Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

Added by Crosling on 08-09-2004

#690
Liked:
4.26/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,600 |  Reviews: 1,676
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%

This is my first review on beer advocate, and I am glad to find an experienced and interesting group of like-minded craft beer lovers.

Poured into a dogfish head beer chalice, I let it sit for about 30 minutes. Appearance is dark brown, about 3 fingers of dark tan head- very exciting to see! On the nose, there is a crazy whiskey aroma- almost peaty. At first sip, there are caramel and brown sugar notes. There is a lot going on with this beer- very complex. Nice thickness as well, what you would expect from a great imperial stout.

Overall drinkability- while this is a big abv beer, it is surprisingly drinkable- the alcohol is very well masked.

I would buy this again for sure....very impressive.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%

The head is a deep caramel chocolate color that with good retention. The body is Black as Night no light gets through this beast. Smell is of Oak goodness, sweet chocolate, dark deep roasted barley, and coffee aromas. The taste is Oaky sweet with chocolate and caramel, creamy coffee overtones. Mouth feel is full and rich. Wow this is a complex beer with a lot flavors just bouncing around. Hops balance this beer is nicely, with over 9.5% ABV the alcohol is less notable than you would think it just slides through in the middle of the pull. You do get that hop finish at the back of your tongue. My overall impression of this beast is it's an incredibly big beer that tastes great if you are a fan of oak aged beers like me you will enjoy this beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sampled: 10.26.05

Appearance is black. Deep part of night black. And on the edges of the void are burgundy highlights. There’s foam upon pour and it will rise when the glass is swirled, but it fades fairly quick and leaves little to no lacing.

The aroma is complex. It’s rich and sweet up front, but the roasted woodiness of it follows up behind. There are caramel and graham crackers floating around in there as well. But deeper nasal investigation reveals creamy vanilla. Wonderful nose on this brew.

Complexity trailed from the nose straight into the flavor. Sweet and malty is your initiation, followed by apparent burnt chocolate. Barley flavors reside underneath the original flavor burst along with woody vanilla tones. The brew finishes with a very balanced bitterness. Sits light in the mouth for such a heavy hitter, and is mid to low carbed. The finish is quite dry. Very impressed.

It’s a brew made to savor, but it’s quite drinkable. The complex nature didn’t slow me as much as I’d thought, but I did take my time as I’m not sure when I’d get another bottle. I will definitely be getting another bottle, though.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Small dark brown head with specks of lacing on the sides. Very dark beer. Visibly viscous.

S - Molasses, chocolate, roasted pine nuts, freshly chopped oak and vanilla.

T - Oak, chocolate, dates, raisins and there might be a hint of diacetyl, but I think it is just more of the oak flavor. Aftertaste is a dark chocolate bitterness. The monsterous abv is wholly undetectable.

M - Thick, chewy, smooth and really refreshing. Saying this is chewy is an understatement - I practically had to bite mouthfuls of this out of the glass. Simply awesome.

D - Impressive. A big stout with tons of flavor, not of hint of cloyingness, and a great mouthfeel. Definitely a dessert beer though. A real winner from Great Divide. I will buy the non-oak aged version on my next big beer trip. Maybe then buy whichever I prefer to age. Fantastic beer.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

I have sampled this monster a few times but never drank a whole bottle so I decided to pick one up this weekend,pours as black as an oil slick no light showing thru when held up to the light with creamy-like rich mocha colored head thad never settles completely leaving thick sheets of lace behind as it gradually comes down.Oh the complexities in the aroma vanilla,obviously the oak with a very noticable herbal hop leaf elemant as well.Outstanding creamy mouthfeel like marshmellow in its creamy but light airy quality,just minajory of flavors dark roast coffee,unsweetened chocolat with hints of vanilla finishing oaky and earthy.A real gem to be had wich most of you already know out there,just beautiful.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Always love Great Divide. I think about 50% of my reviews are out of my Great Divide balloon glass. My first great brewery tour was at Great Divide. I have a soft spot for their beers, but it's not like I need one. They're damned good. I saw the Oak Aged Yeti at Central Market today on a failed quest to find Lagunitas Sucks and figured it would be a nice consolation prize. Poured into my Great Divide balloon glass from a big ol' bomber.

This thing pours black as night with a legitimately brown head. Dark, dark, dark. I can't complain.

