Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,050 | Ratings: 3,689
4.03/5  rDev -5%

Poured a black body with one finger than head that left minor lace patches down the glass. The aroma is roasted and coffee malts, the espresso aspect being noticeable, and there seems to be a hint of the oak/woodiness and even vanilla. I get this same aspect in the beer as it is medium bodied, slightly chewy, and smooth with oak notes and a minor vanilla like sweetness. The coffee taste is strong and really noticeable on the backend and finish as this beer finishes real dry. I like the balance and how this beer first hits me with a sweet edge and then finishes dry and just tempts you to have another sip.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

22oz bottle
Bottled Feb 13 2009

A- Poured into a snifter. Pours a dark black color with a light tan head.

S- The aroma is very dark and roasty with a lot of fresh roasted coffee in the nose. There is also some hops and a good dose of alcohol but the coffee is definitely the dominant smell in the aroma. Very nice! Can't wait for my first sip!

T- The taste starts out pretty smooth with some roasted malts and a hint of sweetness. It quickly to bitterness with a lot of bitter coffee and hop flavors in the finish. There is definitely a lot of hops in the finish, definitely one of the hoppier Imperial Stouts.

M- The mouthfeel is a little on the thick side with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is some great stuff. Not exactly the most drinkable beer in the world, it is definitely a sipper. Overall, this is one that I would definitely pick up again. Highly Recommended!

3.28/5  rDev -22.6%

Bottled Mar 19, 2010. Poured into 10oz glass. I just reviewed the Oak-Aged Yeti yesterday and most of what I said about that applies here. The obvious difference is the espresso. I don't like coffee so this brew had a built in disadvantage.

All the big flavors that I liked about the OAY are here, they are just overwhelmed by the dominant coffee. The finish was bitter due to the coffee and those burnt flavors lingered.

If you like coffee beers, you'll love this. If not, just stick with the OAY.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It comes in a deep black color with a wonderful coffee head. It's a beautiful brown head. One of the more beautiful stouts.

The aroma and flavor are just huge. It smells of big espresso beans and bitter chocolate. There's also big oak character.

Such a smooth stout, it has wonderful roasted espresso flavor and sweetness and then woody oak chip flavor. It has a lovely body. It's almost like a rich, dark chocolate coffee milkshake. It hits the flavors with its complex flavors, the creaminess, and mouthfeel spot on.

My issue with this beer however is the aftertaste. It's hard to pin down, but it makes you rub your tongue on the top of your mouth. I prefer this beer colder because as it warms up, the aftertaste gets more prominent. It's almost a chalkiness or Nestle malt that sticks and lingers around. A slight offensive flavor.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

I had this on tap at The Catalyst in Fort Collins but this is a review of the bottled version.

It pours a pitch black with a 2 finger head of tan foam.

The smell is a big dose of coffee and an almost as big nose of oak giving me a bitter sweet aroma overall. Nice.

The taste is huge. Lots of coffee permeates my every tastebud. There's plenty of oak flavour as well with side notes of cocoa and vanilla. Hop bitterness is also present. Wow. This a flavour monster! And quite warming though I can't really taste the alcohol. For my personal tastes, the only knock is that the coffee goes a bit overboard. Maybe further tastings will change my mind?

The mouthfeel borders on thick, the carbonation is fairly light, and it finishes on the bitter side with notes of coffee and hops.

Drinkability? It's very tasty but the coffee grinds on my tastebuds after a while so it isn't something I'd want to try to drink back to back. The 1 bottle will do me fine..

Oh and head retention is average but there's lots of sheeting after every sip. It's certainly interesting what GD did with their Oak Aged Yeti.

Edit Dec 15, 2010:

Well, I pulled my last bottle, mistakenly dated as bottled on Feb 13, 2005(I'm guessing it should be Feb 2009) and was amazed at how well the beer has evolved from the fresh product. The coffee flavour has mellowed out but is still dominant but within my range of comfort and the roasted malt just kicks it up a few notches. That, combined with a super tasty roasted malt flavour and a delicious flavour of dark chocolate takes this beer to a new level for me. Outstanding!

No choice but to edit my rating...

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Deep black color. Poured a 2 finger chocolate head with good retention. Big clingy rings of lace.

S: Big semi-sweet dark chocolate and toasted malts. Espresso is clearly donimant to the subdued oak.

