Hercules Double IPA | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Ratings: 4,206 |  Reviews: 1,591
4.16/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 22oz into my Zatec fluted glass. Gorgeous fluffy 3 fingers of white head. Decent retention and nice lacing. Nice full bodied amber color. Smells of sweet malt up front. Actually, that's all I smell. Malt. Tastes very earthy, not floral or citrusy really. Sorta sweet. Nice lingering bitter finish. The mouth is really nice and drying, bubbly and creamy. It's scary that this is 10%. Feels like 7. Kinda one dimensional flavor and nose-wise, but not a bad beer by any means.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

A - Pours a deep copper with one finger of an off-white head that lasts for a while. Good lacing.

S - Not too hoppy, only a hint. There's a fruity sweetness to it and it's heavy on the malt.

T - Very fruity, surprisingly so. Very much like a hoppier barleywine. Hops, then sweetness and tropical fruitiness followed by the malt and a lovely warmth from the alcohol.

M - Medium body and carbonation is weak. Smoooth as can be and very fulfilling. Eventually it dries out a bit, but it's just a wonder to drink.

D - Alcohol shows up only a little for such a high ABV. Flavors are quite intense, making the first sip almost... jarring, but from there is is simply delicious and a joy to drink.

EDIT - I have since had the opportunity to have this fresh on tap. It was even better. Hoppier and incredibly crisp. Perhaps I would bump up the taste score a bit, but I will instead stand by my initial review. If you can find it on tap and fresh, that is the way to enjoy this excellent beer.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Coppery with a thick pearly white head- extreme lacing, thick webbing throughout the entire glass.

Hops, leaves, Autumn. Cidery cirtus, fruity pineappleness with malty brownsuggary sweetness throughout.

A very, very smooth DIPA. F-me this is a 10.0% ABV! Nutty, malty and gloriously hoppy. The most pleasant balanced hop bitterness lingers throughout. You can taste this beer long after it has slid gracefully down your gullet.

This feels wonderful in the mouth. It's 10%, but you could drink a couple of those, yessir.

This is Victory Beer.

Bomber poured into a nonic. Bottled August 05 2010.

Body is amber with some golden hues. Quarter inch of white head that retains quite well.

In the nose I get toffee, some barleywine like fruity esters. Not too much in the way of hops.

The tastes has toffee, a touch of tootsie rolls, and barleywine like fruity esters (figs/plumbs/raisins). The hops bring out some apricots, peaches and pine, but the malt here steals the show. Nutty and bitter finish lingers. Really strong and in your face brew.

The mouthfeel is full bodied and nicely carbonated. Bordering on barleywine thickness, but not quite.

So yeah, this is basically a hoppy barleywine. Don't try it expecting a true DIPA, because that's not what you are gonna get. It was pretty good though.

2.91/5  rDev -29.4%

Chilled 12oz into a glass. Purchased from K&L in Redwood City. Great Divide just came to CA this month, so I bought the bottle expecting it to be fresh. I got home and realized it was bottled on Aug. 29, 2010 -- a couple of months old.

Not optimal, but it's the freshest I've had this beer. I got two bottles in a trade that were 8-9 months old; I bought a bottle online that was 3+ months old, and when I saw it on the shelves in Portland, the bottles were 3-4 months old. I think this beer simply doesn't exist fresh.

A: Pours a deep, cloudy amber color with 2 fingers of off-white head. Retention is moderate, but there is a collar on the drink and a light film on top of the brew when all is said and done. Some lacing as well.

S: Like a barleywine. Caramel, biscuit, peaches, grass, herbs, and pine. The hops are present, and they impart some pine notes.

T: A strong, rich, malty backbone. Caramel, biscuit, and peaches give it a very strongly sweet character with a light hint of bitterness. There's a small candied grapefruit flavor going on, with touches of grass, herb, and pine. I think fresh, this would be a monster of a beer. Right now it's just satisfactory. It reminds me of Drake's Denogginizer, but not as good. The finish is fairly clean, but it has a sweet aftertaste.

M: Medium-to-full bodied, but it carries medium-to-high carbonation that prevents the beer from becoming syrupy despite its sweetness. Well masked ABV as well.

D: I found it fairly decent, but as is my complaint with all DIPAs: if you can't match what I can get in this state, you're not going to get me to buy it again.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

1" off white head, clear red amber color.

Smells very nice. Lite sweet bready malts, mild hops, some sweet citrus notes.

Taste: Big hops, medium alcohol presense, mild malt and citrus sweetness...a very nice balance.