This thing smells syrupy and bit. Chocolate at the forefront. Roastiness as a complement. I'm not good at picking up specific oakiness at times, but this seems to use the oak as a complement than as a driving flavor. Very nice.

The taste is pretty in line with the nose. The oakiness is a rounding factor and soothes the bite of the hops. Very well balanced between oak and hops. I know that was one of my complaints about the standard Yeti (too harsh), but this seems to have everything under control. It's thick and big, but the hops and oak cut through to make it complex and balanced. The chocolate is the main flavor, but there's somewhat of a Black Albert-like sweetness and finish to it. A very good beer that I'm definitely happy with.

Outstanding overall beer and a great improvement on the original. Another victory for Great Divide.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

After nearly 2 solid weeks of German and Belgian beers straight from the source, I need to welcome myself back to the US with something definitively American.

early 2008 vintage

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Duvel tulip completely black with a one-finger high milk chocolate head. It slowly drops to a full surface covering that holds strong. The lacing shows me the size of each of my sips with a marking of foam down the entire height of the glass.

SMELL: Exploding with aroma all over the place. The stout itself is way high on dark chocolate with an added bit of caramel. The wood-aging is quite evident with a burnt sugar/vanilla quality coming through nicely. It's all held up by an alcohol aroma that definitely contributes more than it detracts.

TASTE: Wow, this is all over the place. It starts tasting like a rich, luxurious, sweet stout with chocolate coming from everywhere. But then it realizes it's a version of Yeti and a hit from some piny hops comes with a slight alcohol burn. It finishes with the wood flavor with some vanilla and some more woody flavors I can't even describe.

MOUTHFEEL: Huge and full and milkshake thick. The carbonation is slightly down which seems perfect to me.

DRINKABILITY: It's a big beer and you can tell that there's a little bit of alcohol in this. All things considered though, a bomber seems like the correct serving size and I'll be enjoying it all afternoon.

I don't I need to tell you that this is a world-class beer all the way. I let this one go for nearly a year and it still could have gone longer I'm sure. So go pick a couple up and forget about them for awhile. You won't regret it.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a deep dense black with a solid two finger head that dissipates slowly leaving a solid cap and moderate lacing.

Nose of roasted malt and mocha.

Taste shows roasted malt, sweet molasses, coffee and a pleasant hop bite.

Very smooth and full in the mouth.

Very drinkable, still find Stone IRS best overall, and Storm King most drinkable.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to my friend Mike for picking up a bottle of this for me from Arizona.

A- Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter, Oak Aged Yeti pours motor oil-black with a nice brown head that settles to a thin layer over the beer. Each sip leaves an impressive display of lacing all over the inside of the glass.

S- Sweet notes of chocolate, black currants, vanilla, and oak barrel with lots of boozy heat in the background. The whisky character really comes through as the beers warms up.

T- Hershey's syrup and dark, unsweetened chocolate. The finish delivers a lasting, hoppy bitterness that's also accompanied by flavors of vanilla and oak barrel. The high alcohol content is hidden remarkably well.

M- The feel is full-bodied but thinner than I expected. Plus, the carbonation feels just a little too fizzy on the back of the tongue and throat.

D- This beer drinks incredibly easy given its 9.5% ABV and the strong oak-aged character. Everything works in harmony here. I loved every drop.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip (limited glassware).

5.0 A: Thick motor oil like black. Increadible dark brown head that refuses to back down and leaves good lacing.

4.5 S: Roasty, toasty and everything nice. Caramel, chocolate, molasses. Everything you'd expect from a dark ass beer like this one, though everything is really pronounced.

4.5 T: Oak comes through finally. Bittersweet chocolate, toasty roasty malts. This is almost like ST Choklat only much much less cloying. Might be the best RIS I've had. Bit of an alcoholic tinge at the finish.

4.0 M: Good carbonation and good overall, but could be creamier.

4.5 D: I split this bomber with a friend. In the future, I'll keep it all for myself.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Decided to pick this up tonight, seeing as it's pretty chilly out. I figured a nice stout by the fire would suit the moment.

Bottling date is November 27th, 2009.

Poured out pitch black, which doesn't emit any light through, even when backlit. On top sits a very dark kahki head, which stays around for quite a while. Leaves some remarkable lacing down the side of the glass.

Poured from the Bomber into my clean pint glass. Immediately, the aroma from this beer begins to take over, I'm about a couple feet away from the glass and I can already smell it. Very woodsy, raw vanilla, the hops shine through and i can notice a hint of booze...at 9.5% I would expect so.

