Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

A generous infusion of Denver's own Pablo's espresso adds yet another layer of complexity to this beer, combining with the vanilla oak character, intense roasty maltiness and bold hop profile to create a whole new breed of mythical creature. It's official: You can now have Yeti with breakfast.

Added by John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,058 | Ratings: 3,726
3.04/5  rDev -28.3%

A: Pours a nearly opaque black color. A two finger bubbly tan head forms with good retention. A little lace is left behind.
S: Right up front is a huge acrid, burnt coffee aroma. Burnt malt and charcoal. This is to much.
T: Still, a ton of acrid and burnt coffee. Though much more balanced than the nose. Some roasted malt and chocolate.
M/D: A full body and low carbonation. Creamy and smooth. Some hot alcohol, and the huge burnt character with the malt and coffee makes this harder to drink than I would like.

Very one dimensional. For the most part, just a burnt flavor that dominates. There are much better coffee stouts out there.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Beer is black and forms a nice brown head of small and medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate.

Aroma is sweet with some roast. Its about I expected.

Beer is really smooth, coffee flavors comes up late, there is no carbonation in the palate but connectivity is fine with the sweetness up front and the roasted bitterness in the back. Drinkability is high.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Prime 16 into a 3/4 pint.

A: Black body with almost an inch of dense, creamy brown foam. Great retention and lots of lace. Beautiful stout.

S: Really brings the espresso - coffee, sweet maltiness, more coffee, some oaky vanilla, and more coffee. Wonderful.

T: Follows the nose precisely, and deliciously. Lots of dry oak on the finish, and no noticeable booze. Fantastic.

M: Rich, full, sticky, and alive with explosively creamy carbonation. Lovely.

D: For the strength and intensity of flavor, this one goes down in a hurry.

Notes: Just as Oak Aged Yeti is a dramatic improvement over the regular version, the Espresso OA is an improvement over the simple OA. Big, rich, creamy, and full of coffee goodness, this is truly a world-class stout. I need to have a coffee stout tasting with this, Speedway, FBS, and Péché Mortel. I just love them so much more than either regular stouts or regular coffee.

Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. Bottled on 2/12/10, drank on 3/21/10.

a - Pours a dark brown with 3 fingers of brown head. No carbonation evident and very good retention and lacing. Almost identical to the Chocolate Oak Ahed Yeti, but a little more head.

s - Coffee obviously dominates the smell. Also getting some oak, chocolate, and roasted malts.

t - Again coffee dominates here. Also a little chocolate, oak, malt, and maybe a hint of vanilla.

m - Full body and almost no carbonation to it. Very smooth and creamy.

d - A pretty good stout. I personally felt as though the coffee dominated the smell and taste, hiding some of the other flavors/smells. I personally liked the Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti better, but if you like yeti and coffee you'd probably love this. I'd try it again but given the opportunity, would buy Chocolate or regular Oak Aged Yeti over this.

4.31/5  rDev +1.7%

A= pours a jet black. Total black out. Been a while since I drank a beer this black. The head is awesome cascading along the sides and it just keeps rising to a total of three fingers and holds steady for a while there. The head is a nice dark brown color that sits on top of the beer menacing solid. Looks like a jelly on top I don't see much movement in it. Great lacing on the glass as well.

S= Just as I expected. Tons of coffee dominate. The yeti under is cloaked by the coffee. Yeti is one of my fav imperial stouts and I feel a little sad that he's so covered by espresso but that's what the beer is tryin to be. The yeti under reveils himself a little more as the beer warms up with some nice oak notes and a little hop bite to it. Great roasty chocolaty notes as well that compliment the expresso.

T= Loads of coffee again. As the beer warms up the coffee sort of mellows out and lets the yeti come out of hibernation. The coffee is very delicious nice roasty coffee a little coffee resiny sort of taste. The yeti below is the same yeti that I love. Nice oaky wood flavors are somewhat mellow in this one but the hop bite is here as well as the excellent roasty chocolatey barley flavor. Delicious.

M= Thick chewy and oily. Great coffee feel to it.

D= I love yeti like I mentioned and this is my first dabble away from the oak aged or the regualr yeti and again it proves great. Really nice coffee to this beer which is one of my other prefered beverages. While I don't think yeti can improve much and while this isn't an "improvement" I do find the variations fun and delicious so far. Great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

This was a great treat I must say. Got it on tap at prime 16 in New Haven, CT.

A - Pours a black oil color with about a half inch head and very nice lacing.

S - Wow those coffee notes really hit the nose! A very powerful coffee smell indeed! I love this because I love coffee; however, I can see someone who doesn't like coffee not liking this. You must be a coffee lover to appreciate this.

T - A huge coffee blast! Of course you taste the chocolate, but this this thing is dominated by coffee and that taste seems to supercede all else!