Medium body, smooth (malts), nice carbonation dances on tongue, nice hop bite and dryness.

IMO a winner! Great balance, 10% abv is very manageable, nice fade of hops and sweetness at the end. I'll be back!

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

On-tap at O'Brien's, San Diego.

Pours a slightly hazy amber-orange color with a light white head. Nice, mild grapefruit aroma. The flavor starts off with citrus and a bit of sweetness, and finishes with a bit more spice. Medium-bodied with mild carbonation. Hard to believe this is 10% ABV! It is very mild for a double IPA, but in a good way, as there's no harshness in either the bitterness or the sweetness. Not the most exciting DIPA, but definitely enjoyable.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Looks nice with a pumpkin/ruby color adorned with some creme` brulet on top.

Grasping little tinges of citrus and pine. Nothing too crazy, though. Little grassy and sweet smelling as well.

A long drag produces a sweety and tangy nuances that were going from bitter to mellow all while providing a heavy fruit note for a long finish.

Smooth and creamy. Same with the Yeti I had just spilled all over the rug right before this guy. Has a balanced high intensity double IPA weight that will assure dead taste buds for the next week.

Nice feel to it. Very warming and smooth for its strength. I like this beer a lot but think that the nose was a little to light for what it produces in your mouff.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

GD is finally available in California...though not a huge deal to me since when I visit family in Chicagoland I have it available to me there (though I honestly never have really picked it up).

Appearance - Pours a darker amber with about a finger and a half of head that dissipates at a moderate pace, leaving nice, chunky lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Sitting a foot away I can still smell the, in my opinion, heavy tropical fruit aroma. A closer smell reveals there is a heavy malt backbone, almost a sickly sweet candied aroma. This ever so slightly reminds me of the Oracle, and I can only pray it tastes something like it. I don't really smell hops too much so I am a bit worried this will be a messy malt bomb.

Taste - Interesting - a hell of a lot more bitter than the nose led me to believe it was going to be. Additionally, and somewhat sadly, the main flavors I get after the initial bitter hop/piney burst is an additional bitter citrus flavor, such as grapefruit. There is an ever so slight tropical fruit sensation, and not a huge malt backbone. The more I drink this and let it warm up, the more I think maybe another month or two of sitting in my refrigerator would make this taste a hint more like the Oracle. Perhaps I will try that experiment. Overall, it actually is not as bad as I thought it might be (I did not like GD's IPA...this is much better IMO).

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Relatively so. I honestly don't think I could drink more than one of these in a sitting, however, this is a pretty damn good DIPA if I say so myself. Pleasantly surprised. The only problem, and I state this often, is that they were selling this for $4.00 a single...and with a 160z of PtE going for less than $5.00...I would go for a PtE. BUT, this is a very different beer than PtE in the sense it is more tropical (I feel it becomes moreso as it warms up...yum). So that said, I would buy this again.

3.45/5  rDev -16.3%

Aroma starts out with notes of pine resin, but eventually opens up into a candied sugar sweet aroma with booze also present. Definitely malty.

Pours a nice orange, cloudy hue with a pretty fair head.

Taste starts out with an initial resiny bitterness that give into a very heavy maltiness that's characterized by a toffee, candied sugar taste along with a pretty high level of booze. Even for its ABV, it seems boozy and just "heavy" to me. This is a DIPA that slants more to the malts than anything, so it seems. There is a dry bitterness on the finish that helps it not become too cloying with its sweetness, but there's no mistake about this beer's character.

Decent DIPA but not my favorite, due to how much I can taste the alcohol and just how sweet it is. I suppose I prefer mine a little drier.

Served into a Flying Dog pint glass

A: Hazy amber with a 1 inch white frothy head with a small visible carbonation.

S: Malt, fruity (peach), bitter

T: sweet at first then a little bit citric, leaving a lingering bitter taste. Feels very crisp and full bodied, warm alcohol felling.

Overall a very delicious beer no doubts about it every great divide beer that I had it's very good so far, looking to try some more from this people...

3.61/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Consumed October 7th 2010 at Lucky Baldwin's, Pasadena.

Beer is a clear burnished copper color, very deep and rich color. Plenty of active carbonation. Head is thick, luxurious, cream colored and quite sticky. A winner in the glass.

Aromas are a bit wanting, however. Almost nothing but a faint whiff of pine.

At first sip, the flavor seems brutally skewed towards hops. Resiny, piny hops with a middling bitterness. After a few sips, the caramel flavor of the malt begins to peek through and provides some welcome balance. Traces of citrus in the hops as well, but hardly a major flavor component.

