Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

A generous infusion of Denver's own Pablo's espresso adds yet another layer of complexity to this beer, combining with the vanilla oak character, intense roasty maltiness and bold hop profile to create a whole new breed of mythical creature. It's official: You can now have Yeti with breakfast.

Added by John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,058 | Ratings: 3,726
3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours very dark and syrupy thick. Creamy tan head is initially quite thick, but dissipates more quickly than expected. Great lacing left on the glass.

Great nose features sweet chocolate notes as well as coffee roastiness. A bit hoppier here than expected.

Big time roasted bitterness as well as hop bitterness on the palate. All chocolate that comes through here is of the bittersweet variety, which with all the other sources of bitterness makes this beer a bit unbalanced. Long, bitter finish.

Overall a v. good beer, but not as good as I was hoping. A bourbon barrel would have done a great service to this beer. I'll stash one or two and see how it drinks in the future--hopefully bitterness will mellow a bit and become a little sweeter overall.

3.14/5  rDev -25.9%

The aroma has leather, earth, rubber, molasses, burnt malt, wood, coffee, and chocolate. The appearance is a very nice dark brown almost black color with a large tan head. The Flavor is like the aroma. The palate is not quite average for the style. Overall it is to style but I don't really like it.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured into a Great Divide Yeti snifter, deep chocolate brown with a nice three finger mocha head. Melts to a ring with nice lacing as I (quickly) empty the glass. Nose is chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate with a bit of a roasted coffee/espresso bitterness. Smells absolutely delicious.

Mouth is full bodied with medium carbonation and silky smooth feel with a little bit of a dry edge as it fades away.

Oh lordy, this is one decadent and amazing beer. I love the original Yeti, and Oak Aged Yeti, but I've only had a small tasting of the Espresso Yeti at the 2008 GABF. I remember liking it. But now I love it. Huge chocolate and malt ball taste. Roasted with that Espresso bitterness and a mild hop presense. Sweet and bitter and milky smooth.

This is extremely drinkable for a big stout. Could get you into a lot of trouble. I'm drawn to sip after sip and watching the glass empty too fast.

This is a great beer.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Served from a 1 Pint 6 Fl.OZ bottle

Pours a black color with a huge mocha colored creamy looking head. Good head retention with sticky lacing scattered around my glass. YUUUMMM, this looks tasty!!!

Besides the strong dominating coffee smell, I get dark chocolate, smoked wood chips, and a faint smell of oak.

Upfront taste of roasted malts, bitter black coffee, this mellows out into a semi-sweet chocolate taste, I want to say hints of vanilla(if not wish it had some), and some oak. Pretty mellow finish which is not too bitter.

Full bodied beer, silky smooth and creamy, low carbonation.

I could see myself having more then one cause it taste damn good. To me something was missing in this beer to make it really excellent. I would definitely recommend this though.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

22oz bomber served in a snifter

Let me preface this by saying that the Oak Yeti is one of my favorite RIS's and in my opinion had little room to improve. Needless to say, I had high expectations for this.

Appears almost an ink black with the darkest brown cap I have ever seen, a wet sand color. A little bit of lace, but nothing too impressive with a decent amount of staying power considering the oil from espresso/coffee beans usually hurts in that area.

Smell is of deep roasted espresso, plums, cherries, vanilla, bittersweet dark belgian chocolate malt balls, and a decent amount of booze. The espresso dominates.

The flavor profile mimics the nose very closely, only the espresso beans lend an oily espresso layer that, for me, is too much. It detracts from the goodness of all of the other flavors. The chocolate is more pronounced throughout the middle, but the espresso begins and ends the experience. The fruits and sweet vanilla dance and dart their way through the deep roasted flavor and espresso. It's almost like they poured espresso into the beer. However, the base is so good, I can't give it lower than a 4.

The mouthfeel is thick and velvety. All of the Yeti beers have a near perfect mouthfeel. Rich and decadent.

The espresso hurts the drinkability. Everything else is so good though.

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%

pours a jet black with a large brown head, and great lacing.

smell is of coffee, cocoa, some nuts, and roasted malts.

taste is creamy yet dry, dark and milk chocolate, espresso, touch of vanilla, and some licorice, ends dry and slightly bitter.

overall an exceptional stout.

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22oz Bomber purchased from Knightly Spirits her in Orlando

Pours a syrupy black with little head. A small creamed-coffee colored head forms, but doesn't stay long. Collar and lacing are nice though.

Smell is chocolate, slight oakiness, a bit of fresh hops and of course espresso coffee.

Taste starts with bitter chocolate and hops. Chocolate mellows quickly and leads to a spectacular espresso aftertaste. Hops linger, but are overpowered by the chocolate and espresso (not in a bad way). Aftertaste lingers for quite some time, which is very nice.

