Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Reviews: 1,052 | Ratings: 3,697
4.79/5  rDev +13%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: 22 oz split between me and the girlfriend

Pours pitch black with brown bubbles. Heavy coffee, milk chocolate, small alcohol scent, mild roastiness. Taste reflects the smell. Initial coffee and dark chocolate tastes lead into a pleasant herbal and coffee roastiness that finishes with a lingering sweetness and alcohol burn. Feel is thick and slick, just enough carbonation to not be completely flat. Overall this is a good beer with great coffee aspects.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Bomber poured into a white wine goblet. Cola black-brown with almost no head at all. Dark mocha oil-sheen residue of head. Viscus on the side of the glass when swirled.

Smells roasty, burnt, definite spent espresso grounds. Oaky vanilla and warm tingle from the alcohol.

Tastes of burnt coffee, earthy, tobacco, bitter, dry, heavy toasted oak, traces of vanilla, warm finish.

Full bodied, surprising carbonation after no sign of it in the pour.

This stuff is top notch. Yeti is great and this is one of the better variations of it. A must try.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pitch black with a few inches of espresso/dark brown head.
Smells of strong espresso and chocolate.
Tastes very creamy and the espresso has a nice kick to it.
Medium amount of carbonation.
A very good stout. Highly recommend it!

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Bottled on December 15, 2010, enjoyed on February 20, 2011.

A - Pours an opaque pitch black with a large chocolate milk colored head. Leaves excellent lacing. Good looking beer.

S - Smell is a lot of the dark chocolate found in the normal Yeti. Accompanied by some roasted malts and some coffee.

T - Begins chocolatey with some roasty bitterness and has a coffee-like finish. The coffee taste feels kind of synthetic however and takes away from it's taste score slightly. Also leaves a pretty dry dark chocolate taste on the tongue for a while.

M/D - This is a rich beer but it still has decent drinkability.

I enjoyed this beer but I'd probably reach for a normal Yeti before this one again.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bottle, this Yeti has got to be the thickest beer I've ever poured. It looks like melted chocolate flowing into my glass. Jet black in color with a finger of brown foamy head. Excellent head retention, and lots of lacing are left after each sip.

The aroma is loaded with coffee/espresso, dark roasty malt, wet oak, and hints of alcohol. A good swirl releases moderate amounts of alcohol sweetness ranging from chocolate, dark fruit, and licorice.

The flavor is of smooth velvety chocolate and coffee with undertones of vanilla, oak, and sweet fruit. The finish has a lingering dark chocolate bitterness and perhaps a bitter hop character. It's baffling how smooth and rich this beer is. Definitely way too drinkable for it's own good; but I guess having the consistency of spent engine oil is only helping the cause. It's so sludgy that I bet it would cure a sore throat.

Granted, I haven't had KBS, CBS, or BCBS, regardless of that, this is definitely the best stout I've ever had. The regular Yeti is phenomenal on it's own, but the espresso and oak aging give it some serious oomph. Good lord is it delicious, and man is it squatchy.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottled on 12/13/10. Poured into the KBS snifter, while listening to The Pogues' If I should Fall From the Grace of God, after finally figuring why the new turntable wouldn't work (Damnit Ion, if I'm not supposed to put the input jacks into the phono spot, maybe you should tell me somewhere!)

A - Almost black with dark, dark brown tints. Reddish-brown head with good retention and lacing.

S - Glad to be greeted by the stubble vanilla sweetness under the hammer of roasted malt and chocolate that for me is the calling card of the Oak-Aged Yeties. They also did a great job of making the slight acidity and mild fresh-roast coffee flavors come though, without making the beer over-spiced.

T - Man the espresso is expressive in this beer! Lots of coffee dryness and acidity, but not so much that it takes away from the big roasted malt, smoke, light fruity esters, and alcohol bite that makes Yeti such a great imperial stout to begin with (wow, can you say run-on sentence.) I do not notice a ton of oakiness in the flavor, maybe a little sweet toastiness.

M - Where I do detect the oak is in the mouthfeel. The body is incredibly soft for a beer of this size, and seems to help soften the assertive alcohol presence a bit.

