Barrel Aged Yeti | Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

This unique version of Yeti Imperial Stout is aged for at least nine months in Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey barrels.

Added by ArrogantB on 10-08-2008

4.98/5  rDev +16.1%

2015 aged for 12 months. Great all around. Super smooth

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Received in recent trade from generous BA scray24. (Thanks!)
Poured from 750ml bottle into red wine glass at Black Friday tasting.

Aroma: Molasses, vanilla, malted milk, toasted coconut, and rich dark chocolate syrup. Wonderfully complex aroma!

Appearance: 1 finger dark brown head slowly dissipates. Body is dark espresso brown/black. The beer leaves some suds behind, from which decent legs run.

Flavor: Mmmm! Rich fudge brownie, bourbon, coconut, and toasted marshmallow, followed by a nice touch of smoke at the end. OUT OF THIS WORLD flavor!

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium-full body, and slightly drying cocoa tannins at the end. Booze provides some nice warmth as well.

Overall: Due to the seeming ubiquity of many of the other Yeti variants (they seem to be slow movers at many of my favorite shops), I didn't get as excited about this one as I should have. Upon hearing some buzz, and reading reviews, though, I fortunately sought it out in a trade. And, thanks to the above credited trader, I was able to procure one! BA Yeti edged-out Sculpin, Blushing Monk, Marshall Zhukov's, and even Black Tuesday, in the line-up of beers at our Black Friday tasting. Great Divide really did something special here. I'll definitely be looking for another one!

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Second bottled the 2011 consumed. Amazingly happy it isn't infected. #2546.

A- Pure black pour. Above the body is a huge dark mocha at head, it's size and retention are both beyond most bourbon aged imperial stouts. Not much lace but some good spots.

S- Just bliss. Amazing vanilla oak barrels, whiskey, chocolate and roast malts blended and balanced to perfection. Rich and delicious. Smooth and alcohol is hidden.

T- A kick of dark cocoa powder leads off with the splendid whiskey barrels following. Vanilla seeps from the oak, whiskey bourbon adds a great but balanced flavor, caramel, roast malts, coffee beans and oak.

MF- Thick oily body really pleases the palate. Carbonation is silky smooth and at a nice low level, allowing the rich flavor to shine. Alcohol warms the palate to a great level.

Honestly the most balanced bourbon barrel aged stout I have had. The interplay between whiskey, cocoa, oak and malts just amazes me. Maybe the best I have had.

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Falling Rock Tap House in Colorado had three of these in the fridge... soo pumped. I grabbed one and shared at the bar with my dad and a couple other random guys. Gave myself a solid 15 ounce pour.

A: Nice black body with a brown creamy head

S: Whiskey, chocolate, hops, coffee... amazing.

T: Same as the smell. Amazing beer.

M: So rich, cream, smooth... fantastic.

O: The bartender gave me a sample of the whiskey that it's barrel aged in... what a great beer and I didn't even have to wait in line.

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Great Minds Drink Alike...Bottle 199 of 1104. Jet black with a full finger foamy dark brown head with good hang time and reasonable stringy patterns of lacing that I'd expect from a beverage of this weight. The smell is classic barrel aged roasted malt goodness. The mouth feel is right on..silky smooth with that incredible coating texture that I look forward to in my favorite Double Stouts. The nose and the mouth match up quite nicely; a great balance of barrel and the roasted malt. Silky smooth, one hell of a drinker!! Full flavored chocolaty mocha malt and whiskey. A tiny sip captures the entire experience and lingers really nicely. Reminds me a lot of the oak aged product but the whiskey licorice character comes through with a huge presence. Great job on this one. Ton of fun considering this one...many thanks Mark!!

2011 Fall Release - Bottle #111
I bow my head to those at The Great Divide - Good show my friends. Shared this brew w/ several at 3F and this is the consensus:

Pour was dark & somewhat thick with little head, quick to diminish. Smell was pure goodness, strong bourbon with slight notes of roasted malts & vanilla. The smell literally caused major positive reactions on the faces of several others. Beer was exeptional, the scent of bourbon was much more than what coated the tongue. Vanilla, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, & bourbon were predominant with a slight tinge of caramel. Flavors coated the tongue, roof of my mouth, & teeth without residing quickly like other BBA Stouts I've had. This is one of the best Bourbon Barrel Aged Stouts (mind you this beer was young) I've had in a long time, especially out of the hole. Honestly it blows most other special releases I've had out of the water. Slight hoppyness still remains, give this beer a solid year to age & everybody will be seeking it. Mark my words mates~ Cheers!

