Fresh Hop Pale Ale | Great Divide Brewing Company

Fresh Hop Pale AleFresh Hop Pale Ale

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-07-2005

Reviews: 683 | Ratings: 1,550
3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours golden amber, minimal head with spotty lacing.

Good amount of floral hops in the nose.

Taste has a decent amount of earthy and floral hops. Minimal malt to tie it together.

Light to medium bodied, good amount of carb, and dry finish.

Def an easy drinking beer. Just a tad too expensive to drink regularly with so many choices out there.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

22oz bottle (bottled on Sep 23 2009)

The is a perfect orange amber color . Great off white head, a good 2 fingers worth, that is full of bubbles. Lacing begins almost immediately, leaving some circular designs.
The label states a grassy, citrusy designation, and I certainly agree. The citrus is grapefruit and lemony in smell and the grassy reminds me of a fresh cut lawn on a spring day.
The taste has a great amber male that stays around for awhile. Only as the beer reaches the back of the palette does the hop presence appear. The aftertaste is definitely astringent and dry but is balanced my the lingering malt. There is also this interesting earthy, garden like taste, like the lingering of a bite of fresh vegetable soup. Carbonation is nice and full. The beer is medium bodied and stays on the pallet; very smooth. It's been awhile since I'v had a pale ale that didn't have India in front of it. Love the restraint Great Divide had in this. Is a perfect example of an American Pale Ale.

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

I'm gonna call this one an I.P.Ale Ale. Witty, huh? Because this beer really defies categorization. Hoppy and citrusy like an I.P.A., but with the rich finish of a superior pale ale. All the fresh "wet" hops they use in this brew lend a remarkably fresh taste right out of the bottle. A bit spendy at almost $7.00 for a 22-ounce bomber, but this baby's worth it...

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle date best by Dec 30, 2013
Pours a super clean orange with thin white head

Aroma- big grassy hop resin, musty mango, citrus rind, flower pedal

Taste- juicy and resinous: juicy grapefruit and orange with subtle tropical fruit, earthy wet hop resin surfaces in the middle with sweet bready malt, finishes quite dank and sticky with piney/oily hop resin and traces of citrus

Feel- big for a pale ale, sticky, resinous, balanced

Well I am so pleasantly surprised by this. I was quite disappointed with last year's release (in fact, I kept coming across a similar very astringent grassy note in many of their beers that threw me off, not the case here). This is a great wet-hopped beer with all the right resiny, oily hoppy goodness. Well done Great Divide

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The appearance of this beer is almost picture perfect. A thick off-white head sitting on top of a golden body with amber highlights. Good head retention with some lace clinging to the sides. A nice whiff of citrus and floral aroma after the pour. A bitter grapefruit taste that lingers on the tongue for awhile. Not much maltiness, but it isn't lop-sided with hops either. Light to medium-bodied and a good beer over all.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

*Bottled September 29, 2009

The pour produced a billowing 2 finger creamy and fluffy head that dies moderatly quick. Clear orangish amber in color. Outstanding lacing, and some great clinginess.

An intoxicatingly hoppy and slightly citusy fruitiness that almost overwhelms my senses as I take a deep whiff. Almost penetrates my sinuses.

Taste is nothing short of outstanding. Not a lot of hoppy bitterness. Straight forward hops and some cirtus backdrop. Find this even more enjoyable than other pale ales that I know and love.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth and creamy, nice light carbonation that is simply put just smooth and drinkable. Seems like a great anytime drinker.

Great Divide, great job as always.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Amber with a nice off white head that left some lacing, but not much.

S - Citrus and pine hops with a sweet caramel malt background.

T - Pretty good. Grassy pine flavor balanced well with citrus hop notes. Malt sweetness is there, but is not overwhelming. Very crisp and clean.

M - Light to medium bodied and smooth.

D - Very drinkable. A light, crisp beverage that has enough flavor to keep me happy.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Thanks to thehand for this bottle. Pours a clear golden/amber color with a nice head and excellent lacing.

Smells like fresh piney hops and caramel malt.

Starts with sweet malt and grapefruit hops and ends on a tasty bitter note.

Good stuff. Very tasty and sessionable.