D - I don't often feel this way about American Imperial Stouts anymore, but I am going to say that this is craft brewing at it's best, extreme, classic, and a work of art. Plenty of expressive flavors, with great balance and fantastic use of the different ingredients. It's not just a great barrel aged beer, not just a great coffee stout, and not just a great big imperial stout, but all combined to make a well planned and executed beer.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

As an occasional espresso consumer & coffee nerd I felt this was something I needed to try before cellaring one.
I'm running out of space the allotted me in the apartment.

Bottle dated Feb. 2009
Inky Black. Decent retention. Creamy sticky foam.

Smells of chocolaty coffee.

Decadently bitter. A coffee version IPA?

First sip filled with the promise of a caffeine buzz. A bit Chalky.
Hints of Grapefruit and bold coffee flavor. Warming heat from some alcohol. May become less hot over time.

Begs to be paired with eggs, bacon.
This would really make the perfect english breakfast.

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle date says 2/12/2010. Pitch black hue. Bronze two finger head. Smells of chocolate dipped coffee beans, amazing aroma. Minimal carbonation leads way to a cream full, but not dense, body. Roasted flavors not too overbearing, the coffee is taking the lead. What is nice is that this beer has it's flavors under control. I don't have a hard time telling apart the coffee flavors from the stout. Sticky sensations lingers on my lips while it feels like I just took a sip of coffee. There a little hint of wood in the bite. it blends with the coffee, it takes a few sips to realize the oak is there. It's a good blend, not the best, but pleasant enough. This here seems like one of the few specialty beers that has its additions under control. I definitely imagined this beer being a little more over the top (super roasty, hoppy, just brutal) but I'm glad it wasn't. At 9.5% don't wait for this beer to age, it's good now.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

bottle courtesy of nickd717

S: espresso/coffee, vanilla, oak, choc

A: Black w/min brn head

T: Really roasty, dominating, oak, coffee, finishing with a subdued but noticeable etoh presence.

M: Medium... a little thin for flavors

D: Pretty sweet and strong, but not so much as to hurt drinkability.

Overall: My favorite yeti version of the 4 I've had. I recommend!

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer surprised me. I was at Cable Beverage looking around and I spotted this. I'd never tried it myself but I'd heard good things so I scopped it up. Damn glad I did, Luved it. Excellent pour with deep flavor. Highly recommend.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

A_ Pours black with a dark brown billowy head.Thick lacing sticks to the glass and the head stays the whole way down.

S_Roasted malt,dark chocolate,vanilla , and rich coffee. The coffee is by no means overpowering.

T_Dark chocolate and espresso are rounded out by the earthy,woody, oak. This very rich and balanced. Very roasty.

M_Thick and creamy. Very smooth.

D_A bomber is certainly no problem to drink. I cant help but savour this one though.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti Bottled 1/10/2011

Appearance: IRS black, the head is one inch and mocha colored; in my opinion mocha colored creamy heads on IRS’ are always a good sign!! It looks like a tamer Abyss. The lacing is fantastic!

Aroma: A bit or bourbon or perhaps mostly the oak character, also a good amount of dark bitter chocolate. I don’t really detect coffee in this one.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied to full mouthfeel, not overly thick but thick enough to garner respect.

Taste: The upfront taste is of oak and bourbon, a decent amount of chocolate and again only a minimal amount of coffee.

Overall: This is supposed to be an espresso stout; but, I can not taste a significant amount of espresso in this beer. Nevertheless, the oak, chocolate, and mouth-feel make up for that in a big way. This beer can be thought of as a lighter Abyss, less complex but much more drinkable! I will age a couple of bottles for at least two years!! I think the next time I have this beer it will pour muddier, smoother and way more chocolaty, I cant wait!!

3.76/5  rDev -11.3%

A - Pours a beautiful black with a deep brown thick head. Deep brown on the edges. Tiny bubbles form a thick head and some stick on the glass. Probably one of the nicest looking beers I've seen.

S - Espresso, chocolate and oak are heavy up front with the espresso taking the lead. Smells like freshly brewed coffee.

