Hercules Double IPA | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Ratings: 4,210 |  Reviews: 1,591
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a single at Save-On in Mentor a few days ago for $3.50 into my gold rimmed Ommegang goblet. “Bottled on April 11 1011” stamped on the lower right side of the label. This is almost 5 months old. I am sure it is not the best of circumstances but let’s see what we have here.

A Very light brown head over a golden orange body that has visible sediment floating about after I poured it. The head dissapeared within 60 seconds for this one (as compared to the recently reviewed Titan IPA) but I would expect that with the elevated 10% ABV. Really a good look. I enjoy the inclusion of the visible sediment. 4.5

S Sweet malt with some bitter hops and a warmth of alcohol. This is a really good smell within the style and it is not repeated by all DIPAs. The smell leaves me very interested in tasting this beer! 4.5

T Oh yes….I love a good DIPA that has plenty of sweet malt as a part of it! As the smell suggested, there is plenty of syrupy sweetness along with a strong hop presence and a nice, appropriate burn of alcohol. It is not to the level of my most favored DIPAs which are Southern Tier’s 2XIPA and Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster. I really enjoy the taste of this one, none the less, and it has held up for the almost 5 months since it was bottled! 4.0

M This is one big beer with a big mouthfeel from the syrupy sweetness to the bold bitterness and even that burn of alcohol that I already mentioned. A big, huge feel which is what I look for in this style. 4.5

D/O This is not particularly drinkable with all of its bigness and elevated ABV but I did enjoy it none the less. Overall it is a very good DIPA. 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Pours a translucent, deep amber in color with a thick, creamy, white head atop that dissipates to a thin layer of cream and leaves plenty of lacing as you drink. Carbonation levels look perfect.

S: Surprisingly lots of malt on the nose; caramel, brown sugar, some light fruits, maybe grape and apple, and an underlying earthiness not unlike fresh cut grass. Slight floral, pine and citrus hop presence.

T: Again, caramel and brown sugar malts, light fruits and fresh cut grass mixed with pine resin and a bit of citrus. Finishes crisp and dry with bitterness. A bit sour and acidic; even though the bitterness must be coming from the hops, I found it hard to detect prominent pine or citrus notes. The alcohol is definitely present, which might be contributing to some of the acidity.

M: Smooth with a medium body, ample carbonation and a bit of creaminess. There is a slight oily quality from the hops, but it remains quite thin. Goes down easy enough, but really sticks to the back of the tongue and lingers for a bit.

O: This is a quality brew, but I'm afraid it's not for me. The higher alcohol content mixed with the lingering bitterness just made this too acidic and unbalanced for my palate and it sit heavy in my stomach. Took me quite awhile to finish off the bottle and I don't think I'll be seeking this one out again. That said, I'm sure this will please hop enthusiasts seeking a higher ABV. As my introduction to this brewery I was a little disappointed, but I'm pretty sure it's due to the style since the craft seemed top notch. Cheers!

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark copper color with about a finger and a half of head that disappears fairly quickly. The smell is very hoppy with a little bit of fruitiness.The taste is similar to the smell with lots and lots of hops and some citrus flavor.

A great IPA overall.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Wow. This is a pretty darn good fit for me (tonight and most any night). Beautiful color and aroma. Lacing to die for. The taste is full bodied - lots of over the top hoppines. All this completely masks the alcohol.

I have another great divide to try in bottles, and I know I tried some of theirs when I was vacationing at Vail. Hercules willl be one to try again. Hopefully it is as good in a bottle as on tap.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

A- Pours a copper color with some more golden colored highlights. Head is thin and stays at about 1/8th of a finger, some lacing.
S- Smell initially was more malty than I expected but repeated wafts bring more and more hops. Slightly sweet but then piney and a bit of citrus hops. I am picking out more pine than citrus notes though.
T- There is enough malt backbone throughout to be sufficient with caramel notes poking through but pine hops are huge here. There is a bit of citrus again here but I would say that again thick piney flavors are the big winner.
M- SLick, almost oily on the tongue. Low carbonation adds to this heavy feeling but it sure makes the flavors linger.
O- A big beautiful IIPA. Definitely one that should be visited by any fans of the style.

2.91/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Bottle date of June 16, 2011.

A: Beautiful amber color. Aggressive pour leads to a slowly building coppery tinted white head that measures in about 1.5 fingers high. Lots of sticky lacing up and down the glass.

S: Malt-forward in the nose, not a ton of hops. This thing is only 2 months old and already it feels like it's lost freshness. The alcohol is present for certain.

T: Follows the nose directly. Malt-forward, poorly balanced and pretty hot. Really disappointing flavor.

