Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

An onslaught of the senses. It starts with big, roasty malt flavor that gives way to rich caramel and toffee notes. YETI gets its bold hop character from an enormous quantity of American hops.

Added by cokes on 08-09-2003

Reviews: 1,760 | Ratings: 5,322
4.05/5  rDev -4%

From 22 oz bottle to pint glass.

A - Pitch black, with a dark beige head (2-fingered and chunky with big bubbles). the lace is thick and slowly crawls down the glass

S - Wonderful citrus hops smell and big chocolate malts. Berries and coffee also make a showing, as well as slight, burning alcohol.

T - Much maltier and more savory than the smell - the hops are almost completely knocked out, except for a small hints in the background. Delicious and creamy until the finish, which is, for lack of better term, all soy sauce.

M - Thick and creamy, though the slightly over-done carbonation along the tongue takes away from any sense of "luscious" or completely "smooth."

D - Not a bad beer, interesting you might say. however, i don't think i'll be having this again - i like a little more bittersweetness in my impy stouts, and this one is just too savory.

4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from bottle (can't read freshness date) into tulip glass.

A: Probably the closest to "motor oil" as I've ever seen in a beer. Super thick and viscous, black as a moonless night with a thick & creamy one-finger chocolate-milk-colored head. Absolutely gorgeous.

S: Roasty malt up front (french roast coffee and dark chocolate) with a surprisingly pungent citrus & pine hop presence. Some dark fruits are evident as well. I've never experienced an Imperial Stout with this level of hop aroma before. Quite intriguing, though not as strong as some of the best Imperial Stouts I've had.

T: Holy wow. Super rich. Espresso (and I'm talking real, legit espresso here) and dark chocolate, a hint of rich raspberry/blueberry syrupy fruit sweetness followed by a punch of resinous, piny hop flavor and bitterness. Finished dark, rich, and roasty; bittersweet from the roasted malt and hop character. Just fabulous.

M: Thick and viscous with an excellent amount of carbonation (on the cusp of being a tad too much, but not quite.) Very rich and decadent.

D: Imperial Stouts being at the top of my favorite styles, the Yeti puts me in beer heaven. I could easily drink 2 or 3 of these, though the high ABV and strong, rich flavors would would definitely get to me. Definitely a sipper, I'm very satisfied with one of these beauties.

Would not hesitate for a second to pick a second (or third, or fourth) Yeti up if I am lucky enough to see it again any time soon.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served into my New Belgium snifter from the 12 oz. bottle procured at this wonderful place called Whole Foods.

This one pours black as your soul. Like motor oil that you haven't changed for 20,000 miles. Great brown head bubbles up and sticks all over the sides of the glass. A bit splashed onto my white countertops and I quickly wiped it up as if it were stain-inducing espresso. This stuff probably makes your teeth yellow.

When you sip, a little bit more head boils to the surface. It's quite cool. You look down and see beer without head. And new bubbles come in to replace it. Head is very resilient as a result.

Smell. I know they're different styles of stout, but this takes Guinness and kicks it repeatedly in certain vulnerable parts. Aromatic roasted malts along with a sweetness and even a touch of something like spice. Intoxicating aroma. I am waiting a minute or two between sips just sitting there with my nose over the glass letting it's redolence drift into my olfactory organs.

Starts out with a powerful roasted malt and earthy flavors. Seriously it's like roasted malt and dry dirt. And I mean that in the fondest way. But this is not a dry stout - in comes the sweetness - there are decadent notes of caramel, toffee and hints of cocoa. Some espresso in the aftertaste. One thing I like to do with imperial stouts is go back and taste for the hops. They definitely spilled a bushel of them in this one. The hops are there in their own regard, not overpowered or intimidated by the beastly, Sasquatch-like maltiness.

Mouthfeel is chewy as a mouthful of dry dirt. And I mean that in the fondest way.

I just wish I had some smoked cheese to enjoy with this one. A real rich, enjoyable and yet drinkable Russian imperial.

On tap at Melt Bar & Grilled. Poured into a snifter of sorts.

A - Very very dark black with the darkest tan head I've ever seen. Looks delicious and I'm stoked to drink this. The head is about 2 fingers tall and hangs around for a while before turning into a little lacing that stays ontop of the beer the entire time. Also leaves alot of lacing all over the glass.

S - Smells very bold and in your face. Lots of bittersweet chocolate notes going on. Roasted carmel malts. Some light coffee in the background. Overall a heavy hitter on the nose. Smooth smelling though.

