Love Belgian Beer?

Added by filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Reviews: 1,567 | Ratings: 4,079
3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice (served at 54 degrees):

A - Pours a deep honey/amber with ample foam. Head recedes quickly (to be expected for the ABV) and leaves spotty lacing.

S - Citrus and Malt with a backfill of pine and grass.

T - Different! This is the first DIPA that seems like the malt is in the forefront and the hops fill in afterward to balance it out. This one presents opposite of most DIPAs that I've sampled. It gives the overall expectation of a DIPA, but leaves the mouth with a dry bitterness; not unpleasant, but slightly aspirin in quality.

M - Oily and sticky without cloying. Carbonation is very present, but not obtrusive and tends to clear the tongue between sips. This brew remains smooth through the warming process.

D - Outside of the fact that this is a DIPA in reverse, it is truly solid in the style.

I'm dying to try this on cask! A backwards DIPA in my opinion since the malt hit me first and was followed by the hops. Nonetheless, it is extremely balanced and flavorful. I'm glad that I've scratched this one off of my "Must Try" list and will revisit it occasionally.

A nice strong beer and one can taste it. A lighter body it seems than some other American Double style beers. More carbonation if one will, than some other American doubles. A strong, crisp opening taste, that is sort of light and "high" if one will, like a cresting wave at the onset, which dissolves into a sort of pleasing aftertaste that embellishes upon the beers hoppy-ness. The smell of the beer is also quite pleasing, and perhaps more "fresh" than one might be accustomed to in American Doubles.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz. bomber whose label indicates Nov. 7, 2008 bottling.

A: Pours an amber, shiny copper-like color (meaning it's pretty bright). Delicious-looking tuft of eggshell white head--a solid 1.5 fingers deep. Retention and lacing are solid.

S: Sweet, almost caramel malt scent up front with piney hops of medium intensity, considering the style. Some citrus and pine nut notes as well.

T & M: A little more robust and aggressive than the smell would suggest. I found more piney hop flavor than citrus or floral. Medium body, hop bitterness comes through in the aftertaste the most and there's slight alcohol warmth on the back end. Taste and mouthfeel linger with a fullness, thickness on the palate.

D: Really drinkable considering the abv and hop profile. Let it warm up and it's terrific. With some DIPAs, even the really good ones, every sip is another round in a prize fight--a challenge, something you have to get up for, something that can knock you around. This is a smoother, very negotiable flavor experience.

3.76/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed on 8/7/09

A- Reddish color. Tall white head, not a tower though, this would spill over if poured to create an over the rim head. (Okay, poured to hard and had a spill over). Clear for the most part and plent of lacing.

S- Citrusy, lots of hop punch and some alcohol.

T- Comparable to ruinaton! Huge hopbomb, sweeter than Stone though. Maybe some honey and lots of grapefruit. Great malt presence (just the right amount). Slick mouthfeel and good carbonation.

D- High alcohol and potent flavors make this kind of a sipper.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Colour is a warm copper with very little head.

Delicious scent of sweet caramel & grapefruit. Alcohol not overpowering.

Perfect hoppy grapefruit blended with a sweet raisin malt. Outstanding!

Enough carbonation to keep all components in play for an above average taste.

Surprizingly this brew moved up to my top 3. Hercules will be a staple in my frig. It's what I love... a sweet hoppy bite blended perfectly.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance Comes down like a red amber/copper in my snifter. Giving a 1/2 finger of cap, leaving 1 finger lacings.

Smell Seriously, this brew’s aroma is like a raging bull running the streets of Pamplona. I’m about one foot away from my glass and already it’s like I’m drowning in the DIPA. It’s a complex story starring tobacco, smoke, orange rind, honey and lime all embedded in the subtlest aromatic hops.

Taste Boat loads of sugary sweetness, alcoholic and sticky but freakishly smooth. Contains cereals, nuts, oranges and pink grape fruits. In the background is an everlasting steady hops aroma lurking.