3.82/5  rDev -6.4%

Just bought this beer from a local store. It came in a 22 Oz. bomber, and was bottled on Jan 14 2010.
Initially i was excited about this beer. I had tried sierra nevada celebration, and thought it would be similar; and i think it is, only with a bit less hops.
(A)- Poured a nice amber and orange color with little to no head at all. i like a bit more head on my beers but color alone was okay.
(S)- I loved the smell. initially all i could smell was a strong piney smell with some citrus. but now after 5-10 min or so im getting a nice malty smell to it.
(T)- The taste was okay nice citrus flavor maybe lemon or grapefruit.I thought when i bought this it would be more on the IPA side but now know its a pale. still descent in taste.
(M)- Smooth, clean, doesn't leave a great aftertaste in my mouth but i can appreciate the texture.
(D)- nice drinkable beer and i feel it is a descent beer from great divide. Honestly im not a huge fan of GD but i def think this is one of my favs.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pretty typical pale ale. Copper/orange color with a one-finger head. Excellent lacing as you drink.

S: My first smell convinced me this was a summer, lawn party beer. Too bad it's practically winter. Citrusy, grassy, and pretty damn good.

T: Tastes somewhat like a green beer, with some great citrusy and fruity/piny undertones. Quite hoppy and bitter, but balanced with a fair amount of sweetness throughout.

M: Quite smooth, with a medium amount of carbonation. Finishes clean.

O: Certainly airs on the side of an IPA. Great Divide ships the hops for this beer overnight from the West Coast, so with this level of attention to the hops it's not surprising that they dominate the beer. Overall a great pale ale (from a devoted DIPA drinker). Would buy again, bomber or six pack.

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured a translucent, totally filtered light golden amber that produced a very froathy head which fleeted to a tremendously nice consistent lacey layer. Smells are of slight hop, freshness, slight undiscernable citrus and minimal malt. The smells are not very robust. The taste follow suits with a tad of hoppy bitter awesomeness. It has hints of earthiness to it. The tastes fade quickly leaving a dry bitter bite. A decent beer but it was lacking something. The bottle notes 'Grassy' and 'Citrusy' characteristics with 'Grassy' being triumphant. It did lack a bit of hoppiness that I look for in a good PA. A bit pricey at $6.99 I feel. It's worth noting that the bottling date is in early Sept. A few reviews I briefly overviewed mentioned October or later. Hoppy beers are better the fresher they are, in my limited opinion. Nonetheless, I'm glad I tried it.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle poured into Pint Glass
A: Copper brown. Half inch head retained. Beautiful sticky lacing left in splotches around the glass. Nice CO2 trails from bottom of glass.
S: Very sweet start followed by Piney citrus filled hops.
T: Not nearly as sweet as I was expecting by the smell. Piney hops creep in and dominate the flavor profile. Leaves a resiny aftertaste on tongue, a pleasant one that is.
M: Light on tongue, kind of more bare than I was hoping for.
D: Of the fresh hops I have enjoyed this season it is by far one of the most drinkable. The hops don't tear apart your palette, but dominate a large portion of the flavor profile.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into pint glass.

The beer is a beautiful orange clear, that has a nice crisp, clean look to it. From its appearance, the beer looks fairly tame, because of the clarity, with a massive amount of carbonation flowing to the top.

The beer poured a nice 1.5 finger head and the lace stayed on the sides of the glass. The nose of the beer is a sharp contrast the beers appearance. The aroma is citrusy with a strong dose of hops, more than many other pales ales that I have drank.

The beer shocked with a strong dose of hops. The refreshingly bitter taste is excellent. The beer is medium bodied, and has a complex flavoring to it. Very drinkable beer. Good for both summer/winter times. Outstanding product.

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

A- Pretty looking beer. Great two finger rocky and fluffy head sits atop a clear light amber liquid. Really great lacing and perfect retention. I initially gave it a 4.5 but after more than half way through the beer with a thick layer of foam still sitting perfectly on top I had to give it a 5. It truly makes the beer more enjoyable having some foam in every gulp.

