Hercules Double IPA | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Ratings: 4,198 |  Reviews: 1,591
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 1 pint 6 oz bottle into a snifter. Thanks for Great Divide for sending me this in a generous quality control make-up.
*10.0% ABV listed on bottle (as opposed to 9.10% listed here).

A- Clear and copper colored. Pours with ~2 fingers of creamy light tan head, which fades slowly to a thin cap, leaving a veritable sheet of lacing. Definitely borderline 5.

S- Big pine hoppiness, with only feint hints of sweet, malty notes.

T-Solid piney/slightly grapefruit hop flavors supply the bitterness. Very solid, fairly sweet malt pressence balances things out nicely. Excellent bitter finish.

M- Moderate carbonation. Medium full feel, and fairly creamy. Slight oily coating. Quite good.

D- Excellent. Fantastic flavor and feel, and very easy drinker for it's 10% ABV.

Future outlook: Got this sent to me as part of a mea culpa from GD for an infected product....and I definitely came out pleased. Very good DIPA that I will be happy to actually pay for next time.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I expected a great beer and it proved to be so much more than that.

A- Toasted oak-amber colored. Slightly cloudy but quite inviting.

S- Dominant malt smell, with a caramel overtone. Subtle hints of spicy hops.

T- Well balanced, maltier than most Imperial IPAs i've tried. Almost too malty when compared with others within its class, but beautifully constructed when considered on its own.

M- Heavy. Smooth.

D- Very drinkable considering its alcohol content and final gravity.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a rich copper color with a lasting one inch head. The nose is abound sweet fruit, hops, and a bit of citrus. While the mouthfeel is thick and enjoyable, there is something a bit amiss here. The hops are a bit subdued by the overpowering malt. All of the flavor sits on the front of this beer- its balanced flavor is completely lost on the finish and, especially for a DIPA, loses its effectiveness. With that said, it's definitely not a beer to avoid, but it may not live up to the expectations of an avid IPA enthusiast. Not regrettable, but there are better brews out there.

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

First review here so I'll try to do this baby justice:

Sight: Great golden overlay deep ambers, the head is thick and sustained. Very delicate lacing.

Nose: I'm talking grapefruit here. The hops are very seducing. Slight hints of deep woods.

Taste: SLAM! The taste is what sells this beer. It is out of this world good. Probably the best dIPA I have encountered (though am I by no means a veteran) You can taste the ABV IMO and it adds a great finish to the sip. The hops are out of control and I'm loving it.

Feel: Like the others said, the carbonation is perfect for this brew, apparent but not overwhelming. The brew is bordering on the "thick" side but it skirts it quite well.

All in All an excellent beer for the $$. I would buy it again except I bought the last one at my store

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

As I looked for double IPA champions to challenge on the shelves of New Beer, the mighty Hercules caught my eye. We'd had a brief skirmish at a festival, but as I sized the bomber up, I knew it was time for an epic battle.

My weapon of choice was my trusty oversized wine glass.

As I poured the beer to start our battle, I was awestruck by Hercules' beauty. This brew certainly looks the part of a champion amongst dIPAs. A lovely hazy golden body, with a sturdy, bubbly head that just won't quit.

The smell was an assault of delicious grapefruit hops, with some lighter floral notes. My anticipation continued to build.

With all the dilly-dallying over, it was time for beer to meet tastebuds in a life or death showdown. The sip delivered on the promise of those grapefruit and floral hops. Then, suddenly...Hercules relented. The delicious bitter onslaught was cut short by a malty sweetness.

I was disappointed. Some dIPAs have a malt balance which goes wonderfully with the citrus bitterness. I wouldn't call this beer balanced; rather, two clashing tastes come in waves. The bitterness seems cut off, almost cheated.

The mouthfeel, however, is tremendous. By far the most crisp, clean dIPA I've had. Must be that Colorado water that all of those states out there are fighting over. Perfect amount of carbonation, which helps the bitterness come back in the aftertaste.

So, what was the end product of this epic battle? Would I take on Hercules again? Undoubtedly I would. I've noted my issues with the balance, which stop this beer from being world-class. Still, all of this beer's peripherals are outstanding. It looks great, smells great, and is the most session-able dIPA I've had.