T - Coffee bitterness gives way to a dry oaky finish. Milk chocolate in the middle is brief. Long and dry finish due to the oak. This is a very strong brew up front and in the back...overwhelms the middle flavors.

M - Rich and full bodied. Great carb, very dry. The driness sticks on the toungue for a very long aftertaste.

O - Overall a nice beer. Almost unbalanced due to the strength of the coffee up front and oak in the back.

750 ml bottle marked 12/19/2011 poured into a pint glass on 1/31/12.

Appearance: A rich dark brown that is totally opaque. One finger of an espresso colored head sits on top, but quickly recedes.

Smell: Roasted caramel malts and big coffee notes. Some chocolate in there as well, making me feel like I'm about to have dessert.

Taste: Bold roasted coffee flavors with significant malty sweetness. Finishes with a very mild hop bitterness and the alcohol hits too.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and average carbonation.

Overall: If you enjoy a cup of joe, you're probably going to like this version of Yeti. The coffee flavors definitely highlight the experience.

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

A- jet black with a two finger mocha head. ample sticky lacing. looks pretty viscous.

S- tons of oak, booze, chocolate syrup, baking cocoa, and heaps of espresso. also, a surprisingly strong hop presence, piney and citric even.

T- real oaky, slight lactic/milky component too, caught me off guard. dark fruits and straight espresso grounds. as bitter and dry as any stout i've had. the bitter hops add a nice element as well. earthy, but finishes with a hint of sweetness.

M- very good for the style, creamy not as this as regular yeti.

O- definitely seek this out as the price is right and it's well above the average off-the-shelf stout. love what the coffee did to this one, but that's not to say that oak aged and regular yeti aren't great on their own. will be picking up a few bottles tomorrow, highly similar to BORIS.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

A typical chocolate/coffee flavored but somehow 'deep' and 'dry' Imperial Stout

(review from notes)

A: Absolute black body, no highlights whatsoever, with a very persistent one finger beige head. Had I been able to coax a bit more head out of this crew, appearance would have been perfect.

S: Fairly typical for the style... a very well balanced blend of dark fruit, cocoa, and coffee. Not much hops... not freaking me out, but very pleasant.

T: Again, typical flavors of coffee and cocoa, but the dark fruit takes a back seat to a surprise appearance from full piney hops. What's special about this beer however is the 'depth' and dryness of the flavor. If I return to this beer, it will be for those two hard to define qualities.

M: I do not have notes on this dimension, but I can say that I definitely had no complaints.

D: Again, no notes as to this aspect, but I clearly remember a remarkably easy experience.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

A - pours opaque black with a nice, big milk chocolate colored head. A small, thin head remains with heavy lacing.

S - Obvious expresso and coffee grounds with fair amount of hop aroma.

T - All of the usual suspects are here - expresso, dark chocolate, roasty malts with a touch of molasses. The finish is quite bitter with lots of dark chocolate and dark coffee.

M - the carbonation is spot on, but this feels a little thin to me for an imperial stout.

D - Very enjoyable beer right here, but if you are not a coffee drinker, this will be overwhelming. Coiffee is still a little hot...

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

We cracked this amongst other fantastic beers at a birthday party for djmiller92.

Poured a very black fluid with absolutely no light penetration. A substantial tan head of two finger width formed atop the beer from a mildly assertive pour.

The smell was intoxicating with a slight chocolate and caramel sweetness buoyed by the incredible roasty coffee and espresso dominance.

The taste had varying levels of awesomeness. To start you get a roasty bitterness that permeates every taste bud in the mouth. Then a creamy sweetish malty middle relieves the bitterness only to relinquish control back to a bitter coffee finish that continues into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Fully bodied coupled with a healthy amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is tough because there is such an overwhelming coffee/roasty bitterness. For big flavor beer lovers, this will be a welcome addition, but others may find it staggeringly bitter.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Jet black with a bubbly and dark, two-finger head that seems forced up by the mass of beer below.

Big coffee smell with a lot of chocolate too. Deep, rich, sweet malts. Also a nice zesty scent, almost like lemon or citrus.

Holy smokes that's a rich beer. Huge coffee tastes. Almost overpowering. The coffee powers through a sturdy malt body. I actually think this is waking me up. Unbelievable coffee. Very dry finish. The vanilla oak taste breaks through in the aftertaste.

