, and coffee all were able to come through for me. Hint of alchol, which is to be expected at over 9%abv. The taste was ...yummy! Totally coffee and chocolate duking it out to predominate this one. Alcohol definatly there s well, but not bad at all, just enough to let you know to watch out. Hint of chocolate came through as it warmed, big dry hoppy finish, very nice! This is a very thick drink, like a chocolate milkshake, very warming a it goes down, very creamy and great late at night before bed! Overall I really enjoyed this and it is a toss up between this and the oaked yeti, I love them both, but definatly distinct and I could see why they chose to experiment with it, though it can definatly hold its own with any Imperial Stout!

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

12 oz. bottle dated 04/2006 so this is not quite a year old. The pour is really inky black and looks like motor oil. The head was a large brown coffee-colored fluff. The smell was roasty and hoppy at the same time. The beer really laced the glass well and thickly I might add. The taste was very hoppy, chocolatey, and I also tasted cookie-dough in there. The mouthfeel was a little thin and one of the only drawbacks to this beer. I prefer the Oak-Aged Yeti because the oak really seems to tame the hops and mellow the beer. I like hoppy beers but not hoppy stouts. Anyway, this is still a winner but get the Oaked if you see them side-by-side in the liquor store.

Update 12/23/07
Mouthfeel has firmed up, nice aromas, no doughy flavor this time, roasty with a bitterness that lasts, I bet this can age awhile longer.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

A beauty of a thick pour. If you love stout and coffee this is for you. Deep, delicious and well balanced. Big start and long finish. The depth of rich flavor dominates this stout which is another big, bold and beautifully crafted beer. from Great Divide.Well done !

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Dark borwn beer with a big frothy head that coats the glass in lacing. The head takes forever to subside at that.

S - Coffee, chocolate, molasses, alcohol and burnt malt.

T - A lot of slightly sweet chocolatey malt with a touch of coffee and alcohol. The aftertaste is a faint coffee bitterness.

M - Smooth, thick, pretty refreshing. No complaints.

D - Good. I think I prefer the oak aged, but this isn't far behind. I will certainly have one of them again sometime.

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

4-6 month old bottle picked up a while ago at City Wide. Decided last night to drink it finally. Pours big and black tar colored with foamy, cream-topped khaki head. looks impressive. Hoppy, chocolate odor, full of fruit and treacle, fudge and cream. The odor of a good imperial stout makes it for me almost as much as the taste does and this one really makes the grade. Taste is great...a massive beer full of drity, leafy hops, roast chocolate malts, anc clingy boozy fruits. Hoip character bitters the beer throughout, especially on the finish. Thick and sticky mouthfeel. glug glug. A great beer. my only question is why this doesn't cost more? Holy crap, i'm rich! i can buy tons of this decious elixir

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

22 ounce bomber.

It's completely opaque, even when held up to bright outside sunlight. The head is small but sticky and laces well.
The words roasty and crisp come to mind for the aroma, it's a bit mellow as compared to other representations of the style, yet there's some complexity; roasted bakers chocolate, vanilla bean, very malty.

Creamy mouthfeel is the first impression, very smooth and enjoyable in a sipping manner. Roasted malts dominate at first, flavors of burnt chocolate and coffee, background sweet vanilla, all followed by a twang and slight hop kick with fairly mellow bitterness. Alcohol strength shows an ample character in the finish and twangy aftertaste as well.

Definitely a sipper, and not as "in your face" as say a Storm King or a Rogue IS. But it holds it's own and is right there with the front running Imperial Stouts in complexity and drinkability.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

I drink Imperial Stout often. I am a fan of the style. When I opened this up it met all the usual expectations. It has no flaws on style. It's drinkable and since so many breweries are yanking their prices up for the special big beers...it's a relief to buy a really good beer at a reasonable price.

I'll buy it again and again. It does the job. Don't jack with the price.

Rich

and a Pine flower
all in one

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wowza, Yeti Imperial Stout is one very pleasant beast. It pours from the bottle a nice dark color (not pitch black but almost there). There is a beastly proportioned coffee colored head which sticks around for some time. The smell is a very nice aroma of malt, coffee, and floral hops. The taste is both a sweet and bitter smack to the senses, with a hearty coffee kick to to teeth. There is a chewy coating to the lingual side of the teeth, the tongue and the palate. This is a true delight. I certainly recommend searching for this beast!

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

It really is amazing how weather can affect one's affectations for a particular beer. Its 34 degrees and snowy, and the perfect compliment on my day off is to revisit a nice RIS like Yeti. My first review was during much warmer climes. A: Deep dark, opaque black. Impervious to light. Blacker than my ex-fiance's heart. (Not to sound jaded, I actually called the wedding off), with a dark brown head and nice residual lacing. S: Too much to note: toffee, carob bean, dark roast coffee, dark chocolate. Very complex. T: Sweet out of the blocks with a strong, hearty, malted presence that transitions into an alcohol soaked hoppy bitterness. In a word: Delicious. M: Substantial, thick, viscous and chewy. Perfect for the style. D: Given the cold temps I find sessionability limted due only to knowing the ABV, but for sheer enjoyment, I could drink this all night. I am glad I revisited this beer during the winter months. I'll be in Denver in 3 weeks and I will indulge in all the Great Divide beers ad nauseum. Great Divide and Conquer!

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours pitch black, with a solid, lace forming brown head.

Very roasty aroma. Chocolate and some hop edge as well. Awesome.

