Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

An onslaught of the senses. It starts with big, roasty malt flavor that gives way to rich caramel and toffee notes. YETI gets its bold hop character from an enormous quantity of American hops.

Added by cokes on 08-09-2003

Reviews: 1,773 | Ratings: 5,371
3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

The 12oz bottle was served on a Snifter.

A: very dark brown body almost black with no head and no lacing. Nothing too impressive.

S: roasted malts, dark chocolate and notes of espresso.

T: the predominant taste is dark chocolate that leaves an everlasting aftertaste. Dark coffee is also present along with slight notes of dark cherries and tart. The taste has a slight sweet start that turns into a bitter taste due to the dark chocolate feel along with coffee.

M: full body, somewhat smooth and creamy with low carbonation. Feels nice.

O: an overall good stout, I was expecting this to be a bit more sweet but nevertheless is a good option in its style.

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured a 12 oz can into standard pint glass. Very dark, like chocolate syrup. Thick like molasses. A dark brown head that remained for some time, and left very thick lacing on my glass as I drank it. It smells of coffee & chocolate. The taste is sweet and rich - dark chocolate with hints of molasses and coffee. Silky mothfeel with a hint of that alcohol heat you get from stronger brews. Smooth and flavorful - a delicious dessert beer in my opinion.

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

An old favorite and my first love as pertains to imperial stouts. I got a chance to try this on draft at Great Divide's tap room a few months back. This time it's a 12oz bottle into a goblet. I think I messed up the pour because I got almost no head, but I know it gives a brown creme color and is quit sizable usually. The actual beer is as black as Himmler's Heart.

This beer smells like vanilla and chocolate mostly. When you take a drink, it tastes similar but there is a massive hop bite. There is a really dry taste that I can't place there too. Reminds me of the woods, or a lumber yard...in a good way, of course. Nice and smooth. It's sweeter than I remember it being, but not overly so. I wish I had the willpower to age one of these babies and see what happens.

Great Divide makes some damn fine beers in my opinion, this one being up there as one of their best.

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

I'd say it's a pretty standard stout with a little extra heat and alcohol on the taste due to the barrel aging. Sweet and leaning on the fuller side, not a bad little beer.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

What a dark beer. It looks like black velvet poured into my glass. There is a thick milk chocolate brown head that is very pillowy. There are microscopic bubbles on the edges that collect into larger bubbles in the center of the glass. Amazing head retention that leaves rings on the glass as you drink. I currently count three.

The smell is of dark malts and dried fruits. Raisins, currents and plum are the dominate scents that I get. There is also an alcohol twinge that is carried on faint chocolate wings.

This brew is thick. It solidly coats your pallet with a creamy smooth mouthfeel. I can feel it solidifying my saliva, kind of like eating good chocolate.

Taste is pleasant. There is a malty chocolate flavor that hints of some hops but never reveals them. A fruity alcohol flavor rips through your mouth and warms your tongue from front to back. There is a sweet malt aftertaste.

A nice big beer. This one is great for drinking on that cold march nights when the late snows are falling. Go ahead, drink the whole bottle and cross your fingers for a freeze so you can go to work late.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Poored from 12 oz bottle in to standard pint glass. Looks good solid black small tan head. Smells like cold been in the fridge for a day coffee with slight vanilla creeping in. Taste is a little more of the same but with more chockolate and spicy hops. Feel is smooth and I mean smooth verry nice. Drinkability suffered slightly do to the wrong style to drink on a warm day, it would be higher if it were cold and snowy that is when this beer would shine I am sure.

Pours from 22oz bottle.

A- Pours a black as night color. 2 finger mocha colored head shows medium retention. Streaky and ringy lacing on the sides of the glass when I drink this one down.

S- Tons of roasted malts on the front end of this beer. The middle has chocoalte malts coming through a ton with a hint of darker fruits. Some light hops in the back end give some sort of balance to the aroma.