Mouthfeel is just about perfect for a stout with this much going on. The flavors coat the palate and stick around just long enough for you to want to take another sip.

At 9+%abv this isn't going to be an every day beer, but it's a really nice addition to the Yeti family. I really enjoy coffee beers and this is easily one of the best I've had in a very long time.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

Color is a black opaque with a small almost non existent tan head. Good Belgian lacing. Aroma was that of heavy roast espresso coffee. Flavor of burnt heavy coffee, big espresso notes could have been balanced out better with a little bit of vanilla. Black malt with no chocolate of hop flavor evident because of the big burnt coffee taste. Full bodied and very warm to drink. Makes regular Yeti pale in comparison in flavor.

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%

Bomber. Pours a completely opaque black color with a very large brown head, excellent lacing. Aroma is mainly oak at first and then some coffee, chocolate, raisins, roast probably from the espresso, maybe a touch of citrus hops, and a little alcohol. Taste is espresso at first, chocolate, resiny hops, and a touch of oak. Mouthfeel is very, very creamy and full bodied with a lot of bitterness at the end. The coffee and bitterness sticks around for a while after each drink. Warms well and is not really boozy except for a slight hint of aroma. Very good beer.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22 oz. bottle. Bottled on March 6, 2009. 9.5% abv.

Pours a very dark, motor-oily black/brown. Big, rocky, cumulonimbus head of thick, creamy, peanut-shell brown. Terrific lacing. Inviting nose of bitter dark chocolate shavings, Italian roasted coffee, vanilla, a touch of smoke, and earthy hop bitterness.

Flash of chocolate and fruity malt up front, before intense coffee and dark chocolate bitterness come on strong. Hints of dark fruit sweetness, licorice, and vanilla come through. Charred, roasted coffee bitterness stays strong throughout. Herbal and resinous hop bitterness in the finish combines with the chalky-roasted espresso bitterness to aptly numb the tongue. Wow. I feel like I should be drinking this tomorrow morning with my grape nuts. Looks like I'll be staying up all night watching baseball! Full-bodied with a thick, creamy feel. Very good.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Served ontap in a 12oz snifter.

A: Stout black with 1mm head that quicjly dissipated to a ducks foot cram streak and ring. Nice lacing.
S: Subtle espresso and cocoa.
T: Well the name is well earned here. Strong espresso and malty flavors with a chocolate underbelly. Quit delicious, would be better bottles with age.
M: impressive - the mouth of a fine RIS, challenging the tongue with every sip.
D: Very enticing. Could easily be a habit if it weren't an imperial stout.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Color: pours a very dark brown. sits black with an almost non-existent rim without tilting the glass 45 degrees

Smell: lots of coffee dominates followed by chocolate. slight hint of alcohol and oak

Taste: balance of coffee flavor with chocolate malts and oak with a slight bitterness developing towards the end with some woodiness in the finish

Mouthfeel: full body. low carbonation. silky smooth

Notes: not quite as bitter as the original yeti, but perhaps more complex in flavors. i think i like the original better, thought this is yet another home run from GD

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

tasting notes in haiku:
---

coffee ice cream - whoa!
bourbon notes in the finish
darkness, gone too fast

---
purchased @ charleston beer exchange $10.49

a unique offering from one of my favorite brewers

bottle design rating: 4.5/5

served in brooklyn tulip glass

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Aroma: A nice rich coffee and espresso aroma. A little bit of creamed coffee aroma too as the beer opens up a little. No hop aroma and low fruity esters.

Appearance: Opaque, jet black pour with a rich, thick tan head.

Flavor: More coffee flavors, chocolate, a bit of smokey background notes, and some low hop bitterness. A slight burnt note that compliments the coffee and oak flavors. Finish is dry and clean.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. No alcohol heat detected. Just a mild astringency from the oak and espresso.

Overall impression: A big, roasty, full flavored ale. I still think I prefer the regular Yeti but this was enjoyable. Definitely one to sip and savor. Glad I tried it once.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

My unofficial 90th review! (I have a handful in my notes that I haven't gotten around to posting.)

22oz. poured into broad mouth glass

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown but sits black in the glass with an inviting half inch light brown head. Not much head retention but nice lacing.

Smell: I could smell this from a foot away. The smell is fantastic lots of heavy chocolate aromas mixing with earthy hops and more than just a touch of coffee.

