Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hercules Double IPA | Great Divide Brewing Company

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Bottled served in a weizen glass pour fairly clear golden amber with a one finger off-white head with good retention and average lacing, fluffy. Smells chiefly of piney hops with a bit of grassy and grapefruit notes. Starts a bit sweet caramel and toffee malts but quickly become piney bitter and moderate amount of alcohol taste that isn't entirely pleasant with the weak malt background. Medium body, moderate carbonation, chewy. Average-low drink-ability considering the harsh character and booze taste, I was expecting to like this one more.

3.66/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally found a freshish bottle on shelves. Bottled Oct 09.

The beer comes out with a clear amber colored body and a off white head. Great retention and lacing.

The nose isn't much. Pine, citrus, and alcohol.

Big pop of bitterness. Super smooth. The mouth feel is the best thing about this beer. Too bad the alcohol presence is detectable even when fairly cold. Lots of piney hops here.

Glad I tried this so I know I will have more money for Yeti's instead.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Straight pour from 12oz pry-off bottle to a 25cl Duvel Single tulip; bottling date of November 7, 2012 printed in white ink in the bottom-right corner of the label in a small box (“BOTTLED ON: NOV 07 2012”). That makes this beer a day under four weeks old on the date of consumption.

Appearance (4.0): Close to two fingers of custard-colored foam rise off of the pour, which dies down slowly and leaves some thick lacing on the sides with some pretty good, evenly-distributed retention. The body is a satisfying deep amber color with ruby undertones—looks as rich as it smells.

Smell (3.5): Surprisingly boozy, there are some light citrus tones mixed with pine resin amidst a rather alcoholic grain character—smells like what I’d imagine a “blonde barleywine” would smell like, honestly. It’s not unpleasant, but it’s boozy for the style (not shocking at 10% ABV) and lighter on the kind of hop character I was hoping for.

Taste (3.5): Follows the nose, almost to a T. Much boozier than I was anticipating, and much more restrained in the hop department. Again, tastes barleywine-ish without the dark and stone fruit tones. A lot of toasted wheat bread with some caramel undertones; the toasted character melds well with some solid pine / resin bitterness, but I’m not getting a lot of the characteristic American hop flavors (tropical fruits, weed, etc.) I anticipated. More pine resin, in that department, which I do enjoy. But it’s countered heavily by that boozy, grainy malt body, which also has some stone fruit character (apricots, plums) but not the darkness you’d expect from a barleywine (rich breads, raisins, toffee, etc.).

Mouthfeel (4.0): Pretty good feel: boozy and slightly syrupy, but with enough hop oil to dry it out significantly toward the end. Modest carbonation expands the body moderately on the way down without tingling much, but it does have a spicy feel. Again, drinks more like a light barleywine, but for a DIPA at 10% ABV that sounds about right.

Overall (3.5): To be honest, I was hoping this would drizzle resin and pineapple juice on my face right before it ripped it off, but my face is still more or less intact. Thankfully, I guess. There’s JUST enough piny, resinous character in the hop profile for me, but honestly it’s just not what a DIPA should be, in my mind. Did I enjoy it? Definitely. Did I love it? No. Was it nice and malty with a strong hop character? Sure. But it was not quite to my taste, and not something I’d necessarily try again, as far as my tastes in DIPAs go.

4.37/5  rDev +6.1%

Was tricked into paying 6 bucks for a 10oz pour. On tap at "The Library" in the south side.

A - Very carbonated and the pour gave me a nice 1/4 inch of fluffy sticky head. Color is a clear amber brown.

S - Very malty with biscuit and caramel but I am getting a good deal of pine and citrus hops.

T - Taste starts off bitter but unbelievably smooth for 10%. No alcohol taste is always good and the bitter hops do mend with the caramel/vanilla like sweetness to balance with a citrus zest. Tasty.

M - Oily, slightly resinous but again remarkably smooth. Even after it warmed up a bit I got no ABV in the taste.

Overall this is pretty much the only way I could have enjoyed this beer since most bottles are 5 bucks and bombers being 10, and all are well over 6 months beyond brew date. It is quite a damn good DIPA so it was worth the coin.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company