Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

A generous infusion of Denver's own Pablo's espresso adds yet another layer of complexity to this beer, combining with the vanilla oak character, intense roasty maltiness and bold hop profile to create a whole new breed of mythical creature. It's official: You can now have Yeti with breakfast.

Added by John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,055 | Ratings: 3,720
4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Had on tap at Max's Taphouse in Baltimore MD on 1-28-12.
Review from notes.

A- Black, no light getting through on this one. A good solid tan one finger head. Gorgeous lacing along the glass.

S- Beer sat on the bar for about 10 minutes to allow it a chance to warm up from the tap. Suddenly I start to smell fresh dark roast coffee. It's like someone just ground up the bean under my nose. Upon further examination I found notes of coffee, cream and plenty of chocolate.

T- HUGE espresso up front with roasted malt and a hint of chocolate. Has a touch of bitter and smoke on the finish.

M- Has a numbing tingly feel like you touched ambisol to you lips. Big bold creamy.

O- Waves of emotion came over me with this beer. Absolutely soothing flavors and aromas. Just perfect.

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours pitch black, with one finger of some of the darkest brown head I've ever seen. The head dissipated surprisingly slowly, and left blankets of lacing. About as good as an imperial stout can look.

Smell: Surprisingly sweet. The coffee is there, but it smells more like a cappuccino or other sweet coffee drink rather than espresso. Hints of alcohol as well.

Taste: Oak and hops are the two dominant flavors - this is a very hoppy stout, and the oak is more evident than in most other beers. Not as much of a coffee flavor as I was expecting - it's there, but seems to blend into the background. I think the oak/hops are a bit overpowering. It's definitely a good beer, but I would have liked to see the espresso flavors come through a little more. Alcohol is noticeable as well.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy. Carbonation might be a tad high.

Drinkability: I enjoyed this beer, but I was a bit let down by the lack of espresso/coffee flavors. I wish I had a regular oak aged yeti to compare it to, so I could try to notice the differences. Still, a very enjoyable beer, and one I would have again. It was not a chore at all to drink the whole bomber.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A - Dark, dark beer, black almost, incredible head, thick, frothy head that hangs around for as long time and leaves a very thick billowy lace.

S - First thing that hits me is actually a hops aroma followed by coffee and then some chocloate.

T - Wicked taste of roasted/smoked malts, coffee and chocolate with almost a piney finish. Kind of get hints of the oak

M - Creamy, mild carbonation

O - Weighing in at 9.5% ABV, a fairly heavy hitter, good brew for this cold snowy day. Lost of character.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pitch black with a few inches of espresso/dark brown head.
Smells of strong espresso and chocolate.
Tastes very creamy and the espresso has a nice kick to it.
Medium amount of carbonation.
A very good stout. Highly recommend it!

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 650ML bottle into my Sam Adams 16oz bulb pint glass.

A: Pours a very deep, murky brown almost black; sloshes into the glass - thick, almost sludge like. Small, khaki head forms on top but is quickly pulled back down into the body of this stout. Completely opaque - looks ominous in the glass. Very fine, khaki colored lacing clings to the glass.

S: Really picking up a heavy espresso note (Denver's Pablo's espresso), followed by bitter dark chocolate. Huge roasted notes. I can also pick up a faint sweetness that reminds me of vanilla beans and maybe just the slightest hint of burnt/caramelized sugar. Very aromatic.

T: Huge espresso flavor, roasted coffee beans and bitter dark chocolate - think Ghirardelli baking chocolate - hit the palate in an overpowering wave of flavor. Mid sip, I really start to pick up a distinct, earthy oak note, followed by a mellowing vanilla flavor. Then just as you think the flavor profile is receding, the espresso notes come back for a second go around, along with a milder, milk chocolate/hot chocolate hint. The finish leaves a lingering roasted coffee flavor with some residual chocolaty sweetness. Very pleasant even as the espresso note dominates the palate and keeps all the other wonderful flavors playing second fiddle.

M: Low carbonation. Thick, chewy mouthfeel - very smooth. This beer coats the class and it also coats the mouth and throat on the way down. Very pleasing and exactly what I expect from a big stout.

D: At 9.5% ABV I know the booze is in there, but at the start of this glass, its really not hitting me very hard. As the glass warms, I begin to get a warming sensation deep within, but I never really get a spicy, peppery alcohol flavor - its hidden quite easily by the huge espresso flavor. Still, this beer is a sipper, just because it is deceivingly strong.

Overall, I am very impressed. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the original Yeti, but since I am a fan of coffee-flavored stouts (FBS, KBS, etc.), the Espresso OAY seemed like a no brainer for me. I'm very glad I picked up this beer. This is an outstanding imperial stout, and one of the best coffee-themed beers I've ever tasted. Savory, decadent and totally worth the price of admission. I would really like to grab another bottle of this to age for the future, as well as trying the original Yeti and it's Oak-aged variant for comparison.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Bomber poured into a white wine goblet. Cola black-brown with almost no head at all. Dark mocha oil-sheen residue of head. Viscus on the side of the glass when swirled.