S- Grassy? Hell yeah its grassy, I've been hearing that about all these fresh hop beers which seem to be more popular this year than ever. This is the first beer where I could really identify it. It's really pungent, kinda burns the nostril or makes you want to sneeze. Great smelling beer!

T- Not overly bitter, but a really nice clean up front hop flavor. Real complexities show up in the hop flavor that other IPA and IIPA's lack, good balance of piney bitter hops, earthy, and sharp citrus falvors.

M- Good mouthfeel, I like the carbonation and medium bodied seems to go well with this style. Nothing really sticks out to me though.

D- Great drinkability. Not too high ABV no overwhelming or palate stomping flavors. Really good beer this is, I highly recommend it but I do really love fresh hop beers.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Brought a 22 oz bomber back form Denver. Poured into two Great Divide Cervois glasses to split with my wife. The beer is a deep-golden red color with good head retention. Wasn't sure what to expect never having any "fresh hop" beers before. I was not disappointed. The hops are distinct, but not over-bearing. The citrus flavor is still there, but it seems 'smoother' and not so sharp. The aroma is citrusy with a grassy back ground. Mouthfeel is only slightly slick.

This is a very drinkable beer. I wish I could have brought more back.

2.92/5  rDev -28.4%

Thanks to fbm115 for sharing this one.

A - Amber in color, decent head

S - Piney hops

T - Big malt presence, highly roast with a slight hop bite. The hops are far too piney though and there is no balance to the hop bouquet.

M - Medium-high carbonation and medium in body.

D - Not that good. Too piney, not a great beer from Great Divide. Very disappointed by this one.

3.31/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured a brownish reddish color...looks filtered and a big frothy 2 inch off white head. drinking out of a frosted snifter glass. a good looking beer. Not getting much off the smell which is odd coming from a bottle titled FRESH HOP, this did not smack me in the face like a stone enjoy by would for example. Getting some earthy soil like grassy hops....some pine..tad of sweetness, not much at all here. weird. Taste follows the smell to a tee...pretty one dimensional and straight forward, but not bad at all. grassy...leaves a slight bitterness on the palate after swallowing. very drinkable and enjoyable. Almost a session beer I would say. I feel like I went in thinking this was going to be a giant hop monster Double IPA. For a pale ale...this is good. Medium carbonation and slightly creamer in the mouth. very enjoyable.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

This brew poured from a 22 oz bottle looks orange-yellow in the light. The color is very nice. Carbonation was minor at first, but remained at the same level for the whole time it took me to drink the brew. White bubbles.

Smell was a little disappointing. I think my bottle is about 8 weeks old though, so my guess is that the smell was great a couple months back. Smell is of light citrus notes and grapefruit- slight sour odor.

Taste is a little harsh. The predominate flavor is malt, with the slightest lemon aftertaste. I would say the hop level has simply declined with time. With that said, when I warm it for a moment in my mouth, I find that it releases more of the hoppy flavor that I am used to in a pale ale.

Not too bad for a pale ale, but needs to be consumed closer to the date produced. I will likely try again next fall.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. A nice clear crisp golden/copper color. Two fingers of head with great retintion. Some moderate lace around the glass while I drank.

Smelled really crisp and clean, citrus and grassy with a touch of toasted malt.

Good citrus hops on the front some really good earthy tones in the back. A bit of toasty malts though out. A nice bold apa!

A almost dry finish, medium body. Really easy to drink!

4.46/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just tapped the keg yesterday, May 8th and the paper ring says it was kegged Oct 31 - so it might be a little old to be calling Fresh Hop but I will review it anyways as I liked it very much. Beautiful color, nice carbonation that has some thickness to the foam - coats the glass with lacing patterns. Not a strong scent from it, but what there little there is, is very pleasing. Is 6.1% a session IPA? Well, compared to what I usually drink it is, ...

I like the mouthfeel, it does flow over the tongue and leave some pleasant bitterness followed by dryness in the back corners of the mouth. Only 55 IBU's? Well, I think it is pretty well balanced, recommend you try it on draft. There has always been a "metallic" aftertaste in the bottle versions of this, IMHO.