T - Tastes pretty much as it smells. Lots of heavy coffee and chocolate with carmel malts following it. Sweetness hangs on the tounge after.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy but enjoyable. Coats the tounge and mouth and stays around a while.

D - A drinkable beer. Not sure I could have many of these but one or two at the end of a night would be perfect.
I'd also like to see how ageing one of these would turn out. The chocolate would come more pronounced and I'd hope that some sweetness would come through a bit more to make this a stellar beer.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Tasted this back to back with the Oak Aged Yeti.

a - Black balck, tan creamy head, two fingers

s - Nice and rich, but not so strong.

t - Nice and typical RIS. Fairly bitter at the finish.

m - Thick, smooth/rocky.

d - super high. 9.5% is hard to believe.

Delicious beer. I could easily make this my house RIS if it was more readily availablee. Delicious.

3.8/5  rDev -10%

Black in color with a brown head that left a thin layer. Aromas were sweet with scents of chocolate, vanilla and coffee. On the other hand, in the mouth it showed hoppy bitterness throughout along with sweet roasted malt in the backgroud. It had solid weight but it did not come off as heavy. There was a touch of alcohol noticable on the finish but it was not obtrusive.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

easied from the bottle and dropped about 12 inches into the glass, created three fingers of a beautiful chocolate brown reverse cascading head, that dissapates quickly. very nice rich smokey dark malty smell. Black somewhat effervesant liquid even after a ruff pour.
smooth very black carbonated concoction with chocolate and licorice lingering on the tongue. gets better as it warms. nice thick mouth feel and drinkabilty is high, forgive the pun. nice stuff.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a stemmed water glass. Bottled on September 4, 2009, nearly 6 months ago.

A - Pours like motor oil, black even when held to the light. There is a finger of reddish-brown head that settles to a fine, crema that never goes away. The head comes back easily with brisk swirl or two. It leaves a good amount of lacing.

S - This is hugely fragrant. I can smell it easily from arms length. There is a strong malt base, along with chocolate, roasted coffee, and a slight molasses smell. An earthy hops smell grows stronger as it warms. The molasses smell also increases over time. In the end, the molasses is just as strong as the initial malt base.

T - The flavor follows the smell. Initial flavor is strong, roasted malt, followed by cocoa powder, chocolate, and a slight roasted coffee flavor. The finish is very interesting and includes both a slight sweetness and an earthy hops bitterness. The sweetness is on the lips, while the earthy hop flavor is in the mouth, allowing them to coexist. The sweetness consists of molasses and plum, and grows much stronger as it warms. The alcohol is also present in the finish, but it fades over time. Towards the end of the bottle, a slight saltiness emerges in the finish.

M - This has a medium body but very low carbonation, providing a very smooth, creamy feel. There is a slight alcohol burn, but it's not too boozy. It grows increasingly creamy as it warms.

D - This beer is very delicious and smooth. The alcohol is fairly well hidden, but it's there. This is a sipper, which is true to the style. It took me about 50 minutes to drink the 22oz bottle. However, when it was done, I wished there were more.

I am really looking forward to trying the other permutations on this basic Yeti RIS. I was tempted to give 5's to this bottle, but I want to try the oaked, aged, and coffee versions first. Otherwise, assuming they are better, what would I give them?

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured this pitch black Imperial Stout a little on the agressive side finding little to no head, but left subtle brown sticky lacing, go figure, maybe the temp wasn't just right. Aromas of expresso, carmel with a touch of pine. This heavy bodied brew coats the tongue with a carpet bomb of flavors ranging from burnt carmel coffee,semi sweet chocolate, raw almonds. and tart black cherries which hide the alcohol. Quite the stay at home stout. Cheers!

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look - Dark oil black with caramel/chocolate colored one finger head

Aroma - Chocolate, coffee/expresso

Taste - roasted malt with a hop bitterness that linger...hints ofchocolate, coffee, sweet caramel throughout the flavor...well balanced stout

Feel - Full bodied...mild carbonation and very little alcohol flavor for this ABU

Overall - This was really good...I've had Old Rasputin and Founder Breakfast Stout near the top of my list and this is close...very well balanced, flavorful and smooth.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours dark black with dark brown mocha head that dissipates with fair lacing. Smells of malt and coffee. Delicious. Very
Big beer with dark roasted malt toffee/coffee flavor balanced with good hops. Would definitely buy again and try to keep on hand.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Preface: This beer struck me seriously. It was honestly delicious and impressive. I'm a serious spendthrift, and if quality beers came in two-ounces bottles, I would be rating a two-ounce bottle. It was hard for me to reach for this twenty-two ouncer, since I was paying a premium for the size. But--hold on--by the time I finished this beer, I was hoping for twenty-two more ounces. It was delicious and filling like the most delicate cheesecake, with a beautiful, thick, and complex flavor that speaks of heartiness.