T: Big toasted malt flavor up front gently yields to the dark sweet chocolate and espresso. The oak is a bit more evident than in the smell.

M: Full body. Low carbonation. Thick, rich and creamy. Silky smoothness coats the mouth and tongue.

D: This is a big beer - malt and abv. Definitely an dessert beer to savor (slowly).

650ml bomber poured into tulip 18/4/12

A much like the original version this one's black with a large three finger dark tan head that has great retention but this version leaves just some random patches of lace opposed to distinct rings

S chocolate syrup and coco, vanilla, booze, faint citric hops, and not as much espresso as I expected, smells pretty good though with some chocolate pudding

T what I smell but with a heavy blast of espresso, massive even, I'm amazed how much more espresso I taste compared to the smell, cold coffee on the finish almost reminds me of the coffee candies I find in Vietnamese restaurants around here, some dark roast char and wood work well with the espresso

M full but not as full as I would guess from how dark it is, just enough bubbles to give it some life and a little heat, finish is burnt wood and coffee and it lingers for ages

O pretty well rounded stuff going on here, rich, roasted and intense, not quite a Peche Mortal but not too far off

I'm pretty happy with all the Yeti stouts sent by the most awesome Rutager, all solid brews I'd want to drink again and age, I'm wondering how long I'm going to be awake or if there's enough booze in this to put me to sleep

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%

22oz bottle purchased at Julio's, Westboro, MA. Gold foiled cap.

Poured into a heavy glass chalice, formed a 1/2" orangey dark brown head over the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head falls gradually down to an uneven layer of bubbles, with leggy slow-falling lace. Aroma is sweet coffee and light alcohol. Taste starts richly sweet, gives a peek of coffee in the middle, heads out with a coffee bitterness that fades in alcohol warmth. Mouthfeel is quite smooth, with pretty good drinkability for the style. Liked the CHocolate version better.

4.75/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Bright espresso black with a pillowy tan to brown 1” persistent foam cap that grips the side of the glass.
S: Espresso with traces of coffee and faint vanilla.
T: Rich malt with sweet cocoa and vanilla balance with the roast flavors form the malt and the added espresso.
F: Creamy silky smooth with a big body and ine soft carbonation.
O: A delightful beer that improves with age for at least three years.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

22 ounce bottle, 9.5% ABV bottled on February 13, 2009. Served in a snifter, the beer pours black with about an inch frothy brown head. Head retention and lacing are both pretty good. The aroma is very nice, it smells like espresso, roasted malt, milk and dark chocolate, oak, vanilla, and some dark fruit. It tastes like espresso, oak, dark chocolate, roasted malt, piney hops, and vanilla. There's also a lingering bitter hoppy and coffee finish. Mouthfeel/body is full, it's thick, chewy and a bit slick with low/moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, considering how big the beer is. The alcohol does catch up to you after a while! Overall I think this is a good brew that I'd definitely have again in the future.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Black as sin color with a great brown head and even some spotty lacing. Looks pretty carbonated for the style by the foaming I can see on top.

Dry espresso with powdered cacao. No cream aromas to mention. Also lots of super roasted to almost burnt malt aromas. Not to mention some warmth from the abv%. Smells like a dry sipper.

Dry palate from the start that subsides a little at the finish. This beer is burnt bread crust, dark coffee, and some black chocolare powder. Dry, maybe even a little acidic as it warms. Plus the abv% heat. But still a good sipper.

I could not taste any oak or wood flavor in this beer. I wonder what this yeti "WOOD" taste like without the chips???? I think mostly the same.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Man I wanted to try this ever since I saw a bomber for 15 dollars! Found it during the happy hour at Smoking Joe's (south side) for 4.50 12 oz glass CRAZY GOOD DEAL!

A - Jet black with coco head. Pretty impressive.
S - Very mild (man they serve em cold!) coffee smell, similar to morning coffee and cream but it was 6:30 pm lol
T - Near perfect. The undertones of black coffee and cream hit the tongue with a harsh bitterness at first but then rounds to a perfect malt and hop body. First coffee stout I could actually taste hops.
M - Surprisingly for 9.5 it was light and drinkable I totally baby the glass since I wanted to taste to rather than chug.
D - A very smooth brew that I was very happy to try. Pitty how expensive it is around here but I will rue the day when bombers around my town are all under 10 bucks (sigh day will never come...)