Mouthfeel Creamy and smooth liquid, prickling alcoholic presence and tickleishly carbonated.

Great Scott! This is bold and brave stuff. My preconceptions were… well I had none. I know this DIPA’s been around for several years but I like stumbling in the dark until I find light, or gold for that matter, which I did here. This is one heck of a DIPA. Now I’m really excited to sample the bottle of Grand Cru sitting on the shelf back home. Great Divide? Great Beer!

3.51/5  rDev -15%

Dennis: The aroma off this is misleading, almost barley wine like, certainly not dry hopped. But that doesn't really reflect the true body. Pouring thick, almost like apricot nectar, this delivers with a high bitterness that hides the 9% alcohol very well. By the end of the glass though, it will sneak up on you. Very well done, enjoyable and hoppy in substance, but not show. The only real issue I have with this is the amount of sediment in the bottle was excessive.
Jen: This is a bitter, hoppy beer with a mild malt backbone, only to end with a smack of hops in your face! I don't really taste the alcohol, translation: goes down fairly smoothly. It has a dry finish with a nice light carbonation. Definitely drinkable!

4.87/5  rDev +17.9%

All I can say is WOW! Picked up this Double IPA from Simmones Beverage in Lakewood Ohio as an individual bottle for $3.75. Poured from bottle into nice clean pint glass. Appearance was good with about 1/4 inch of head and smell was inviting. First sip was smooth and the head had a great feel and enhanced the mouthfell. I was suprised by how well they hide this 9.10 ABV. It drinks so good but your better not overdue it with this one. I know I could have. Cant wait to get back to Simmones to pick up a four pack. If you enjoy double/imperial IPAs then this is a must try.

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours to golden orange amber with a great head and plenty of lacing. Smells sweet and hopy with a hint of pine and alcohol. The taste is sweet up front with a nice hop presence to balance it out and just a bit of alcohol to taste. MMM good beer! Mouthfeel was creamy and light with good carbonation. Drinkability was great! I want another one but everyone was leaving the bar. Guess I have to wait till next time.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Amber gold with some floaties. Good retention and lacing.

S - Sweet roasted aroma, trail mix with a hint of citrus.

T&M - Malt upfront with a medium body. Finish is a herbal/citrus hop smack, then a bitter, roasted note.

D - at 10% it vanished rather hastily

Overall, a good beer, not my favorite DIPA, and not my favorite from Great Divide, but a good beer worth seeking out. Also, a great smelling brew, for some reason I can seem to get over that.

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

22 oz bomber. Deep reddish rust colored pour that screams "drink me!" with a generous copper head. Aroma of sweet citrus and hops. Taste of hops and grapefruit, sweet as most doubles are but really drinkable despite the hop explosion and higher ABV. Fantastic bitter finish, you can almost chew this beer.

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

There is little to be improved in this beer, I think. I have only found one that exemplifies the style better.

It pours a golden honey color with a foamy pillowy head that lasts all the way down the glass.

Nose: fruity, hoppy, sour, subtle.

Taste: This beer sizzles as soon as it hits the tongue and then smooths out. There is a strong citrus flavor, but then it finishes clean. The taste lingers on the tip of the tongue, and the flavor is well-rounded hops and very robust. It finishes with a noticeable warming.

This beer starts sweet and summary and ends dry, warm, and wintery. Recommended for year-round enjoyment.

2.78/5  rDev -32.7%

This beer is 100% about the hops and bitters.

From the label (which is the whole Arrogant Bastard brag thing done in a slightly more tasteful way) to the extreme aftertaste - the only thing here is intense hops. It's not even too hoppy for me; it's just that that is all there is. I question this.

What I do not question is the amazing way they packed 10% abv into this puppy, which tastes otherwise like a regular old IPA that you'd always pass up. So, I'm conflicted, but there are cheaper ways to buy mega boozy IPA's.

