Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Yeti Imperial StoutYeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

An onslaught of the senses. It starts with big, roasty malt flavor that gives way to rich caramel and toffee notes. YETI gets its bold hop character from an enormous quantity of American hops.

Added by cokes on 08-09-2003

Reviews: 1,757 | Ratings: 5,296

This is a beer I've been enjoying for a while and I'm finally getting around to reviewing.

Black pour with nice light brown head. Smells a bit smokey with hints of toasted almonds. Nice malty backbone that balances out the hops. Pretty decent mouthfeel. Nicely carbonated, but not super rich and creamy. Really solid base that works well with all sorts of variations. The oak aged version is still my favorite though.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Picked up a four pack or so at Dirk's fillet and vine in Montgomery Alabama on a paid trip to the south.

12oz bottle with the new label of brown and tan with the Yeti on the front.

A- Super dark coffee appearance with little to no lace or head. Even looks like black silk.

S- Coffee, dark sugar, malt, cherry, leather and roasted nuts.

M- heavy and thick with a creamy silk body.

T- Tastes of home made licorice, chocolate covered espresso beans and malted alcohol.

D- A liitle to hot for the 9.5% represents. Many 10.5%ers can pull off more drinkability because of their sweetness. This is a very dry stout which makes it not as smooth on the pallet as a sweeter less intrusive beer.

Great sample of a dry russian imperial stout.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: Completely black with a tan head and some dark tan hues within the lacing and head.

Smell: Bold and great. This beer throws many flavors at you simultaneously.

Taste: Dark roasted malt flavors come and then settle with the bitterness of hops. Amazing amounts of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very thick feeling but drinkable and definitely palatable.

Drinkability: Because it is so thick it might not be as drinkable as others. My senses would go numb if I were to drink a few more.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Bomber into pint glass.

This beer pours a jet black, with a fairly frothy head considering it's a stout. The smell is of chocolate, coffee, slight hops, and roasted dark malts.

This beer tastes great. It's a heavy stout and definitely a sipper. I found it to be bitter, but not overly so.

It's a great drinking beer and I'm glad this is available for most of th year. Definitely worth picking up

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

A- Pours motor oil black (and about the same consistency!) with a great light brown head. Lacing down the sides is perfect. Over all as pretty as a Imperial as you can get.

S- holy crap, smells like a double IPA, great citrus hops with some grassy undertones that make it special, also can get big whiffs of chocolate and coffee on the nose as well. So far so perfect!

T- Like a flavor explosion in my mouth. definitely roasted malt and coffee, with a big hint of chocolate. Not as hoppy as it smelled, but probably due to the fact that it is such a malty beer. still a bit of bitterness that as the beer lingers is more pronounced.

M- it also feels a bit like motor oil in the mouth, in a good way though! nice carbonation that makes it easier on the palate as well. Might be a little lighter on the mouth but it would be hard to change anything so far in this beer for fear of screwing it up.

D- One of the most drinkable Imperial stouts I have had, definetely can have a few pints, but probably wouldn't be able to drive home afterwards. Overall a KILLER beer

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

I poured the beer in a Young's glass

it had a dark espresso body. With a medium size dark brown foaming head.
dark bitter chocolate, dark roast coffee grinds with espresso finish. It has a little alcohol taste at the end, I think if I taste it again I will age it for a year or two. I actually buzzed a bit after drinking this beer. Price wise I don't think it's as good as a Old stock ale by north coast brewery or Rasputin for that matter as some other reviewers mentioned.

This is the standard against which all imperial stouts shall be judged! Are there better well yes. But this is an easily obtainable gem that can be found in almost any serious craft beer section.. it pours motor oil with heavy lacing and tastes of smoky complexity this stout is best enjoyed on the warm side of chilled.. This is a go to imperial stout that shouldn't be overlooked and at 9.5%abv it'll do the trick quite nicely

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Poured very dark opaque viscous black with zero light passing through. Nice mocha colored head that is nice sized and great lacing.

Smell: Rich roasted malts, no burnt notes. Notes of bakers chocolate and slight heat.

Taste: Smooth deep roast with drying licorice finish. This beer has a ton of hops, which adds an anise component played against the earthy licorice.

Mouthfeel: Thick and heavy, like a chocolate milk. Carbonation adds a pleasant movement that is not distracting.

Drinkability/Palitability: This is a huge beer, which warms going down. I split the bomber, but could have finished it all; more than that would be too much.

