Hercules Double IPA | Great Divide Brewing Company

Added by filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Ratings: 4,198 |  Reviews: 1,591
3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

3.14/5  rDev -23.8%

I played 18 holes of golf today, so I wanted to celebrate. Nothing beats celebrating with a BIG bottle of beer with a TON of booze. This beer is 10% ABV, and is just loaded with flavor. I have had it before, but it was a LONG time ago. Why am I using so many CAPITAL letters tonight? Who cares. I am ready to drink.

In the Glass: This is a healthy looking IPA. It is rich in copper color and produces a very thick head. The head is white, and sits on top for a LONG time. There I go again with the capital letters. I will stop. No more. Anyway, this looks like a good strong IPA. A double IPA perhaps! (It is fair for me to put IPA in all caps… that is the point!)

Nose: For a beer that has this much booze and is loaded with that many IBUs, I expected a more overwhelming nose. But it is weak. Their Titan IPA smells a lot better. But I am hoping the aroma starts to come out when this beer heats up. We pulled this from the fridge, so it is ice cold.

Flavor: The flavor is also not what I expected. As the tasting notes say, it is very well balanced. The flavor is never overwhelming and slides from the front of the palate and into the aftertaste without much focus on hops. I am surprised that this beer is just exploding with flavor… but maybe that is the point. They focused more on the overall enjoyment rather than making this a “knock your socks off” kind of beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is quite boring. There is a subtle hint of hops on the back of the palate, but is is quick and isn’t obvious. You can smell as you drink to get more of the citrus notes that you expect… but the flavor is just polished (it makes sense when you drink it) from the start to the finish. This is like a domestic for a fan of IPAs.

Aftertaste: There isn’t much of an aftertaste. It is smooth all the way through, and the aftertaste is pretty boring. Now, having said all that… the beer is good. It is solid. It is… you got it, polished. It doesn’t have to be a big punch of hops that knocks me over. I wanted that, but the beer is good. The booze isn’t obvious either.

I like Great Divide, and while I had higher exceptions, this one is still a good IPA from a great portfolio of beers.

Hercules Double IPA - The bottle says: “HERCULES DOUBLE IPA is not for the faint of heart. It is, however, fit for gods. HERCULES delivers a huge amount of hops from start to finish. Its hefty backbone of nutty, malty sweetness balances its aggressive hop profile. 85 IBUs.”

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

4.24/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

Look: Cloudy amber orange with a small-subdued white head.
Some suspended sediment seems to be present.

Smell: Large citrus and pine notes.

Taste: A bit of sweet malt upfront that momentarily turns
the citrus into something orange-like, but is eventually overrun by
full-on grapefruit pith and booze.

Feel: Full

Overall: An intense DIPA: A bit larger overall than my go to, DFH 90 minute,
both in terms of citrus and booze, but definitely a good brew. Believe it became
sweeter and gentlier as it warmed. In the end, feel that I'd need to sample
a couple more of these to adequately draw a bead on how it truly rates. Until then...

4.41/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.62/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: dark copper with orange highlights, minimal head and lacing and light-moderate carbonation

S: subtle, not overpowering.juicy. blood orange, faint pine forest and a faint sweetness

T: some oily hops, orange and a little bit of a nutty balance

M: some creaminess. balanced with light-moderate carbonation. most, not all, of the bitterness shows in the aftertaste. dry.

D: Pretty decent but didn't live up to what I was expecting. There are other DIPA's I'll visit b/4 this

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at Falling Rock in Denver.

The beer poured an amber golden with a minimal head that quickly faded. You could tell that this beer was so saturated with hop oils that it suppressed any chances of a big head.

The aroma was wonderfully pungent with a nose that was dominated by an explosive burst of resiny and citrusy hops.

The flavor of the beer was primarily that of citrusy hops (duh) with enough of a medium/light caramel maltiness to help round things out. As potent (and lovely) as the hops were, they were very smooth. The beer was well attenuated so it wasn't smackingly sweet like, which is were I feel that most double IPAs are susceptible to loosing points. The beer had a very "bright" taste and a nice spiciness that I prefer in IPAs and DIPAs. Many brewers out there bottle condition their DIPAs, but in my opinion, the yeast cake zaps much of the intended potency of the beer after a few months. When it comes to DIPAs, I'm in favor of enough time for flavors to meld, but not mellow.

The mouthfeel was medium and the carbonation seemed dialed in just right. The beer had a touch of vinous flavors, which helped give it its own character. Distinctive and rich, this beer is a classic. Now that it's available in 12oz. 4-packs, I'll try to grab it more often.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.51/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.12/5  rDev 0%

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Got a single bottle at Knightly Spirits. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Awesome, rich thick and foamy head that stays throughout the drinking. Red, golden brown beer with "floaties" in it.

S: Hops galore, tea leaves, citrus zest, and subtle notes of butterscotch and caramel. Very fragrant.

T: Bitter hops, floral goodies, tea, apples and more hops on the finish.

Drinkability: With an ABV of 9%, it's hard to classify this as a "session beer" but I'd say for someone who can handle it, it's very drinkable if you space them out.

Value: Worth every red cent.

Overall: This is one insane IPA for those who really wanna get hopped up.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

4.45/5  rDev +8%

I honestly can't remember where I got this bottle. I want to say Downtown Wine and Spirits but it's really hard to say. It's a 1 PT. 6 FL . OZ bottle.

Ummm... almost what I would expect from a double IPA, but not quite there. Taste is sweet and hoppy with a syrupy body, but still somehow just a tad below my expectations.

The head spilled all over my homework. That sucked, but it is of no fault of the brewers.

Quite smooth bit the only way I can articulate it is that it "fakes it". It tastes fine but at the same time doesnt impress me. I couldn't find it in myself to lower my review numbers though.

If you see it, pick it up, it's worth a try. I just can't guarantee you'll pick it up for a second time.

Poured out an amber/orange with a good head.
Aromas of pine/citrus.
Lots of hop in the flavor, not extremely balanced, the hops predominate from beginning to end. A little malt tries to sneak through somewhere in the middle, but the hop finish beats it down. A serious hop bomb.
Drinkability would be limited because of the alcohol content.
This would be mecca for the pure hop head. A little more malt to balance things out would be my preference.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

Opened 22 0z Bomber bottle. Poured into pint glass.

Pour is nice dark amber color. Head is 1", but slowly does down to a thin lacy layer. Somewhat hazy with bits of hops in suspension in brew.

Smell is nice and hoppy, Some citrus and a lottle bit of pineyness. Taste is very hoppy. Good bitterness makes the ale easily drinkable.

The finish is very nice. I wish I had bought another one of these as this is a very easy to drink and enjoyable brew.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company