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

drinking this tonight head-to-head with Bear Republic Racer 5 and Lagunitas Hop Stoopid in my ongoing search for the perfect IPA.

poured from a bomber bottle into a stemless wine glass, it has a clear amber color and thin head.

I really prefer Imperial/double IPA's so I was excited to try this after hearing how great it is. At first taste, I was impressed, but when I sipped the other two beers and compared the flavors, this tastes more like a barleywine than an IPA. The aroma is fantastic, and the aftertaste is delightful, but the high alcohol content makes me want to sip it, not chug it.

I think I prefer Great Divide's Titan IPA to this, and I definitely find Racer 5 easier to drink...

I'll keep searching for the perfect IPA, this is a unique one, worth trying once, but I probably won't go out of my way to have it again.

3.71/5  rDev -10.2%

Drank on: 2/28/10
Bottled on: 2/2/10
10% ABV 85 IBU
22 oz. in pint glass

A= Big 1" head, very creamy looking and slightly off-white. Slowly receeding head leaves thick lace on the glass and lasting 1/4" head. Pure translucent copper color. Stream of tiny CO2 bubbles.

S= Nice light whif of sweetness hints at alcohol. Notes of carmel & toasted malts. Herbal, earthy hop notes with hints of spice.

T= Starts with malt flavors & a slight sweetness followed by herbal, piney hop flavors and bitterness. Med. warmth of alcohol hits while the bitterness chews on your tongue. Notes of toasted malts come through too.

MF= Thick heavy mouth coating, warm with slight quick tingle on tongue. Mouth coatin lasts along with dry bitter feeling.

D= First pint went down slow but with little trouble, second one was a quite a bit slower. Wish they sold this in 12 oz. bottles. I could definitely drink one but two would be out of the question.

A - Amber coloured. A light beige foam, so fine and persistent.

S - Resinous (pine) and herbaceous by hop. Also citric. There is also the smell of caramel malt.

T - The bitterness is huge!! So the hop remains a lot in the aftertaste!!

M - Dry with a medium body. Anyway the preponderance of bitter is balanced in part by malt and alcohool, so the effect is not of an unbalanced beer..

D - Although 10% it's a drinkable beer and the very high level of bitterness doesn't tire!!

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

The 22oz bomber poured a deep, hazy copper color. The smell pours out of the bottle. The scent is dominated with a citrusy and piney aroma from the massive amount of hops in this one. There is definitely a strong malt background, but is dominated by the flavors from the hops and alcohol. Its amazing how hoppy yet how balanced the flavor is. It is very intense yet clean. I'm thinking this is what is meant by "Double" IPA.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Notch marks at June and the number 1 whatever that means. 12 oz.
Tasting next to a DFH 90 Min.

Super malty compared to the DFH 90. Slightly darker brown-orange color. Add some roasted coffee beans to a sweet DIPA like the DFH 90 and you have the Hercules. Thicker mouthfeel. Slightly less drinkable for me. "Viscous" my friend says.

App - 4.5, Smell - 3.5, Taste - 4.0, Mouth - 4.5, Drink - 4.0

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

A - Amber-orange color - 1-inch head

S - Citrus, hops, little bit of alcohol

T - Bitter, orange, alcohol, not too complex, not too syrupy like some double IPAs

M - soft, good, medium bodied

D - easy and nice drinking except for a little alcohol burn

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

In a chalice. Very standard double IPA material. It doesn't disappoint from my other Great Divide experiences (most notably Titan). A friend says this smells like college, and part of that meaning the slight marijuana scent; I don't get as much of that as she does, but it's present. It's a very pretty specimen, a light frothy head lessening into scant foam lingering in the middle of the top of the beer and around the sides. The maltiness is very pronounced, but it balances out the hops well. I don't know what to say that hasn't been said!

I've had two bottles of this and one was fantastic and the other was dumped without finishing. The former was purchased at Coasters in Indian Harbor Beach, FL. The latter was purchased at what I thought was a good beer and wine store, however the date on it indicated that it was bottled almost 1.5 years ago and I guess that makes all the difference.