M - Pretty thick and I enjoyed this. Definitely a sipper and something to enjoy with dessert. I really liked this and now that I had it on tap I may seek out a bomber of this. I was impressed by this although great divide does make some pretty good stuff. I compared this to a Founders Breakfast Stout as that also has a strong coffee presence; but I think this has a stronger one. I wouldnt say this is better than an FBS; but I think it's pretty similar and if you like that one then you will definitely like this.

D - High ABV's and a thick dessert/coffee taste make this one a sipper. I would only want one of these after drinking a nice hoppy brew as that is my taste. This one I would look to finish the nite off with. Very enjoyable, hope to get my hands on this soon!

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Portsmouth tulip glass. Pours a great solid thick black color with a huge medium brown head. While the beer sits in the glass, it's dark as night. The brown head is frothy and settles slowly into a collar with excelent thick sticky lacing.

Aroma is very interesting. Can definitely pick up the espresso, and coffee bitterness. Smells malty with sweet and bitter notes conflicting back and forth. Not much of a booze aroma.

Wow! Great complexity! Lot's of espresso flavors. I was wondering how strong the espresso was going to be, and Great Divide nailed it. Carbonation is mild, so when it's not noticable, it's perfect! Has strong malty thickness on the palate. Again, booze is undetectable. This stout comes in sweet from the vanilla and finishes bitter-sweet, with a long lasting espresso flavor on the tongue. Great beer!

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Black with full tan head and nice intricate lace all over. Very attractive.

Smells of dark full grains and round coffee, rich and deep, with a hint at some bitter woodiness and a little green hop and green oak. Interesting.

Taste is huge, Yeti being an already fantastic big stout, the aging on oak and addition of coffee make it even more so. Big and full to start, with deep malt notes of chocolate and burnt toast, swelling with straight on authentic coffee taste, nicely strong and becoming quite bitter in the finish, presenting some notes of green oak and throwing some strong juicy hop presence in at the finish. Tastes fresh all around.

Feel is full bodied and smooth, nicely notable carbonation that hangs back in the balance.

Well balanced, with a nicely done coffee infusion to an already fantastic beer.

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottled, what looks like, March 09.

Looks like a Yeti, which is always fantastic. Midnight black and thick with a dark brown head. What else can you ask for?

Bitter chocolate aroma with roasty coffee, vanilla and wood, with a strong hoppy presence. Huge, as expected.

A bottle of this is like a meal, or at least a rich dessert that makes you feel like going to sleep. Your tongue is greeted with an assault of dark chocolate chips and coffee, the body is full, the alcohol warm, and the finish long and bitter. I think I liked it more fresh, maybe just an off moment.

3.43/5  rDev -19.1%

A bit of a let-down here. Malt and hops were subdued, and the coffee notes were bland. Rather than an Imperial Stout, this might hit the American Stout mark, at best. My bottle was about a year old, but the beer didn't seem to have held up terribly well, and had already mellowed to the non-descript stage - in light of the abv, I would have expected it to remain more bold.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Well now. EOAYIS on cask. Yes please.
Now, I'm not a coffee guy (or espresso) so I do try to hold objective.
Pours deep black with rich ruby hints on along the rim. More noticeable as it is drank. A thick, rich, chocolate malt looking foaming head on this one. Oh..beauty.
A dry espresso, dark chocolate and slight anise aroma. A bit boozy, but hidden quite well. Some fig and nutmeg hints.
A fruity start, dark soft fruit. Dry. Dark chocolate coated in espresso comes in like gang-busters. Flows smoothly over the tongue, a quick bite and flush of anise and prune. Coffee like aftertaste. Leaves clean. Easy drinking. A bit boozy in the finish with an exhale.
Great beer

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber dated 3/6/2009 into a NY CBW mini weiss glass.

A: Deep mahogany with a nice, creamy, foamy dark beige head that lasts and laces the side of the glass. Very nice.

S: Chocolately up front with dark roasted coffee in the background and a little dark fruit/boozy smell too. I'm glad it's as bitter as it is because I do not care for sweet n' syrupy stouts.

T: Bittersweet chocolate upfront, quickly followed by a nice coffee flavor and roasted malts. Very satisfied that I get more of the "espresso" in this beer and not the "oakiness".

M: The best feature of this beer. Creamy! Not necessarily chewy, but silky smooth and full-bodied. Carbonated not just properly, but perfectly for this style.

D: For 9.5% ABV it does go down rather easily. In my opinion it is easier to drink a beer of this nature when it's really cold and this drinks just as easy as it warms up.

Overall, this held up extremely well after a year especially for it being <10% ABV. Props to Great Divide on another great variation of Yeti.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

A_ Pours black with a dark brown billowy head.Thick lacing sticks to the glass and the head stays the whole way down.

