Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

A generous infusion of Denver's own Pablo's espresso adds yet another layer of complexity to this beer, combining with the vanilla oak character, intense roasty maltiness and bold hop profile to create a whole new breed of mythical creature. It's official: You can now have Yeti with breakfast.

Added by John_M on 05-16-2008

Ratings: 3,746 |  Reviews: 1,062

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass. I picked up this and a bottle of Yeti Imperial Stout. For whatever reason, the Thanksgiving and Christmas season wakes up my taste buds for Imperial Stouts.

Appearance: Definitely a syrupy thick, pitch black beer. A moderate pour gave me a very nice 3/4" dark brown creamy head, which reduced to a thing brown ring. Not before the lacing stuck proudly to the sides of my glass at the original head height. Lacing did diminsh as the beer warmed. The only thing present on the sides of my glass as it emptied was the syrupy thickness of the beer itself. With that said, Imperial Stouts aren't generally known for their sticky lacing like the IPA and DIPA style.

Smell: I can always tell when I'm in for a treat when my nose picks up wonderful aromas in during the initial pour. As in the name and style, dark espresso coffee dominates right away. Chocolate, dark fruits, oak, vanilla and malts in a close second. As the beer warms, the ABV booziness snaps to attention briefly before bowing to the espresso aroma. Wow, this beer has it all in aroma alone.

Taste: The taste is just as good as the smell. Mildy sweet, dark espresso coffee on the forefront. The oak character is outstanding, blending perfectly with the vanilla, caramel sweetness and burnt malts. I also get a hint of oatmeal too. This beer crosses the finish line with an enticing dark chocolate and mild hop bitterness. The bitterness sticks on the tongue well after the swallow. I'm giving this beer a second "Wow"!!

Mouthfeel: Moderate to heavy in body with just the right amount of carbonation. The Imperial Stouts tend to be lighter on the carbonation but this one feels good, real good...Thick, rich, sweet, but not too sweet.

Outstanding for the style...This is a "must try" for Imperial Stout fans such as myself. I will, I repeat I will, seek this one out again. If you don't like the dominant espresso flavor in your beer, then this one isn't for you. I, for one, enjoyed the heck out of their rendition of the style. Outstanding beer by Great Divide...

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company