T- Tons of roasted malts with a nice coffee taste. Middle of the beer shows more chocolate malts that range in the light semi-sweet/bittersweet flavor. Some light darker fruits come through toward the ending with a nice hop bitterness that balanced out the overall flavor.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Roasted and chocolate malts left on the palate. Warming alcohol and chocoalte malts left in the aftertaste. Flavors were blended well and set together for the style. Medium drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This beer was a nice drinker. ABV was nicely shown and not over the top. The hops in this was a little faded I thought.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Bottled on date on the label of January 23rd 2009, making this a fairly fresh bottle. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Very opaque black body with a small brown head.

Smell: The smell is lighter than I thought it would be. So far it's not the "onslaught of the senses" that the label boasts. Some coffee and hops.

Taste: Lots of caramel and buttery toffee in the taste. Bitter and sweet chocolate. Finishes with some roastiness and hops.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance - dark, very dark. nice voluptuous pour. dark mocha head that starts foamy and pops away to a thin sliver.

Smell - nice maltiness and fresh hops.

Taste - Hoppiness leans towards stealing the flavor, but is overall a well controlled hops/roasted malt balance. seemed to be absent of the usual coffee flavor, but did have a minute chocolate taste. What was a little different is that when the brew warmed up, the flavors didn't seem to expand.

Mouthfeel - Thick, leaves a film on the tongue that distracts from the taste. The alcohol dry feel did seem to come out more as it sat.

Drinkability - OK, not bad, but would not have converted me if it was the first Imperial Stout I ever tried.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

My first try at a Yeti. A big name with a Sasquatch-sized flavor.

Right out of the glass it had an amazing black color on a thick pour. Very little head, no staying power and no lacing to mention - but the total blackness alone was amazing to behold. The scent was everything advertised - toffee, malty, hoppy, and even some caramel (to my nose) for good measure. The beer had a nice heavy texture to the tongue, definitely carbonated, but it doesn't hold long. Though I have had plenty of 9 and 10% brews in my day, and I enjoy them immensely, this one didn't quite mesh well with the strong hops they claim to use. I was expecting something more balanced, not terrible, just not what I was hoping for. Anyway, a good beer and one to have on hand to impress those fellow craft aficionado's when they drop by for a visit.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

An aggressive pour yields a half finger of dark brown head over a nearly black body. This goes away quickly and leaves nothing behind. Lace tries to cling but does not quite make it.

Dark roasty malt and dark fruit is a strong aroma. A little coffee and chocolate filter through.

Dark, roasty malt and deep characters of dark fruit start this one off. Coffee really takes off from there, and finishes with a little chocolate.

The mouthfeel is full bodied. It leaves a little residue on the back of the tongue.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours pitch black with very attractive head coffee and cream color. Stays there for a while, good retention.
Very strong coffee aroma, slightly hoppy, some roasted malts are coming through as well. Very classic nose.
Taste is malty, lots of coffee, which adds some bitterness.I'd say it has some fruity profile as well, prunes are noticeable. Alcohol is coming through but it is not overwhelming and on rather warming side. Very thick, reach stout, fairly drinkable. Very well brewed.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

A great Imperial stout. Or American Double Stout, whatever you want to call it. Dark chocolate, coffee, and alcohol fight for the nose's attention. The taste is more coffee and roasted malts with a sharp hop bite following the chocolate sweetness, with the ever present taste of alcohol. One is enough.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

A- This is one of the finer looking Russian Imperial Stouts that I have seen. Beautiful light chocolate brown head that holds for quite some time. Plenty of lacing as well, nice and sticky. This is the type of beer that would make your mouth water if you saw someone else drinking it at the bar.

S- Coffee is very prevalent in this beer. followed by some dark chocolate notes. Seem to be getting a milk smell as well, although I feel that it is separate smell if that makes any sense. A little alcohol is present but not overpowering.