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

One of the best things to ever come across my lips. Hands down this was absolutely just phenomenal. Served chilled and split into three snifters, this one was consumed on 10/31/2009.

The pour was magnificent. Rich dark brown, nearly black in color with a huge head of tan on top that just barely receded at all leaving tons of sticky lace down the sides of the glass that were still present come the next morning! Incredible. The aroma defied description for me to be honest. Rich notes of vanilla and oak just overwhelmed everything, bourbon like I have never smelled before just totally dominating everything that was around it. Simply incredible I have to say. Warming brings out loads of chocolate, hints of coffee, more vanilla and oak aroma, just too complex to put into words, the three of us were falling over ourselves over this one to say the least. Then I took a sip and it was over. Stunning is not a strong enough word. This is just amazing. Rich, decadent chocolate notes wrapped into a full on a explosion of bourbon and vanilla notes just leaves me looking for more, and more, and more. Just amazing. The depth and complexity here is something that I have not scene, or at least rarely seen before. Rich cocoa and coffee notes coming through now, all the while the bourbon and vanilla never losing sight of the overall prize. Who knows where the ABV is open this one but it is one of the best, if the best sipper I have come across for a cold rainy night.

Overall I do not have enough good things to say about this. I had tried long and hard to find one of these and I am really glad that I did. It was simply amazing. I would have no issue at all with going after this one again, in fact, please send me another!

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

Aged in Maker's Mark barrels for 8 or 9 months, this was on tap at West End in Boulder for a couple wonderful weeks.

This had great Bourbon smell, the power, the body, and the taste. It was great to start with, and only got better after a snifter-full. Actually, after I realized they serve pints, I didn't mess with the snifter. I went back 5 days until it was gone.

Even though they had changed the keg on the sixth day, they thought there might be some in the line, but when it poured, the head was not ink-black, so I knew there was no more Yeti. This Maker's Mark Yeti had a darker head than Guiness, regular Yeti, Espresso Yeti, Belgian Yeti, Chocolate Yeti, Old Rasputin, Deliverance, Mephistopheles, and anything else I had before. I was really impressed by the appearance. I wish I could give a 6.

I don't know the Official beer criteria, but bear with me.

4.94/5  rDev +15.2%

4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

750ml bottle poured into snifter 2015 version

A: deep rich black no light escaping very little head but what is there is a rich chocolate color

S: tons of fudgey thick chocolate, oak wood like when you are in the Jack Daniel's distillery with all the oak barrel and deep rich black leather like being a saddlery or a leather coat shop, and whiskey

T: my god it grips your tongue with just bourbon soaked fudge, nice woody leather without any of the sweetness a lot of these beers have. Reminds you of wood and leather with a deep chocolate fudge richness but all of the flavor.

M: surprisingly viscous for a BA beer it envelops your tongue and coats it with wood and bourbon its amazing.

O: This beer is flat out fucking amazing one of the best BA stouts I have come across I do not see any weaknesses at all in its color, smell, taste, or feel it is flawless.

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Thanks to two fine traders, wyoming & fiver29, who offered me a bottle of this brew that I'd been lusting after for a long time within one week of one another. If I had to choose between these two A+ traders, I'd refuse under torture. Thanks guys, I hope we meet many times again in boxes & styrofoam peanuts.

Bottle 94/1104, split with my wife on an evening without children. Pour is dead, starless night, with some mocha scattered along its crown. Smell is absolutely, fuck-on beautiful, with the Stranahan's coming out to meet the malts dead-on, with both playing Bach in my nose hairs. Roast touches my senses, too.

Barrel Aged Yeti. Wow. This pummels my palate, then veers off in another direction, & ultimately coats my mouth about fifteen seconds after the first sip, settling in, dominating everything it touches, whisking away everything else I've tasted today (& yesterday). The barrel is something else. Vanilla & whiskey rising in Capricorn, washing all the other flavors. Deep, Hades-deep, malts provide a stunning background for the barrel. Roast comes through underneath, submissive to the whiskey but providing an offsetting bite.

The balance on this beer is simply superb. That's the only way to describe it. Drinkable? I could put away a couple of these by myself & probably wake up in Charon's boat. Swigging it is pure joy, it's silky smooth, no heat at all, no alcohol, just dark, bitter flavors melded expertly with the barrel.

Why is this not in the top 100? That's a crime. One of the best beer of 2010 for me to date, & one of the best barrel-aged beers I've had. Hats off to Great Divide, & I can't wait try the rest of this series now.

4.91/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Thank you ThisWangsChung!

A close 5 for me. This is incredibly dense to the point I am too drunk to review it. A sincerely delicious barrel-aged stout that has a prolific sweetness balanced by its ABV.

Barrel Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company