Hercules Double IPA | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Reviews: 1,573 | Ratings: 4,108
4.42/5  rDev +7%

A very good hop showcase. Light copper color with an off-white head, formed of tight bubbles, but went away fairly quickly. Great hop nose, floral with some spiciness, with hints of some toasty malts. Flavor definitely shows the hops, but a solid malt profile holds its own. Aggressively bitter, you pick up the hop bite in the aftertaste as well. Mouthfeel is decent - feels very lively on the tongue. Overall, an excellent beer, but at 9.1%, not one that I could have all night.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

22 ounce bottle poured twice into a pint glass.

Appearance: Foggy honey color with a light caramel head.

Smell: Sweet and alcoholic syrupy smell. Freshly cut oak.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Deep alcoholic sweet strap to the tongue, boarded over with strong grassy and woody hops. Very present hop aftertaste complemented with rich malt. Thick and smooth with a carbonated hoppy zest that tingles the tongue.

Drinkability: Very delicious and addictive, but the alcohol content can creep up quickly from 22 ounces.

3.71/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a medium copper amber with medium white head. Smell is very unusual in that it has a grape aroma mixed in a hop forward nose. Reminds me more of a barleywine nose. Sweeter scent mixed in the nose that I can't put my finger on, almost a licorice candy, with slight sweet bread note. Taste has a distinct malt presence that reminds me of malted milk ball. Unusual for a DIPA to be so malt heavy with little hop bitterness to the palate. It's difficult to sort out the different flavors as a result. This is one I need to come back to when it comes out fresh.

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

I'm going back to the hop bombs again. This should be a good homecoming.

A: Super hazy, deep amber-copper, Creamy off-white head. Delicate lacing.

S: Hoppy. More pine than citrus. Also, sweet malts.

T&M: A hop assault on the back of the tongue.followed by a pine resin finish that I love about the style. Medium bodied. Reminiscent of a simpler Maharaja though quite carbonated in comparison. Supposed "big malty backbone" is a little overrated.

D: Gets better as it goes. The mark of a great beer. Easier to drink than a Maharaja.

A Fine American Hop Bomb.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Amber colour with large off-white head of which a thin layer remains during the entire session. Soon there is heavy lacing around two-thirds of the glass. Simply beautiful.

The nose has a nutty bitter tone to it. An intense smell of American hops fill the room as soon as I begin to pour. Definite pine tones can be found.

Heavy, dry, bitter taste. The alcohol makes itself apparent immediately.

Smooth, dry, mouthfeel with an aftertaste that sticks to the back to your mouth for a long time. The carbonation is thankfully relatively light.

What can be said about drinkability then? Considering how heavy this beer is, it goes down almost easier than one would want.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

MaltFrazier hooked me up with a big ol' bottle of this brew... Now, I had already had the opprotunity to endulge in Titan IPA, so I was quite excited to try this.

This is a delicious brew... 9.1% abv is a shock because it's soooo smooth. A robust piny hops dominates the taste... the malt is actually noticeable as well... quite tasty... adding to the smooth character of this double IPA. The hop flavor however is rather one dimensional in my opinion... I drank a Laguanitas right after this and that is an example of a more diverse hop palate. However, as far as double IPA's go, this is delicious and highly drinkable. I'll be sure to grab this again.

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a medium-dark amber with a nice head. Smell is citrusy with a lot of pine coming through. The taste is very hoppy. Definitely a DIPA, though not the most overwhelming I've had. Piney hops make themselves known immediately and stay in the mouth after the beer is gone. A citrus taste is there as well. The beer is bitter, but balanced. A nice, slightly creamy malt taste balances this ale perfectly. The mouthfeel completes the balance of the ale. The hops, malt, and carbonation are almost perfect. I drink a fair bit of great divide and I would offer one word of caution; I have had a few bottles of this and the barleywine that were subdued and off balance. These beers seem to past their prime quicker than many. Again, I'm just speculating about that. But when you get one that doesn't suffer from that affliction, great divide is spot on.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Came back to re-rank this one higher. The more I try this one the better I like it.

If you're considering this one, just do it. Not one to pass up.