Notes: I have tried the Oak Aged Yeti before having this one. I really enjoyed the heavier mouthfeel and bolder flavors of the Oak Aged; I would recommend the regular version before this one, especially if you are not use to large beers. This is a fantastic Imperial Stout that would be great to try after being cellared for a year or two longer. I paired this bottle with some dark chocolate, that complemented this beer.

3.46/5  rDev -18%

A- Dark brown with a frothy two inch mocha colored head

S- Coffee and smoky scents with some cherries

T- Chocolate and coffee with a very smokey aftertaste

M- Very smooth with a very little throat bite at the end

D- It's pretty good with some tang to it, not the best but not bad

3.81/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours jet black with a nice 3 finger head that lasts and leaves a nice lacing throughout. Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

It has a slight alcohol ting and smokey coffee/mocha scent.

This beer has a nice full body with full viscous mouthfeel and an almost molasses and toffee beginning, moving to a coffee and chocolate taste, then finishing strong with a warming smokey aftertaste. There is a nice blend of maltiness and bitterness. I detect some hoppiness near the end and in the aftertaste, but nicely balanced, and the alcohol warms you but is masked nicely with this smooth flavorful beer.

As with the other yeti's I have tried, this goes down smooth and seems like it would age well, be careful though, at 9.5% it could be harmful. It is very smooth and has the nice imperial stout taste nicely balanced with maltiness and bitterness.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance is thick and black with a thin mocha head. Smell is lovely, chocolate and burnt sugar. There is some chocolate in the taste, but the taste is mostly coffee. While i can detect the alcohol its not overpowering. Mouthfeel is substantial. The carbonation is present but not overpowering.

Overall an enjoyable beer. As it warms, more varied flavors are starting to come through, as is the alcohol. This is definitely something i'd get again if i see it locally.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

I love it when you just swipe a beer off the shelf as a last ditch effort, and find it's the best of your shopping trip. That's what happened here, thank god.

A - pours a rocky, frothy brown head atop a pitch black body. The head was mostly-lasting, and left a nearly glue-like substance of lacing down the glass as it went. This is serious stuff.

S - kicks out a full nse of caramel and molasses with a light hint of resiny hops to boot.

T - really, quite nice and completely unexpected. With initial notes of the toasted versions of the aromas, then changing to the warming alcohol, with a completely separate, heavy hop finish. The balance this beer has would let it walk a tight rope.

M - not quite motor oil (like the look) but yet a ull-bodied brew with a long hoppy and slightly alcoholic finish cleans up the palate enough to keep moving on this.

D - with it's high ABV, but cleansingly lingering mouthfeel, you could get in trouble with this one. Very good.

Overall, biggest surprise of my vacation, paied with a serving of Chimay Grand Cru cheese from the local cheesemonger. I would buy a case of his in a heartbeat, and it can be had in any season, IMO.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint-sized pub glass.

Appearance: Wow. This looks like slightly-less-thick motor oil as it's pouring from the bottle. It's pitch-black. A one-finger brown head sits atop it like a crown, lacing the glass in curtains as the level lowers. Such an awesome-looking beer.

Smell: Dark, bitter chocolate, noticeable floralness.

Taste: If you haven't prepared your palate properly (as I hadn't when I first had this a couple of years ago), the taste is like a sledgehammer relentlessly smiting against your tongue. Dark chocolatey malts rush out at you, yet it's not quite sweet - the bitterness from the hops sees to that. And I get the impression that it's not just the hops doing that, it's the malts themselves. It's pretty intense. Here we have a beer that doesn't screw around. It's the Strapping Young Lad of beer. I can't help feeling like this beer is enjoying itself in a sort of diabolical way, tag-teaming you with such immense flavors from both the malt AND the hops. Between those two, I don't even really notice the considerable alcohol presence. What a great beer for a cold winter's night this would be! So warm and thick.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, yet somehow not easy-going.

Drinkability: If you couldn't tell from my description of its taste, this is a formidable beer. I for one wouldn't want more than one of these in a sitting, but that's only because my taste buds would need some sort of break after being punished (in a good way) by one of these. Yet, if someone was already handing me another one....

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Looks like motor oil coming out of the bottle--appears thick and viscous. Jet black with about a half-inch of brown head. Head recedes into some lace and crust. Looks awesome.

Smells great too. Lots of dark and milk chocolate, cocoa, roasted malts, molasses, and smoke.

Some sweet chocolate and roasted malt notes on the palate quickly give way to bitter chocolate. There's even a little hint of vanilla. I'd like it better if there was more chocolate and less bitter coffee/hops on the finish, but still great.

