Barrel Aged Yeti | Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

This unique version of Yeti Imperial Stout is aged for at least nine months in Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey barrels.

Added by ArrogantB on 10-08-2008

#576
Liked:
4.31/5
Alströms:

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Regular Oak Aged Yeti is one of my favorite all time beers. The whiskey barrel aging has an impact. I actually prefer the oak aged, but this is still spectacular.

Pours dark brown with short brown head. Initial smell reminds me of chocolate but with whiskey volatility. Flavor is very complex with roasted flavors, whiskey fighting for dominance. The aftertaste really shines here, initial flavors continue to evolve after you put your glass down. You know it's a big beer but not overwhelmed by the alcohol, mouthfeel is superb.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

I honestly think regular Yeti and its oak aged variants are horribly overrated, over-hopped, and underwhelming. I've heard great things about barrel aged Yeti, but I'm still not sure what possessed me to purchase a bottle, especially given that it's the most expensive beer I've ever bought.

Boy am I glad I took the plunge. Barrel aging does wonderful things to this beer. Gone is the ridiculous and wholly inappropriate hop profile, and in its place stands one of the best BA stouts I've ever had, and what is certainly the thickest. At only about four months old, this beer tastes and feels like chocolate syrup. I split this bottle with friends, and we all agreed that it was outstanding. If you like Yeti, you'll probably love it. If you, like me, cannot understand the appeal of Yeti, you might even like it more.

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review 1400: Pours dark, sludge-like consistency. The barrel aroma was all over the place the moment the cap was cracked open. The aroma is fantastic; so much barrel and chocolate notes that translate into the taste. Thick, chewy, mouthfeel. This is a full-bodied stout and I'm glad I was able to get one more bottle to age. Get it if you like BA-stouts, it's worth it, cheers!

4.74/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Look: Midnight black, with a thin brown head that dies expectedly quickly and leaves spotty brown lacing.

Smell: Good Lord, what a rich, complex, sweet smell. Bourbon, chocolate covered raisins, vanilla, toasted coconut, black cherries, plums, oak, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, chocolate syrup, brown sugar, coffee, toasted brown bread.

Taste: Brown sugar, molasses, and burnt toast upfront. Dark fruits throughout the middle. Burnt raisins, dark cherries, plums, and prunes. Chocolate syrup sweetness with distant coffee. Finishes with surprisingly mild warmth and bourbon, vanilla, toasted coconut, oak, more raisin, earth, and pine, with lingering sweetness of dark chocolate/chocolate syrup, butterscotch candy, chocolate cake, and coffee.

Feel: Medium-bodied. Smooth. Light carbonation. Not as good as I'd hoped, but it's quite drinkable.

Overall: This is an excellent and rare BBA stout that it totally worth buying. It smells as good as BCBS, but the taste and mouthfeel fall short. Still fantastic, though!

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Unreal beer . Whiskey is right at the front of the nose and dark chocolate. Taste follows with chocolate up front with dark fruits. The mouth feel is so creamy and full. The barrel just kicks the already yeti up a notch and doesn't dissapoint. Up there with the best barrel aged stouts I've had . Only downside is the price point.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Bottle from Colonial Spirits
Solid black color small tan head. Roasty light fruit, light oak. Hints of coffee and chocolate. Very flavorful beer, but I found the body and mouthfeel a bit light I'm sure the tannic aspects of the barrel made me perceive this. I think I prefer the regular version.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Big, bold beer with a nose to match - aroma of chocolate, roasted malt, toffee, raisins, plums and figs. Very sweet taste that overwhelms any traces of bourbon; no vanilla, coconut or any alcohol heat. For some that's a plus, but for me I really missed these flavors on the back end of the sip; it's why I buy BA stouts. Still a very good beer but, I have to say it, it's might expensive for what it lacks.

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Thank you ThisWangsChung!

A close 5 for me. This is incredibly dense to the point I am too drunk to review it. A sincerely delicious barrel-aged stout that has a prolific sweetness balanced by its ABV.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

4.14/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a motor oil black body with minimal brown head that quickly died without lace. Aroma is chocolaty, good notes of vanilla and wood, along with hints of dark fruits like plum or raisin. Beer is so smooth, despite its thick, somewhat breadlike or chewy, body, it is watery slick at times. Booze is hidden so dangerously easy sipper that balances chocolate, vanilla, whiskey, touches of roasted malts and hints of dark fruits like raisins or plums (maybe figs). I apologize for hyperbole but this is one of the sweetest and easiest drinking stouts I've had, a fact I find even more complimentary of beer when considering it has such a high ABV.

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Barrel Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company