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

So BA says I can't review the same beer even 3 yrs later. Pishshaw. Had it on tap at my favorite beer bar and I think that different years yeild different flavors. Marked that I had it in a bottle but in all truthfulness I had it on tap... again
A- warm amber in color. light head with minimal lacing

S - grapefruit/ citrus hops very nice

T - soapy hops in the beginning, nice hoppy bitter bite with a dryness in the finish

M- right where it should be. nicely carbonated, Heavy enough on the tongue without being thick

D - didn't know the abv when I tried it and totally didn't detect the 10% abv. WAY drinkable... in fact I had a 2nd. no residuel sweetness from the abv level. dangerously good

2.71/5  rDev -34.2%

I had this beer on a rainy sunday afternoon today. It began hopefully when i poured the beer in a nice dutch beerglass.

A nice light cooper couloured head with a very nice colour of the beer.

The first sip of the beer made me uncomfortable. My first thought was that the beer was not OK. Tried a few more sips and then the beer gave more feeling in my mouth.

Only....i'm a bit dissapointed. The beer looks good but the tasts does not come along.

This beer gets a lot of high revieuws and i an wondering why. Better luck next time.

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

Eighty five IBU's it says on the label. It also says 10% ABV, not 9.1%. This ought to be good...

Poured into a tumbler it produces a 1 inch head that persists and leaves solid sheets on the glass. The appearance is golden amber and clear. The aroma is strong citrus hops. The taste is strongly bitter and mildly malty sweet. The feel is full bodied with a clean finish with moderate carbonation. A very enjoyable IPA, it's strong but not too rich.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A - hazed orangey/amber colored with a well retaining creamy head.

S - all citrus/piney and floral hops(probably from the "C" hops) some honey, caramel and generaly maltyness become more appearant as the beer warms a bit.

T - I love the balance achieved here. The malt backbone is strong and mighty, taasting of bread and even a bit-o-honey. The grapefruit and citrus flavored hops offer up a heavy hand of bitterness to kick things up a notch. the flavor drys out nicely in the finish leaveing the tongue wanting more of the lingering floral hoppy goodness.

MF - supreme feel, just the right amount of carbonation to keep this beer from being to heavy sticky or oily. it feels very slick and smooth going down with just the slightest amount of "stick"

D - dangerously drinkable @ it's high ABV. I am a sucker for a well balanced DIPA. I dig hop-bombs too but this one has the malt muscle to stand up to any hop-forward bullies.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

well i drank this from the bottle, i was sneaking them at the beach anyway it sucks that
i cant get this beer here in california my friend ships it to me from florida! the smell is incredible very earthy and syrupy! im sorry i cant say anything about the appearance but this was so tasty out of the bottle the mouthfeel was great you definely taste the alcohol and the tasty hops galore! lmao drinkability was so smooth honestly like 3 sips and it was gone and i was reaching for another! but very heavy four will do ya!

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Light copper in color with a fluffy off-white head. Beautiful lacing is left along the glass.

Passion fruit and pear hit the nose first with grapefruit and pine overpowering everything in the end.

Full bodied with a bready caramel note. Well rounded citrus and pine in the aftertaste. This was bottled in August so I hope it hasn't fallen off a bit. Feels like there are quite a bit of residual sugars left over and the alcohol is slightly warming.

Lots of pine in the after taste. A malty imperial ipa and more rounded out that I initially imagined.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

Pours a semi-hazy copper color with a lacy off white head. Earthy hop aromas and slight alcohol aromas rise out of the glass. Big bold body with moderate carbonation and is flavored with strong vinous qualities and a slight taste of the earthy hops. Mildly bitter and well balanced but strong and filled with alcohol presence. Finishes very dry and vinous and fades into a gentle warming.

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

From memory:

a) Deep red colour, slightly hazy. Two fingers of head which left good lacing.

s) Very strong smell of resiny hops. Slight caramel sweetness in the smell too.

t) Hugely powerful palate. Heaps of fruity, resiny, citrussy hops balanced out by a big old caramel malt kick. I love this in double ipas, it puts the bitterness in to a nice context against the sweet malts.

m) So smooth. Thick enough to be unctuous in the mouth but just carbonated enough to stop it from being cloying or syrupy.

d) for a beer of this strength, the drinkability is dangerously high.

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Amber body with a decent-sized head. Smell is of citrusy hops struggling against the nutty malt. Same with the taste. The malt is just a bit too prominent, and I don't think the nuttiness goes all that well with the hops. Honestly, this struck me as a poor man's 90 Minute. Not the worst DIPA I've ever had, but not even close to the best.