Taste - I'm an IPA man myself so, this is only my 2nd venture into the world of stouts. First what hits is the hoppy bitterness, which I love with IPA's, mainly because they're citrus and piney, but this one is straight bitter. Not bad, but not sure if my palate likes it when combined with the chocolate and coffee that come after it. I really like the chocolate and coffee flavors that arrive, with a hint of vanilla. Very nice and pleasant. Makes me think I should have gotten the chocolate oak aged yeti instead, since the label described the hops as being toned down. I'm impressed that it's still this hoppy for being a year old. The more it warms, i've noticed it's a weebit boozy as well, but that can hardly be helped.

Mouthfeel - chewy, thick, full bodied stout. It lets you know it's there and stays around for a while.

Drinkability - We'll see if I'm able to finish this bomber tonight. I have a feeling i'll have to save the other half for the next chilly winter night!

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pitch black, viscous body. Chocolate brown head that dissipates slowly.

S: Oak, chocolate, caramel, coffee with hints of vanilla. Very nice nose.

T: Just lik the nose implies, lots of oak and chocolate withe coffee, caramel and vanilla playing in the back ground. Malty sweetness and a toffee under tone are followed by a slightly hoppy bitter finish at the swallow. Very different for an Imperial Stout. Both carbonation and alcohol taste are mild especially when considering how big this beer is.

M: Rich, creamy, full bodied and thick.

O: If you like big beers with allot of complex flavors going on you will love this beer. I for one like it because it is a unique Imperial Stout because of the combination of the oak flavor and the slightly bitter finish. Because the alcohol is well hidden behind the big flavors enjoy this one with care. Its 9.5% ABV will sneak up on you. ENJOY!!!

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearence is extremely dark, possibly the darkest I've had. Beautiful two-finger espresso colored head that lasts throughout. Around the edge of the head is a darker, orange colored ring. Leaves behind a very nice lacing all throughout the glass.

Smells amazing...vanilla right off the bat, dark chocolate, raisin, just a slight hint of other fruits..pear or plum possibly? Oak and lots of hops.

Taste is very complex, begins with some bitterness from the hops but it quickly dissipates and brings about the vanilla and oak, then coffee, and finishes with some hoppy tones.

Mouthfeel is thick and warm, full of flavor and very pleasant.

I would drink this beer very often if it were easier to find in Columbus, the abv seemed even higher than 9.5 although it wasn't apparent in the flavor. This beer is one damn fine example of why I usually prefer Imperial Stouts over Porters...Excellent.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Deep black, dark brown head. Lots of chocolate upfront. I got a lot of cherry. Woody grain, like fresh wood from Home Depot...I dunno. I enjoyed it, but I prefer the Chocolate.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Enjoyed in a pint glass on two occasions
A: Aggressive and moderate pours yield one finger of dark tan head with great retention. Has a black hole-ish quality - light cannot escape it!
S: Alcohol, chocolate, something else I can't place...Hops! That's it. Citrus, mango, dark fruit, pine, floral, perfume, nutmeg.
T: Chocolate satin - Devil's food cake, some vanilla, cocoa powder, maybe charcoal. Strong bitter chocolate flavor. 75 IBUs? Not apparent at all. I guess they must be balancing the sweetness. Fabulous.
M: Some prickliness from bitterness (there it is). Very nice though, finishes more bitter with some heat.
D: Wow, this beer just makes me wanna savor it and the dessert I'm having it with (coconut milk flan in a pecan flour tart shell, with strawberries and a chocolate truffle). I had it with dinner the second time, and it was not as good as when I had it with dessert. This beer is so tasty, but big in alcohol (minus points for that).

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Jet black in color. No light gets through at all. A large foamy brown head forms and leaves behind tons of lace. This beer looks intimidating.
S: Mouth watering smoky roasted malt. Lots of chocolate, vanilla, and dark fruits. Also that distinct Great Divide hop aroma is present.
T: Smoky and woody malt. Very robust with some bitter dark chocolate with lots of vanilla and dark fruits again. Plenty of hops as well. This beer is balanced perfectly.
M/D: Thick, chewy, creamy, and rich. This feels great in the mouth. The alcohol shows a bit and takes away from the drinkability. Though, I could sip on this all night.

Such a wonderfully complex beer. The oak works well here, and I think it is heads a shoulders above the regular Yeti Stout (and that is saying something).

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company