Smells roasty, burnt, definite spent espresso grounds. Oaky vanilla and warm tingle from the alcohol.

Tastes of burnt coffee, earthy, tobacco, bitter, dry, heavy toasted oak, traces of vanilla, warm finish.

Full bodied, surprising carbonation after no sign of it in the pour.

This stuff is top notch. Yeti is great and this is one of the better variations of it. A must try.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with a big brown head. Retention is good and lacing is decent.

S:Bakers chocolate. Some prune and grape. Coffee note is a bit small compared to the chocolate.

T: Big sugary sweet cafe mocha upfront. A slightly bitter roasted malt and black coffee come in about halfway and linger on into the aftertaste.

M: Medium-full mouthfeel with low carbonation. Smooth and wet.

O: Good sweet coffee imp. stout that's well priced.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Bottled on December 15, 2010, enjoyed on February 20, 2011.

A - Pours an opaque pitch black with a large chocolate milk colored head. Leaves excellent lacing. Good looking beer.

S - Smell is a lot of the dark chocolate found in the normal Yeti. Accompanied by some roasted malts and some coffee.

T - Begins chocolatey with some roasty bitterness and has a coffee-like finish. The coffee taste feels kind of synthetic however and takes away from it's taste score slightly. Also leaves a pretty dry dark chocolate taste on the tongue for a while.

M/D - This is a rich beer but it still has decent drinkability.

I enjoyed this beer but I'd probably reach for a normal Yeti before this one again.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bottle, this Yeti has got to be the thickest beer I've ever poured. It looks like melted chocolate flowing into my glass. Jet black in color with a finger of brown foamy head. Excellent head retention, and lots of lacing are left after each sip.

The aroma is loaded with coffee/espresso, dark roasty malt, wet oak, and hints of alcohol. A good swirl releases moderate amounts of alcohol sweetness ranging from chocolate, dark fruit, and licorice.

The flavor is of smooth velvety chocolate and coffee with undertones of vanilla, oak, and sweet fruit. The finish has a lingering dark chocolate bitterness and perhaps a bitter hop character. It's baffling how smooth and rich this beer is. Definitely way too drinkable for it's own good; but I guess having the consistency of spent engine oil is only helping the cause. It's so sludgy that I bet it would cure a sore throat.

Granted, I haven't had KBS, CBS, or BCBS, regardless of that, this is definitely the best stout I've ever had. The regular Yeti is phenomenal on it's own, but the espresso and oak aging give it some serious oomph. Good lord is it delicious, and man is it squatchy.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottled on 12/13/10. Poured into the KBS snifter, while listening to The Pogues' If I should Fall From the Grace of God, after finally figuring why the new turntable wouldn't work (Damnit Ion, if I'm not supposed to put the input jacks into the phono spot, maybe you should tell me somewhere!)

A - Almost black with dark, dark brown tints. Reddish-brown head with good retention and lacing.

S - Glad to be greeted by the stubble vanilla sweetness under the hammer of roasted malt and chocolate that for me is the calling card of the Oak-Aged Yeties. They also did a great job of making the slight acidity and mild fresh-roast coffee flavors come though, without making the beer over-spiced.

T - Man the espresso is expressive in this beer! Lots of coffee dryness and acidity, but not so much that it takes away from the big roasted malt, smoke, light fruity esters, and alcohol bite that makes Yeti such a great imperial stout to begin with (wow, can you say run-on sentence.) I do not notice a ton of oakiness in the flavor, maybe a little sweet toastiness.

M - Where I do detect the oak is in the mouthfeel. The body is incredibly soft for a beer of this size, and seems to help soften the assertive alcohol presence a bit.

D - I don't often feel this way about American Imperial Stouts anymore, but I am going to say that this is craft brewing at it's best, extreme, classic, and a work of art. Plenty of expressive flavors, with great balance and fantastic use of the different ingredients. It's not just a great barrel aged beer, not just a great coffee stout, and not just a great big imperial stout, but all combined to make a well planned and executed beer.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

As an occasional espresso consumer & coffee nerd I felt this was something I needed to try before cellaring one.
I'm running out of space the allotted me in the apartment.

Bottle dated Feb. 2009
Inky Black. Decent retention. Creamy sticky foam.

Smells of chocolaty coffee.

Decadently bitter. A coffee version IPA?

First sip filled with the promise of a caffeine buzz. A bit Chalky.
Hints of Grapefruit and bold coffee flavor. Warming heat from some alcohol. May become less hot over time.