Appearance: Poured as a beautiful, thick, dark brown; almost glossy. A rich color, like the color of aged engine oil gushing out past the plug and coating your fingers. The beer pours out as a deep brown, like melted chocolate, hits the glass and shifts to ebony as it swirls to equilibrium. The head manifests as a creamy caramel froth, and retains to entice you to sip past it to taste the beer that hides beneath.

Smell: Scent of fresh, virgin, peeled-back maple bark. Hot caramel melts through, and drizzles on the scent of fresh-baked multi-grain bread as you impatiently open the oven door. I could barely wait to finish writing my impression of the smell before I sampled the taste.

Taste: Solid, textured, strong, full hops flavor--a full range. Usually when I have a beer of heavy hop magnitude, I get annoyed from a feel like a singular high note twanging against my taste buds, like I swallowed a mothball. This beer's pleasant and full hop flavor blankets me like a deep chord resonating against my taste buds. The hops are balanced well, with a taste of freshly ground coffee beans complementing.

Mouthfeel: The beer holds a good weight in the mouth, like a hearty and warm whole grain thick-sliced piece of bread fresh from the toaster, somehow in liquid form.

Drinkability: This beer was filling and warming. The Imperial and thick alcohol personality nature of this twenty-two ouncer hit me well and left me pleasant. Two of these bottles would definitely disqualify one from complex tasks, but leave a person entirely content with the experience that has just transpired.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Almost black, with a small but creamy cocoa head that last a few seconds. Wisps of the head remain on the surface.

S: Roasted chestnuts and dark chocolate. Mild coffee grind aroma.

T: Similar to the smell but coffee is more forceful in the taste, and dark chocolate is closer to bakers chocolate. Mild hop bitterness and alcohol is hidden nicely.

M: Medium body, was expecting a little more structure. But not a let down.

D: Very easy to drink.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

2014 Vintage
A - Very dark and opaque.

S - Smells sweet. Chocolate, coffee and malt with slight dark fruit.

T - Tastes lives up to its super sweet scent... I got plenty of chocolate and actually more fruit than initially expected. Light lingering coffee and booze astringency. Lingers for quite some time.

M- Full-bodied with low carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel.

O - Very sweet up front and has a lingering bite...not in a bad way, but I think it'll open up in a year or two and the booziness will fade. Overall, really easy to drink!

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured this into my half liter Hofbrau glass and poured into a nice dark black color with a half finger head that leaves a nice lace around the glass. Has a smell of roasted nuts, hint of chocolate, and some molasssed.

Has a full mouthfeel that would make it tough to drink more than 2, but this is definitely a nice stout that has a complex flavor.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Looks. A very dark brown with a medium dark, thin head.
Smell. A mix of high, clear hops and low, full earthiness.
Taste. Toasted qualities first, hoppiness second, a fairly dry finish.
Feel. Good sparkle and a nice medium heavy body.
Overall. Very nice for a toasted dry stout. But I like'em maltier.

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance- pours deep brown with a chocolate head that retains and laces the glass like a curtain

Smell- malty chocolate with just a bit of coffee.

Taste- roasted, almost charred, malts. Then sweet milk chocolate and bitter hops.

Mouthfeel- rich and frothy.

Drinkability- too powerful for me to have more than one or two.

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a snifter. Been down and out with a nasty lung infection so I have only drank three beers in three weeks! Gotta catch up....

A - pours a jet black with a nice  foamy 2 finger creamy head that leaves lacing that doesn't go anywhere. Beautiful!

S - the nose is very powerful even after just getting over being sick they come out huge. Earthy hops and chocolate dominate followed by more licorice then in usual stouts. A nice wave of roasted malt and coffee lurk around as well. Soy sauce notes at room temperature at the end of the bomber.

T - lot of chocolate malt here, without a doubt top 5 chocolate forward stouts I have ever had. Huge on hops, too. And licorice. If stouts like old Rasputin are too hop-forward for you then stay away here. I'll have more of this to myself! Vanilla notes as it  warms.

M - medium and creamy, good carbonation. Alcohol is hidden very well and the high malt bill keeps the initial twang in check. Very well crafted.

D - did they use Kent Goldings as the bittering on these? I keep getting that vibe more and more as it warms. Anyway, drinkability is very good and I am glad this comes in a bomber because more and more flavors present themselves as temperatures change.

3.54/5  rDev -16.1%

A - Deep black. Thin head that doesn't retain too well.