4.46/5  rDev +8%

This is one of my favorite Double IPA's (besides my homebrews) It pours out with a billowy off white head and deep orange color. The head remains till the end condensing slightly and leaving condierable lacing on the pint glass. It has a pronounced piney hop aroma. It seems to lack a fresh hop aroma which is my only criticism.

The flavor is outstanding. Balanced, malty, good hop bitterness, and lots of citrus and pine hop flavors.

Very strong beer but very drinkable if you are used to drinking this style.

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Amber in color, semi clear beer. Huge off white head with great retention and excellent lacing.

S- Citrus hops, pine hops, and a bit of caramel malt.

T- Initial minor caramel malt taste and then a huge hop explosion. Citrus and pine hops galore. This is NOT a balanced beer, but I love it! Can you say BITTER??

M- Thick, chewy, and bitter aftertaste left in my mouth.

D- Not extremely drinkable from a session sense, but extremely drinkable for hop heads. Love this beer and could drink 2 or 3 in a sitting.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Pours a darker orange color, leaving little head that quickly turns into lacing.

Smells like piney hops.

Tastes like piney, citrusy and fruity hops balanced with some caramel malt and alcohol. Fairly bitter overall, but not too extreme. Very solid taste overall.

Medium bodied and moderate carbonation, but a little thicker than most IPAs still.

Solid brew overall.

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Hercules Double IPA pours a beautifully deep orange/amber color with some interesting sediment floating around in there. The head is a slight off white that billows at first our and is slowly receding.

S- Oddly, I get sweet apples in the beginning, something I'm not used to nor expecting for the style. This is giving way to some rich malts with, again surprisingly enough, not a whole lot of hop aroma or citrus notes.

T- Wow, this is different. Very interesting. It's all malt in the beginning. It's sweet- almost fatty in a way with a good amount of caramel flavor. As i sip some more the citrus begins to come through, mainly with oranges. Finally, there is a good twinge of hop bitterness on the back end.

M- Quite smooth here. Very drinkable given the style. It is every bit as full bodied as you'd expect but still very smooth....which could get dangerous given it is 10.0%.

O- A great brew from a great brewery. I think I would have liked a bit more hop bitterness but I always appreciate a good malt backbone, so I can;t really complain. This is delicious and I would absolutely drink it again.

Serving Type- 12oz bottle poured into an IPA glass. Thanks for reading.

4.17/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a rich amber color with a thick (1.5") frothy head peppered with good size foam bubbles. Foam died down slowly creating an interesting looking aerial view of amber canals through the bubbly white foam hills. The bitter pine/citrus smell didn't remind me as much of fresh hops as I have come to expect from west coast IPA's.

The taste hints at the immense amount of hops loaded into every sip. A sweet malt beginning is balanced out with a sour lime-like finish. Hops clearly overwhelm the flavor, and possibly it's the fact that a different variety are used, but this simply does not appeal to my taste as much as my favorite IPA's. Although it does mask the 9.1% ABV quite well, this is one of the more sour IPA's I've tried and I can't say that I'm a big fan.

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Hop bomb exploded in my house tonight. 22 ounce bomber poured a bright orange copper. Nice two finger head. Citrusy hop nose offing magic aromas. Super bitter. A hophead's dream. I'm glad I have been working out my palate this past year. Otherwise this would be too much. The piney hops really come through in the aftertaste. Nice lacing. I wanted this to be the best beer I have had in the past year. I may still have to defer to Great Divide's Fresh Hop Ale. Double IPA's are enjoyable but may still be way too much. Who am I kidding, this is amazing!!! Bomber really settles in nicely on the palate after about a half a pint. The hops really hide the high ABV%. Great way to start the New Year.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz bottle, tulip glass

Pours a rich amber/mahogany color. Clear with some visible carbonation. Head is off white, slightly tan, creamy and moderate retention with sticky lacing.

Aroma was nice with pine hops, some citrus, and creamy. Might have picked up some vanilla.

Bold flavor of hops, but not overpowering. This had a nice bitterness, but did not kill the aftertaste. Well balanced with sweetness and some malts. Definitely picked up a nutty flavor, especially after a few sips. Alcohol incorporated nicely.

