Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

An onslaught of the senses. It starts with big, roasty malt flavor that gives way to rich caramel and toffee notes. YETI gets its bold hop character from an enormous quantity of American hops.

Added by cokes on 08-09-2003

Reviews: 1,760 | Ratings: 5,324
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

My first try at a Yeti. A big name with a Sasquatch-sized flavor.

Right out of the glass it had an amazing black color on a thick pour. Very little head, no staying power and no lacing to mention - but the total blackness alone was amazing to behold. The scent was everything advertised - toffee, malty, hoppy, and even some caramel (to my nose) for good measure. The beer had a nice heavy texture to the tongue, definitely carbonated, but it doesn't hold long. Though I have had plenty of 9 and 10% brews in my day, and I enjoy them immensely, this one didn't quite mesh well with the strong hops they claim to use. I was expecting something more balanced, not terrible, just not what I was hoping for. Anyway, a good beer and one to have on hand to impress those fellow craft aficionado's when they drop by for a visit.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

An aggressive pour yields a half finger of dark brown head over a nearly black body. This goes away quickly and leaves nothing behind. Lace tries to cling but does not quite make it.

Dark roasty malt and dark fruit is a strong aroma. A little coffee and chocolate filter through.

Dark, roasty malt and deep characters of dark fruit start this one off. Coffee really takes off from there, and finishes with a little chocolate.

The mouthfeel is full bodied. It leaves a little residue on the back of the tongue.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours pitch black with very attractive head coffee and cream color. Stays there for a while, good retention.
Very strong coffee aroma, slightly hoppy, some roasted malts are coming through as well. Very classic nose.
Taste is malty, lots of coffee, which adds some bitterness.I'd say it has some fruity profile as well, prunes are noticeable. Alcohol is coming through but it is not overwhelming and on rather warming side. Very thick, reach stout, fairly drinkable. Very well brewed.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

A great Imperial stout. Or American Double Stout, whatever you want to call it. Dark chocolate, coffee, and alcohol fight for the nose's attention. The taste is more coffee and roasted malts with a sharp hop bite following the chocolate sweetness, with the ever present taste of alcohol. One is enough.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

A- This is one of the finer looking Russian Imperial Stouts that I have seen. Beautiful light chocolate brown head that holds for quite some time. Plenty of lacing as well, nice and sticky. This is the type of beer that would make your mouth water if you saw someone else drinking it at the bar.

S- Coffee is very prevalent in this beer. followed by some dark chocolate notes. Seem to be getting a milk smell as well, although I feel that it is separate smell if that makes any sense. A little alcohol is present but not overpowering.

T- The dark chocolate comes out a lot more than it does in the smell and followed closely by roasted coffee. Also begins with a large presence of roasted malts but that is quickly pushed away with a fairly large bitterness and hop flavor. Probably one of the more bitter Russian Imperial Stouts that I have tasted.

M- Nice full bodied mouthfeel that is great in a stout. Molds fairly well with the beer.

D- I do really like this beer, but it certainly is a sipper. Do not know if I would like to open up another one of these after I finish.

Notes: Will certainly purchase this beer again and I suggest that anyone who loves stouts to try it as well.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours black with a good head and lasting lacing.

Smells of malt, dark chocolate, and a slight twang of hops in the finish.

Tastes of bitter dark chocolate over a deep malty base. Citric hops in the finish. Definite alcohol presence. Some coffee notes. Hops are nice, but a bit dominant for my taste.

Mouthfeel is very nice, smooth and coating. The best part of this for me.

This is a quality beer. I can't say that it necessarily distinguishes itself from many of the other quality RISs out there. Pretty nice, but if were up to me, I'd cut back on the hops a bit.

12 oz. bottle poured into stout glass

(bottled on 1/23/13; drank 4/14/13)

L: black; only the absolute tip is dark amber when held up to light; chocolate head, about 1/2-inch of fluffy foam, very thick with plenty of lacing; the head looks red from top down

S: malt; burnt/toasted chocolate; sweet biscuits at times; alcohol shows up at times

T: espresso, chocolate ... the first sip is as good as it gets; loads of malt with a solid backbone of hops; very chocolatey with a lot of alcohol in the taste; finishes very dry; tastes more burnt than the smell, but it's not a bad thing.

F: thick, full, not syrupy but at times feels lumpy ... carbonation keeps it drinkable

O: it's quite a bit ... LOVE the fact that you can get it in 12 oz. bottles because 12 oz. is about all I'd ever want in a session; as good a malt fix as I've run into in the darker malt family; a testament to this one's gateway prowess: I CRAVED this brew by the time I reached the fourth and final bottle in my four-pack.

