Barrel Aged Yeti | Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

This unique version of Yeti Imperial Stout is aged for at least nine months in Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey barrels.

Added by ArrogantB on 10-08-2008

#576

3.96/5  rDev -8.1%

Rarest of the five incarnation of the yeti, shared at a tasting recently. Very excited about this one.

Beer served in a tiny tulip. Beer is pitch black, even at the corners. Forms a brown head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. I can't tell the carbonation levels but at the interface of the glass I can't see any activity. Doesn't mean much though.

Aroma is hot. Lots of alcohol in there. What's the % on this? 12? You can smell it for sure. Nice malt sweetness and some roasted stuff as well. I can't really smell the barrel. I suppose that's good.

Beer is medium to full bodied and pretty sweet. Would the sweetness go down aftertime or would it sour at all if left alone? Beer finishes slightly dry and there is a lot of boozy / subtle wood character. Overall the beer was good but I should have had it with the Oak aged side by side. So far that's been my favorite.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev -7.4%

A: pours black with half a finger of brown head that fades into a thin ring with little lacing.

S: lots of burnt sugar and vanilla here with sweet chocolate, toffee, and bourbon following through.

T: burnt sugar dominates here as well with toffee, vanilla, sweet cocoa, and bourbon after. The finish is moderately boozy.

M: thick, sticky sweet body with low carbonation, this beer is thick and sticky.

O: a good bbal stout, overall. Very barrel-forward and sweet, but still enjoyable.

3.99/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Bottle # 458/470 share with DrewOSU, FTownthrowdown and pwoods last night. This bottle was courtesy of a recent trade with pkeigs. Thanks for the trade, Patrick!!!

Today marks a very special day for me... Due to the addictive qualities to facebook.com, I was able to locate my best friend growing up. I haven't had any form of communication with him in 15 YEARS, so Brian - this special beer is dedicated to you...

A: Pours an ultra dark brown/black with sparse, light brown, big bubbles. No lacing and and a few big bubbles remain after the beer settles.

S: After the initial pour, the people I shared this with immediately realized it was too cold, so we all stood around like idiots trying to warm the beer cupped in our hands. Note: DEFINITELY smell and drink this at the recommended temperatures (The closer to 55 degrees, the better!)... After holding in my hands for 5-10 minutes, the nose came out MUCH better... I got moderate mix of whiskey, followed by some woodiness like oak, light molasses, chocolate, heavily roasted malts and vanilla. Let that beer warm up and it turns into a very pleasing nose...

T/M: Medium/Full flavored and bodied. Low carbonation. Much like the nose, I get a burst of wood and whiskey, followed by coffee, heavy chocolates, molasses, vanilla, and dark fruits.

Overall, it was a very nice blend and highly enjoyable. I don't think this one needs additional aging. All the flavors blend well now. If it wasn't for the following three factors, I would have made the drinkability factor much higher:
1) Rareness
2) price point
3) bottle format (I would have preferred 12 ounce bottles)

At any rate, glad I had the opportunity to try this!

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Barrel Aged Yeti from Great Divide Brewing Company