Barrel Aged Yeti | Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

This unique version of Yeti Imperial Stout is aged for at least nine months in Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey barrels.

Added by ArrogantB on 10-08-2008

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Served in a stemless wine snifter.

Big thanks to Homebrew311 for sharing this bottle!

2011 vintage, bottle #1904. With this bottle, I have finally finished my trek through all of the Yeti variants (that I know of, anyway...). I feel closer to complete than before... Anyway, this stuff pours a straight obsidian topped by a finger of sienna foam. Yeah, it's good-looking, but somehow not as attractive as some of the other variants... The nose comprises whiskey, light oak, cocoa, roasted malts, maple syrup, and molasses. The taste brings in more of the same, along with more chocolate and some light red grape notes. The body is a hefty-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fairy rich feel. Overall, a damn fine stout, one that utilizes the barrel-aging very well (unsurprising). Good times.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Paul very graciously split a bottle of this with me on my porch last night.

Bottle 491/1104

This beer appears a near black with about one inch of beige head resting atop the darkness. There is a nice coating of lacing throughout the glass. The aroma is big, with a heavy whiskey presence followed by roasted malt and chocolate. BA Yeti is a great tasting beer, no doubt. I thoroughly enjoyed my half of the bottle. While there is certainly some noticeable heat in both the aroma and taste, I never felt that it detracted from the overall flavor of the beer. The feel is thick, viscous and wonderful with a warming alcohol finish. This beer was a treat, and I really enjoyed it.

3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle from Colonial Spirits
Solid black color small tan head. Roasty light fruit, light oak. Hints of coffee and chocolate. Very flavorful beer, but I found the body and mouthfeel a bit light I'm sure the tannic aspects of the barrel made me perceive this. I think I prefer the regular version.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

3.65/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 bottle, opened at TN whales tasting 3/16/2013.

Pours dark black, creamy coffee colored head but not a lot of it.

Smells of tangy sweet fruit, caramel and vanilla, a bit of bourbon, something slighty grassy that I imagine is from faded hops.

Taste is fudgy but light, wood and caramel, that mild grassy character again.

Nicely carbed for a big BA stout, body is a little thinner than I'd like but still good.

This is a good beer but pretty disappointing to me. I'm a huge fan of regular Yeti with a few years on it, and I've been enjoying the hell out of my last few bottles of 2008 Yeti, so I figured this would be phenomenal. But oddly I get more faded hop character from the BA version, and less of the delicious mellow maltiness.

7.3/10

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.41/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to Joe for sharing this one. Served in a smaller pint glass sort of thing at Bad Apple.

A - A couple fingers of late-rising dark mocha foam that does the reverse-cascading waterfall deal. Dissipates to a thin ring, and coats the sides of the glass with a sticky film - no lace though. Pitch black in the low light conditions, although I didn't see anything else even when I held it directly up to the light.

S - Initially it has a strong dark fruit character, although the Stranahan whiskey comes out as it warms up. The whiskey has a largely vanilla character, although there some sharp tangy oak that vainly tried to offset an otherwise intensely sweet smelling beer.

T - The taste is very similar, but there's an unfortunate burnt plastic/char taste in the background. Otherwise it's dark fruit, molasses, and vanilla galore. Pretty yummy, but starts verging on diabetic by the end of my pour.

M - Very low carbonation, viscous and syrupy. Dry tannic finish, and a bit of heat. It's right on for a barrel-aged RIS.

D - Between the odd char aftertaste, liquid diabetes, and high ABV it's not the most drinkable of stouts, but it's still a solid effort. That being said, I think I prefer the intense hoppiness of regular old Yeti.

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

2011 vintage, bottle #2866.

This beer pours a full bodied lifeless black in color with only the slightest beige lacing. The nose features plenty of dark roasted malt, smooth milk chocolate, bitter chocolate, light whiskey but I don't find it to be Stranahans specific. It is exceptionally smooth. The flavors are very well integrated. It features dark roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, oak, light whiskey and slight char. It's nice and even resembles some aged Dark Lords. I really like it, but it isn't too terribly far from the original. It drinks full bodied and oily, perfect for the style. Overall this is a fantastic beer, thank god it wasn't infected!

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Great Divide tulip. Pours pitch black, opaque in the glass with a fine one finger dark brown head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of whiskey, dark toasted malt, vanilla and dark stone fruit, molasses. Flavor is sweet dark toasted malt, vanilla, hint of lactose and dark stone fruit, whiskey; starts sweet and malty and ends fairly boozy, but with enough malt body to support the whiskey. Medium to heavy, creamy body with good carbonation. Nice mouth feel. A very nice barreled RIS; the great Yeti stout body shines through and supports the hefty barrel character. There is a dark fruit flavor that is not in the base Yeti, but adds a little interest to the taste. Rich and flavorful, perhaps still a bit hot, but thoroughly enjoyable. Glad I finally got to try this Yeti version. A great variation on one of my favorite stouts.

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The appearance is a pitch black body with a two finger tan foamy head that when it dies leaves some nice clingy foamy lacing in rings. The smell has some chocolate and coffee coming through in a woody sort of way. Light vanilla enters in as it warms up. The taste is bittersweet through previously mentioned flavors. On the palate, it sits about a medium to heavy and demonstrates that its not that sessionable. Carbonation is barely there leads to a nice smooth feel all around. Overall, an absolutely fantastic barrel aged imperial stout well worthy of having again.

3.96/5  rDev -7.7%

Rarest of the five incarnation of the yeti, shared at a tasting recently. Very excited about this one.

Beer served in a tiny tulip. Beer is pitch black, even at the corners. Forms a brown head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. I can't tell the carbonation levels but at the interface of the glass I can't see any activity. Doesn't mean much though.

Aroma is hot. Lots of alcohol in there. What's the % on this? 12? You can smell it for sure. Nice malt sweetness and some roasted stuff as well. I can't really smell the barrel. I suppose that's good.

Beer is medium to full bodied and pretty sweet. Would the sweetness go down aftertime or would it sour at all if left alone? Beer finishes slightly dry and there is a lot of boozy / subtle wood character. Overall the beer was good but I should have had it with the Oak aged side by side. So far that's been my favorite.

Barrel Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company