S_Roasted malt,dark chocolate,vanilla , and rich coffee. The coffee is by no means overpowering.

T_Dark chocolate and espresso are rounded out by the earthy,woody, oak. This very rich and balanced. Very roasty.

M_Thick and creamy. Very smooth.

D_A bomber is certainly no problem to drink. I cant help but savour this one though.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with a frighteningly large cascading brown head that is frothy, thick, and displays lots of lacing. Smells of opulent rich espresso, oak, vanilla, roasted barley, chocolate milk, earthy coffee beans, and prune. Tastes precipitously dry, then lots of bitter fresh roasted coffee beans, vanilla, and the midpalate brings out the oak chips. The finish is bready, cakelike, and reminds again of coffee beans. Full in body, slightly slippery with medium somewhat bubbly carbonation. This one was quite delicious, though a bit heavy on oak, but probably the least offensively oaked version of Oak Aged Yeti. This is a beer I like as fresh as possible as the espresso helps to counter the excessive amount of vanilla bearing oak chips.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bottle into a Duvel snifter pours a nice opaque black with a decent frothy lasting tan head. Aroma is fresh ground coffee in front of roasted malts. The taste is loads of espresso in front of oak, roasted malts and hints of vanilla. The beer is on the heavy side of medium with a bit of warming alcohol. This is certainly an enjoyable coffee stout, but I must admit, the Chocolate Yeti I'm having along side of this one is much better.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on March 05, 2009.

(A)- Pours thick & black as night. Produced an incredibly large & fluffy/billowy dark brown head that isnt going anywhere; its clinging to every inch of the sides of the glass as it barely dissipates.

(S)- Rich vanilla, brown sugar, molasses, raisin, butterscotch, & a spice I cant pinpoint; cinnamon?(Must be from the Oak). Simply gorgeous & wonderful. Just the tiniest hint of roasted coffee grounds.

(T)- Not much espresso in this, but has a great mildly sweet molasses & brown sugar maltiness that melds into a delicate dry oaky vanilla finish. Dynamic and silky smooth with no harshness; just a bit of roastedness in the middle.

(M)- One of the smoothest stouts I may have ever had. Fantastic alcohol integration & balance. Not too sweet, not too malty, not too bitter, just a perfect combination that is layered here and there.

(D)- Simply a remarkable stout! I am slightly disappointed that there isnt much espresso in this, but I quickly forgot that when I smelled and tasted this. Simply amazing! This bottle did not last long at all! Every Yeti I have had has been fantastic, but this one with almost a year of age on it is nearly orgasmic. I am excited to see what further aging will do to it. Now. . . where can I find a case?

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into a goblet a jet black with an inch of dark brown head which receded quickly. No light gets through the oily darkness.

Aroma: Sweet with some fruitiness to it. For an Espresso Stout there was more chocolate than coffee aroma though there was not much of it either.

Taste: Chocolate and coffee come through much more in the taste than the aroma. There are some roasted flavors and very little bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy going down. Highly carbonated.

Drinkability: My friend found out about this from the beer manager of one of the local liquor stores. Beyond the glowing recommendation, we had no expectations. After one sip we both resolved to go out the next day and buy another bottle. This is one of the best coffee stouts I have had.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

This beer pours a jet black color, with a thick dark brown head. The head takes forever to fade, leaving a massive curtain of lace in the glass.

Smelling this beer is like walking into a coffee shop. A strong espresso coffee aroma dominates this beer. I detect a mild vanilla aroma. Some sweet caramel malt mixes in. This beer also smells of dark fruit, with a hint of chocolate.

Wow. This beer has a mostly vanilla flavor. Some coffee flavor mixes in. It is very sweet with a huge malty presence. Alcohol is well hidden in the flavor. This beer tastes slightly like home made Kahlua.

This beer is very thick. It is low in carbonation, fitting the style nicely. It goes down surprisingly smooth, leaving a vanilla aftertaste.

This beer wouldnt be the best session beer at 9.5% ABV, but it is pretty damn good and easy to drink.

Overall: A huge thanks go out to monsterfat for hooking me up with this winner. It is just plain amazing.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Bottled February 13, 2009

I poured into a pint glass to a good two inches of brown head. It is black. The first aroma I got when I poured was milk chocolate. Once I bury my nose in the glass I seem to get more dark fruits, raisins. There is a faint coffee smell. I taste chocolate and some sweetness, but the bitterness of the expresso is more defined in the taste. It is a pretty tasty beverage. It is going down a lot faster than I anticipated. It leaves a nice coating on my mouth and lips. Now I need to try the other Yetis.

Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottle via trade from ben4321 on ratebeer. Thanks, Ben.

Pours jet black with a nice tan head and some good lacing.

Aroma is intense with lots of coffee, chocolate, and roast.

