Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

Added by Crosling on 08-09-2004

Reviews: 1,652 | Ratings: 4,498
4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Wow, this is the best beer I've ever had, I can't wait to get it again. Pours an obsidian black, with a light brown head that rises to the top. First smell is of vanilla, no doubt from the oaking. The theres a nice roasty smell, with some hops behind it. Man this tastes good, oaky with vanilla notes, bitter roast coffee, some hops. The aftertaste was indescribable, exactly like the aftertaste of a very fine oaked chardonnay, just amazing. The mouthfeel was nice and thick, perfect consistency, not overly thick and just right, very smooth and tasty. This isn't an everyday beer and I don't think I'd try to drink a whole bomber by myself but this is definately a beer to get for special occasions. Beer I recommend most.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll admit that regular Yeti is among my favorite beers.

Pours out the same inky black with a big, bubbly tan head that slowly fades and leaves a lot of lace and a rocky, craggy rim of head on the dark body. Nice-looking, to be sure.

Smell is roasted barley, chocolate, a little whiff of vanilla, bourbon, and a slightly vinous character.

Flavor is just stupendous; I've been spoiling myself with great stouts lately, and this is right up there with any of them. The same deep roasted flavor and powdered chocolate notes that make the regular Yeti so great are intact here, but there's also a nice vanilla/oak character that imparts the brew with slight hints of a bourbon flavor.

Mouthfeel is ultra-thick and creamy, and while it might not have a milkshake-like quality, it's getting close.

Overall: Quite a brew, and one that I'm going to buy again and again. A tad more complex and mellowed than the regular Yeti, this one truly benefits from the barrel aging. Top-notch.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter.

A - Pours nearly pitch-black with a creamy brown head that lingers for a loooong time. Moderate lacing.

S - Spicy wood notes come through the strongest, with some coffee and piney hops lingering in the background.

T - Sweet Zeus almighty!!! Sweet up front with lots of dark chocolate and vanilla flavors. Hop bitterness and woody spice come through in the finish, getting stronger as it warms.

M - Full-bodied, and quite rich. Some spicy wood notes linger on the palate as if to dare you to take another sip.

D - Wickedly smooth and thoroughly enjoyable. I could drink this all night if not for the 9.5% abv. Definitely one of the best RIS's I've ever had.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

This bottle is almost 6 months old - Bottled on Oct 7, 2010.

Poured black, with 3 finger mocha colored head, that settled into to being rocky like pumice.

Aroma, smells like Yeti! - with just a very very light oak to it, and maybe some vanilla with chocolate.

Taste - sweet, roasty malt, bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, and again just a slight oak to it, but just enough to smooth this big boy out, wonderful, I thank Great Divide for holding back on the oak a bit. To me this kicks regular Yetis butt, just because it tastes like yeti, but not as harsh. If I didn't already know it, I would never believe that this bad boy is almost 10% - no way.

M=perfect carbonation, a nice full medium, that is lip smacking sticky goodness. For a stout with this high of an abv - the drinkability is off the charts!

O= all I can say is wow! This is tremendous, I think I may have found my favorite Imperial Stout, that I have easy access too.

Vintage 09

A: Exceptional. Charcoal black body. On top is a huge dark brown head. Frothy, dense, I want to put a cherry on top. Sheets of blotchy lacing surround the glass.

S: Bittersweet chocolate met by the earthy, woody, oak scents, combining for something special. Coffee and vanilla in the background.

T: Big roasty notes of malt up front. Dark chocolate, bitter (hops holding up for 2 years?), but a sweet malt taste going on. Coffee comes and goes. And, oh, the oak. It's not overpowering, but just complements the beer so well. A great woody aftertaste that sticks around with the chocolate.

M: Creamy and chewy, almost Three-Mustakeers-like. Practically perfect carbonation.

O/D: Absolutely delicious. I keep going back to buy this. I might have to grab some more before GD officially leaves RI.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Considering the awesome price of this bomber, there may not be a better stout for the money out there. This was unbelievable....