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter. Label says Bottled on Dec 20 2010. Over a year old...yes!

A- Pours the blackest of blacks with a full finger's worth of dark tan head that retains and eventually disperses to a 1/4 inch ring around the edge of the glass along with full trails of lacing.

S- Smells of burnt wood and dark chocolate. Not getting much coffee aroma though. It's there, just not very apparent.

T- The espresso comes through in the flavor well though. Burnt coffee mixed with dark chocolate, some smoky char notes and a metallic aftertaste which fades after a few sips. The alcohol has certainly mellowed out after a year of being in the bottle. It's well-hidden now, making for a very smooth drink. The oak also is more calm than in other younger Oak-Aged Yeti incarnations I've recently had.

M- Substantially thick with medium carbonation that provides a more lively feel.

O- A great take on the Yeti that only gets better with age.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a completely thick consistency. There was an inch of creamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: A strong aroma of espresso, along with chocolate and malt. Very aggressive and powerful.

T: Tasted of espresso above everything else, but there were also hints of chocolate, malt, and a woody component. Complex, with a big, bold flavor.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: Like all of Great Divide's Yetis, this one is very tasty and incredibly drinkable.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on March 05, 2009.

(A)- Pours thick & black as night. Produced an incredibly large & fluffy/billowy dark brown head that isnt going anywhere; its clinging to every inch of the sides of the glass as it barely dissipates.

(S)- Rich vanilla, brown sugar, molasses, raisin, butterscotch, & a spice I cant pinpoint; cinnamon?(Must be from the Oak). Simply gorgeous & wonderful. Just the tiniest hint of roasted coffee grounds.

(T)- Not much espresso in this, but has a great mildly sweet molasses & brown sugar maltiness that melds into a delicate dry oaky vanilla finish. Dynamic and silky smooth with no harshness; just a bit of roastedness in the middle.

(M)- One of the smoothest stouts I may have ever had. Fantastic alcohol integration & balance. Not too sweet, not too malty, not too bitter, just a perfect combination that is layered here and there.

(D)- Simply a remarkable stout! I am slightly disappointed that there isnt much espresso in this, but I quickly forgot that when I smelled and tasted this. Simply amazing! This bottle did not last long at all! Every Yeti I have had has been fantastic, but this one with almost a year of age on it is nearly orgasmic. I am excited to see what further aging will do to it. Now. . . where can I find a case?

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Deep dark nearly fully black but some brown highlights notes. Small, quickly disapearing khaki head, decent lacing.

S: Medium roasted espresso, bittersweet chocolate. Oak trails in the rear.

T: Follows the scent with medium roasted espresso, bittersweet chocolate... oak and vanilla in the rear. Some brown sugar/maple syrup like sweetness.

M: Medium bodied, lightly carbonated, silky smooth, non coating, nice mellow oaky aftertaste

D: Definitely better than the chocolate which lacked a full flavor profile. THe esspresso is muted compared to other coffee beers. Complex and smooth enough to enjoy more.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bomber poured into snifter.

Appearance: black with a brown head. 2 plus head and great lacing! Looks great!

Smell: Smells of roasty coffee!

Taste: An explosion of robust and bitter coffee. Some oak & vanilla tones. Then, even more coffee flavor roasty and bitter.

Feel: Silky & smooth; great mouthfeel. Medium to heavy body.

Drinkability: very drinkable for the style! Alcohol well hidden.

Solid beer, love it. Wish i bought a 2nd bomber to put in the beer cellar.

Pours a oil-slick black color with a very thick brown head that fades down to a one-finger head.

Aroma is creamy with a good dose of coffee in the nose. A bit of chocolate shows underneath the nose as well. I can't smell any oak but otherwise, very nice aroma.

Taste is creamy upfront and gives way to dark fruits and cocoa in the middle. Wow. The coffee character is here but it in no way overwhelms the other flavors. Wow. Again, I'm impressed here.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering bitter coffee, cream and chocolate flavors.

Holy Shit! I'm so glad I picked this up. I love the flavors and the mouthfeel is just where I like it. It's got the right amount of creaminess and the other flavors seem well balanced as well. I'm not sure if you can do better than this. Would improve even more with age. Very, very, very nice. I will be seeking this out the next time I go to Mass.