S - Milk and dark chocolate tones. Caramel, and brown sugar are prevalent as well.

T - Alcohol all the way through for sure, also notes of bittersweet chocolate and molasses.

M - A bit more alcohol burn than I'd like but also a smooth creaminess when it goes down.

D - Overall a decent beer. Not the best, not the worst. Probably a good beer to judge other in the style against.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

A = Beautiful pure blackness underneath a two finger DARK brown head with staying power. Head held up through half the glass, and it was a slow half. Light lacing.

S = Aroma of toasted malts and abundant hops. Underlying were some subtle caramel, coffee, and chocolate notes, but the hops really dominate.

T = Very bold. Toasted malts and brown sugar or toffee sweetness hit upfront. Big spicy hop presence controls through the majority of the taste profile. A bit boozy hot to go along with the hop spice. The typical coffee/chocolate RIS notes are here but subtle compared to the toasty/sweet/hop. Very large hop presence should be noted and considered for those not into big hops in their stouts. I, for one, love it.

M = Nice smooth coating mouthfeel. Not as smooth as some others I've had, but not bad at all. A little hot, but I don't mind.

D = Altogether wouldn't consider this in the top tier of drinkable RIS's that I've had. Its boozy and spicy character holds it back in this respect. While I don't mind this in the taste department, it prevents me from really wanting more than one in a sitting.

On whole, a very good RIS that will probably stay in my rotation. Will seek the Oaked version for comparison. I imagine it's a big one.

Well, I've never given an all 5 review before, but I can't fault this beer at all. If I had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life this would be it.

A: Pitch black with a deep tan head, which lasts well considering the alcohol level of this beer.

S: Fresh, citrusy hops aroma dominates with dark, sweet malts coming through underneath.

T: An amazing explosion of flavour. Spicy, citrus hops; sweet and roasty malts; a perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness in the mouth followed by a pleasant bitter astringent aftertaste which lasts forever...

M: Rich and smooth in the mouth, with a pleasant astringency after swallowing.

D: Very refreshing considering the strength of this beer, and not cloying or tiring - an easy drinker - dangerously so.

All in all, I have to rate this as my favourite beer - for home drinking at least. For an evening in the pub I might prefer Timmy Taylor's Landlord but for quiet appreciation, this is the one.

4.73/5  rDev +12.1%

Inky black with a thick tan head. Smells of alcohol, chocolate, coffee and tastes of the same with some licorice thrown in. Surprisingly heavily hopped for such a heavy stout, but the hops aren't intrusive and acutally add much to the overall enjoyment level. Absolutely love this one.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

650ml, bottled May 11, 2010

A - Pours a tar black, with a fairly abundant thick, dark mocha head, similar to dark espresso crema, with good lacing. A greater amount than the average imperial.

S - Heavy dark chocolate smell, similar to a chocolate stout, with a good amount of alcohol, and a little coffee.

T - Big blunt taste of cocoa, malts, and roasted nuts right off the top, followed by a perfect amount of medium-low carbonation, with a strong boozey taste at the end. Other reviewers have talked about a mild-to-medium alcohol flavour. Maybe it was it's age, or what my "strong" is. Long lingering taste of cocoa and chocolate.

M - Big, thick and heavy. A really good imperial stout. Not the kind of beer to have a number of, but it would definitely be nice by a fire in the winter. And at 9.5%, you might not need much more.

3.22/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into my anderson valley "can" pint glass

Appearance: Extremely dark, almost like a black hole. No light is passing through this beer.

Smell: Very, very yeasty. Bread like smell. Similar to the aroma of a bakery of a summer afternoon.

Taste: Warm, doughy taste. Lots of chocolate as well. Mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel: This is one HEAVY beer. Felt more like eating a sandwich than drinking a beer. Mild carbonation.

Overall: This beer had A LOT of flavor, but lacked the complexity I seek in a RIS. Glad I tried it, but won't repeat. Will be trying the oak aged and chocolate oak versions though soon.

WOW!! just poured some of this 22oz into a wine glass, swished it around to take in the aroma, although I didn't need to because I could smell it from two feet away. It poured a thick khaki head that went to the way side with light lacing fairly quickly. The nose is a dark chocolate, coffee, and hop wallup! The taste is very well balanced with everything I smelled and a bit of raspberry. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and exceptionally drinkable. I put this stout on the short list of the greats, including Dark Lord and Bourbon County. This really kicks you in the ass! This weekend I am having some friends over for Yeti, Oak Aged Yeti, and Southern Tier Choklat. I may look for a couple more stouts as well to rate. KILLER!

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company