Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

User Reviews & Ratings
firstprev| 1626-1650 | 1651-1675 | 1676-1700  | next → last
Reviews: 1,688 | Ratings: 4,634
3.26/5  rDev -23.3%

22 oz bottle. Pours a viscous and totally opaque black. It has the darkest brown head I've ever seen on a beer. The head is a thick and heavy dimpled cream that retains well and leaves a good amount of lacing.

Its aroma is chocolate, dark fruits (fig), vanilla, and strong oak (almost corky) notes with some hops and alcohol.

The flavor is chocolate, vanilla, cream, oak and figs followed by a surprisingly big bitter (and slightly alcoholic) hop finish. It has a lingering sharp bitter and alcoholic (almost fuel-like) sticky aftertaste that I found to be too much - it really detracted from my enjoyment of the beer. The mouthfeel is full and creamy.

Overall, this would be a very fine Imp Stout, if not for the unappealing aftertaste (and finish to some extent). I thought Left Hand's Oak Aged version was much better balanced and better overall.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

22 oz Bomber.
Pours a deep black with a tight, well-formed, creamed-coffee colored head. Lacing and retention are quite good.
Smell is chocolate, bitter coffee, slight hops, earthy vanilla and just a bit of bourbon and oak.
Taste is bakers chocolate, dark roast coffees, smooth vanilla. At 75 IBU, this is a pretty well-hopped IS. I personally don't like my imperial stouts to be this bitter, but the flavors meld well and the hops don't overpower anything else in the mix. There is a long, slow, hint of bourbon that coats the tongue and warms the throat. I've had the regular Yeti and I really can't remember the alcohol being so pronounced.
Mouthfeel is good, I think that the hops and bourbon make this one a bit harder to drink than it ought to be. Perhaps if it were to be laid down for about 6 months or so, everything would gel a bit more. Still, a very enjoyable Imperial Stout. Certainly worth seeking out.

Note: I LOVE what brewers now-a-days are doing with oak aging. I think more beers should be aged in oak.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

Saw this one at the Hyde Park Express and had to pick it up.

Appearance: Black. Black, very black. pours with a thick brown head that fades somewhat but laces the glass nicely as well.

Smell: American hops, Molasses, Roasted aromas and some alcohols. This would be a good incense. At least I think so.

Taste: Somehow not quite as good as regular old Yeti. I think the must of dry hopped it more, or maybe added more hops to the batches that were going to be aged, cuz I don't remember the hop presence being quite this aggressive. Also though the effects of oak aging are minimal, there is a second distinct bitterness I dectect. Also, all the sweetness, roasted flavors, molassess and alcohols of the Orginal Yeti are there in full force. A very complex beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick man. Really like say the consistency of maple syrup mixed 50/50 with water. yummy with good tingles going down.

Drinkability: Too strong too drink too much of, and sadly its drinkablity is lessened in knowing that the standard Yeti is just a notch or two better.

Blue body label double-deucer with a cool silver mountain in the background and a blurb about 75 IBUs.

Dark zero light escaping pour like someone just filled my glass with midnight. This is buh-lack like used motor oil from a 1971 Oldsmobile with a dense gargantuan tight light brown tan craggy surface-of-the-moon head cap which won’t go away if ya asked it to. This is a monstrous cap of statuesque proportions leaving thick glass painting brown lace.

Huge massive grassy syrup pine forces muster and attack me nostrils. Not too much more scents followed through with the oak barrel, but the roasted malts and piney hops commingle.

First swigs: Bakers chocolate, coffee, and pumpernickel. Vanilla extract. Quite complex. Flavors meander with cocoa, brown sugar and roasted malts. Lemon oil and pine tar blend with black coffee in the lingering aftertaste.

Beers don’t get any thicker than this. A mega-heavy imperial stout. Goes down like cake batter rather than beer. The drinkability was stifled as a result of the oak aged aspect getting in the way and the hops being so overwhelming to the point that the stout characteristics were subdued. Plain Yeti would be recommended.

Last swigs: Grassy leafy hops meets thick roasted malt bakers chocolate. Looks great, smells great, full bodied, but in the long run, just another R.I.S. Wouldn’t go for another if it were free. Still hot with a lack of oak character overall. A lack of oak flavors which may need time to mellow and develop. Maybe a year in the cellar will be stellar? After a few swigs, this becomes such a flavoe monger that your tongue becomes entwined. Reminiscent of Vic’ry Storm King such that if you have had Storm King, ya aint missing much worthy to write home about. This ran the gamut of flavors since it started fridge fresh and wound up room temp tepid.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

3.68/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured pitch black and formed a nice medium tan foamy head that coated the glass with lace as it subsided. The aroma that immediately hits you on this imperial is hops, hops and more hops, which is unusual for the style. Other aromas present hint at vanilla, malt and some pine trying to sneak through the wall of hops. The flavor was of hops, pine and a touch of citrus with some smokiness. The body was medium light and the finish was slightly burnt. I think the hops were overdone on this one and really impact the overall appeal of this beer.

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours oil thick blackness with an orangish, deep tan head. Retention is good.

Nose is of huge citrusey hops, bakers chocolate, ripe pear flesh, a slight "green" vegetable-like aspect with faint hints of vanilla and wood.

It's harshly carbonated and slightly too astrignent in the mouth, but it still retains Yeti's lucious thickness and stickiness. It's full of roasty, charcoal like content, with great chocolate and orangey citrus from the considerable hops. Nice fruity flavors are present, a bit of that pear flesh from earlier as well as deep dark fruit aspects. Finish is dry and roasted with a constantly building bitterness towards the back.