M: Hop bitterness is here and finally this is like the IIPA that I like but it's too little, too late.

O: A solid disappointment but I'm chalking this one up to lack of freshness. I'll revisit with a bottle that's as fresh as possible.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

A - A beautiful rich amber with a nice white head and lace.

S - Alcohol comes through right away. There is also hints of toffee, caramel, and fruitiness.

T - Initially, toffee and caramel come through the most. Then, the alcohol comes in and transitions into a sweetness and fruitiness (apples). This beer also has a teal-like herbal flavor that is truly amazing. The finish is a great bitterness that coats the back of your throat for a few seconds.

M - Full bodied and medium carbonation.

O - This brew has a really nice flavor that does a great job of assimilating with the high alcohol content. I would definitely enjoy drinking several of these and would have no qualms about doing so.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

Bomber I got as a gift poured into a pint glass.

A: A nice copper colour with a beautiful, creamy white head.

S: Surprisingly mild smell. I expected a hop punch, but got hops and fruity esters in a pleasing, easy on the nose aroma.

T: A strong hop flavor that is well balanced with hints of nutty and sweet malts.

M: Very creamy, fullbodied brew.

O: This is a great big IPA, but goes down easier than some pales thanks to it's balance and creamy body. 85 IBU's has never been so smooth.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottled on date: June 16 2011

A - Pours a hazy copper color with a half inch of off white thick head. Head settles to a thin layer of bubbles after 5 minutes or so. Lace beautifully accompanies my glass as I consume.

S - Smells amazing. Intense resinous pine hops jump out along with a massive barrage of sweet caramel malt. There are some underlying citrus hop qualities, blending with the sweetness to offer my nose a nice treat. You can tell this isn't EXTREMELY fresh, but the aroma is pretty darn good. Alcohol is nowhere to be found.

T - Piney resinous and citrus hops attack my mouth and throw a bitter punch. The bitterness doesn't linger like it does in many DIPA's. It's a clean bitterness that does it's job and then leaves. I'm struggling for words now. The malt dominance I was expecting is nowhere in sight. Very hop forward at this point in the beer's life, which is right on for the style. Alcohol is now noted, but still well hidden for what it is.

M - Thick and syrupy feel when in the mouth. Prickly hop bitterness. Nice clean finish. Medium carbonation.

O - If you are just getting into DIPA's, it is one that you need to try. No more walking by the $13.99 4-pk of Hercules. Just buy it. Check the freshness date. If it's no more than 2 months old, I guarantee it's delicious.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours an orange copper with a little head that sticks around. Very floral aroma with pine scent overtones. Taste is a good balance of malt and hops with a dry bitterness that sticks around long after each sip. A pretty goo iipa that I would purchase again.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

A nice start with a hazy bronze color and big fluffy white head. Smells like piney hops and a bit of wood. Big round malt flavor followed by a hit of hops. Extremely well balanced. Long and intensely bitter finish. Very creamy texture and a lot of the hop hit comes in the finish rather than while you first drink it. Noticing quite a bit of orange in this brew.

I like it. Good balance not only between malt and hops, but among the different hops, too. Fantastic mouthfeel, as well.

3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

Been trying to find this beer fresh for a while. I found a 4 pack for 7 bucks bottled 5/17/11, so figured thats the best I'd get...

Poured into a Great Divide tulip

Appearance-Copper body with about a 2 finger thick light brown head. Dissipates fairly quickly leaving some sticky patches of lacing.

Smell-Subtle pine and floral notes, some light citrus. Lots of caramel malt.

Taste-Grass, Pine, Floral hops. A beer you would drink in the forest. Some light citrus. Finish is very bitter and drying. The bitterness really lingers on the tongue throughout the whole drink.

Mouthfeel-Carbonation was a little rough. Medium bodied.

Overall-Good beer, but theres so many good IIPAs out there that this one didn't stand out.

10 oz pour at Great Divide Tap Room

A- Dark amber look, white head about half an inch

S- Floral smell, with light malt notes

T- hoppy, but really smooth, intense hops for two seconds or so with a really nice finish; great aftertaste

M- Goes down quite smooth for an ipa, much less a double ipa

O- great for an intro to double ipa, much less intense then similar of its style; very enjoyable

Enjoyed at The Petrol Station in Houston, TX

Poured into a pint glass

A: pours an orangish brown with 1 finger of frothy white head that retains for a while. Nice lacing

S: a nice blend of hoppiness, resin and pine, with fruit mixed in, mostly mango/citrus. You can smell the sweetness of the malt, well mixed bouquet.