For the way the beer poured, it's nicely carbonated and not too thick or chewy. It's a sipper, but I could sit and sip this with no complaints.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

The shrimp is on the grill so it's time to break out the stout. The Yeti is very dark with a dark tan head. It smells like a stout should with burnt malt up front. The taste is also just what it should be. Very smooth with the roasted malt and coffee flavors. A very easy drinking beer. The flavors linger on the palate just long enough to set you up for the next sip. I barely noticed the alcohol in the taste.

This is a great stout, smooth and strong and worth trying by anyone who likes the style.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

Looks awesome as it pours a nice dark dark brown light black almost like a cup of coffee with a nice chocolately mocha brown looking head.

Smells deeply of chocolate light molasses and a hint of licorice?

Excellent taste as chocolate and toasted malt flavor rolls over the tongue mingling with some light hop sweetness. Finishes with bitter toasted malt, light cocoa and again with hops but a different taste. Almost a light sweetness like this could turn into a milk or sweet stout but it stays very bold. I think the chocolate flavors in this one are complex seeming to go from rich dark to easily enjoyed candy.

This is a great stout, excellent rendition of the style and unfortunately I think gets lost and ignored in favor of its buffed up (oak/barrel/double chocolate) yeti cousins.

2.98/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Ginger Man in NYC.

Pours a think syrupy black body with a brown head, and truly beautiful lacing. Aroma is a potent combination of chocolate, tofee and roast malt. The taste is similar to the nose. Reminds me of chocolate/maple syrup and molasses. Don't even think about detecting any hops. The beer coats my mouth with a real syrupy feel. This beer is actually too think and syrupy and too sweet. Roastyness is barely noticeable. Not properly balanced.

This beer has excellent reviews, so I was shocked to be dissappointed with this beer. It may have been served too cold. I may give it a try out of a bottle sometime.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a bomber into an oversized wine glass. Bottled on October 20th, 2010.

This is definitely the darkest beer I've ever had. As I pour it out into the glass, I'm trying to recall another liquid I've seen that's this dark; none comes to mind. The beer itself is so heavy that it almost has a sort of viscous appearance, but I know it's merely a product of the insane amount of malt in this baby. The head is surprisingly huge and seems to be flecked with dark cinnamon and chocolate. It takes its time to recede back into my wine glass. This beer is (and I know I've said this before, but I REALLY mean it this time) absolutely gorgeous. I do not think a stout could look better than this...nay, I KNOW it. Five in this category.

The smell's initially a bit shocking. I guess I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm hit initially by a strong odor of quality tobacco, followed by chocolate, licorice, and a nice yeasty quality. This beer simply SMELLS warm. Perfect for the night I'm enjoying it. I don't think a single-malt scotch could get the job done any better than this Yeti. The alcohol finally emerges in the nose as I proceed and it warms, but it isn't at all unwelcome. The smell, despite how intricate it is, is nearly perfect. If the alcohol were concealed a BIT more, it would indeed have garnered a five in this category as well. As it stands, there isn't much more it can do. Nearly flawless in the nose.

As it hits my lips, I first taste a melted bar of 80% Cocoa Belgian chocolate, but I'm instantly bombarded with copious complications to this initial claim. A hint of biscuit, and a distinct coffee flavor pokes its head out at the culmination of the sip. I'm no stout expert, but this one certainly fits the bill of what I'd imagine the "perfect stout" to taste like.

Minimal carbonation, subdued probably by the extreme malt content. Smooth, liquid chocolate moving around the inside of my mouth. Feel is incredible. Fluid, yet thick; Flowing, yet full. I'm very impressed.

9.5% puts severe hindrance on consumption amounts. But I'll be feeling quite good at the end of this bomber. There was a lot of hype around this beer, but I daresay Yeti has lived up to it.

On tap at the brewery in Denver, CO

As most people gave a complete rundown, I will just give you my overall impression. For an Imperial Stout, the Yeti is quite approachable. The man at the brewery said the IBU's were high (around 100ish)-- ummm....I guess?....it seemed very well balanced to me....I was actually getting more bitterness from the Black Malt, rather than hop bite. Some slightly medicinal notes on the nose, and faintly on the taste buds...other than that...the Yeti is a top quality high-octane stout that displays the cocoa and coffee in spades...

This one is lighter and a little more enjoyable than Old Rasputin out of a bottle, IMHO

Grade: 93-, A

4.73/5  rDev +12.1%

Thicker than snot and darker than black. A surprisingly poofy, espesso foam head forms after a rather vigorous poor. The damn bottle weighed noticeably more than the other bombers in my fridge. This is a monster.