When the weather starts to cool and/or I get in the mood for some stout, I will definitely be going back to this one. A really good brew, and though the 9.5% ABV is ever-present, it's never overbearing.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

On tap at Jone's Radiator. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a black walnut color and is opaque. Creamy brown head.

Smells of sweet burnt caramel candy and coffee.

Taste is a burned flavor. Dark fruit flavors some burned caramel and molasses.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and cloying.

ABV is high to be sessionable. But tasty.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Very dark brown, burnt umber in color with a hard pour yeiding a one-quarter inch head. Only a small, wispy cloud of bubbles with a ring arond the glass remains on the surface throughout this session.

Roasted yet somewhat restrained maltiness with a pronounced floral hop aroma and an alcohol tail wind.

Big, sweet roasted malt, cereal goodness bordering on syrupy,
saved by a healthy dose of bitter and floral hoppiness, clean alcohol finish.

Thick, smooth and sticky.

Drinkability suffers only from high alcohol content ond overall heaviness of this brew.

A well made brew, flavors are well integrated, aroma betrays little of the complex malt profile, very tasty.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

12 oz. bottle dated 04/2006 so this is not quite a year old. The pour is really inky black and looks like motor oil. The head was a large brown coffee-colored fluff. The smell was roasty and hoppy at the same time. The beer really laced the glass well and thickly I might add. The taste was very hoppy, chocolatey, and I also tasted cookie-dough in there. The mouthfeel was a little thin and one of the only drawbacks to this beer. I prefer the Oak-Aged Yeti because the oak really seems to tame the hops and mellow the beer. I like hoppy beers but not hoppy stouts. Anyway, this is still a winner but get the Oaked if you see them side-by-side in the liquor store.

Update 12/23/07
Mouthfeel has firmed up, nice aromas, no doughy flavor this time, roasty with a bitterness that lasts, I bet this can age awhile longer.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: Completely black with a tan head and some dark tan hues within the lacing and head.

Smell: Bold and great. This beer throws many flavors at you simultaneously.

Taste: Dark roasted malt flavors come and then settle with the bitterness of hops. Amazing amounts of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very thick feeling but drinkable and definitely palatable.

Drinkability: Because it is so thick it might not be as drinkable as others. My senses would go numb if I were to drink a few more.

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a bottle into a Gingerman pint glass.

Appearance - This isn't a bad looking beer. Pours like thick, syrupy, coffee with a fingers worth of head. Lacing is minimal and the head disappears after several minutes.

Smell - I love the smell of a good RIS. Alcohol, vanilla, dark malts and maybe some dark chocolate, and some kind of spice...

Taste - Pretty delicious. Dark roasted malt, and quite a bit of hop spiciness. Sweet opening with a bitter finish. The bitter just makes me want to take another sip. There is a faint hint of bitter chocolate behind the hops that shows up in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Pretty good compared to some other RISs. Thick (as should be expected) and creamy with a bitter finish. A little more carbonation to balance with the bitterness would have been nice, but that just sounds like I am nitpicking.

Drinkability - This beer has very good drinkability when compared to some others in the same style. Drinkability is better if you just take frequent small sips as opposed to a few large gulps. I noticed some friends of mine who were not very experienced with such a stout beer trying to take it down in large gulps, while I took frequent tiny sips, and I actually finished my beer before they did.

This is a great beer. Try it if you haven't, but, I prefer the oaked version over this one. The oaked version has smoother edges when compared to the original. This is still a great beer, let alone a great RIS. Yummy.

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

12 oz. bottle, 3/11/11, poured into a shaker pint.

Mocha head very quickly receding to no head whatsoever. Some legs, but more of just a light brown smear left on the glass. Absolutely opaque.

The first smell that I notice is roasted, unmalted barley. Behind that, some cocoa and coffee.

Creamy mouthfeel, slightly burnt taste, nice hoppiness that compliments the burnt aroma, maybe too much, if this were my homebrew, I would probably drop the roastiness and see what happened. Very pleasant, a nice strong-tasting, thick stout to write this research journal article over. I like this...but I think Old Rasputin is better, more widely available, and cheaper.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: Extremely dark brown, some may say black. Thick, luxurious foamy head that lasts, chocolate brown in color.

Aroma: Coffee, dark malts and glorious chocolate! Closer sniffs revealed subtle hints of that noble hop goodness, not overpowering or pungent at all.