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Nice amber color a small amount of head that disappears quickly. Smells of hops, pine and citrus. Nice citrus flavor from the hops up front followed by a piney bitter taste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation. Drinkability, this is a tasty Double IPA that goes down easy.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

I found a 22oz bottle of Hercules at Cherry Hill Market in Grand Rapids. I had been on a real DIPA kick recently and thought I would give this a try because I really enjoyed the Yeti from Great Divide (also from a 22oz) when I had it a couple of months ago. I poured this brew into a pint glass.

A- A glowing dark amber/copper with a frothy, white head that quickly descends leaving behind traces at the top of my glass. A slightly thicker, darker look than most IIPAs I've had recently.

S- A citrus aroma trailed to the hole by piney, acidic hops. Slight traces of very floral alcohol in the backgroud. Quintessential DIPA smell.

T- Ahh! Each sip, large or small, starts kind of fruity/sweet but quickly turns resinous and hoppy. I expected an alcoholic aftertaste but was treated instead to a lovely bitter sensation.

MF- The hops and bitters are like a bomb going off and sort of dominate anything else. Granted, this is something I enjoy; so know that this beer is big in your mouth and will leave you with a prickly, bitter pine sensation mitigated by the citrus aroma.

D- It tasted so good that I wanted, against my better judgment, another one of these. Good thing I just had the 22oz. Look, it's a thick, alpha male type of IIPA which is great but not really something you want to too many of.

Overall, Hercules stacked up quite well against the likes of Hopslam, Double Trouble, Twin Sisters, Ruination and DFH 90. It was certainly thicker than any of them but in many ways it was also bolder. Of all of those DIPAs, the one it is most similar to is DFH 90 min. The description of Hopslam is a "bitter, tongue bruiser".... that would actually be a better description of Hercules which is not a particularly subtle DIPA; though whether you think it is the worse for it is debatable. I liked it a lot.

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - rich amber with a frothy finger width head that, at this very moment, is slowly disappating. The disappating head leaves a film on the sides of my beer goblet. 5 minutes or so after I first check the aroma, I am now detecting some caramel notes.

S - frighteningly PINE! I'm a malt head so I'm very scared right now. This is a clean, fragrant, and crisp pine aroma with something slightly floral or "planty" in the background. The best way to describe the "planty" aroma is like that "planty" smell you get from a good bag of doobage (sorry, but that's the best description I can offer).

T - WOW! hoppy with a rich and deep malty middle followed by a hoppy finish. THEN there is a subtle alcohol warming BUT this does not taste boozy in any way, shape, or form. AND I find myself savoring this hoppy flavor... I'm not sure. That malty middle is fantastic! There is a warmth about it. Okay, I know I need to say something that identifies the particular flavor notes I am gathering BUT this is, in my opinion, has a balance about it that I find amazing.

M - full bodied texture and just shy of neary chewy. carbonation seems just right - mild but apparent and quite noticeable (fine and tiny prickly bubbles on the tongue).

D - I started this beer less than 10 minutes ago and its almost gone. GREAT drinkability!

Okay, if you are to have this beer, let it warm a bit. This is an amazing beer. I will buy this again AND tell my friends about this. This beer is so good that I am a malt head (I think but this beer leaves me unsure now) AND I can easily label this as one of my "go to beers". This beer is "hot"!

3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

Bomber I got as a gift poured into a pint glass.

A: A nice copper colour with a beautiful, creamy white head.

S: Surprisingly mild smell. I expected a hop punch, but got hops and fruity esters in a pleasing, easy on the nose aroma.

T: A strong hop flavor that is well balanced with hints of nutty and sweet malts.

M: Very creamy, fullbodied brew.

O: This is a great big IPA, but goes down easier than some pales thanks to it's balance and creamy body. 85 IBU's has never been so smooth.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company