Sweet roast and hazelnut. Chocolate and a solid, resinous hop bitteness. Some bitter orange notes as well.

Ginormous body, silky and luscious. Very strong, yet so silky smooth, that I could drink two of these. Awesome and clean. A very good brew.

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Taste: A perfect example of what an imperial stout should taste like; fruit, chocolate, and coffee, with a nice hoppy finish.

Body: Smooth and silky.

Appearance: Pitch black, totally opaque.

Aroma: Sweet fruit candy, chocolate.

Head: Nice brown head that dissapated quickly but left a light layer the whole way down.

Lacing: Quite a bit of lacing, very sexy :-)

Carbonation: Medium carbonation.

Have Another?: Definitely.

4.73/5  rDev +12.1%

Just had my first one yesterday watching the Bears spank the Saints in the NFC Championship game.
Pours pitch black and I knew I was in for a treat when I saw how dark and thick the head was.
Tastes awesome with very dark malt and a fair amount of hop bitterness.
I haven't had an Imperial Stout this good in a while. In my opinion, it is one of the best out there, second only to Victory Storm King.

4.77/5  rDev +13%

so, at this review there are 428 reviews posted. I won't try to redescribe this beer in the face of so many variations. What I will say is that this beer was sampled from 12oz bottles. An exceptional RIS with few peers. I love a good RIS and this hits all the charactersitics of aroma, taste and body that to me are must haves.

Unfortunately for me this is outside of my beer market so outside of trades or trips south this one will go down as a definite wish it was in my area.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Served from a 22 oz bomber into a Samuel Smith's imperial pint glass.

Pours an extremely jet black with barely visibly ruby edges, and two fingers of dark tan head that retains nicely.

The smell is wonderful: sweet malts, coffee, chocolate, raisins, and dark fruit.

The taste is quite sweet up front, with chocolate, roasted malt, and fruit notes prevalent, followed by hops and a slightly bitter coffee finish.

The mouthfeel is creamy, and drinkability is high. The strength of this beer is barely noticeable.

A very nice ale. one of the better Imperial Stouts there is.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a large snifter. Very opaque black color. Dark brown head with hints of red in it. Dense bubbles which leave a smattering of lacing after a sip.

Heavy notes of molasses in the nose. Burnt sugars and roasted malts as well. Also suggestions of dulce de leche and caramel.

Upfront I taste sweet molasses followed by burnt caramel and dark cocoa. Roasted malts impart the flavor of espresso or a dark French roast coffee. The finish is bitter hops and oak notes. The alcohol is present as you exhale.

The mouthfeel is slightly viscous. Expansive with a slick feeling going down. Very substantial and quite rich.

Very nice sipping stout. Rich and complex. Things only seem to get better as it warms. I'm looking forward to aging a few.

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours jet black. No light passes through, there are no hues of any other color when held to light. This is black. There is a perfect two finger mocha colored head that has good retention and leaves tons of lacing.

Aromas are of sweet dark chocoalate, toffee, coffee, and roasted malt.

Taste is great. Sweet chocolate and toffee initially, giving way to some roasted malt and a little citrus from the hops. Hops here are pretty noticeable for a stout. There is a long lingering roasted coffee like bitterness on the palate.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and very smooth and creamy.

The 9.5%ABV is almost unnoticed and this is highly drinkable.

This is a great RIS and I will purchase this again, even though I have to go out of my way to do so.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from bomber into traditional pint glass. Sampled in connection with a Rogue Shakespeare stout several months ago during a scenic drive after one of our first snowfalls of the year. A great time for some Imperial Stouts.

A - Gorgeous dark and oqaque brown/blackness with a good 1 1/2 inch caramel, pillowly head. Lacing is purty.

S - Not too intense, but coffee and chocolate malt is nicely aromatic.

T - Very dry roasted malt with alcohol and chocolate flavors. I am surprised at how noticable the alcohol is in this brew, but it is delicious regardless.

M - Dry with moderate carbonation that is rather smooth.

D - Great for a snowy day with chilly winds and freezing feet.

4.11/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz. bottle.

Pours total black with a rocky brown head that sticks around forever. Plentiful chunks and swathes of lace are left on the glass. The aroma is of soy sauce, dark chocolate, fresh roasted coffee beans and some citrusy hops. The taste is full of dark chocolate, sweet milk chocolate, prunes and other dark fruit and soy sauce. A formidable balast of hop bitterness shows as the beer warms. The finish is boozey and somewhat hoppy with some bitter chocolate malt. The mouthfeel is very thick and lightly carbonated, alcohol heat is kind of mouth numbing.

This is a great Imperial Stout. Very robust and full flavored, a little less (or no) soy sauce would make it perfect.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a nonic, an inky opaque coffee black, with rich brown head that dissipates to a centimeter or two. Nice sticky lacing all over the glass. Smells surpassingly of hoppy fruit, up against a toasted malt, black patent, dry roasted coffee beans, chocolate and yeast. Taste is medium bittersweet roast, balanced through out with a dark chocolate style bitterness. Some fruit comes out toward the mid section and on the swallow there is a battle between the fruitiness and the toasted coffee character. This is a tasty RIS, but it is strange to me, because of the their hop choice, not that it is bad by any means it is just very different than I am used to in RIS. I except all the toasted stuff, coffee and dark chocolate bitterness, but not so much the fruity hop stuff. I like this, how ever I think I prefer the my RIS with out the fruit, but this is still damn good. So worth having. I can't wait to try the the oak aged yeti.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company