Taste: Chocolate and malts are predominant, aftertaste has some coffee/toffee tones and a good portion of hop bitterness but not out of balance at all.

Palate: Silky smooth and almost chewy. Noticeable aftertaste of alcohol which puts me off a bit, but the strong coffee/chocolate tastes keep it from burning or feeling hot.

Overall: On the whole a great tasting beer but the strong and lasting flavors combined with the high ABV keep it from being enjoyable on a regular basis. While slowing sipping my one glass kept me impressed throughout, about half way through I realized I wouldn't care for another glass of this anytime soon... one was good but it'll do for a while.

12 oz bottle.
Thick and smooth with low carbonation; likely better if on nitro tap.
This is a big beer with a huge load of dark malts and plenty of hops as well. Enough coffee in the flavor to suggest there's actually some in here. Rich, very dark roast flavor.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

A beautiful jet black fills the glass with a dark tan half finger head that melts to very sticky lacing which covers the top of the glass.
Aromas are dark fruits...I smell mostly raisins... caramel, dark brown sugar and a little alcohol.
Flavor is dark, dark, bittersweet chocolate with bakers chocolate thrown in. Dark, dark French roast coffee...just a hint. A little sweet chocolate keeps sticking it's presence out for brief instances, then just when you go looking for it, it's gone, only to peek out again later as you indulge yourself by playing with this elixir in your mouth before slowly swallowing.
Dry, bitter, hops make themselves known in the aftertaste mixed with the bakers chocolate and French roast coffee or espresso.
Alcohol is slow to warm you after you swallow making this a very dangerous brew.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Black body with a very dark brown head that sticks like a rolemodel. Quite hoppy aroma comparable to a storm king with a deep maltiness of milk chocolate and light coffee notes. Taste is immensely balanced with a touch of everything required in a good imperial stout. Initially mild chocolate to start up and quickly fades into a very dry roastiness, hoppy finish. Body is thick, ultra-creamy, pretty carbonated. Very neat imperial with a stupendous balance and as much flavor as it should contain.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Coal black with a cappuccino colored head that is frothy, big and bold. Lacing is amazing, as the head clings tightly to the inside of the glass.

This aroma is big on hops, with rich, creamy coffee and bitter chocolate lingering in the background. Probably one of the hoppiest smelling RIS's that I have had. I don't get any of the dark fruity notes that I enjoy so much.

Taste is again up-front with big hops, but creamy rich latte and milk chocolate are right there with it, along with some prune, raisin and alcohol. Interesting and complex. I look forward to each and every sip.

Big bodied, thick and creamy in the mouth. Enjoyable even on a hot summer day for sure.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

This is my first review, so bear with me here, guys (+feel free to critique my critique!). I just turned 21 eight months ago and have been working on my beer palate daily (trying roughly at least one new beer every day) until I now feel comfortable enough to review one. And this guy seems unique enough to pop my cherry.

So anyway, I've been wanting to try the Yeti for some time now after seeing variations of it all over the place. It must be damn good if its good enough to produce spin-offs, right?
Well, I bought the 22oz bottle and poured it into my Ommegang glass (not the right glass, I know, but I just got it and am super psyched to use it!!). Second pouring went into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - Deep, dark brown. Looks like 22 ounces of espresso. The head, once died down, even looks like espresso foam.

Smell - Milder smell than one would expect (or maybe that's just my stuffed-up nose talking). Smells like a bar of roasted caramel candy with an added oakiness.

Taste - Tastes like hugely over-roasted espresso with about a cup of caramel dumped in. I hate sweets, yet somehow this baby grows on me with every sip. It hits you with an immediate sweetness, but, quickly, the bitterness of the hops + roasted malt flavor hugely overpower the fleeting sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Standard stout feel: thick, creamy, filling. Though the intense flavor leaves your mouth in shock, feeling like you've just woken up after falling asleep with coffee beans in your mouth all night. You're forced to use the hair of the dog to quench this bitterness with more of it!

Overall - Yeti is a perfect name for this one. This guy is really the Sasquatch of beers! 22oz is just right and leaves me satisfied enough that I won't need another beer for at least six hours. To fully enjoy this mammoth, be sure to eat bland tasting food leading up to it and come on a light stomach. It'll kick you in the balls. High marks!

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Pours a solid black with an abundant head of very dark brown bubbles which show incredible retention--perhaps the best looking RIS I am yet to encounter.