Begs to be paired with eggs, bacon.
This would really make the perfect english breakfast.

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle date says 2/12/2010. Pitch black hue. Bronze two finger head. Smells of chocolate dipped coffee beans, amazing aroma. Minimal carbonation leads way to a cream full, but not dense, body. Roasted flavors not too overbearing, the coffee is taking the lead. What is nice is that this beer has it's flavors under control. I don't have a hard time telling apart the coffee flavors from the stout. Sticky sensations lingers on my lips while it feels like I just took a sip of coffee. There a little hint of wood in the bite. it blends with the coffee, it takes a few sips to realize the oak is there. It's a good blend, not the best, but pleasant enough. This here seems like one of the few specialty beers that has its additions under control. I definitely imagined this beer being a little more over the top (super roasty, hoppy, just brutal) but I'm glad it wasn't. At 9.5% don't wait for this beer to age, it's good now.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

bottle courtesy of nickd717

S: espresso/coffee, vanilla, oak, choc

A: Black w/min brn head

T: Really roasty, dominating, oak, coffee, finishing with a subdued but noticeable etoh presence.

M: Medium... a little thin for flavors

D: Pretty sweet and strong, but not so much as to hurt drinkability.

Overall: My favorite yeti version of the 4 I've had. I recommend!

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

A- jet black with a two finger mocha head. ample sticky lacing. looks pretty viscous.

S- tons of oak, booze, chocolate syrup, baking cocoa, and heaps of espresso. also, a surprisingly strong hop presence, piney and citric even.

T- real oaky, slight lactic/milky component too, caught me off guard. dark fruits and straight espresso grounds. as bitter and dry as any stout i've had. the bitter hops add a nice element as well. earthy, but finishes with a hint of sweetness.

M- very good for the style, creamy not as this as regular yeti.

O- definitely seek this out as the price is right and it's well above the average off-the-shelf stout. love what the coffee did to this one, but that's not to say that oak aged and regular yeti aren't great on their own. will be picking up a few bottles tomorrow, highly similar to BORIS.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

A_ Pours black with a dark brown billowy head.Thick lacing sticks to the glass and the head stays the whole way down.

S_Roasted malt,dark chocolate,vanilla , and rich coffee. The coffee is by no means overpowering.

T_Dark chocolate and espresso are rounded out by the earthy,woody, oak. This very rich and balanced. Very roasty.

M_Thick and creamy. Very smooth.

D_A bomber is certainly no problem to drink. I cant help but savour this one though.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti Bottled 1/10/2011

Appearance: IRS black, the head is one inch and mocha colored; in my opinion mocha colored creamy heads on IRS’ are always a good sign!! It looks like a tamer Abyss. The lacing is fantastic!

Aroma: A bit or bourbon or perhaps mostly the oak character, also a good amount of dark bitter chocolate. I don’t really detect coffee in this one.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied to full mouthfeel, not overly thick but thick enough to garner respect.

Taste: The upfront taste is of oak and bourbon, a decent amount of chocolate and again only a minimal amount of coffee.

Overall: This is supposed to be an espresso stout; but, I can not taste a significant amount of espresso in this beer. Nevertheless, the oak, chocolate, and mouth-feel make up for that in a big way. This beer can be thought of as a lighter Abyss, less complex but much more drinkable! I will age a couple of bottles for at least two years!! I think the next time I have this beer it will pour muddier, smoother and way more chocolaty, I cant wait!!

3.76/5  rDev -11.3%

A - Pours a beautiful black with a deep brown thick head. Deep brown on the edges. Tiny bubbles form a thick head and some stick on the glass. Probably one of the nicest looking beers I've seen.

S - Espresso, chocolate and oak are heavy up front with the espresso taking the lead. Smells like freshly brewed coffee.

T - Coffee bitterness gives way to a dry oaky finish. Milk chocolate in the middle is brief. Long and dry finish due to the oak. This is a very strong brew up front and in the back...overwhelms the middle flavors.

M - Rich and full bodied. Great carb, very dry. The driness sticks on the toungue for a very long aftertaste.

O - Overall a nice beer. Almost unbalanced due to the strength of the coffee up front and oak in the back.

750 ml bottle marked 12/19/2011 poured into a pint glass on 1/31/12.

Appearance: A rich dark brown that is totally opaque. One finger of an espresso colored head sits on top, but quickly recedes.

Smell: Roasted caramel malts and big coffee notes. Some chocolate in there as well, making me feel like I'm about to have dessert.

Taste: Bold roasted coffee flavors with significant malty sweetness. Finishes with a very mild hop bitterness and the alcohol hits too.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and average carbonation.

Overall: If you enjoy a cup of joe, you're probably going to like this version of Yeti. The coffee flavors definitely highlight the experience.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

A typical chocolate/coffee flavored but somehow 'deep' and 'dry' Imperial Stout

---
(review from notes)

A: Absolute black body, no highlights whatsoever, with a very persistent one finger beige head. Had I been able to coax a bit more head out of this crew, appearance would have been perfect.