T- The dark chocolate comes out a lot more than it does in the smell and followed closely by roasted coffee. Also begins with a large presence of roasted malts but that is quickly pushed away with a fairly large bitterness and hop flavor. Probably one of the more bitter Russian Imperial Stouts that I have tasted.

M- Nice full bodied mouthfeel that is great in a stout. Molds fairly well with the beer.

D- I do really like this beer, but it certainly is a sipper. Do not know if I would like to open up another one of these after I finish.

Notes: Will certainly purchase this beer again and I suggest that anyone who loves stouts to try it as well.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours black with a good head and lasting lacing.

Smells of malt, dark chocolate, and a slight twang of hops in the finish.

Tastes of bitter dark chocolate over a deep malty base. Citric hops in the finish. Definite alcohol presence. Some coffee notes. Hops are nice, but a bit dominant for my taste.

Mouthfeel is very nice, smooth and coating. The best part of this for me.

This is a quality beer. I can't say that it necessarily distinguishes itself from many of the other quality RISs out there. Pretty nice, but if were up to me, I'd cut back on the hops a bit.

12 oz. bottle poured into stout glass

(bottled on 1/23/13; drank 4/14/13)

L: black; only the absolute tip is dark amber when held up to light; chocolate head, about 1/2-inch of fluffy foam, very thick with plenty of lacing; the head looks red from top down

S: malt; burnt/toasted chocolate; sweet biscuits at times; alcohol shows up at times

T: espresso, chocolate ... the first sip is as good as it gets; loads of malt with a solid backbone of hops; very chocolatey with a lot of alcohol in the taste; finishes very dry; tastes more burnt than the smell, but it's not a bad thing.

F: thick, full, not syrupy but at times feels lumpy ... carbonation keeps it drinkable

O: it's quite a bit ... LOVE the fact that you can get it in 12 oz. bottles because 12 oz. is about all I'd ever want in a session; as good a malt fix as I've run into in the darker malt family; a testament to this one's gateway prowess: I CRAVED this brew by the time I reached the fourth and final bottle in my four-pack.

When the weather starts to cool and/or I get in the mood for some stout, I will definitely be going back to this one. A really good brew, and though the 9.5% ABV is ever-present, it's never overbearing.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

On tap at Jone's Radiator. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a black walnut color and is opaque. Creamy brown head.

Smells of sweet burnt caramel candy and coffee.

Taste is a burned flavor. Dark fruit flavors some burned caramel and molasses.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and cloying.

ABV is high to be sessionable. But tasty.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Very dark brown, burnt umber in color with a hard pour yeiding a one-quarter inch head. Only a small, wispy cloud of bubbles with a ring arond the glass remains on the surface throughout this session.

Roasted yet somewhat restrained maltiness with a pronounced floral hop aroma and an alcohol tail wind.

Big, sweet roasted malt, cereal goodness bordering on syrupy,
saved by a healthy dose of bitter and floral hoppiness, clean alcohol finish.

Thick, smooth and sticky.

Drinkability suffers only from high alcohol content ond overall heaviness of this brew.

A well made brew, flavors are well integrated, aroma betrays little of the complex malt profile, very tasty.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

12 oz. bottle dated 04/2006 so this is not quite a year old. The pour is really inky black and looks like motor oil. The head was a large brown coffee-colored fluff. The smell was roasty and hoppy at the same time. The beer really laced the glass well and thickly I might add. The taste was very hoppy, chocolatey, and I also tasted cookie-dough in there. The mouthfeel was a little thin and one of the only drawbacks to this beer. I prefer the Oak-Aged Yeti because the oak really seems to tame the hops and mellow the beer. I like hoppy beers but not hoppy stouts. Anyway, this is still a winner but get the Oaked if you see them side-by-side in the liquor store.

Update 12/23/07
Mouthfeel has firmed up, nice aromas, no doughy flavor this time, roasty with a bitterness that lasts, I bet this can age awhile longer.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: Completely black with a tan head and some dark tan hues within the lacing and head.

Smell: Bold and great. This beer throws many flavors at you simultaneously.