T: follows the nose, though the hops are stronger than expected, initially bitter and resiny, but the fruits and sweet malt follow at the end. very nice

M: a mix of bitter and sweet lingers, the beer is very smooth, but a bit grainy, though it was clear, go figure.

O: an enjoyable brew, one I have had many times in bottles and on tap and would seek out occasionally when on tap. Better on tap, would love to try it casked!

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: a clean golden color with a very thin head. Looks exactly like what an IPA should look like.

Smell: Hops come out right away. Not in a pungent way, clearly brewed in a very refined way such that the hops come at you in a very crisp way.

Taste: Fantastic. You can taste the hops in a very nice and integrated way. Unlike a beer like the New Belgium Ranger where the hops almost feel separate from the remainder of the beer, this one has a heavy bitter flavor but is smooth in the delivery. The malt flavor seemed to be more powerful the more I drank it but there is a good malty flavor. As well, slight burnt smell that adds to the flavor. Very good DIPA

Mouthfeel: good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, very refreshing.

Overall: To copy Jason, the flavor is fantastic and the alcohol comes at you from nowhere - doesn't taste like too much alcohol but you'll notice it soon. This is a great beer, one of the best ones I've ever had.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Serving: Bottle into an ale glass.

A: Pours a clear, copper color with the thinnest hint of head on it. A slight level of carbonation is visible, but not a lot.

S: Smells of sweet malts and some hints of piney hops. Sort of mellow on smells but then again, my nose might be jacked up tonight. May have to re-review.

T: Hops and malts come together at the same time. Neither one really shows up first and neither goes away first. Pretty bitter but offset by a huge malt presence. Alcohol is slightly noticeable, but doesn't offset the flavors too much. Good.

M: Feels thick and syrupy on the mouth. Bitterness really stays in the mouth for a while.

O: Not bad; I wish I could smell a little better tonight though. Will have to come back to this one when my nose clears up a little more.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

NICE! I have always wanted to try this offering from GDB, but for some reason or another, I never did. 10.99 for a four pack is pretty standard for this style (DIPA), sort of like DFH 90 minute.

Anyway, I digress...served from a 12 oz bottle, straight into a Cooperstown Brewing pint glass (odd, I know).

(A) Dark golden/copper color, pretty thin head, relatively clear. Nice overall first impression.

(S) Very nice mix of the usual suspects in an IPA...even a little hint of the alcohol that is waiting within.

(T) I like it! Grapefruit like start, resiny middle and a mild, alcohol induced burn at the end. Similar in some respects to the aforementioned 90 minute, but perhaps a bit more bitter?!? A DFH 90 rival?

(M) Decent mouthfeel, not stout like viscosity, but some nice body and a lingering aftertaste towards the back of my palate.

(O) As stated above, an excellent offering from GDB. I would rank this one right up there with some of the other excellent DIPA's I have had. What took so long!?!?!

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is full of tropical fruit. I get a lot of peaches and apricots with some orange notes also mixed in. There is also a little bit of bready malt in the aroma.

The flavor is also all about the hops. I get some nice bitter apricot and papaya notes as well as a little bit of pine. The bitterness is about medium and the beer is very easy to drink. The alcohol is noticeable.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Hercules Double IPA
10,0% Abv. 355ml bottle
Served lightly chilled in a tulip wine glass.

Massively hopped American IPA’s are fast becoming one of my favorite beer styles. I am hence expecting big things from this beer, especially since the bottle seems pretty fresh. Let’s hope it does not disappoint!

Appearance: Hercules pours a stunning (slightly cloudy) bright golden orange with a good sized off-white head that displays what I can only describe as perfect retention and lacing.

Smell: As I crack the cap I am immediately greeted by a massive hop aroma and am relieved that this beer is still fresh. Immediately the nose makes me think of local orange blossom honey. The rest of the aroma consists of tropical fruit (I detect pineapple and a large dose of citrus), caramel malt, slightly peppery note (almost reminded me of a Belgian tripel) and the expected blast of resiny pine.
If the flavour is this good I am going to very very happy.

Taste: First sip and I am immediately surprised how balanced this beer is, I was expecting bitterness and nothing else, however the bucket loads of caramel malt leads to a wonderfully balanced mixture of sweet and bitter. Initially the flavour is dominated by sweet caramel, orange blossom honey and citrus fruit, for an instant I was left wondering where the hops were. My ponderings came to an abrupt end however as the sweetness was suddenly engulfed by a massive wave of resiny pine and grapefruit pith bitterness. Wonderfully long hoppy finish – this is a beer I could drink all day!
Superb alcohol cover up, if it weren’t for the warming in my stomach I could quite easily have believed that this was a 6 % brew.

