Fresh Hop Pale Ale | Great Divide Brewing Company

Fresh Hop Pale AleFresh Hop Pale Ale

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-07-2005

Liked:
4.06/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,589 |  Reviews: 693

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Bomber bottled on Sept 30. Probably don't need a tulip for this, but I don't want to miss any aromas. After letting this warm up for about 30 minutes, I see a towering head that leaves intricate, almost symmetrical, lacing. The third and final pour from the bottle leaves a more resilient head that sticks around until the last drop. The beer is a perfectly clear orange-ish copper.

Aroma and taste are straight citric hops; there is nearly a complete absence of malt sweetness and yet my palate isn't torched. I've had other harvest APAs that have a heavier hand with caramel/chocolate malts but that's clearly not what GD was going for here. It's extremely light and refreshing without those malts or higher ABV to weigh it down, but it's not overpowering either.

I might have preferred a bit more sweetness for balance, but after spending most of the last six weeks ODing on marzen, this beer is pretty damn close to what I was looking for. It's a great representation of the fresh hop style.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a tasty brew. This was the first season that I was able to sample this brew, and I will certainly be picking up again when it comes out next year. Great Divide has never disappointed me.

Poured part of a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a transparent golden orange. It produced a solid two finger white head that slowly dissipated after several minutes to a thin crown on the top of brew. It left quite a bit of lacing.

Smell - Tons of fresh resinous hops - grassy and floral. Very piney and slightly citrusy. There is a thin sweet smell that is beneath the main hops scent - caramel or honey. Smells very enticing.

Taste - There is a thin sweetness intitially from caramel-like malt, and then a huge fresh hop flavor. The hops give it a very piney flavor, along with subdued citrus. While the hop flavor is the center stage, it doesn't slap you in the mouth - it is a very even-handed flavor. This beer highlights the bitterness and grassiness of the hops and less of their citrusy nature.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied. Very smooth going down. The carbonation level is just under where I would want it for my taste, but I could just be nit-picking. This beer is crisp but still has an extremely slight oily texture.

Drinkability - Excellent. The ABV is right in my sessionability range, and the flavor just makes me want to drink more. I could easily have 2 to 3 pints.

Great Divide hasn't disappointed me yet. This is a great seasonal, it is just too bad that hops are an annual plant, because this would be a great brew to have year-round.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours surprisingly clear with a golden-amber hue into a goblet. Really, I haven't seen a beer this clear in a long time. A light tan one- finger head burns off swiftly to leave a full-covering film. With the beer being so clear, it is easy to see the carbonation bubbles moving moderately swiftly up the glass. The lacing is quite sticky and has the appearance of a spindly spider's web.

S: An interesting hop bouquet graces my nose. Hints of parsley, rosemary, mint, grass, and slight citrus wafts drift lazily out of the glass. Of those aromas, I'd say the mint is the strongest presence. A bit of a caramel malt smell is present, along with a biscuit breadyness, but the hops definitely are the stars of the smell show.

T: Bitter, fresh hops jump onto my tongue. Distinct flavors of grapefruit, mint, grass, and spinach wash over my palate. Caramel malt sweetness is much more prevalent in the taste than it was in the smell. Actually, the balance between the varied hop taste and the caramel malts is quite even. This is very fresh and scrumptious pale ale.

M: This is a creamy, medium-bodied feel for a PA. The hops bite at the sides of my palate from first contact to well after swallow, while in the middle of the sip the caramel malt sweetness provides the aforementioned creaminess.

D: I will look forward to imbibing this fresh every year. This particular beer was bottled on October 4, 2010 and I count myself fortunate to have it at its peak of freshness. Chalk up another winner for Great Divide.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance – 22 oz bottle from Colonial Spirits. The label looks like they just photoshoped the words “Fresh Hop” over the label for Hercules Double IPA. Clear golden/amber with a creamy white head. Good retention and sticky lacing.

Smell – Huge fresh hop aroma, definitely an American original. Lemon, grapefruit, grass, just like sticking your head into a bag of hops. Maybe a hint of malt underneath, but its faint.

Taste – Smooth bitterness and some sweetness, with lots of hop flavor. The hop flavor consists of citrus, pine, and lots of grass. While hops dominate the flavor the beer is not overly bitter, in fact I would call it balanced for the style. Basically no malt flavor, except for a bit of caramel, but that is just fine for a beer that showcases hops so well.