Taste: Hm. I had this not too long ago for the first time and I was floored. Something is a bit off in comparison to last time. All the flavors I remember; chocolate, coffee, herbal and citrus hops, hazelnut, and vanilla from the oak aging are there but they're slightly skewed. It's a lot more obviously oak aged and upping the wood and bourbon like qualities. What's a shame though is for some reason the amalgamation of all these flavors is producing kind of a rubbery taste. As it warms is seems to lose it, but this still doesn't taste exactly like what I remember. I do love how bitter it is, it balances out the sweet nicely. It's not that it's not good, I know when I first tried it I thought it was delicious, it's just a little weird.

Mouthfeel: Smooth over the tongue, and sticks around in your mouth. Bitterness makes each sip refreshing and carbonation is right on target.

Drinkability: Higher than some extreme imperial stouts and I'm having a pretty easy time getting through the bottle, but it's still a monster.

Overall: I'm hoping this was just an off bottle or my taste buds are messed up right now because when I first had this I was in heaven. It was like drinking espresso ice cream, which was a good thing. I'm not going to let this bad experience with it mess with my grading too much because I know what I first tasted and I know that it was excellent. Pick this up, see for yourself.

*Note: As this brew warms up it's getting more and more like what I remember so maybe it was just a little too cold at first.

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%

bottle courtasy of tprokop7

Poured from a gold tin wrapped brown bomber into a pub glass.
A good 2.5 inch dark brown head forms, receeding very slowly. Leaving behind alot of good sticky thick brown lace and a quarter inch cap of retention.
The color like all yeti is black with no light penetration.

I gave the arom a lower grade due to the lack of coffee in the aroma itself. However, the aroma is quite good, its just lacking what this style is supposed to present.
It smeels like the barrel aged yeti, with really no coffee aroma at all.

Taste up front is a chocolatey liquore with dark roasted coffee, oak, chocolate bittering grains, lactose, and finishing bitter with plenty of peanuts and dark rish coffee. The coffee flavors really snuck up on me, after being absent in aroma.
This shares flavor similarities to Devil Over a Barrel with its creamy peanut buttery nutyness.
Also there is some Barrel Aged yeti like flavors, not the oak aged, I'm talking about the limited released barrel aged. It shares some of the richer chocolate liquore warm boozyness, as well as a truffle like bitter chocolate desert flavor.

Finishing dry and bitter with chocolate grains and plenty of roasty coffee flavors.

For a coffee beer its not exceptional by any means, but its not terrible either. Yeti has always been a terrific go to RIS for me. This is just another fine example of the brew.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Had a sample of this last night with dkachur, CrellMoset and IBUnit63. Now having more, so I suppose it made a good first impression!

A: Midnight black with a very rich head of brown... a darker brown, at that, almost chocolatey, almost 3 fingers tall with quite a nice retention. This is one good looking beer.

S: The big coffee scents stand out quite a bit, along with a deep roasted malt and the added scents of both chocolate and vanilla.

T: Quite a bitter brew, like a good shot of espresso in the morning. I imagine this isn't a great choice for the evening (which is how I'm consuming it!) but it's tasty, nonetheless! That dark roast coffee flavour along with bitter dark chocolates. Intense and rich.

M + D: Quite well carbonated, with a good bit of sting on the tip of the tongue. That said, it does kind of become a muddy, thicker feeling as it goes down and with each subsequent sips. Alcohol becomes much more apparent and it starts to get rather hot and boozy. This is certainly more suited to be a slow sipper, but it's quite a nice tasting beer in the end. Recommended.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours black, with a thick, light brown head. Nice lace.

Espresso hits the nose first, followed by a very extravegant scent of roasted malts, and everything that would be expected for an oak aged imperial stout.

First taste is incredible--it's like biting into a dark chocolate espresso truffle. The oak smooths things out so nicely. Very rich, and everything I've ever wanted in a coffee stout.

Medium bodied and very smooth mouthfeel.

I love coffee stouts, and this has to be one of the best I've had.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

This is an exceptional beer. I was thrilled to death to see it on tap at Barleys last night and the first thing I ordered when I got there without heistation. Served in a pint glass, this one was consumed on 04/03/2009.

The pour was fantastic. Rich dark black in color with a completely opaque and dark look to it. Rich tan colored head rose up to at least an inch and a half before settling down into a whispy cloud on top and tons of side glass lacing, perfect. The aroma was sublime, rich cocoa and coffee notes that swirled together effortlessly wth light hints of oak and rich sweet smells just swirling about it. As I took the first sip I nearly fell over. This is what I have been looking for in a big coffee stout. INSANE. Rich coffee flavors that were perfectly balanced against the rich oak and chocolate notes that I love in my oaked yeti. Smooth, seductive big bodied fel that made this a sublime sipper that offered no hint of the alcohol in it at all.