Glugs out a used motor oil black with a 2 inch brown head. Really good looking beer here....

Aroma is chocolate, coffee, chocolate, oak, chocolate, alcohol....Man, I love the way this is smelling.

Tastes even better than it smells. Loads of dark chocolate, with hints of vanilla, something earthy (the oak?), and strong coffee.

One of my new favorite Imperials here. This is simply incredible... Loved everything about it.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Obliterative black. The massive head is dark caramel in color and is one of the darkest that I've ever seen on a stout. It's as thick and as creamy as anyone could possibly wish for and is beginning to lay down a stunning array of thick, buckshot-riddled lace. Hey, I know where I've seen this look before... on non-Oak Aged Yeti. Both are outstanding in the appearance department and have few peers in this, or any other, style.

It may be the power of suggestion, but I swear I can smell vanilla bean in amongst the darkly menacing aromas that are emanating from the glass. The nose is heavy on bittersweet chocolate and light on espresso (if it can be said to be light on anything) with a wonderously citric, evergreen hoppiness keeping pace with all the malt. It's difficult to imagine a more assertive, yet still complex, aroma.

Great googly mooglies! This is fantastic beer and is easily as good as the un-oaked Yeti, maybe even better. It's monolithically malty with all sorts of dark, fudge-like flavors bathing the tongue with each mouthful. Chocolate still reigns with bitter coffee grounds having their say as well. The malt tastes like it was roasted in the fires of Hell itself.

I've had this bomber for at least six months, possibly longer, and it's scary how hoppy this beast still is. When fresh, it may have given Three Floyds Alpha Klaus and Bear Republic Big Bear Black a run for their money as the most hoppy stout/porter that I've ever had. There's so much spruciness that I feel like I need to pick the needles out of my teeth after each sip.

The thing that I love most about the big beer from this brewery is the sheer amount of bud busting flavor that it brings to bear. It sometimes has an 'everything but the kitchen sink' vibe, but in most cases, it works beautifully for those of us who crave dizzying amounts of flavor.

I'd have to drink them side by side (now there would be a night to remember!), but I'm fairly certain that this version is even more complex than the standard Yeti because the oak aging actually mananages to impart noticeable oaky and vanilla notes. Even though a bit of an alcohol sting is noted, this is one of the most perfectly masked 9.5% beers that I've ever had. What good would a toothless Yeti be anyway?

I'm not sure that I can do the body/mouthfeel justice. There's nothing about this beer that should result in a bigger, creamier mouthfeel than in the non-oaked version, but for some reason, I didn't give that beer a perfect score and I'm doing so here. I can't imagine a more heavily creamy, nougat chewy, melted chocolate silky mouthfeel than the one that graces my mouth with each upending of the glass. If that isn't perfection, then I don't know what is.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is unbelievably good. If the Iowa ABV cap is ever popped, this is one of the beers that I'll horde like a greedy chipmunk. If you love larger than life stouts, oak-aged stouts or mouth parties in general, do whatever is necessary to lay your hands on the single best beer produced by one of America's best breweries.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Pour: As black and dark as they come with a brown head that holds well
Smell: Roasted coffee & malts with a slight hint of chocolate
Taste: Immediate taste of strong coffee, malt and slight chocolate. Just the right amount of hops in this one to help it finish strong. A great smoooth stout.
One of the best Stouts I have ever had Highly recommend

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

A - Whoa. Pours a ridiculous dark dark... well dark. I assume brown. Thick brown head bubbles up, then stops for good. Lacing is amazing, and topping up my glass, the new liquid literally punches a hole through the foam.

S - Sweet and rich smelling. Dark fruit, a solid whiff of alcohol and a chocolatey, molassesy aroma. Some herbal hops and woodiness round out the nose.

T/M - Again very sweet, with lots of dark sugar and fruit. Extremely creamy heavy body. Slightly vinous, with an astringent touch. Lots of dark fruit including cherries and raisins, tons of toasted character including espresso and cocoa, and a floral and herbal tone. Solid bitterness cleans up the palate well.