Don't worry about the rating. This is one hell of a beer that deserves its' marks. I can't wait to open the bottles of 2007 Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti that I have.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Max's

A: Pitch black with a dark brown head with excellent retention.

S: Coffee, cream, oak, vanilla, roasted notes, nuts and a rather surprising sour note, almost sour-cream like

T: Excellent coffee balanced with a great creaminess, burnt and roasted malts. Bitter finish

ML Full bodied and great finish with good carbonation

D: This goes down too easy

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: 1/2 inch light chocolate head, black in color

Smell: burnt malt, oak, expresso and chocolate

Taste: a creamy start, chocolate, expresso, then a long oak taste, with a coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium to heavy in body, moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This is a good beer, but probably my least favorite of the three Yeti's that I have tried. It almost tastes like a Baltic porter/RIS mix, which I do not get with the other Yeti's...A good beer which I would like to have again, but for the price one is enough.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Acquired a few of these in trades/extras recently, so thanks to all!

Pours a clear dark reddish brown, verging on black, very thick light brown/tan head forms, quickly settles to a medium layer and ring around the glass, drops some nice lace sheets on the glass. Smell is real nice, like oak aged Yeti, but with espresso, caramel, lots of roast, chocolate, vanilla, subtle oak, some floral and piney hops, fruit, raisins, molasses and brown sugar. Taste is very roast, lots of heavy espresso and dark chocolate, oak, vanilla, dark fruit, like a chocolate covered coffee bean, some floral hops, dry and biscuity in the finish, pretty heavy bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation, some warmth from the alcohol, but quite nice. Thanks to everyone!

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Bottled 12/13/10.
A: Completely black. You couldn't shine a flashlight through it. A finger of creamy mocha head from a gentle pour.
S: Fresh ground coffee. Cocoa. Some hops.
T: Chocolate and a tea like hop flavor immediately. Picking up some alcohol but nothing over powering. I enjoy the espresso & hot after taste.
Big fan of this one.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

22oz bomber served in a snifter

Let me preface this by saying that the Oak Yeti is one of my favorite RIS's and in my opinion had little room to improve. Needless to say, I had high expectations for this.

Appears almost an ink black with the darkest brown cap I have ever seen, a wet sand color. A little bit of lace, but nothing too impressive with a decent amount of staying power considering the oil from espresso/coffee beans usually hurts in that area.

Smell is of deep roasted espresso, plums, cherries, vanilla, bittersweet dark belgian chocolate malt balls, and a decent amount of booze. The espresso dominates.

The flavor profile mimics the nose very closely, only the espresso beans lend an oily espresso layer that, for me, is too much. It detracts from the goodness of all of the other flavors. The chocolate is more pronounced throughout the middle, but the espresso begins and ends the experience. The fruits and sweet vanilla dance and dart their way through the deep roasted flavor and espresso. It's almost like they poured espresso into the beer. However, the base is so good, I can't give it lower than a 4.

The mouthfeel is thick and velvety. All of the Yeti beers have a near perfect mouthfeel. Rich and decadent.

The espresso hurts the drinkability. Everything else is so good though.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Pours totally jet black in color with a generous one fingered toffee colored head. The lacing sticks to the sides of the glass and clings like glue.

S - Dominated by expresso and coffee, bitter chocolate, and with a mild smokey character.

T - The name lives up to the taste. This beer is a big time, in your face type of coffee/expresso stout. Expresso flavor totally dominates...and I do mean DOMINATES! There's a mild bitter chocolate, somewhat smokey flavor with alot of charcoal mixed in. Burnt malt in the back ground leaves a sticky, mouthsmacking impression of just sucking down a mouthful of raw coffee beans. Pour this in place of your morning cup of java and it will definitely kick start your day!

M - A little chewy, thick, full bodied, and rich.

D - I couldn't drink more than one. I'm not a fan of coffee, but I do enjoy Imperial Stouts and this is definitely worth checking out. I'd have to say this is the biggest and strongest coffee flavored beer I've had to date.

3.99/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle opened on 10.25.13
Bottled: Jan 14 2011

A - Pours a dark brown with a dark brown silky head with good retention.

S - Subtle coffee, chocolate, wood.

T - Coffee and a oaky punch to the mouth.

D - Good carbonation with a medium body.

O - Lots of coffee and oak. A bit of a sharp finish.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company