Flavor is excellent: espresso, roast, oak, and milk chocolate, melding extremely well, with none of the flavors too heavy.

Medium-full on the palate with lots of coffee bitterness and some hop bitterness as well.

Pretty drinkable for an imperial coffee stout. Overall this was a great one, possibly the best of the Yetis I've had.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

bottle courtesy of nickd717

S: espresso/coffee, vanilla, oak, choc

A: Black w/min brn head

T: Really roasty, dominating, oak, coffee, finishing with a subdued but noticeable etoh presence.

M: Medium... a little thin for flavors

D: Pretty sweet and strong, but not so much as to hurt drinkability.

Overall: My favorite yeti version of the 4 I've had. I recommend!

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottle courtesy nickd717, glad you could make it! Pours darkest brown with a fluffy beige head. Aroma is coconut from the wood aging with roasted coffee and dark chocolate and a surprising amount of sprucey, piney hops peeking through. Flavor is toasty and chocolatey with a big roasted coffee influence. Woody and bitter. This is clearly the superior version of Yeti.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Bottled on March 6, 2009 (though the writing is a bit difficult to decipher).

Appearance: Pours a thick, solid black with a 1 inch fizzy and pillowy dark tan head that dissipates to nothing, slowly and steadily. Lacing is webs around the glass that slowly disappear. Wine-like legs.

Smell: Burnt sugar, alcohol, chocolate, mocha coffee and a strong sweet note of yellow cake. Some prune and fig lurking in the background.

Taste: Smooth and mellow. The same yellow cake from the smell, with more chocolate and coffee. Mild coffee/hop bitterness in the finish, along with some alcohol warmth. The dominant taste and feel are similar to a coffee milkshake with chocolate (poured all over a freshly baked cake); coffee ice cream, mocha notes, and a lot of sugary sweetness. As the beer warms, the alcohol mixes really nicely with the sweet profile, adding some depth to it.

Mouthfeel: Divinely creamy. Barely carbonated, though some sips are more tingly than others. As nice as the creaminess and the mild alcohol burn are, I feel like the mouthfeel could stand to be a bit more aggressive. The feel matches nicely with the creamy dessert flavors, but perhaps the oak aging brings it a bit too far into passivity. This is probably just personal preference though; for a smooth, silky oak aged stout, this is perfect.

Drinkability: Definitely a good sipper (I enjoyed the bomber over about 4 hours), but doesn't really call me back. The alcohol presence is definitely felt, and I personally can't see myself turning to such an overtly dessert-oriented beer too often. If liquid cake with alcohol burn and moderate depth are what you're looking for, this beer should score high on drinkability.

For what it seems to be trying to do, this beer is emphatically successful. Myself, I'm not too excited by such dessert/beer line-blurring, and would have had trouble getting through the bottle if I weren't such a lover of yellow cake. The alcohol depth / sweet dessert interplay is mildly interesting, but only goes so far. Certainly a good--probably a great--beer, but not really my style.

I don't mind if an Imperial Stout bakes me a cake, but I want it to at least throw a few punches and tell some convoluted stories before it's done. Some more hops and complex flavor would have really set this beer off for me. Nonetheless, another quality offering from Great Divide.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

This thing looks pretty dark, like Ten Fidy dark. It pours black and forms a soft cocoa head. Leaves a medium lacing and coats the sides of the glass with dark oily legs. Really beautiful brew.

The smell is of chocolate and espresso.

The tastes are very good and not exactly what I expected. It has a very strong chocolate taste that I was not expecting, and was closer to the Chocolate Yeti in tastes. There is a bitter espresso bean taste that is accompanied by the chocolate very well, just a bit too much bitterness from the espresso. Maybe a bit of chili being added could make this a standout, I really like the chocolate version of this beer. There is a bit of oak in the tastes that is noticeable, brings out some of the ABV in the aftertastes.

The mouthfeel is bitter, but still very enjoyable. Very creamy and thick on the palate, enjoyable on that front. The espresso bitterness is just a bit distracting. I know espresso is bitter, but this one is so sweet and chocolate-y that I was hoping for it to be COMPLETELY different that the chocolate version, which it was not.

I drank this fast and wish I had more, so I guess the drinkability is good.

J

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Picked this up at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids.

Ink black with a crown brown sugar. Head is mammoth but recedes leaving globs along the side of the glass.

Toasted coconut and fermented prunes on the nose. Big heavy notes here. Dark fruits and some bitter cocoa fudgey notes as well.

Sweet fudge brownies are apparent in the taste. Cocoa and coffee, mocha if you will. Bittersweet chocolate but a nice fudgey round taste all over.

Slightly overwhelming at first but once you get a grasp it is smooth and round versions of all the mentioned flavors. Big big coffee taste on aftertaste, but not overly bitter.

Quite a fantastic beer, well worth a buy.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company