D - Very drinkable for such a big beer. Overall impression is one of "bigness" all around. Tons of flavour, asskicking body, and a head to die for. I might even say sessionable if it were a touch less sweet. At 9.5%, this is probably a good thing.

All around excellent beer, but... the head is absolutely amazing. Every beer I review after this one is gonna get a much rougher ride in the "appearance" category.

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Dense black with a substantial yeti-hair colored head.

The aroma is alcoholic, woodsy, chocolate, coffee and roast malt. There is some vauge hint of sweet-sour fruit that I read as yeast.

The flavor is deep, mellow, layerd with everything in the nose. The bitterness and sweetness seem nearly perfectly balanced. There is an oatsy coffee flavor that adds dryness so the cocoa is not overpowering.

The mouthfeel is substantial but seems as if it should be a bit thicker; the carbonation adds a layer of density It is very drinkable even with the high alcohol.

This is by far one of the best Imperial Stouts I've had to date; I feel fortunate to have gotten it on tap.

4.76/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Dated April 2013 poured into a tall pint glass

A: Dark. Zero visibility through any of it. 1.5 fingers of dark brown head.

S: Chocolate, booze, roasted grains. Really nice bouquet of aroma.

Taste: Just really really great. Starts off so smooth and chocolately with just a little bit of roasted grain bite. Follows up nice and smooth again with more roasted grain and the oakiness of the barrel. Ends with oak a whiskey flavors to balance out the sweetness of the chocolate.

M: Smooth smooth smooth. Thats really all there is to it. Nice and thick and smooth. Like velvet on your tongue.

O: Just as good as advertised. An amazing beer shared with amazing friends. The complexity of all the flavors is incredible. Very fun beer to drink. Tastes amazing right down the the last sip. I'll be looking for this whenever it's available.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: one inch light chocolate head, dark brown in color

Smell: toated malt, oak, and chocolate

Taste: dark chocolate, toasted malt, oak, and awhiskey taste with cream

Mouthfeel: heavy, smooth, semi-sweet, chewy

Drinkability: I love the big oak taste. This has one of the biggest and best barrel tastes I have had in a beer. I could drink this all day if not for the high ABV. This still maintains alot of the sweetness I love with the style. I would love to try this on tap and think this competes with Pozharnik for the best I have had in this style.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Poured into a pint glass--thick and black with a dirty brown head. Aroma of chocolate, hops and roasted malt. Amazing burst of flavors--chocolate, vanilla, hops, brandy, an overall oakiness, dark chocolate bittersweetness and a spicy hops finish. This beer is full bodied and gently carbonated making it very easy to quaff despite the alcohol content.

In a perfect world this would be as ubiquitous as Guinness, and I'd be enjoying it regularly. And the San Jose Sharks would be able to get past the second round of the playoffs once in a while.

But alas...

4.75/5  rDev +12%

A - Black as night, letting no light pass through. Medium brown head, very fluffy with large bubbles. Lacing is strong.

S - Sweet chocolate aroma with hints of dark fruitiness and everything is very bready.

T - Lets see here...rich milk chocolates, raisiny fruits, some coffee, bready malts, and finally a faint cinnamon spice. Aftertaste is a powdery milk chocolate.

M - Very filling, smooth and slightly chalky.

D - Little more could be asked from an RIS. One of the finest stouts you can get in my area and for only 5 bucks a bomber (cheapest I've seen it), this shit rocks.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Got a bomber from my local liquor store for $8, pretty pricey, but I trust the brand. Poured it into a sniffer...

L: Beautiful silky black body with a vague reddish brown color, but even the stream being poured is completely opaque. Full 3-finger head with gorgeous bubble patterns--mocha brown.

S: Chocolate, malt, roasted coffee, vanilla, toffee, brownies, dates, dark fruit... I'm understating the amount of roastiness.