Mouthfeel: Mmmmm now this is what I expect from a Double IPA – Full body, slightly oily and perfect (medium level) smooth carbonation.

Overall: What can I say, other than Outstanding!
If you are a hop-head you will love this. However if you’re not used to big, hoppy beers then upon tasting there is a high likelihood that you will pull a dreadful face – similar to the one my mother just made!

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours out a syrupy caramel/brown hue – borderline looks like an amber. Thinnish half finger head of pure white briefly rests on top before fading completely away.

S: Pure pine pitch, this is a boiling vat of pine. There is a heavy malt backbone. A teetertotter of hops and malts.

T: Palette crushing bitterness but then followed so quickly by an overwhelming crème brulee sweetness. I would suggest that there is some pine, or grapefruit here. But, I really can’t tell.

M: Soda from a soda fountain where the syrup/soda water ratio is tweaked on the side of too much syrup.

O: In a double IPA I look for the flavors to be more intense throughout the spectrum, but not to be as overwhelming as a hydrogen bomb.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

Note: this was bottled in February.

Copper color with minimal head that fades quickly. Lots of sediment.

Grapefruit, orange, and floral hops dominate the nose. Alcohol creeps into the background

Short, bready caramel sweetness hit up front, but then quickly is killed. Sharp hop bitterness dominates from there. Slight warmth from the alcohol, but nowhere near overpowering. It is medium thickness, with fairly light carbonation.

I enjoyed this, but it seems I may have gotten it a bit late. It had an unusual amount of sediment at the bottom. Alcohol is incredibly well masked, and sneaks up on you. I definitely intend on trying this again.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

12oz bottle from a 4pk bottled on May 2nd 2011. Poured into weizen glass. (I'm gonna be feeling good after this, just finished my Indiana Krunkles)

A: Transparent copper color with very minimal head, just a little sudsy ring of tan foam around the edges.

S: Strong sweet toffee and a little roasted malt aroma backed by pine and citrus hops. All in all it smells pretty balanced, and rather sweet.

T: Bitter hop flavor up front with a further blast of strong hops and strong sweet candy like malts. It's honestly amazing me how easily this beer goes down for how strong it is, and packed with sooo much malt and hops. I've always been a fan of the hop heavy DIPA's but this one does not disappoint albeit it's balanced qualities.

M/O: Medium-full bodied, light-medium carbonation, sweet and mouth watering. This beer is loaded up so much I feel like I could chew on it and it would ooze juices like an overripe mango. Ah, I am pleasantly surprised by this beer, it is almost nothing like it's sibling "Titan IPA" but equally as high quality for the style. Speaking of style, I'd say this falls close to something like DFH 90, but then defecates all over it, because it's that much better. (Thanks for the birthday 4pack bert!)

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A nice amber colored beer that is served in a snifter with a small frothy head that dissipates quickly, often by the time I get it from the bartender.

The taste is a little malty/sweet right off the bat followed by a strong bitter taste of fresh piney and citrusy hops that lingers. The beer is only lightly carbonated and is very smooth.

At nearly 10% you might expect a strong alcohol flavor but I think it is well balanced by the hops and isn't readily apparent. I always get to the bottom of my glass wishing there was more in it, but knowing that I've drank more than a traditional beer's worth of alcohol

The smell of this beer is probably my favorite part. You get the aroma of the hops mixed with a mild sweetness and the combination I love.

A local bar with 40 taps and over 500 different beers usually has this one on tap and every time I go I try to get something new but I always end up getting one of these before I leave.

This is probably one of the beers that made me fall in love with Imperial IPA's so if you're a fan of the style definitely give it a try.

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Light copper colored, with a nice frothy head that slowly dissipates to the side.

S: Citrus, hops, and a faint caramel back. Smell is not as strong as others, but still good.

T: Much like the smell. The orange, pineapple, and hops are definitely present, but do not overpower the sweet caramel malt that is also present, and tend more to compliment the overall beer, than simply being the headliner. This is good stuff!

M: Smooth, medium to full body. Fits the beer perfectly.

O: One thing is for sure... the 10% is nowhere to be found here. Definitely one the most drinkable dipa I've ever had.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

This was a great brew. This brew poured a amber/caramel color. The hops are most definitely present. The taste is hoppy and lingers on the palate throught the whole drinking experience. I believe there are more than 85 IBU's in this brew.

The whole beer is packed with flavor. I let my wife try it and she even said wow about 15 seconds after she took a sip. The 10% alcohol is present but hidden so watch out.

Cheers