Overall I was floored by this beer. Simply put one of the best beers I have had in a very long time. This is an instant classic that has been done wonderfully. I would go after this one at every chance that I get.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a) black w/ brown lacing w/ large bubbles; looks a little thin compared to Yet which i don't know if i fully understand why

s) best part of this beer. wonderful dark chocolate and espresso. want to smell some other flavors but love it for what it is

t) delicious chocolate initially and then finishes with coffee all the way to the back of throat and then chocolate aftertaste. dessert beer

m) smooth, drys out mouth a bit. no stickyness. feels light.

d) I will revisit but need to split a bommer w/ someone. can not drink all night.

best offering from great divide w/ out a doubt

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

22 oz. bottle courtesy dkachur - thanks!! Split and enjoyed w/ dkachur, proteus93, and IBUnit63, w/ my portion poured into a 12 oz. brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a big, thick, inky, dark, bottomless brown-body, capped by a sticky, foamy, one-finger tan cocoa head. The sheen is persistent, consistent, with a foamy, thin collar and tons of pock mark-esque, glittery, runny, spotty lacing.

Aroma: Whoa. This one is incredibly hoppy, reminding me of Hibernation in many ways. Almost like York Peppermint Patties, or Junior Mints, with huge mint and light citrus, backed up by a huge chunk of cocoa and coffee-esque malts. The espresso is definitely prominent, well-roasted, incredibly earthy, spring-like. The alcohol is unfortunately a little present in the background, slightly estery and warm.

Taste: Whew. Intense, but I think it's lacking a little of what the original Yeti/OA Yeti has, in my opinion. The hops are still large and in charge, minty, leafy, herbal, though they do meld very well w/ everything else. The malty backbone is toast, cocoa, coffee, earthy, faintly sweet, but more perhaps bitter. The espresso is also prominent, though it adds a lot of bitter, heavily roasted astringencies to the proceedings.

Mouthfeel: Really pleasant. Even and creamy, with a lot of pleasant, smooth, enjoyable notes. Not as thick as it should be, likely, making it quite enjoyable.

Drinkability: A very solid beer, though perhaps not as good as I imagined it would be. I really liked the Yeti and the OA Yeti better, I think. I think the espresso needs a little time to mellow, meld w/ things, let the oakyness come out a lot more (not that they ever really do in the GD beers). It's still a really impressive brew, but still.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Black with a thin and attractive mocha-colored head. Thick lacing on the glass above.
Smell is coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and some booze.
Delicious. So delicious I am pissed-off. I wish I didn't have a seven-hour college course tomorrow, or I'd drink another bottle of this wonderful beer. Coffee, chocolate, leather tones and a perfect level of bitterness. Small booze presence. They got this one right.
Mouthfeel is good. Just the right level of carbonation to give it a nice tingly feel, yet still smooth. Little bit of warmth from the alcohol.
The delicious nature of this one makes me want more, but the ABV makes its presence known quite quickly. However, I could easily have another bottle on a night in which I didn't have to get up early the following morning.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours near black, with a tan head that lasts the entire bottle. The upfront nose is of rich coffee and roasted malt. Once it warms, the nose becomes a little more fruity from the alcohol. The taste is very complex, and still incredibly drinkable. Notes of espresso, vanilla, semi-sweet chocolate followed by a nice balance of earthy hop bitterness. The oak and alcohol are subtle, but noticeable. The mouthfeel is full bodied and the carbonation is dead on. Truly a beer worth seeking out, and one so smooth I could drink all night.

3.64/5  rDev -14.2%

Great Divide bomber, capped and corked, $9.99 in Columbus. Bottled on Feb 13, 2009, less than 2 months ago.

The beer is dark brown, not quite black, with a thick tan froth that looks perfect on the pour (tons of bubbles cascading up through the beer, just the way I like a RIS). The smell is a bit of a disappointment I'm afraid, not nearly as rich as I'd expect from a beer marketed as "Espresso oak aged". I didn't smell any coffee, maybe no oak either, this just smelled like yeti. The taste was better, I got the oak and chocolate (still no coffee), and lots of roasted malt. Astringently bitter which might be pleasing for others but I like RISs to be sweeter. Good body and mouthfeel, substantial. Overall a bit of a disappointment for $10, I had hoped for more coffee and more massiveness.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

I put this up there with Peche Mortel in terms of strong coffee-liek stouts. It's pure black with a huge, dark brown head that is thick and made up of the densest, tiniest bubbles. The smell of freshly ground coffee beans the most and then bits of chocolate. The taste is also of fresh coffee beans but has a bit of astringency from the bitterness of the burnt beans...it works well though in this beer. The mouthfeel is creamy and awesome. Not hints of alcohol solvency. Well done. Fucking awesome.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company