Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Claymore Scotch Ale | Great Divide Brewing Company

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-22-2009

Ratings: 1,527 |  Reviews: 503
3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

From the 12 oz bottle in a snifter. This always welcome ale pours a deep
and very dark mahogany with cola highlights and a decent head of off white
foam that fades to a thin ring with scant lacing. Nose of mild smoked malts,
brown sugars, and subtle berry notes. Flavors hit the perfect note for the style
with a nice lightly smoked peat malt flavor mingling with brown sugars and light
berry notes of blackberry and mild peach with a lightly balanced bitterness from
herbal hops. excellent mouth feel----medium light carbonation, medium mouth feel,
and a rich lightly smoke touched malt driven finish.

Overall, this is what I look for in a good scotch ale.

Solid

Cheers

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured dark brown with beige head that dissipated within the first couple minutes.
The aroma was caramel malts with a faint smokiness and a little bit of dark fruit.
The flavor was very sweet and caramelly with a pronounced toastiness and a light piney ness on the finish. The butteriness was lighter than in most scotch ales I've had, but was there.
The mouthfeel was coating and sticky.
Overall it's a solid beer, I'm a pretty big great divide fan and this beer is no exception. It's a very solid option in a style that is not my favorite.

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

My first ever irish ale coming from being a hop head.

A: Very dark but ever so slightly opaque color Very little head, but lots of bubbles.

S: Lots of sesame oil/nutty smell, a bit of smokiness, lots of malty sweetness

T: Very similar to the smell. Sweet malts rush over the tongue initially, then you get a deep nutty/smokiness and a bit of hop bitterness at the end. Nutty/smokiness stays in mouth for a very long time.

M: Fairly full bodied and highly carbonated.

O: Since this is my first irish ale, i have nothing to compare it to. But im not the hugest fan, it honestly tastes a lot like sesame oil with a bunch of malts, but it's still easy to drink and has a great mouthfeel.

4.31/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have several Great Divide bottles hanging around & what with today being NBS (Week 653), I decided to make this the third beer in my next brewery horizontal. There is an upside to The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody & the opportunity to conduct & CANduct such horizontals is it.

From the bottle: "CLAYMORE SCOTCH ALE Named for a medieval Scottish sword, Claymore Scotch Ale is our tribute to the legendary 'Wee Heavy' beers of Scotland. This malty, deep-ruby beauty features lots of caramel sweetness, a reserved hop profile, and a hearty character. Unlike its namesake, this beer only requires one hand, but it'll make you feel like nobility."; "Great Minds Drink Alike"; "Suggested Food Pairings: Braised pot roast, seared lamb chops, rosemary white beans, grilled sweet potatoes, Morbier cheese, bourbon bread pudding." OMFG, ALL of those sound marvy, just on their own!

I begin this review with a quote from Jarhead (why do the Marines get such great movies & the Navy gets short shrift?): "Hey, Swoff. Which way do I mount this? (pointing towards a Claymore land mine)" "What does it say?"; "'Front toward enemy.' Oh, yeah." "Got to be a clue." "Thanks. Sorry." Hahaha!

Let's see, which way do I Pop! the cap on this bottle? Upside down, behind my back? NO! I am a retired sailor who learned how not to piss all over his hands & feet in boot camp & I can actually count to 100 & recite my ABCs, unlike my jarhead brethren who need to be reminded to breathe & who can count to potato on a good day after intense study.

There was movement in the wire & when the first Claymore exploded, I Pop!ped both smoke & the cap for an emergency dust-off. We're f**king surrounded by beer here, man! I was gentle in my pour, but once it was sufficiently decanted, I gave the insurgents a vigorous swirl to remember me by as the evac choppers began to land. Besides the dust, I managed to raise just over a finger of dense, foamy, light-tan head with decent retention. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality & garnet highlights. Nose was rich & sweet with notes of peat malt, chocolate, coffee, napalm, death & other hazardous adjuncts. I fully expected metal spikes to erupt once I got a mouthful. Mouthfeel was medium, surprising light for the style, but now I stood alongside MacBeth, cutting m'f'ers from the naves to the chops! I hear that Lady of his is one hot number. A psycho, but hot as Hades. She must be a ginger. Man, from the jungles of Viet Nam to the foot of high Dunsinane, concealed within Burnham Wood, just from one sip! The taste was very much of smoky, peaty Scotch whiskey. I am more into Rye, but I will drink the occasional Scotch. They just fired a Willy Peat (sorry) flare into the castle & now, the inhabitants are evacuating & in retreat! I must join my brethren in glorious battle against this traitorous, murdering ascendant to the throne. Finish was dry, smoking from the heated battle as they parade MacBeth's head on a pike! Gad, I miss those days!

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass, maybe not vigorously enough as there is no head and no lacing at all. It looks like flat cola. Fortunately, the smell and taste are better, as is the mouthfeel. Now that my palate seems to have grown weary of super-hopped *everything*, I am pleased that there is little hop bitterness here. The flavor is earthy - kind of dirty, but in a good way. Carbonation is moderate even though it looks flat sitting in the glass.

It's not my favorite, but it is solid.

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap:
Pours a dark, near black to deep mahogany, though the edges show a little dark ruby. Cap of beige just sits there, rolling with the flow - almost looks like a nitro pour.

Nose is quite peaty, almost like a smoked beer. Smoked meat with the lightest roasted note behind it.

Thin feel with medium heft. The nose comes through in the beer. There's a nice little malty sweetness to this beer under the peat/smoke. An amber ale base sneaks through as it warms.

A tasty brew, malty and smokey. Could maybe use a hint, just a little, of extra bitterness.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

4.66/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Not to shabby. Had it in a flight and would definitely order a pint.

Claymore Scotch Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company