Later EDIT: discussed this with a couple of friends and they are confirming that the October batches are selling for huge discounts on both keg and bottle - don't let the hype on "Fresh" sway you, the 1/6bbl costs me $40 which is a screaming deal on any IPA of quality. I hear the former $12-13 bombers are going for $3-4, which again, is a heck of a deal on a marvelous beer!

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

An excellent beer, but not a contender for price to performance ratio.

A: Pours your typical pale ale pale orange color. Nothing crazy here, but a very nice, foamy and sticky head with decent lacing.

S: Immediately, I could tell that this was a wet-hopped ale from the taste and smell and looked at the bottle to find that I was correct. I don't know how to describe it, but wet-hopped ales simply have a different character than dry-hopped. It's not better or worse, just different. Expect more of a plant-heavy aroma, and a less intense aroma than similar dry-hopped beers.

T: The fresh hops and balanced perfectly with the malt to give an overall "IPA" feel to this beer but clearly much less dry than that style. The fresh hops will push the typical hop "grapefruit" citrus bite back and instead present more of a "tree" or "grass" (plants) taste up front. Great Divide does do one thing right, and that's make a really well-rounded beer and this beer really hit the spot for me.

M: The mouthfeel is average. Excpect something a little sweeter than you expected so you might not be quite as possessed to swirl it around.

D: Great Divide makes phenomenally drinkable strong beers.

If there was one thing I could add to this site, it would be a sixth category, "value". This beer, which I bought on closeout for $4 a bomber, was definitely worth its asking price and demonstrated more of a $6 beer quality, however, its retail price of $9 is simply excessive and this beer is not worth that much, simply put. My experience with this beer and their Hercules IPA is that Great Divide makes beers that are marginally better than the competition and charges an arm and a leg for the result. I would not buy this beer at full price, however, I will go back to the store tomorrow and buy more at the sale price!

3.59/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass
bottled date 9.30.15
poured golden with a thick white head that lasted and left lace on glass beer was somewhat cloudy with some sediment
smell of citrus, lemon, pine and grass
taste slightly sweet with citrus and floral notes
feel crisp and effervescent
not bad bottle date made me nervous but beer seemed fine

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

pours a thick, hazy honey gold, with a large, initial white fluffy head, that dissipates to a nice lacing. Smell is a bright, appealing grassy and pine resin, with wafts of citrus. I can tell this is pure hop goodness. The taste is hoptastic. Intense, piney layers, with grapefruit astringency, and a sweet, orange candy finish. Sticky consistency, but with a triumphant carbonation. For what it is, wonderful. Hardly balanced, but that's hardly the point. Fresh Hop Ale delivers as advertised.

good stuff. One bottle is enough, as this is a hop kick to the teeth.

3.76/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: Poured a clear, gold/orange/copper with about 2 fingers of foamy off white head. This dropped back to light lacing, a foam ring and sticky foam on the sides of the glass.

S: Some hops, malts, grapefruit and maybe some other citrus, hay/freshly mowed grass. I detected just a hint of pine at the end of the first whiff.

T: Hops up front followed quickly by the citrus and malt backbone. With that, a sourness and a grass-like flavor as the beer warmed in the glass. Drinks pretty clean with a dryer, bitter finish. Spicy??? Though I tasted that, not too sure. No alcohol taste detected.

M: Light to medium body with a dry finish, leaving a hoppy, spicy taste on the back of the tongue. Carbonation was good, not too much, not too little.

O: Decent take on the pale ale from Great Divide. Very drinkable, finishes well and it's definitely something I would have no problems buying again.

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured this out of a 22 ounce bottle that almost made it a week.

A: Poured a beautiful amber. About 1/2 inch of head that dissipates into a very light lace. Nice white ring in the side of the pint glass.

S: Grassy flavours with light citrus dominate. Small amounts of malted barley make it through.

T: The hops hit first with it's grassy goodness with a slight hit of lemon. Oooh, this is a nice change. The hops aren't as bitter. I like this.

M: Feels like drinking 1% milk.

D: I could definitely pour another one. Smooth as silk.

Beautiful. A welcome change. Very smooth. The taste of earthy hops without the bitterness usually associated. I like the earthy tones in the beer.

Fresh Hop Pale Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company