Decent mouthfeel, a little thick but nothing to complain about. Good carbonation. Another nice selection from Great Divide.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

This 22oz bad boy looks very promising from the moment I pour it. Cloudy copper color, with a beautiful rocky head, which slowly recedes. The smell of this beer is wonderful. Very piney with hints of citrus. I can’t wait to taste due to the great smell.

The first taste is very hoppy and bitter. Almost overwhelming and I do not taste much except hops. The second sip has much better balance after my taste buds are dope slapped from the first sip (in a good way). This hop monster has a very good malt backbone that makes it balance the onslaught of hops. I really like this beer after the first couple of sips. The mouthfeel is excellent: thick, sticky, and refreshing. By the bottom of the bottle, I realize that this is a 9% abv beer. Alcohol is very well hidden, so the drinkability is also excellent.

This is my first Hercules and is definitely one of my favorite DIPA’s. I will have to keep this one in DBF.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

I decided to crack open my 22 oz. bomber of this tonight. This beer pours a nice amber color with a decent head (I probably would’ve had more head if it was a bit warmer when I poured it). It is also not cloudy like their Titan IPA. The smells are of mainly malty goodness, but there’s a bit of a piney citrusy hops scent as well.

The taste and drinkability are where it’s at. This beer is a perfectly balanced double IPA. The flavors up front are of the sweet malts, perhaps some caramel malt. Down in back, you get the tingle of the hops, piney and citrusy, like the scent. Though the alcohol content is high, you don’t know it in the flavor. It feels a bit thicker and heavier, but that’s to be expected. I have easily drunk most of this glass (and I still have about half the bottle left).

This beer is pure pleasure. If you like IPA’s and you want to move onto bigger beers, this is a great start and finish (though I would still recommend trying more and more). I have definitely found my favorite double IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Poured from bottle into a snifter

A - Hazy burnt orange in color with an intense pale orange head that hangs around for quite awhile. Fair amount of lacing. Definitely looks like a beer named Hercules should in my opinion...a very thick and sturdy look to it

S - Wow, potent nose for sure. Floral hops, complex malts, and alcohol is prominent as well. Like the appearance, it does justice to its name.

T&M - Toffee malts, spicy hops, and hints of fruit start off the taste for me, and it finishes with a malty/alcohol kick in the mouth. The mouthfeel is medium to full with tons of flavor. A warming affect from the alcohol is present. Smooth. Unfortunately, the finish really started to wear on me: the blend of alcohol and malts really started to get a bit cloying at times; however, the kick at the end is probably intended and appropriate for the style.

D - Definitely a sipper; this is probably another characteristic of a DIPA. Like I mentioned, the finish did wear on me, and I did have trouble finishing my glass (although it should be pointed out that I'm very much a lightweight at times). Bottom line is that Hercules DIPA kicked my ass.

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Wow! I had this beer on tap at the brewery yesterday. I am not sure if it is was due to its freshness right from the source, its exceptional craft or both but it was one of the best Imperial IPAs that I have had to date.

The most striking aspect of this IPA was the aromas. I was amazed by the amount floral, citris, hoppiness coming out of the glass. Amazing aroma!

The taste did not disappoint. It is a well balanced Imperial IPA with tons of citris and florals. There must be a very thoughtful blend of hops going on here. The server was not forthcoming with the hop varieties in use. (I don't blame her.)

All in all this is an exceptional brew. Hop heads will be very pleased!

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A – Beautiful deep copper with a finger of off-white head and good lacing. Quite clear.

S – Tart citrus notes - orange, pineapple and grapefruit juice.

T – Very earthy bitterness right off the bat but perfectly balanced as the intense bitterness is soon subdued by a sugary malt sweetness. As the beer warms, the bitterness becomes even more offset by the malts. The citrus appears in the middle, predominately grapefruit peel. Piney notes linger on the back end. There is a bit of alcohol burn, even at colder temperatures. This increases as it warms as well.

M – Well carbonated and medium bodied. The finish is not dry but not too sweet either. Just right.

O – Everything you would want in an IIPA. Strong bitterness, well balanced with malt sweetness, flavorful hops, great aroma and a good amount of alcohol. No criticisms here. This beer ranks up there with the best of them.