Mouthfeel is somewhat dry which does not quite cut the oily feeling left behind after each sip.

Overall, while this doesn't bring anything new to the DIPA table, it is utterly a joy to drink. And at 10% ABV, one must watch one's intake!

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured an amber brown color with yellow highlights that had a half finger og head and left good lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was a combination of grassy pine hops and caramel style malts along with bready and citrus notes. There was also some faint underlying booze notes to it. Upfront on the palate I did receive a little hop bite but the bitterness was helped out by some citrus grapefruit character and had grassy pine accents. The caramel malt was definitely there to help out on the balance and add a touch of sweetness. The brew was medium to full in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a piney,grassy hop, citric, and mild bitter finish. It drank quite well with the alcohol nicely hidden but I have to say the titan for me had a better hop punch and that's what I really look for in a DIPA.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Reddish/Orange with a brown hue as well. A very foamy head with good retention to it.

S: Pine hops and sugary sweet malts.

T: Lots of floral tastes followed by pine hops with a caramel/brown sugar sweetness. The caramel sweetness makes it unique for a double IPA

M: Nice carbonation feel. Pretty thin feel for a DIPA w/ this much sweetness/balanced of taste. Was expecting something more surupy but pleasantly surprised at the thinness.

D: I definitely don't taste the 10%abv. It has a really nice balanced taste. It has a distinctly different flavors than the Titan IPA which I appreciate from a brewery. Also the first DIPA I've had with the caramel taste in it.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

Got this brew on a whim at a local beer store. 12oz bottled on 03/24/10...

A: Penny copper color with a faint hint of ruby red. 1 and 1/2 inch white head that fades at a decent pace. Good.

S: I get a nice creamy maltiness upfront with some bitter hop quickly followed and blended well. I get very faint hints of alcohol and some caramel malt. Almost old ale like. Very good.

T: Super dry, bitter hop wall upfront followed by a boozy malty blend of flavor. I get a creamy sugar on the backend. This brew is good.

M: Full bodied with a nicely balanced carbonation feel. Very good.

D: This one is good once you get past the hop / booze character. Decent.

All in all, this is a very solid brew. I think I might make this one a regular staple of mine. Very unique and good for an IPA, not a standard DIPA. I definitely think you should give this one a try if you like a well balanced IPA.

3.55/5  rDev -13.8%

pours dark orange with a white head that sticks around for the ride. Smells syrupy with hints of the fruit section of a grocery store. Lots of fruits coming together. Tastes rather creamy with hints of spices it seems. Strong after bite. A very sticky beer. Liquid fine sand paper. Just sticks to everything. Way too damn boozy for a dipa. My second attempt at this beer and it is alright. Nothing to write home about but very good for a year round that would probably be more likely for me to purchase if I could not find something better or it was not almost fifteen a four pack.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

In a chalice. Very standard double IPA material. It doesn't disappoint from my other Great Divide experiences (most notably Titan). A friend says this smells like college, and part of that meaning the slight marijuana scent; I don't get as much of that as she does, but it's present. It's a very pretty specimen, a light frothy head lessening into scant foam lingering in the middle of the top of the beer and around the sides. The maltiness is very pronounced, but it balances out the hops well. I don't know what to say that hasn't been said!

3.45/5  rDev -16.3%

A very good double IPA. This beer doesn't mess around.

A- Beautiful clear copper, orange tint, white rim that stays on throughout.

S- Spicy pine and citrus, lots of hops.

T- Exactly what the smell suggests. Citrus comes through even more, though, and the pine stays solid throughout and really hits you on the back; bit of an alcohol taste on the way down (and there's nothing wrong with that!).

M- Strangely satisfying velvety feel, very substantial. If you could imagine squeezing one of those water filled tubes, the kind that shoot out of your hand, that's what the mouthfeel is like. Warming alcohol is nice.

D- Strong for an IIPA, but let's be honest, this isn't a hugely drinkable style in general. Really great to have, though, and it's a wonderful beer.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a thick one off white foam head. Ample lacing.

S: A decent amount of citrus hops scents with ample amounts of caramel and bready malt character.

T: A pretty balanced beer. There is a nice amount of hop bitterness on the front end. The bready/caramel malt balances the beer in the middle and on the back end.

M: Leaves a slightly bitter taste on the palate with a touch of alcohol.