T: Chocolate. Through and through. In the mix is roasted coffee, toffee, vanilla, malt, hops--mostly cascade, brown sugar, and dark, bitter chocolate. It's the epitome of a chocolate beer. Delicious.

F: Thick, milky, a tad syrupy, but very smooth, with the perfect lingering tangy stickiness.

O: An incredible brew. One I'd show anyone who frowns upon the idea of chocolate beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is probably as close to perfection as a stout can get. This is pure roasted heaven. I'm not even going to spend time doing the traditional review thing. Just imagine the quintessential stout and you will find all those elements on this beer.

Yum Yum Yum!!!!

Appearance: Black as night, nothing gettin' through this sucker

Smell: Delish, malted, roasted goodness

Taste: Malty, coffee goodness hints of cocoa

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied like any good Russian Imperial

Drinkability: Complex and delicious full flavored enjoyment

Although hard to find, grab it when you see it

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-black with a brown head and a heavy lace
S-chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, molasses, some oak and smoke aroma. every smell is different
T-coffee, chocolate, roasted malt taste with a hop bitterness in the aftertaste along with the smoke, oak and molasses taste and very little alcohol taste
M-full body and low carbonation that was very syrupy
O-Bottled on 9-24-2012 wish I had the will power to wait another year, maybe next time

Bottled November 17, 2009

Oak Aged Yeti pours a deep motor oil black with a monumental chocolate milkshake colored head that soon becomes craggy and pitted as it slowly fades leaving great creamy swathes of sticky lacing in it's wake.

The aroma is redolent of creamy vanilla, dark chocolate, anise and freshly brewed iced coffee with a hint of alcohol and a faint woody scent.

The flavor is as massive as regular yeti but much smoother and more complex. Vanilla, bitter dark chocolate, and rich creamy milk chocolate fudge rear their heads in equal amounts vying for attention with espresso and dark roasted biiter malts. Hints of licorice. Hops are quite pronounced as well in a long lingering bitter sweet finish. Alcohol is nearly completely masked and felt mostly as a gentle warming. Wow!

Mouthfeel is heavy and chewy, deeply creamy and as smooth as a regular Russian Imperial stout aged well over a year. Easily one of the best mouthfeels I've encountered.

Dangerously drinkable! Oak Aged Yeti invites you to take more than a sip at a time. Something tells me this might not be the wisest course for imbibing this fantastic brew however! It's amazing though that a beer like this could be that drinkable. The mouthfeel and flavour are simply superb.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

22 oz bomber into pint glass.

A: Dark as midnight with a solid inch-high golden brown head.

S: Holy cow. Roasted coffee, some fruit smell (cherries? raspberries?).

T: Delicious. That mocha/coffee undertone with complex malty flavors, the sweetness from beginning to end, adds up to a solid imperial stout.

MF: Substantial, bread just out of the oven chewiness.

D: I took it slow, but I could have kept drinking it. Would like to try a good meal pairing. It's substantial enough to stand alone of course, but it seems like the flavors would complement an aged steak very well.

A wonderful beer for wintertime (or anytime).

4.75/5  rDev +12%

For an oak aged beer I was expecting a lot of alcohol burn but with this one you don't get that. It's smooth with little to no burn at all. Dark brown head with chocolate and vanilla notes on the tongue. When I lick my lips I get a burst of chocolate. Definitely one of my favorite "Yeti's" and one of my favorite oak aged beers to date.

A dark planet stirs.
Big and black massed Earth creates mountainous jagged dirty brown snow peaks.
The snow melts into a small shallow pond after time aloft.
Tons of snowflakes and ash blow across the oily sky.

Charred hillside forests still greet the air with its scorched greenery bringing a fiery realm of blackened resinous heat.
The Valley below was indeed thick with vegetation.
Where once stood big branching oaks, tall climbing hop vines, supple vanilla bean pods, forever fields of barley grain and oat grain, and bountiful crops of cocoa plants, now sits a blackened scattered skeleton of leaves, twigs, branches, and trunks.
Whisky-like gases steam up from the black char of ash.
The air fills with a windy oakened oat sweet dust now as it wafts about enveloped within a heavy chocolate fog brought on by a period of cooling.