Mouthfeel – Smooth medium body with average carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes – Its hard to find a flaw in this beer, its just really good. It has more hop flavor than most IPAs with less bitterness. This is my first wet hopped beer, and if this is any indication I should search out more immediately. Another gem from Great Divide, I need to go buy a few more of these.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a standard pint shaker.

Pours a nice, clear golden orange color. Little head to speak of, but small skiffs of foam hang around, like the last visage of dish washing liquid.

Aroma is interesting to say the least. Not as overpowering a hop aroma in the glass as there was coming from the neck of the bottle, but it's still there. Initially, you get a good burst of hops, smelling bright and vegetal. In the bottle, that's all you got. In the glass, however, you're met with an equally strong earthy malt aroma, which balances the first blast of hops quite nicely. In total, it smells of a bitter yet sweet substance that is strangely appetizing.

Upon first taste, this comes across as just a standard (albeit quite good) APA. But then you get a new sensation, one I'm not used to with the beers I drink. It feels like the hop bitterness floats up to the roof of your mouth, then tries to make its way up the back of your nose and into your sinuses from behind. It's perhaps the strangest physical sensation I've gotten from drinking anything I can remember. Yet it's a pleasant experience, and adds an odd level of complexity to this brew. Beyond that, this IS just a really good standard pale ale, with a small but present malt backbone to try to hold off the avalanche of hop bitterness that permeates the entire drink. The hop flavors dominate, with the vegetal/citrus flavors defeating any resistance the malt sweetness may try to put up. Quite nice, especially when you add the extra sensation I mention above.

The mouthfeel is, as Baby Bear said, just right. It's substantial enough to let you know this isn't water, but with no need to chew it to get through it.

Overall, this is one interesting beer. It's not overly complex, being, as I said, nothing more than a standard American Pale Ale. But something with the wet hops does add a level to the drinking experience which was new to me, and one I enjoyed tremendously. This isn't a great beer, but it's a damned fine one, and well worth seeking out.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: deep ruddy gold. Head is rocky 2 fingers that dissipates to 2 mm full profile disk. some sparse lacing.

S: Sewery dank grapefruit, bitter citrus, some spicy yeast ester is peeking around the edges.

T: It's very smooth and bitter at the same time. Smelling is same as tasting here. malt is middling malt like caramel but lighter roast. Bitter citrus is yielding to minor piney notes. Complex. resinous on a ephemeral level, very mild.

M: creamy as all get out. carbonation reminds me of nitro carb. bittering hops are very present on final swallow. out breath is spicy hop citrus.

O: it is definitely a big fresh hop ale. Those dusty, dank resinous new hop notes present a nice complex hop brew.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle with lots of sediment. Poured carefully into a pint glass, it produces a thin quarter inch head on top of a hazy golden orange body.

Aromas of grapefruit are complemented by a strong caramel malt presence. Taste is exactly like it smells. Sweet malt up front with a nice citrus bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly full bodied. Drinkability is great. More like a well balanced IPA than an APA.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev 0%

Appearance:
Pours clear and copper in to a tulip. There is a minor head but it has some really good sticky lacing despite it's poor retention.

Smell:
The scent is potent and piney and pretty much all things you would expect from rich oily hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
There is a nice candy sweetness up front but from then on out there is aggressive "green" hop bitterness. The beer is crisp overall and finishes rather clean with some lingering bitterness in to the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
Personally I find this to be very refreshing and tasty but people who are not big on hops should probably shy away from this one.

Bottom Line:
Just as good this year as I remember it being last year. It's intensely hoppy for a pale ale so be sure to pick this up hop fans.

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%

Been looking forward to this one with all the local buzz about it. Still a newb to reviewing beers. I bought this 22oz bottle and poured it into 2 average pint glasses.

A - Golden in color. Thick head that settles very slowly. Nice lacing
S - Sweet lemon(?) grassy smell. Not an overwhelming smell, but definitely there.
T - Bitter hops at the back of your tongue. Not a sharp hoppyness, but white spiced and earthy if that makes sense. Refreshing. Not caramelly or malty. I can't quite place it...Seems simple at first, but then is more complex. There's something going on that I can't quite put my finger on. Did I just chew gum?
M - medium to light body. Bubbley if you try to slurp taste it.
D - Wish I bought another bottle. I didn't see any more in the liquor store today. This is a refreshing and light hoppy beer. Another bottle might have helped the reviewing too. heehee! Mint chocolate chip ice cream sounds pretty good right now after this beer.

WTH? My husband just poured his half of the bomber to me. Guess I'm in luck. LOL

Fresh Hop Pale Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company