All in all a nice beer, though the Oak Character is really subdued and the beer is honestly too harsh. Perhaps some time in the cellar would tame this beer and make it into the gem that regular old Yeti is. Alas, I had only one bottle, so I may never find out.

If you've got a bottle of this, SIT ON IT for a while. It's too agressive right now.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared with a friend. Deep dark brown in color with a nice tan thick head. Aroma of dark chocolate and very roasty like coffee. Very roasty. Big malty aroma. Big palate. Palate is smooth. Rich flavors. Full bodied beer. Excellent enjoyable beer.

4.61/5  rDev +8.5%

48F.
This is not just a beer, it looks like beer demi-glace. The color of a black hole - it's sucking my brains out. The beer meringue climbs, climaxes with tan peaks and brown roots. Smells of vanilla, mint and, and s-beer-oy sauce. So thick, and concentrated.
The espresso of beer. Thank you Brian, you're making incredible beers. Jees....it's so damn good. Sweet and dark without being burnt. Flourless chocolate torte with thick cocoa garnish. Carmelized kirsch-soaked cherries. Yummy candied wood. Are there hops in here? Like every bite is covered with pine sprinkles. Alright, I just did it, I touched myself. Yes, right there, on the g-spot.

2.71/5  rDev -36.2%

Poured straight up black.
Half-inch of brown head - slightly creamy.

My nose... suddenly I smell Hops! Pine Forest! My God, am I drinking an IPA? Chinook I think... very piney and spicy. I poured it 5 minutes ago and I'm just staring and sniffing at the goblet. Should I drink it? I'm a bit nervous given the "oaked" craze lately. I had a bad experience with the Oaked Arrogant Bastard. Ok... I'm going to sip it now...

I just sipped my first IPA stout. Overwhelming spicy and piney hops, slight citrus, and tight bitterness that leaves little room for the roasted, almost burnt malts.

While I admit I'm a hophead, I wasn't breaking this open to taste hops... I wanted roasty chocolate, earthy malts and a slight vanilla from the "oaking". Instead I was hit with insane hop aroma and flavor.

It gets high rating for the looks and mouthfeel - nice long taste with a dry biting finish.

Final word: The official BJCP guidelines say it's ok for an Imperial Stout to have "Medium-low to high hop flavor (any variety)", but when a stout isn't balanced with the needed malt it's just not right.... I just can't recommend this one.

3.57/5  rDev -16%

Thanks to kmpitz2 for bringing this one to the tasting. I've had the Yeti and I was impressed. Pours a very dark color with a small head that doesn't stick around long, but leaves some nice lacing on the glass. The aroma was just way too hoppy. Nothing came through in the nose other than hops. I wanted some bourbon or oak character here. Nothing other than hops. The flavor was the same way. All of the malts and the great oak character were hidden by the overpowering hops. The body is there, but the drinkability isn't. This could have been so much better without all the hops.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

This beer gets the "Oh shit!" award from me for our BA tasting the other night. Thanks to Kevin (kmpitz2, our host for the evening) for bringing this one to the table. 22oz. bomber poured into a snifter. It pours a midnight black color with one finger of dark head. There is no lacing. The smell is just an assault of hops. I've had some hoppy imperial stouts, but holy shit! Lots and lots of piney hops under a thin layer of burnt malt. The taste is also super hoppy (definately fine by me!) with just a bit of molasses and a hint of chocolate coming through. Did I mention the hops? Yeah, they dominate this glass. The mouthfeel is very thick, yet smooth. The drinkability is also fairly good for a 9.5% brew. Thanks again to Kev for this, the hoppiest beer of the night. Who'da thunk it would have been an Imperial Stout???

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

I shared this bottle with some friends last night. It poured black as night, with a small ring of foam around the top of the beer. Hops assaulted my nose immediately after raising the glass. Citrus and pine dominate, overpowering any hint of the bourbon or chocolatey and coffee tones from the stout. Damnit. I love hops, but not at the expense of the characters I love in an oak aged beer, especially stout. The flavor was right there with the nose, big citrusy and piney hops sitting over a very distant roasted chocolate and coffee. No real oak character plays in this. Damnit all to hell. I'm a hop head, but show me some of the malt and wood character in this beer. The feel was thick, but not syrupy like the Goose Island BCS. I actually found this to be a better beer than the original Yeti, but at what expense? The oak and stout characters really had no say because the hops were just too damn loud. Lay this beer down and let the hops mellow to see what the malts and oak have to say. Don't get me wrong...this is a very good beer, but I want to see the hops step back a bit. I need to find another bottle for cellaring now. Shit.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

I original had a very small sample of Oaked Yeti at the brewery and it was very tasty, so when I saw it on draft at the Falling Rock a few days later, I had to treat myself to a pint.

By the way, this was aged in oak chips, not an oak barrel. Too bad, but I still love the creativity. According to the brewer they used a mixture of French Oak chips (Which I assume previously held bordeaux or some wine) and toasted oak chips. They experimented a lot with the mixture and after having the pint, I think they hit it dead on.

Black.

Drier than the original, perhaps and hint of oak, and more fruitiness in the nose. I still have never enjoyed Yeti's nose on draft. It truly doesn't do it justice.

Added winey fruitiness with deep chocolate, toffee, coffee and cocoa throughout and a small hint of honey and oak on the finish.

Another winner from what I personally consider to be Colorado's best brewery.

firstprev| 1626-1650 | 1651-1675 | 1676-1700  | next → last