Hercules Double IPA | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Ratings: 4,163 |  Reviews: 1,585

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: Honey coloration, thin head
Smell:: hops, grapefruit, rubbing alcohol
Taste: Tastes how it smells, Hops build to bitter aftertaste

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Caramel/amber hazy with lots of suspended yeast. Two finger head sticks around for awhile before falling to a bubbly patchy cap that doesn't go away. Lacing is amazing.

S - Upfront butter from the malts backed by floral and citrus hops.

T - Malt sweetness dominates early on, but floral/leafy/piney hops mark the transition to bitterness. Starting mid palate, grapefuit peel begins the bitterness, going into earthy, woody, almost chocolately tones. Bitterness is high but balanced well. Aftertaste of sweet tobacco and dirt lingers for a couple of minutes. The high alcohol is hidden very well.

M - Just right considering the intensity of this brew. Moderate to high carbonation with a solid medium body. A little slick.

D - This is a great beer, but I can already feel the 9.1% even though I'm only halfway through the glass. The flavor is magnificent but I doubt I'd want to experience more than 12 oz of it at a time. Very good though.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

End of the work week, and a bomber of Hercules all to myself. This will be my first tasting of this renowned brew.

Poured it into a tall glass and watched the billowing head cascade over the amber beer - I've not met a poor-looking double IPA, and this doesn't disappoint.

Smelled like grapefruity hops on top of a cake-y underpinning, which comes as no surprise.

I'm really getting a lot of hop bitterness here, like grapefruit juice with the natural fruit sugars somehow extracted. If I was being snooty, I'd call it slightly unbalanced in favor of the hops, as the malts aren't really fighting their way through much as they do in a DFH 90 Min. A fleeting touch of malty sweetness to begin with, then a pure hop explosion, then a slight return of the sweetness in the aftertaste....almost becoming a little chocolatey, if that makes any sense, like a hop coated in thin chocolate. This is a hophead's DIPA, and there's nothing wrong with that. Alcohol? I really can't taste that 9+%, but I definitely feel it. I'm not even halfway through, and already feeling loopy.

Since I'm using 90 Min as my DIPA benchmark, I have to say that this feels a little thin and astringent/dry by comparison - I'm not feeling the same oily chewiness. However, this is a minor complaint that isn't detracting from my enjoyment of the beer.

Drinkability? Well, if you can take on more than one bomber of this, my hat's off to you. Drinkable, in an Imperial IPA sense. This is definitely one I'll turn to again to get my hop fix. I'm really impressed by Great Divide in general - looking forward to trying more of their beers.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Tried this one on tap at the 08 ACBF in Boston and then picked up a bottle and let it age for a year, I'm glad I did. I always thought that Great Divide has some great beers and this one just proves my theory (which I'm sure not too many people would try to negate). Poured this one into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. It pours a nice golden/amber/orange color to it with a pale caramel colored head to it with much better than average lacing to it. It has a slight haze to it when held up to the light. The smell is pretty classic of a double IPA, lots of hops. This is a very tastey beer, a very strong hoppy taste, but not too strong, it's very good. Has more of a citrus hop to it, grapefruity. Nice mouthfeel to this brew, I mentioned the citrus hop, but there is some pine hop as well which leaves a slight dryness to the mouthfeel but the taste compensates quite nicely and all is well with this beer. I can't believe how drinkable this beer is. I thought the ABV was 8ish and thought it was drinkable for that, then when I saw it was 9, I was even more amazed! This is truly a great beer, I'm generally an IPA/DIPA fan in the summertime, but I could drink this all year long.

4.31/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a 22oz bottle into a Boulevard chalice (2 pours). Pours a murky orangey amber with a big head that left serious lacing down the entire glass. Aroma is sweet citrus, oranges and grapefruit, with a piney note that lingers. Taste is big on the hops. Nice. Lots of grapefruit and pine, with a bready flavor and a hint of sweetness. Mouthfeel is heavier then I expected with a positive effect on the beer. There is just a little carbonation and it finishes pretty dry. A great beer by a great brewery.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a reddish-brown-orange color, hazy with numerous small bubbles. Solid, two-finger thick light tan head that fades away slowly leaving generous lacing. Attractive looking beer. Nose evinces strong hops, a citrus bite, and a hint of alcohol. Taste is strong but balanced hops up front, a bit spicy and crisply bitter. Mild malt underpinning, a bit of alcohol toward the end. Bitter dry finish that lingers. Quite tasty. Mouth is viscous, solid, very smooth and slick. Drinkability is excellent: great flavor balance between bitter hops and moderately sweet malt, and a smooth, creamy mouth make this an easily enjoyable brew.

Overall: A damn fine example of the American IPA. Well hopped and delicious. Strongly recommended.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.48/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Opaque dark amber. Poured a super creamy 1 finger head. Awesome lacing.

S- Man, there's a lot going on: Orange, floral, toffee, fresh hop, bubble gum, grapefruit, and pine. Very unique.

T- Sweet citrus/caramel/hops up front, morphing into a super bitter, piney, spicy hop bomb. My poor palate just can't identify all the subtleties. Hops of all levels.

M- Thick side of medium. Oily, drying, coating.

O- This was a dynamite DIPA. To me, it fit right in with all the other sought after west coast IPAs out there. The aromas were heavenly, and the flavors were huge.

4.75/5  rDev +15%

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle bears a "bottled-on" date of April 11, 2011.

Hercules has a strong, resinous aroma, with healthy doses of yeast, alcohol, and malt, with hints of pine.

Intense in flavor, with alcohol, resin, yeast, malt and pine combining for a wallop of hop. The bitterness is cut by the malt, but is still quite prevalent with a dry finish.

Medium bodied, the resin from the hops gives this a sticky, almost tacky feel.

This was one of the first DIPA's I had when I began my craft beer quest, and was a favorite at that time. While exposure to other breweries has widened my interests beyond simple hop monsters, I will always have a soft spot for this brew. Still, in my opinion there are many better DIPA offerings out there that you should consider before buying a four-pack of this ale.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company