Taste: Dark roasted malt flavors come and then settle with the bitterness of hops. Amazing amounts of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very thick feeling but drinkable and definitely palatable.

Drinkability: Because it is so thick it might not be as drinkable as others. My senses would go numb if I were to drink a few more.

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a bottle into a Gingerman pint glass.

Appearance - This isn't a bad looking beer. Pours like thick, syrupy, coffee with a fingers worth of head. Lacing is minimal and the head disappears after several minutes.

Smell - I love the smell of a good RIS. Alcohol, vanilla, dark malts and maybe some dark chocolate, and some kind of spice...

Taste - Pretty delicious. Dark roasted malt, and quite a bit of hop spiciness. Sweet opening with a bitter finish. The bitter just makes me want to take another sip. There is a faint hint of bitter chocolate behind the hops that shows up in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Pretty good compared to some other RISs. Thick (as should be expected) and creamy with a bitter finish. A little more carbonation to balance with the bitterness would have been nice, but that just sounds like I am nitpicking.

Drinkability - This beer has very good drinkability when compared to some others in the same style. Drinkability is better if you just take frequent small sips as opposed to a few large gulps. I noticed some friends of mine who were not very experienced with such a stout beer trying to take it down in large gulps, while I took frequent tiny sips, and I actually finished my beer before they did.

This is a great beer. Try it if you haven't, but, I prefer the oaked version over this one. The oaked version has smoother edges when compared to the original. This is still a great beer, let alone a great RIS. Yummy.

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

12 oz. bottle, 3/11/11, poured into a shaker pint.

Mocha head very quickly receding to no head whatsoever. Some legs, but more of just a light brown smear left on the glass. Absolutely opaque.

The first smell that I notice is roasted, unmalted barley. Behind that, some cocoa and coffee.

Creamy mouthfeel, slightly burnt taste, nice hoppiness that compliments the burnt aroma, maybe too much, if this were my homebrew, I would probably drop the roastiness and see what happened. Very pleasant, a nice strong-tasting, thick stout to write this research journal article over. I like this...but I think Old Rasputin is better, more widely available, and cheaper.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: Extremely dark brown, some may say black. Thick, luxurious foamy head that lasts, chocolate brown in color.

Aroma: Coffee, dark malts and glorious chocolate! Closer sniffs revealed subtle hints of that noble hop goodness, not overpowering or pungent at all.

Taste: Chocolate and malts are predominant, aftertaste has some coffee/toffee tones and a good portion of hop bitterness but not out of balance at all.

Palate: Silky smooth and almost chewy. Noticeable aftertaste of alcohol which puts me off a bit, but the strong coffee/chocolate tastes keep it from burning or feeling hot.

Overall: On the whole a great tasting beer but the strong and lasting flavors combined with the high ABV keep it from being enjoyable on a regular basis. While slowing sipping my one glass kept me impressed throughout, about half way through I realized I wouldn't care for another glass of this anytime soon... one was good but it'll do for a while.

12 oz bottle.
Thick and smooth with low carbonation; likely better if on nitro tap.
This is a big beer with a huge load of dark malts and plenty of hops as well. Enough coffee in the flavor to suggest there's actually some in here. Rich, very dark roast flavor.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

A beautiful jet black fills the glass with a dark tan half finger head that melts to very sticky lacing which covers the top of the glass.
Aromas are dark fruits...I smell mostly raisins... caramel, dark brown sugar and a little alcohol.
Flavor is dark, dark, bittersweet chocolate with bakers chocolate thrown in. Dark, dark French roast coffee...just a hint. A little sweet chocolate keeps sticking it's presence out for brief instances, then just when you go looking for it, it's gone, only to peek out again later as you indulge yourself by playing with this elixir in your mouth before slowly swallowing.
Dry, bitter, hops make themselves known in the aftertaste mixed with the bakers chocolate and French roast coffee or espresso.
Alcohol is slow to warm you after you swallow making this a very dangerous brew.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company