Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

A generous infusion of Denver's own Pablo's espresso adds yet another layer of complexity to this beer, combining with the vanilla oak character, intense roasty maltiness and bold hop profile to create a whole new breed of mythical creature. It's official: You can now have Yeti with breakfast.

Added by John_M on 05-16-2008

Ratings: 3,742 |  Reviews: 1,060
3.38/5  rDev -20.3%

pours black, thick, some light brown head, good level of carbonation.

smell is burnt coffee

bitter taste. The nose was at least accurate, because burnt coffee is comin' your way. And then overpowers some of the wonderful things you would taste if you were drinking a regular oak aged Yeti. But nonetheless, some of the oak aged hoppy fruity stout flavors I've grown to love come through. Sort of. But they're mixed now with a bitterness that doesn't seem right.

to this beer's credit, after it beat down my palate with the bitter burnt coffee burn, we warmed up to eachother (somewhat). But I'd take a regular Oak variety of this stout most of the time, and if I wanted a coffee stout there are other (better) options.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

Growler poured into a pint glass
A: Pitch black with a 1+ finger head
S: Espresso, dark chocolate, a bit of cream
T: Coffee, cocoa but far more bitter than it needs to be
M: Full bodied, very very bitter
O: I guess I need to try this as it's bottled... I'll update my review if it's better. I've enjoyed the other GD Yetis I've had but this is so overwhelmingly bitter any positive notes that are there are hidden

3.41/5  rDev -19.6%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Black with a nice khaki head. Excellent retention and nice legs.

Smell - Heavily roasted malt. Grassy aromas. Coffee. Dark chocolate.

Taste - Bitter burnt malt flavor up front. Grassy flavors just behind it. Bitter character before a subtler coffee flavor comes in.

Mouthfeel - Overly bitter for me. Bitter and dry. It could use with some creaminess and a bit more body.

Overall - My least favorite of the Yeti series, besides infected bottles of BA Yeti. Leaves a dry bitter coffee flavor without the rich components I'd like to get from it.

3.41/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a dark as night black from my "bomber" bottle. Thick tan head quickly forms. The lacing sticks around. Looks great.

Smelled the vanilla oak right away. Of course the dark chocolate and roasty malts are prevalent. Perhaps some smoke as well.

Highly carbonated. The roasty, malty sweetness hits me first, but quickly disspates into the dark chocolate and some hoppy bitterness. I'm not picking up much of the vanilla in the taste. I think the espresso and chocolate have completely overshadowed it.

Thick on the tongue. The bitterness hangs around a while and to me makes a lasting impression.

Definitely a sipper. Somewhat of an acquired taste, but something you should try to broaden your horizons a bit.

On tap in a pint glass at Bodega on 5/5/10

Looks black in the glass. 1/4 inch of hot chocolate brown head that thins quickly. Impressive lacing despite thin retention.

Smells heavy enough. Espresso, fresh-ground coffee beans & roasted dark malts. Mild notes of chocolate. Oak is faintly present on the peripheries.

The taste is interesting; distinctly two parts. The first half is tasty burnt malts & some hop kick. The second half is all super-potent espresso - not irksome, just a tad overbearing. The espresso doesn't seem well-integrated with the other flavors; definitely bold. Oak is apparent as the beer warms.

Full bodied; quite heavy & dense. Moderate carbonation provides some liveliness; it actually gets kind of fizzy mid-swallow. Very gritty. Espresso & burnt notes linger on the finish.

While I don't at all mind it, I'd prefer to drink this in an amount smaller than a pint - maybe a 4-5oz pick-me-up, as it were. Yeti could shine here; instead, the espresso trumps it.

3.41/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours very dark black with a huge head that's almost just as black. Very dark head indeed. The head left lacing all over the glass and stuck around until the beer was gone.

Aroma of hops was overpowering. After warming up a bit more the malt and coffee came out to play. There really could have been a lot more malt and coffee tones for my personal preference.

Taste was very hoppy and bitter but not just from the hops but also the roasted malt and coffee. There wasn't as much balance as I'd hope for but this was still a tasty brew.

Mouthfeel was very slick and viscous. Very dry and bittter. Could be a bit sweeter in my opinion.

Good imperial stout but nothing I'd rush to pay $12.00 to $20 a bomber for again. I really enjoyed the regular oak aged yeti more than this beer and that really suprises me since I've loved every coffee beer I've had.

3.43/5  rDev -19.1%

A bit of a let-down here. Malt and hops were subdued, and the coffee notes were bland. Rather than an Imperial Stout, this might hit the American Stout mark, at best. My bottle was about a year old, but the beer didn't seem to have held up terribly well, and had already mellowed to the non-descript stage - in light of the abv, I would have expected it to remain more bold.

3.43/5  rDev -19.1%

A: Pours pitch black with about a finger of nice looking tan head. A decent amount of sticky lace clings to the sides of the glass.

S: Strong aromas of both chocolate and coffee. Very roasty and appealing, but I wonder if the espresso has faded a little since this brew was bottle eight months ago.

T: A good dose of roasty bitterness mixed with some earthy overtones tones comprises the main flavors in this one. Strong bitter notes (baker's chocolate, hops and burnt coffee) come through in the finish. Some sweet chocolate comes through initially, but is quickly overpowered by the other elements. I feel like the oak might actually do this brew just a little disservice by covering up some of its sweetness.

M: Full bodied with a moderate carbonation bite in the finish. The alcohol is hidden very well.

