Hercules Double IPA | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Ratings: 4,157 |  Reviews: 1,583

3.91/5  rDev -5.3%

Served in an imperial pint glass at just over fridge temperature. Thanks to Ego for hooking a brother up.

Appearance- A truly amazing burnished orange brew, cascading fervently towards the top of my glass with no signs of stopping. Yes, the paper towels were out in seconds, with a soggy coaster beneath. My glass is now sticky. Outstanding. Ridiculous lacing... it completely drapes the inside without letting up. Damn, hot damn.

Smell- So strong is the hop aroma, it almost offends. This walks away with the most belligerent hop award ever, beating DFH 90 hands down. I actually detect the strength here in the nose... it makes my stomach quiver with fear and delight.

Taste- A surprisingly bold malt presence briefly counters the hop assault, even lending a nutty character to the mix. Burps are random and uncontrollable now, as I find a silly grin on my face and my toes going numb. As the beer opens up more, the hops completely obliterate the tongue from front to back... hell, I thought Ruination would show me who's boss, right now I'm mopping floors at the welfare depot. This is painful, yet necessary.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Slick, viscous, and appropriately carbonated. So huge in the mouth and belly that a bomber should most definitely be split with a friend or maybe three. For maximum enjoyment, save a bottle for a hophead gathering where the love can be shared. Holy crap, this beer will destroy your weak ass.

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%

Aroma starts out with notes of pine resin, but eventually opens up into a candied sugar sweet aroma with booze also present. Definitely malty.

Pours a nice orange, cloudy hue with a pretty fair head.

Taste starts out with an initial resiny bitterness that give into a very heavy maltiness that's characterized by a toffee, candied sugar taste along with a pretty high level of booze. Even for its ABV, it seems boozy and just "heavy" to me. This is a DIPA that slants more to the malts than anything, so it seems. There is a dry bitterness on the finish that helps it not become too cloying with its sweetness, but there's no mistake about this beer's character.

Decent DIPA but not my favorite, due to how much I can taste the alcohol and just how sweet it is. I suppose I prefer mine a little drier.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

3.99/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Pours a slightly hazy dark golden with big, lasting head. Lots of lacing.

S: The most delicious hops aromas that I've smelled to date are pouring from this brew. This is balanced nicely with a sweet candy/bubblegum aroma and hints of citrus and alcohol.

T: Initially, I thought "where's the hops", as I detected no hop flavor, just some maltiness. The hops explode in the finish with some astringency and some vegetal flavors. The taste is better than many beers, however, I felt let down after the great aromas.

M: Full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: There are so many great qualities in this beer, but the taste was a little disapointing. In the future, I'll probably try a different double IPA or stick with a regular IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +9%

355 ML poured into a tulip glass.

A-- Poured a brownish orange color. Looks like what iced tea looks like!! A half a finger head that is white and and fluffy. Swirl the glass and the head comes right back to half a finger. No real lacing at all on this.

S-- butterscotch, pine citrus, and a slight smell of alcohol in this. A little more on the malty side though. Very creamy smell and rich. Great nose.

T-- Grapefruit, pine, butterscotch, all jump right out after hitting my tongue. Full of flavor but was reserved to start. Then attacked.

M-- Full bodied and creamy but still left a dry feeling in the end. Not very carbonated. More malt forward than hop. Even thought it does finish very dry

D-- Excellent. Plain and simple. ABV is there but well hidden. That other characters are far more noticeable in this beer. The citrus, the butterscotch, the intensity of it make it wonderful and something you enjoy. Serve this warm, gets even better with warmth.
Still holds up very well for a beer that has gone from Denver to Sydney via Perth and where else it has been. Excellent stuff!

4.01/5  rDev -2.9%

A: copper-amber color; good head, but carbonation dissipates relatively quickly; glass nicely laces
S: bouquet abundant: it's a case of grapefruits right in your hand
T: "one big grapefruit" said Calvano, and with good reason. Very little aftertaste. Not much beyond the hops, but if that's not why you came in the first place, you'd better look for a different beer.
M: Silky! How the head disappeared so quickly I'll never know.
D: One will most likely want another immediately after drinking.

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Caramel/amber hazy with lots of suspended yeast. Two finger head sticks around for awhile before falling to a bubbly patchy cap that doesn't go away. Lacing is amazing.

S - Upfront butter from the malts backed by floral and citrus hops.

T - Malt sweetness dominates early on, but floral/leafy/piney hops mark the transition to bitterness. Starting mid palate, grapefuit peel begins the bitterness, going into earthy, woody, almost chocolately tones. Bitterness is high but balanced well. Aftertaste of sweet tobacco and dirt lingers for a couple of minutes. The high alcohol is hidden very well.

M - Just right considering the intensity of this brew. Moderate to high carbonation with a solid medium body. A little slick.

D - This is a great beer, but I can already feel the 9.1% even though I'm only halfway through the glass. The flavor is magnificent but I doubt I'd want to experience more than 12 oz of it at a time. Very good though.

Bomber poured into a nonic. Bottled August 05 2010.

Body is amber with some golden hues. Quarter inch of white head that retains quite well.

In the nose I get toffee, some barleywine like fruity esters. Not too much in the way of hops.

The tastes has toffee, a touch of tootsie rolls, and barleywine like fruity esters (figs/plumbs/raisins). The hops bring out some apricots, peaches and pine, but the malt here steals the show. Nutty and bitter finish lingers. Really strong and in your face brew.

The mouthfeel is full bodied and nicely carbonated. Bordering on barleywine thickness, but not quite.

So yeah, this is basically a hoppy barleywine. Don't try it expecting a true DIPA, because that's not what you are gonna get. It was pretty good though.

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: Honey coloration, thin head
Smell:: hops, grapefruit, rubbing alcohol
Taste: Tastes how it smells, Hops build to bitter aftertaste

4.5/5  rDev +9%

End of the work week, and a bomber of Hercules all to myself. This will be my first tasting of this renowned brew.

Poured it into a tall glass and watched the billowing head cascade over the amber beer - I've not met a poor-looking double IPA, and this doesn't disappoint.

Smelled like grapefruity hops on top of a cake-y underpinning, which comes as no surprise.

I'm really getting a lot of hop bitterness here, like grapefruit juice with the natural fruit sugars somehow extracted. If I was being snooty, I'd call it slightly unbalanced in favor of the hops, as the malts aren't really fighting their way through much as they do in a DFH 90 Min. A fleeting touch of malty sweetness to begin with, then a pure hop explosion, then a slight return of the sweetness in the aftertaste....almost becoming a little chocolatey, if that makes any sense, like a hop coated in thin chocolate. This is a hophead's DIPA, and there's nothing wrong with that. Alcohol? I really can't taste that 9+%, but I definitely feel it. I'm not even halfway through, and already feeling loopy.

Since I'm using 90 Min as my DIPA benchmark, I have to say that this feels a little thin and astringent/dry by comparison - I'm not feeling the same oily chewiness. However, this is a minor complaint that isn't detracting from my enjoyment of the beer.

Drinkability? Well, if you can take on more than one bomber of this, my hat's off to you. Drinkable, in an Imperial IPA sense. This is definitely one I'll turn to again to get my hop fix. I'm really impressed by Great Divide in general - looking forward to trying more of their beers.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company