S: I can feel it luring me in before I am even near it. Even 1.5 feet away it oozes chocolatey roasted malt goodness. Sweet, and a little bit smoky/roasty. Rich dark chocolate and an acidity that makes one think of coffee even though this isn't the espresso-aged version. Light floral element in the nose as well, courtesy of the hops.

Taste: Rich dark chocolate and coffee envelop the mouth, with the roasted malt and light smokiness coming through in the finish. Nice warming feeling pops up to provide company. A bit of dark fruit in there as well. Citrus note throughout, with a bitterness that matches the dark grains' acidity fairly well. The bitterness seems to accumulate with each sip.

M: Medium-high carbonation, a bit more than I prefer in a RIS. Still a pleasant creaminess though.

D: A fine offering from Great Divide. The citrus and bitterness seem to dominate after sitting with it for a while--I think I would prefer this aged a bit to mellow out the hops. Nice complexity of mlats and hops, just not exactly in the proportions I prefer.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours pitch black, moonless night in the forest. Incredible cascading effect on the pour nets a 3 finger high coffee brown head with incredible retention and all sorts of sticky lacing.

Smell highlights coffee and bittersweet chocolate as well as some sweet syrupy cherry, citrus hoppiness and noticable alcohol.

Bold yet boozy, coffee and chocolate malt follows the nose, there is also some dark fruit that detracts from the overall flavor. Earthy and citrus hops are faded but provide some balancing effect. Notes of tobacco, smoke and bing cherries come up near the end of the drink.

Creamy, chewy yet somewhat smooth drink. Finishes bittering but with a mouth coating of syrup that holds the bitterness and coffee flavors. Average body for a stout not too viscous despite the pour but the carbonation is a little low, sits heavy on the palate and you need to work to get the flavors out from the middling alcohol background.

I get the hype but this stout seems to be more about being bold then balance. Benchmark imperial stout, rather affordable and readily available.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from 22oz bomber into Unibroue tulip.

Appearance: Pours an almost pitch black, with about a fingersworth of dark burnt caramel colored head that disipated rapidly. Not much lacing to speak of.

Smell: Lots of chocolate, and roasted malt tones everywhere, with hints of coffee. A faint hint of alcohol.

Taste: Dark chocolate, roasty notes, coffee. A nice bready malt base here.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, as any RIS should be.

Overall: Very good brew, especially for the price.

Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti

12oz bottle, Sam Adams Perfect Pint

A: Pours darker than night, jet black and opaque. Viscous and well carbonated with a creamy dark brown head that shows good staying power and excellent legs.

S: Hops and dark malt, chocolate, a little booze. I don't detect a lot of roasted or coffee character.

T: Hops and dark malts, bittersweet chocolate, some grapefruit on the finish mixed with coffee and coffee bitterness. Alcohol burn on the way out.

MF: Viscous and full bodied. Pretty bitter for a stout, and very drying.

O: Liked it. It's a good RIS that doesn't try to do too much. I liked the hop presence but I can see how it turns some people off.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Dark borwn beer with a big frothy head that coats the glass in lacing. The head takes forever to subside at that.

S - Coffee, chocolate, molasses, alcohol and burnt malt.

T - A lot of slightly sweet chocolatey malt with a touch of coffee and alcohol. The aftertaste is a faint coffee bitterness.

M - Smooth, thick, pretty refreshing. No complaints.

D - Good. I think I prefer the oak aged, but this isn't far behind. I will certainly have one of them again sometime.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap at the Lost Dog Lounge in Ithaca, NY, inexplicably served in a plastic pint glass (whose shockingly effective insulation made it really, really hard to warm up).

Very thin dark tan head (par for the course on a Russian Imperial Stout with this much alcohol), but it definitely stuck around, even as I held my beer for twenty minutes or so to warm it up. Very nice lacing on the glass (well, plastic), and a dark, inky, opaque near-black.

Nice toffee and caramel aroma with some darker coffee and chocolate hiding back there. A little bit of herbal hops back there, too, and some nonspecific fruitiness. A big, pleasing smell overall.

Huge malty, toffee flavor, secondary on the chocolate and coffee flavors. The finish is beautiful; the alcohol and hops take it from an incredibly sweet brew to a nice, crisp dryness that lingers with some herbal flavors. Definitely a big, thick brew that coats the mouth and the tongue; very satisfying.

Big, tasty, and gets a lot right as far as I'm concerned. I would, however, definitely consider this a food beer. The first time I had it (from a bottle, not on tap), it was with barbecued spare ribs, and it was just about the best beer/food combination ever. On its own, it's a little harder to down, especially because it's not as much of a dessert beer as something like Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company