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

clear reddish/amber appearance with a nice fluffy white head very good lacing.

hoppy with a very caramel like malt aroma. not real complex but very nice.

flavor is the same with a nice bitter finish

mouthfeel is really nice. clean, very light carbonation slightly creamy.

very drinkable beer not heavy at all, and very easy for a 9% abv.

personally i really enjoy this beer, one of my favorites.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

This dipa pours a very dark cloudy orange that could look brown in some light, with a very light tan head. The head only rises about 1 one finger is mostly gone in 30 seconds with the exeption of a couple big bubbles. The lacing is thin and spotty.

The aroma is oustanding. Its very strong and complex. The biggest note right of the bat is sweet citrus bursting with notes of oranges and grapefruit. As I dig in deeper I come across a little hops.

The taste stays very true to the smell with a big hit of sweet oranges at the beginning then you are hit with a huge rewarding hop ending and you can taste all those 85 ibu's.

The beer is a little light but it coasts your mouth well and leaves a nice after taste.

For a 10% beer this is extermely drinkable and the ibu in no way get old.

This is an outstanding DIPA, that I will certainly drink more of in the future.

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

All I can say is WOW! Picked up this Double IPA from Simmones Beverage in Lakewood Ohio as an individual bottle for $3.75. Poured from bottle into nice clean pint glass. Appearance was good with about 1/4 inch of head and smell was inviting. First sip was smooth and the head had a great feel and enhanced the mouthfell. I was suprised by how well they hide this 9.10 ABV. It drinks so good but your better not overdue it with this one. I know I could have. Cant wait to get back to Simmones to pick up a four pack. If you enjoy double/imperial IPAs then this is a must try.

3.56/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Monstrous 3.5 finger fluffy head off the pour. Red/rusty tinged amber, clear and just plain juicy-looking. Great.

Pine needles and overbearing caramel malt in the smell. Not much sharpness to it. Get the feeling this is going to be a bit cloying.

Citrus-pine-aspirin hops at first, all quickly overwhelmed by the massive malt backbone. Unreconstructedly sweet without the promised bitterness to balance it out. Super-flavourful but unbalanced. Bit of alcohol heat in the finish. Bit of soap/vegetable as it warms. Glorious creamy mouthfeel.

I could have maybe one more. Over-the-top, but not in the way I was expecing. I've had an older bottle of this and didn't review it on account of it's age, but my impressions with this one are similar. Maybe it doesn't travel well? Overrated.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a hazy yellowish orange with a finger and a half of foamy white head with some nice lacing.

The smell is very hoppy with some citrus flavor such as tangerine and grapefruit.

The taste is huge with the hops just right out front like expected. A really heavy citrus flavor mixed with some tangerine, some slight lemon and grapefruit.

The feel of this beer is quite smooth. A really great double IPA with some nice flavor and and really great body. Is pretty crispy and wonderful to drink.

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

An absolutely excellent DIPA from the bewery I'd never heard of before that was not worth the money I paid for it.

A: This is the most impressive DIPA I've ever seen. Dark burnt orange glow with a humongous head and tons of lacing. The head boils down into a flotilla of head that stays with the beer until the finish.

S: Like a true DIPA, this beer filled the room with its aroma. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because it lacked the punch I expected.

T: This is similar to the unearthly IPA by Souther Tier, but it has less malt and is better balanced, in my opinion. Overall, it's just a smooth, well-tempered brew, but it doesn't have any highs to speak of. I was just expecting more of a punch from this brew, really. If you're going to claim you are producing a DIPA, it darn well better make sure I know.

M: The most exceptional mouthfeel I've ever had from a DIPA. Perfect in the mouth...you can swirl this and taste it for hours before swallowing.

D: Be careful. This is the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had, bar none. Slow down and take it easy.

Overall, this is an absolutely phenomenal brew, however, it does not justify its price of nearly $9 for a 22oz'er. Really, for $9, I was expecting a lot more hops, and this beer just didn't quite deliver in that area. Certainly, this is the smoothest DIPA I've ever had... none can compare in that department, but when I buy a DIPA, I expect it to be pushing the limits of what I can handle, flavor-wise, and this beer is barely stronger than some regular IPA's I've had. Again, this is one of the best DIPA's I've ever had from a general perspective, but the Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas is $5, and it behaved more like a DIPA than this brew did.