D: A very nice DIPA. There is a good amount of hop in this beer, The alcohol showing up a little more makes me only want 1-2 in a sitting.

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

On-Tap at the Memphis Taproom in a cute little tulip glass on Sunday afternoon.

Hercules looks like a double IPA, a deep orange hue with some faint traces of well orange, it looks real pretty. A nice white head above as well, how about that!!! Faint traces of falling lace, not that sticky. Smells include your standard tropic fruits with some grapefruit, mango and papaya. Taste include a layer of hop resin oil with liquid grapefruit a enormous amount of malt, without the over sweetness sometimes accompanied by it. It seems well balanced but the tropics don't hit me as hard as the malt backing, it's a double I so take that for what it is worth. Feel is a big medium and oily, slick with a small sting of alcohol at the end that fits quite nice for this 10% beast. I would not drink this all day but would go for it on tap again. Worthy of the double title, this is big and it will lay you out son. It does not seem as big as it is, caution while drinking.

2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

Hercules Double IPA
Great Divide Brewing Company
Imperial IPA
10% ABV
12 oz bottle, bottled August 05, 2010 poured into a Bell's tulip on September 18, 2010.

Appearance 4.5/5
Clear, orange red, with an off white head and medium head retention. Some sticky lacing. Looks almost oily! The head and lacing were sub par but so was my pour so I am going to give it benefit of doubt.

Aroma 4/5
Nice hop aroma in the nose: tropical fruit, mango to be precise; grassy-piney as well. Some malty sweetness is present but it's hard to pinpoint it... perhaps caramel?

Taste 2/5
Fruity to begin. Malts and hops play well together towards that. That's the only good part of the taste. Some medium bitterness is the middle. Malts don't hold up until the end. For a DIPA, no hops in here, no malts either. Warming. Dry finish. The taste is average. The aftertaste is just bad.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Thin. Not cloying. The slight warming is welcome. Carbonation is medium.

Drinkability 3/5
Goes down easy but the body cannot support the alcohol and the aftertaste is just bad.

Disappointing, and I cannot blame it on the bottle because the aroma was good. Somehow this reminds me of an adjunct lager at the end.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Approximately a 9 month old bottle.

A- Orange-brown with medium high carbonation and most of the time, a solid large head. Little bits of yeast follow the cycle of the carbonation, and enhance the look a lot.

S- Hops and malts, a bit of citrus, some grapefruit and pine, a bit of spice, and caramel.

T- Malt's lead this beer, with noticably large amounts of hops in the background. It gave a caramel hop and citrus taste at first. Later on it began to leave a bit of a coffee flavor behind. A bit of alcohol hits you in this one, leaving a small mark on the aftertaste.

M- Medium body, a bit lacking on the carbonation. Very smooth though.

D- Fairly easy to down. A bit of the ABV is detectable which holds you back, but the bold flavor takes it out of the light. It's a solid drink, and I'd love to try it fresh.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Brilliantly clear copper color with an off-white head that retains excellently and leaves a nice sheet of lace

S- Loads of candy-coated, orange-flavored, hop nectar. There is some brown sugar and sweet potato making up the malt profile. Alcohol is cloudy and perfume-like.

T- The flavor is bitter in effect. Bitter in the start, bitter in the finish. Sort of mellow and sweet like caramel or butterscotch in the middle.

M- Thick and syrupy with a fizzy carbonation that bubbles around slowly

D- Intense, but recognizable enough to make it a quick sipper. Nothing beyond regular but really the best example of the regular.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

S: Hercules coming out of a bottle, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Dark and cloudy, thick orange, not much of a head.

S: Subtle for such a powerful brew, no hops come through on the nose, mostly citrus, some caramel sweetness.

T: Faintly hoppy, nice malts, dark citrus and orange, well-rounded, not too bitter.

M: Just rightly full, good carbonation. Some back-burn after sipping.

D: Drinks well for the style and ABV, but the strong alcohol does show up eventually. A sipper.

Hercules is one of my favorite DIPA's. In a bottle might feel a little harsh, much smoother on tap, which I prefer.

3.87/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottled March 17 2010. The beer pours a nice hazy copper with a decent tan head that thins to a film and leaves a small bit of lacing.

The aroma is sweet carmel with plenty of bitter pine hop aroma, really great. The flavor starts with some malt sweetness and then hits you with some strong hop flavor. The hops I taste are pine and grapefruit. The bitterness is stronger than the sweetness, but not quite unbalanced.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick, but the carbonation lightens it. Overall it's very nice and drinkable.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company