The air brings taste with it.
Charred barley and heavy set cocoa slip onto your tongue.
Breathe more inward and find hop vines still growing among the blackened vanilla pods.
Oily and resinous charred backwash builds on recourse as you exhale.
The gaseous whisky makes its way to the back of the throat.
Yet you do not choke.
It floats and coats much like the gassy ground from which it was purged.
It burns, but not more then the air itself.
Nothing of the mighty oaks has survived it seems.
Twisted, fallen, and smokened trunks at best.
The heavy chocolate fog amidst the atmosphere helps lift a cool transition inbetween breaths.

You can see.
You can feel.
Its no more a path as it is an opening.
Starting wide and almost slippery.
Narrowing as we go deeper into the Valleys' slope.
Quickly now.
The breathing feels somewhat harder now.
The burning takes over.
The char and some gases takes over.
Not unbearable, but smooth as to the gills a of fish underwater.
Again, the chocolate fog breezes across your face cooling the air.
Only left is the charred resin of the Valley below.

Percolating and brimming with new bourne life out of its own ashes.
The surface is torridly smooth from peak to peak.

Life flourishes within its own obliteration
Beautiful; if it were.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

A= pour is jet black with a dark tan head about one finger with respectable lacing.
S= chocolate plum fig and vanilla come through strong. Delicious milkyness as well.
T= oh wow. Hop bitterness all aroundon tops of the great flavors from the nose. Slight alcohol taste to finish but not much. The taste blends very well.
M= creamy and smooth/ coats the pallette with low carbonation.
D= very high I guess. This is one of the best RISs I've ever had. This is soo smooth and delicious. The taste is right on.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Taste is rather sweet but I like that. Lots of chocolate and roasted malt. Not much coffee as others. Finish is a little bitter but not overly.

Mouthfeel is quite viscous with a little carbonation.

Overall, one of the best and most satifying stouts I have had in a while if ever. Well done; actually a great beer.

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to mentor for leaving this beer in the Iowa Beer Cache. It's been sitting in my cellar fridge for quite some time now, but I figured I should open it while the regular Yeti is still relatively fresh on my mind. Perhaps because there was a few days of nothing but hard work between tastings, but I can't seem to tell much of a difference in the Oaked Yeti vs the regular. The hops are maybe less intense, and the aromas and flavors have maybe come together a bit more, but I am not getting much of an oaked flavor in this beer. Nonetheless, this is still a great beer all the way.

The head didn't quite cascade as magnificently as the regular Yeti, thus this beer doesn't get as impressive of remarks, but she still looks like a beaut'. Very viscous pour, building to a thick black substance white tiny streams of chocolatey bubbles flowing up the edges of the glass. The head only grew to about half an inch and receded to a thin halo very quickly. Left spotty lacing as opposed to the sheets in the Yeti.

The smell is finally beginning to pick up some of that vanilla smell now that I have typed a few paragraphs. It replaces the intense piney hop character of the regular Yeti quite wonderfully. Blends great with the chocolate malt and the coffee, and the subdued hops. One of the best smelling beers ever, now that it has warmed up from cellar temp of 45F.

The vanilla oaked flavor is still very subtle on the tongue, unfortunately. Nonetheless, this beer has really been brought together after sitting in an oak cask for a while. I've changed my mind from the first paragraph. This IS quite a different entity than the regular, and methinks this one is even better! There is a perfect blend of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, with a bit of hops. The finish is very chocolatey sweet. Not a lot of roastiness, and not nearly as hoppy as the regular Yeti. That oak has really brought the beer together, has it not?

The mouthfeel is thick and coating, moderately dry on the finish. Has a great aftertaste of chocolate and vanilla coffee. Drinkability is good. Could be better, but this is a very savoury beer... too rich and too powerful to be more than a 4.0 in the drinkability, but every bit as damn good as a perfect 5 in the "would you drink it again" category.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company