S: Fairly typical for the style... a very well balanced blend of dark fruit, cocoa, and coffee. Not much hops... not freaking me out, but very pleasant.

T: Again, typical flavors of coffee and cocoa, but the dark fruit takes a back seat to a surprise appearance from full piney hops. What's special about this beer however is the 'depth' and dryness of the flavor. If I return to this beer, it will be for those two hard to define qualities.

M: I do not have notes on this dimension, but I can say that I definitely had no complaints.

D: Again, no notes as to this aspect, but I clearly remember a remarkably easy experience.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

A - pours opaque black with a nice, big milk chocolate colored head. A small, thin head remains with heavy lacing.

S - Obvious expresso and coffee grounds with fair amount of hop aroma.

T - All of the usual suspects are here - expresso, dark chocolate, roasty malts with a touch of molasses. The finish is quite bitter with lots of dark chocolate and dark coffee.

M - the carbonation is spot on, but this feels a little thin to me for an imperial stout.

D - Very enjoyable beer right here, but if you are not a coffee drinker, this will be overwhelming. Coiffee is still a little hot...

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

We cracked this amongst other fantastic beers at a birthday party for djmiller92.

Poured a very black fluid with absolutely no light penetration. A substantial tan head of two finger width formed atop the beer from a mildly assertive pour.

The smell was intoxicating with a slight chocolate and caramel sweetness buoyed by the incredible roasty coffee and espresso dominance.

The taste had varying levels of awesomeness. To start you get a roasty bitterness that permeates every taste bud in the mouth. Then a creamy sweetish malty middle relieves the bitterness only to relinquish control back to a bitter coffee finish that continues into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Fully bodied coupled with a healthy amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is tough because there is such an overwhelming coffee/roasty bitterness. For big flavor beer lovers, this will be a welcome addition, but others may find it staggeringly bitter.

3.33/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours very dark, with a dense, frothy head ... one of the best looking pours I've seen ... strikingly beautiful. Smell is sweet, chocolate, coffee, light hops ... very inviting. However the taste seems unbalanced and harsh. A bitterness arises immediately at mouth entry, strengthens as the taste buds are activated and persists long after the beer has exited the mouth. I wished it tasted like it smelled:(
Great Divide, if you are reading this, please create a beer without such a strong hop bite ... it will be a hit!

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Jet black with a bubbly and dark, two-finger head that seems forced up by the mass of beer below.

Big coffee smell with a lot of chocolate too. Deep, rich, sweet malts. Also a nice zesty scent, almost like lemon or citrus.

Holy smokes that's a rich beer. Huge coffee tastes. Almost overpowering. The coffee powers through a sturdy malt body. I actually think this is waking me up. Unbelievable coffee. Very dry finish. The vanilla oak taste breaks through in the aftertaste.

This is a good beer, but you must like coffee to enjoy it.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

When poured you cannot see through it even when held up to the sun. It has a very dark color, almost black, yet of the darkest brown. The head was not too much, about 2 fingers high.

I recommend taking in a full inhalation in order to get a proper smell of it. I disliked the smell when doing so at first but then found that if I took in a full whiff then I found out the entire aroma. Smells strongly of coffee...and that's exactly how it tastes.

I was a bit disappointed by the initial flavor, or lack of, but in the middle is the intense coffee taste with lingering smokiness, vanilla, and at then end of strong bitter coffee. It was too bitter for my taste but I'm not much of a coffee fan.

If you love coffee though I would definitely recommend this. I also recommend eating something with it because it is so profound in its espresso flavor.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

2005 Vintage. Thanks to Pawel for the awesome extra!

So I opened this last night and after a couple sips decided to read the bottle because it was wonderfully complex, but didn't seem as hoppy as I thought it would be (based on Yeti and Barrel-Aged yeti). It turns out that I accidentally opened a four-year old bottle, but I loved every sip of it!

A- Pours pitch black with a heavy cascading dark, chocolatey-brown head that reduces to a thin sheet over the beer, leaving sitcky splotches of lacing behind on the snifter.

S- Wow. Roasted barley and tons of malt with a big vanilla presence. Chocolate-covered malt balls with a mild oak presence. Dark-roasted coffee and a subtle warming bourbon smell.

T- Well-balanced. Mild bitterness from dark-roasted espresso and still some hop bitterness. Roasty bitterness and sweet malt. Lots of cocoa. Slightly creamy tasting with hints of vanilla.

M- Big and sticky, but not hot at all...could have always been that way, but it could also be the 4 years of aging

D- I sipped on this one for nearly two hours to get through the bomber, but it was fantastic anyway.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company