Nose is surprisingly sweet with traces of C hops and alcohol. Lots of rich, carmelized and burnt aspects apparent. Not as vinuous in the nose as a lot of impy stouts, but still with a slight, date and fig asspect. Bitter chocolate is apparent. This is just the nose.

Sweeping, huge-bodied thickness in the mouth, carbonation forms a pleasing tingling roundness. The roast and the bitter chocolate come through at first, with the pleasing, though subdued, grapefruit hops peeking out. Rolls smoothly from chocolate, to nutty toffee and thick lucious caramel rolled and a fruity port. Finish is lingering and layered with mild, bitter hops and espresso beands in dark chocolate.

One hell of an Imperial Stout and up there with Expedition in my mind. Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

A- Dark as Motor oil with a brown head which begans to dissipate.

S- Love the aromatic fruity, chocolate smell.

T- Begins with coffee/dark fruits with an almost citrus chocolate finish.

M- Moderate to thick mouthfeel.

D- Definitely a sipper with the alcohol content which allows for
nice contemplation as one gauges the whole experience of this
stout. Certainly warms the chest.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

A – Complete utter black oil. I have never seen such a dark beverage in all my life. Devoid of any light—pure perfect darkness. The head is extremely dark as well, and the appearance is just overall without flaw.

S – Woah, so much malt. So many hops. What in the world is this? It smells of dark chocolate, intense dark coffee, huge citrus hops, licorice and a little bit of alcohol. Overall, it smells overwhelmingly good. I need to taste this immediately.

T – That’s all she wrote. What a huge, over the top, outrageously flavorful Imperial Stout. I have never had anything quite like this. Just a grossly indecent amount of malt in this that gives it such an over the top, smooth, bittersweet chocolate flavor that is combined with ground coffee beans, caramel, fudge…and perhaps the most ridiculous thing about this beer is that despite the titanic malty aspect, it is the hops that come to dominate the beverage. This thing is just such a beautiful combination of bitter and sweet. So, so good.

M – This is a FULL bodied stout, as all good stouts are, but this has one of the largest bodies that I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. It is silky, sticky, smooth and lightly syrupy. Everything about this imperial stout is spot on.

O – This beer is just a comedy of contrasts, and a dream of an imperial stout. It’s for someone who loves outrageous stouts that are loaded with not only malt but hops as well. It is one of the best things that I have ever had, and one of my favorite all time beers. I look forward to many, many more of these.

4.51/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Such a beautiful pour I cried a little. Smells like dark chocolate. Tastes like the best year-round, easily available imperial stout on the market. I swear I don't work for them.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

From 22 oz bottle to pint glass.

A - Pitch black, with a dark beige head (2-fingered and chunky with big bubbles). the lace is thick and slowly crawls down the glass

S - Wonderful citrus hops smell and big chocolate malts. Berries and coffee also make a showing, as well as slight, burning alcohol.

T - Much maltier and more savory than the smell - the hops are almost completely knocked out, except for a small hints in the background. Delicious and creamy until the finish, which is, for lack of better term, all soy sauce.

M - Thick and creamy, though the slightly over-done carbonation along the tongue takes away from any sense of "luscious" or completely "smooth."

D - Not a bad beer, interesting you might say. however, i don't think i'll be having this again - i like a little more bittersweetness in my impy stouts, and this one is just too savory.

4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from bottle (can't read freshness date) into tulip glass.

A: Probably the closest to "motor oil" as I've ever seen in a beer. Super thick and viscous, black as a moonless night with a thick & creamy one-finger chocolate-milk-colored head. Absolutely gorgeous.

S: Roasty malt up front (french roast coffee and dark chocolate) with a surprisingly pungent citrus & pine hop presence. Some dark fruits are evident as well. I've never experienced an Imperial Stout with this level of hop aroma before. Quite intriguing, though not as strong as some of the best Imperial Stouts I've had.

T: Holy wow. Super rich. Espresso (and I'm talking real, legit espresso here) and dark chocolate, a hint of rich raspberry/blueberry syrupy fruit sweetness followed by a punch of resinous, piny hop flavor and bitterness. Finished dark, rich, and roasty; bittersweet from the roasted malt and hop character. Just fabulous.

M: Thick and viscous with an excellent amount of carbonation (on the cusp of being a tad too much, but not quite.) Very rich and decadent.

D: Imperial Stouts being at the top of my favorite styles, the Yeti puts me in beer heaven. I could easily drink 2 or 3 of these, though the high ABV and strong, rich flavors would would definitely get to me. Definitely a sipper, I'm very satisfied with one of these beauties.

Would not hesitate for a second to pick a second (or third, or fourth) Yeti up if I am lucky enough to see it again any time soon.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company