Consider spending your money elsewhere.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

Got this today as an extra from stawn. A 12 ounce bottle(yeah, a 10%ABV DIPA in a 12 ounce bottle and not a fucking bomber, imagine that). Bottled on Sept. 14, 2009. Poured into my standard shaker glass. The ale appears a clear pale amber color with about two fingers of off white foam. The head leaves a slight lace in its wake. Aromas and flavors are of sweet caramel malts, bitter resinous pine, a bit nutty, pineapple, white grapefruit juice, pith and oils, more caramel. Got a little alcohol heat going on, but this bottle is pretty fresh, so that's expected here. Rather smooth drinking with ample carbonation and a nearly full body. Thanks again Chris!

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

This was the first Great Divide brew that I tried. IPAs are my favorite style of beer and this particular one is really good. I bought a 4 pack for $16.13 (which seems quite a bit expensive) at a local store and poured on of the 12oz bottles in a pint glass. The dark amber brew left a soft creamy white head that slowly dissipated lacing every bit of the glass that it touched. Sticky hops overwhelm the smell. Behind the powerful hops is a citrus and bready scent. Once again, hops overwhelm the taste, however that is not a complaint. I notice some pine notes as well as a bit of alcohol in taste. Caramel malts are also very noticeable. The mouthfeel is creamy, sticky, and pretty think... I think a bit more so than other double IPAs I've had. I do really enjoy this beer, however when this costs over $16 and Harpoon Leviathan costs $10 so I am definitely going to go with the Leviathan next time. Absolutely give it a try if you have not had it yet, especially if you find it on tap; but I cannot say that it is worth that price tag.

3.71/5  rDev -10%

Poured form a 22oz bottle into a glass. Nice bright copper color, with a big head to boot. Laces well on the glass.

Nice citrus hop aroma not a big as big as I was expecting. Pick up the caramell malt as well.

A bit more malt to it than I was expecting. Hops are there and are nice a citrusy just not bangin like most of the dipa's I have been drinkin lately. The alcohol makes it self known very nicely.

Good mouthfeel to it not to syurp like that most dipa's have. Drank it down could grab another

4.45/5  rDev +8%

Bottled on June 11, 2009

This double IPA pours a bright coppery orange, very clear, with a huge truly Herculean off-white head on it, the massive foam is pocked with craters like an asteroid and as it recedes coats the side of the glass with thick slabs of honeycomb lacing.

The aroma is very nicely citrusy hoppy. Very bright with a thick sweetish caramel malt presence behind it.

The flavor is massive as one might expect from a double IPA but this one is equally balanced between a huge sweet bready malt with a bit of caramel, and a huge hop presence which is nearly equally divided between piney resin and orangey lemon citrus. The sweetness fills the mouth and is immediatley pared down by the hops leaving the finish nicely bitter and long. There is alcohol in there but it stays well hidden until the malts and hops have done their job leaving just a bit of burn in the back of the mouth.

The mouthfeel is full, thick and creamy with a finish that is silky, luxuriantly smooth. Did I say it was full thick and creamy? Lets add chewy in there too!

This is a very nicely balanced Double IPA, I applaud the hops used that focus on pine, orange and lemon while there is a complexity to the malt makeup that left me thinking of hints of chocolate, vanilla and a tad of butter. If I had another this beer would have piqued my curiosity enough to want another just to savor the various flavors again to see what I missed the first time. Highly recomended!

3.28/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a clear pint glass. Bottled on September 14, 2009. Single purchased for $2.99.

A-Poured a golden amber hue with a one and one half finger head with modest retention and lacing.

S-Too malty for a DIPA. Aroma is predominantly caramel and other sugary notes. Hops are faint and in the background. What's there is resinous and piney.

T-Taste improved as it warmed, but tasted more like a barleywine than a DIPA. When cold, the taste was awful. IMO, the best DIPAs drink well cold and as they warm, and they don't loose their style characteristics. Too malty for a DIPA

M-Very smooth and well balanced.

D-This went down easy enough, but I would not readily reach for another. Taste improves as it warms. 10% ABV was masked very well.

I didn't like this beer. I wanted to. Great Divide has been inconsistent for me. Many of the best reviews are many years old, so I wonder if this beer has declined. I bought this from a highly reputable beer store in Portland and it was bottled six weeks ago, so I don't think it was skunked, but it was disappointing.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company