D: A decent Imperial Stout, but as with the other Yetis, this just does not impress me that much. I feel like the coffee addition just serves to make this brew a little too bitter, rather than adding substantially to the flavor. Still, like I said, it is decent and I won't complain about having to finish the bomber.

3.43/5  rDev -19.1%

Shared at a Yeti comparison tasting. Received in a trade from drgonzo3705. Thanks Paul!

A: A decadent motor oil black capped by a mocha-colored head. Each sip is accompanied by a wash of foam as I drink, but nothing sticks to the glass.

S: Surprisingly, chocolate is first and strongest on the nose, with espresso following after. I can pick up some roasted grains in there.

T: Again, the chocolate dominates the taste, but it very quickly gives way to an espresso flavor that remains for the duration of the taste. Roasted grains, oak dryness, and vanilla make appearances throughout. Some caramel as well. There is a substantial hop bitterness toward the end that reminds me where the base beer came from.

M: Huge body, well pronounced taste with a nice complexity, and a bitter finish. The ABV is noticeable, but not unbearable, and there's just enough carbonation to cleanse the palate without becoming too foamy.

D: I wasn't impressed with my first glass of this, but I came around to the second. It is a nice variation on the Yeti. I still prefer the base beer, as I'm not a coffee fan, but I could see myself getting some of this if Great Divide ever manages to distribute to CA.

3.43/5  rDev -19.1%

I was REALLY looking forward to this brew. I'm a huge fan of the regular OAY and was excited to crack this one open...

Pours out dark, thick, black, oily, and viscous... Slowly forming a mocha head, this one looks terrific...

Huge pungent aromas of espresso and hops intertwined... Interesting and delicious smelling...

Hmmm... Wow... Big, big, time booziness present along with an over the top espresso bitterness leaves me puzzled on the first sip...I detect quite a bit of hoppiness here as well.. Another sip... I wasn't wrong.. Another wave of boozy bitterness...in a bad way...

I just don't get it... And I didn't care for it either...

Very disappointing... Very...

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured a deep dark brown with a thick latte colored head.
Lots of thick lacing all the way down

The nose is a bit subdued, a lot of smoke and black patent, a hint of dark chocolate.

The flavor is initially dominated by burnt grain and smoke. Some dark chocolate and strong espresso come through after a bit. It finishes with a ton of bitter green hops. The oak shows up at the tail end leaving a strange woody aftertaste.

The mouthfeel has a good body with a long oily hop finish that really starts to dry out as the oak takes hold.

The initial flavor is good and its drinkable, although on the extreme burnt and bitter side, but as I got to bottom of the glass the oak just became more and more apparent, and not in a good way. Found it almost hard to finish with the strong cloying oak finish.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Awesome deep black color with brown foamy head, the nose is all espresso. Taste is a major dose of coffee as is expected, but it does not overwhelm, and as it warms more subtle notes of vanilla and regular yeti come through, although I did not get any oak. Solid on tap, but a bit too expensive overall.

3.46/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

All of the aged Yetis have been a little disappointing. The original is still the best incarnation. The chocolate aged is decent, but lacks the depth you would expect from the extra care and premium price. The 20th Anniversary is pretty good for a Belgian/Northern French style ale.

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a very black color, with a fairly nice sized brown head. Heavy aromas of bitter, burnt coffee, espresso and roasted malt. On the palate, the aforementioned coffee clearly dominates, along with dark chocolate, vanilla and just a hint of oak. Balance seems a little off, with an overbearing coffee flavor.

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

poured into a perfect pint and a snifter

pours a coffee black, very thin tan/almost brown head. sticky lacing on each sip.

smells like a chocolate espresso, bit of malt, but pretty straight to the point.

very rich and roasted. bitter coffee dominates the flavor with some chocolate poured in. everything tasted double roasted. full bodied that was thick and creamy. i forgot it was even aged in oak barrels. there was no oak in the taste or smell, but it obviously made this beast even darker and more robust.

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

22oz. bottle served in my DFH snifter. Bottled on 2/13/2009 indicated on the label. Poured one shade shy of black with a dense, mocha-colored cap embedded with ringlets. Head dissipates within seconds into a cluster of bubbles and a frothy band around the edges of the glass. Some spots of lacing appear as the brew recedes. Nose suggests espresso roast and bittersweet chocolate. More espresso roast in the mouth, but taste is somewhat charred and bitter rather than roasty. Some woody characteristics, but missing the vanilla. Bitterness lingers between quaffs. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied. Some carbonation burn on the front of the tongue, but as it dissipates it leaves behind a residual milky slickness. Alcohol is well-hidden on this one, but balance is off - way too bitter. May improve with cellaring.

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

Bottled Dec 20, 2010. Tulip glass.

A: Pours oily, viscous black with a few centimeters of dark brown, red tinted foam. The head vanishes within a minute or so, leaving behind a ring. So-so retention and leaves a few streaks of lacing.

S: Huge, rich roastiness and faintly fruity espresso. Wow, this is a big one. Also features some dark cocoa, chocolate, woody/vegetal/earthiness underneath, some sour/acidity, but is dominated by espresso and roast.

T: Loads of espresso, roastiness, finishing with a lightly sour coffee + bitter aftertaste and lingering on the palate. I'm impressed that the coffee is still present after a year of age.

M: A mouthcoating full body and light carbonation. Alcohol is hidden.

O: A little abrasive and fatiguing to drink alone. On the other hand, it's big enough to stand up to a rich dessert and has the right flavors to complement.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company