This is a good beer, but you must like coffee to enjoy it.

3.33/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours very dark, with a dense, frothy head ... one of the best looking pours I've seen ... strikingly beautiful. Smell is sweet, chocolate, coffee, light hops ... very inviting. However the taste seems unbalanced and harsh. A bitterness arises immediately at mouth entry, strengthens as the taste buds are activated and persists long after the beer has exited the mouth. I wished it tasted like it smelled:(
Great Divide, if you are reading this, please create a beer without such a strong hop bite ... it will be a hit!

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

When poured you cannot see through it even when held up to the sun. It has a very dark color, almost black, yet of the darkest brown. The head was not too much, about 2 fingers high.

I recommend taking in a full inhalation in order to get a proper smell of it. I disliked the smell when doing so at first but then found that if I took in a full whiff then I found out the entire aroma. Smells strongly of coffee...and that's exactly how it tastes.

I was a bit disappointed by the initial flavor, or lack of, but in the middle is the intense coffee taste with lingering smokiness, vanilla, and at then end of strong bitter coffee. It was too bitter for my taste but I'm not much of a coffee fan.

If you love coffee though I would definitely recommend this. I also recommend eating something with it because it is so profound in its espresso flavor.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

2005 Vintage. Thanks to Pawel for the awesome extra!

So I opened this last night and after a couple sips decided to read the bottle because it was wonderfully complex, but didn't seem as hoppy as I thought it would be (based on Yeti and Barrel-Aged yeti). It turns out that I accidentally opened a four-year old bottle, but I loved every sip of it!

A- Pours pitch black with a heavy cascading dark, chocolatey-brown head that reduces to a thin sheet over the beer, leaving sitcky splotches of lacing behind on the snifter.

S- Wow. Roasted barley and tons of malt with a big vanilla presence. Chocolate-covered malt balls with a mild oak presence. Dark-roasted coffee and a subtle warming bourbon smell.

T- Well-balanced. Mild bitterness from dark-roasted espresso and still some hop bitterness. Roasty bitterness and sweet malt. Lots of cocoa. Slightly creamy tasting with hints of vanilla.

M- Big and sticky, but not hot at all...could have always been that way, but it could also be the 4 years of aging

D- I sipped on this one for nearly two hours to get through the bomber, but it was fantastic anyway.

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Thick, thick cocoa head. Took 4 pours to fill oversized wine glass. Lacing is very heavy and sparkling like it has diamonds in it. Could be because I don't usually drink beer 10 am.

S: Burnt coffee and strong chocolate notes.

T: Beautiful sweet chocolate taste that does overpower the coffee just enough to edge it out into the sweet and malty side. Bit of a hop bite in the aftertaste but more coffee aftertaste than anything.

M: Nice carbonation. Better than most RIS as this one just seems thicker to me than most.

D: I could drink on this stuff all day. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Maybe even midnight snack.

My first oak aged brew and it didn't disappoint at all. This edges out Old Raspy and Founders IMO. If you are a fan of the style then I highly recommend this.

3.46/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Awesome deep black color with brown foamy head, the nose is all espresso. Taste is a major dose of coffee as is expected, but it does not overwhelm, and as it warms more subtle notes of vanilla and regular yeti come through, although I did not get any oak. Solid on tap, but a bit too expensive overall.

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this the other night at RFD in D.C. and it was definitely an interesting brew. Everyone loved the bottle and was taking pictures with it threw the night in different spots in RFD. Poured into a pint glass and immediately you see the very dark brew pour out with a lovely brown chocolate head forming. Smell was of Espresso and Chocolate. Taste was over the top Espresso, with chocolate. Towards the end of the brew I was hit with some bitterness and fruit flavors. The brew it's self was very interesting and I was glad that I had it, but for $20 at the place was allot to pay for it. The Espresso flavor is very very dominate threw out the beer, so make you keep that in mind and that you are up for the blast. At the time I was honestly not able to finish it due to the overwhelming strong taste of Espresso, but i am sure more serious stout drinkers would have little problem with it.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company