3.77/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass with a nice IPA bronze color and a white head. Started up with rapid bubbling which kept the head for awhile giving me plenty of time to relax and enjoy.

Smelled pretty hoppy as I am no hop head. I was a bit intimidated by the double IPA description but from what I gather this one was put together right.

Tasted very nice. Verry hoppy but not nasty bitter. I was happy with the balance and was suprised that the hops could come out this much without the bitterness. Even the finish was smooth.

Also in the background were some fruity flovors that tasted very natural and clean. About half way through I caught a nice floral bouquet that I missed up front.

Small bubbles felt nice.

While I am not big into IPAs I'd never turn one of these down.

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

22 oz bottle from Consumer Beverage in Lockport, Ny bottled 9/9/11

Pours an orange color with white head, decent lacing after short retention

Aroma is dominated by citrus and malty sweetness.

I get worried with double ipa's because if they are not done right the flavor can have an orange juice like quality. With the aroma I was a little worried but the flavor is nicely balanced between the citurs and pine hops, malt sweetness and dryness from the alcohol. The bitterness is accertive but not overwhelming.

The mouthfeel is medium body and slightly prickly from the hops and alcohol.

I can't ask for more from a double ipa, this one does it right. Very drinkable, very american, I can have it again and again.

3.33/5  rDev -19.4%

You may notice that my individual category rankings are all over the board for this one. There's a reason...

A- Clear bronze with off-white head that lasts and leaves several layers of lacing on the glass.

S - Um. Earthy hops with really grainy caramel... I gotta be honest; all this really does is create a very real vomit character. Not good.

T - Wha?! Oh, I get it double ENGLISH IPA. Didn't see that one coming, but I only have my own biases to blame. Totally expecting the good ole American version. Very grainy flavor, especially from pale malt and caramel. The hops are there, but mostly in bitterness, not too much in flavor. They are earthy and grassy, but don't seem nearly close to the 82 IBU listed on the bottle. Totally grain dominated. It actually reminds me of an overly hopped maibock. Bottled on date is less than two months ago, so I can't blame it on being not very fresh.

M - This is a winner. Very VERY smooth carbonation and medium body. You can't feel a bit of alcohol.

D - If you plug your nose until you take a swig, it's extremely drinkable, due to the deft hiding of alcohol content. Not bad if you just get past that smell.

I haven't read a review of this one yet as not to bias myself. I'm really interested in what others have to say. This being a DIPA be style, I'm guessing it's a little inflated in its score.

A - Pours a amber color with a finger of head that holds

S - Hops, citrus, and alcohol in the nose

T - Very hoppy up front and lessens to end with a bittersweetness

M - Full body, some alcohol warmth, nice carbonation

D - Very good brew, the only thing I cons of this beer is I think it is too sweet, but overall an enjoyable experience.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to bort11 for this!

Bottle poured into a large tulip.

Pours a fiery amber/copper with alot of suspended sediment. Does not appear to be a hazy brew but it's tough to tell with the amount of yeast in suspension. Smaller head but the lace does cling nicely to my glass.

Grapefruit, muted florals, cracker in the yeast and slightly metallic tones dominate the smell. Only very muted alcohol or malt aromas make it through. Very nice.

Wow.Though very well hopped what hits me first are the things I could not smell as much, First the alcohol; a pleasant,warming spirit like alcoholic taste. Second the malt profile is huge relative to the faint malt aroma and while it isn't nearly the backbone that some doubles use it is absolutely appropriate here.
The hops are more prominent at the finish and are tart and the IBUs are very well appropriated. Pretty dry in the finish as well, I'm betting a Cali yeast strain.

Mouthfeel is on spot. This is how I want my doubles to feel.
slick but not oil slick and well carbed with viscosity a bit less than a scotch or robust porter.

Highly, highly quaffable. Every sip gets longer.

Very solid double, I might be in love. I got this in trade and realized several weeks later that it's available in Mass. so I'll be picking up a case of this next time I head south.

EDIT: Lord, save my soul. I just realized that I am the 666th reviewer of this Hellishly good shit.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company