Claymore Scotch Ale | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-22-2009

Ratings: 1,514 |  Reviews: 499
2.62/5  rDev -32.3%

Appearance - Pours a brownish black with barely any head at all. A little carbonation with poor to average lacing. Looks like coffee quite a bit.

Smell - Dark fruits, barley and malts are present right away. Prunes are slightly present as well. It does not smell hoppy at all.

Taste - Yeasty and filled with dark fruits, specifically plumbs. I also get a tangy cherry zing followed by a maple, brown sugar and coffee aftertaste. It does, however, taste quite medicinal. I agree with a below reviewers comments about it tasting quite buttery.

Mouthfeel - Bitter and quite alcoholic.

Drinkability - A little hard for me to get through, but quite tasty in some respect. The flavors were very complex.

Verdict - I enjoyed the dark fruits and buttery taste, but it isn't uncommon to find that in a lot of beers. While the taste was complex, it didn't respectfully agree with my taste buds.

2.62/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

L: Coca-Cola, very minimal head, no lacing to speak of.

S: Faint sweetness, burnt sugar, very obvious alcohol

T: Sweet, mostly but an empty space. Hints of barley on the edges.

F: Limpid, no carbonation, watery

O: Vague sweetness that's hard to pin down when one actually tries to locate it (though a sweet aftertaste that's easily found).

2.68/5  rDev -30.7%

Pretty standard for the style. It's got a beautiful dark ruby color with slight caramel and brings a warming characteristic.

2.77/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

To me, scotch ale is all about mouthfeel and maltiness.
This has too much black patent malt tilting it towards a smokey tipple. A bit high on the carbination as well. Doubtfull I'll buy again, too many others that deliver the malty silkiness I associate and appreciate in this style.

2.81/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; I've had this before and wasn't impressed.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger khaki colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention. Body colour is a nontransparent opaque solid black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Bland toasted malts, light toffee, caramel, must, and wood, actually. The wood was unexpected. Burnt fruit. A moderate strength aroma, but far from great for the style. Lacks subtlety. Where's the vanilla, heavy toasted malt, well executed caramel, and vibrant warmth I expect from a good wee heavy?

T: Toffee, middling caramel, and generic malts. A bit cardboard-esque as it progresses towards the boring finish. No yeast character. Buried generic stonefruit; perhaps a hint of raisin. Imbalanced and simply built. Lacks the good attributes of a good wee heavy; Backwoods Bastard or Old Chub this is not. No alcohol comes through. Meh.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Good thickness up front, but it thickens towards the back end to its detriment. Slightly overcarbonated. Dry right on the finish to ill effect. Unmotivated and untailored to its flavour profile.

Dr: Drinkable but pedestrian. A surprisingly forgettable offering from what may be Denver's best brewery. I wouldn't have it again. Hides its ABV nicely, but it doesn't bring much to the table as a wee heavy. I'll stick to Old Chub as my wee heavy of choice for Colorado. This doesn't cut it.

Lowish C

2.82/5  rDev -27.1%

Still feel pretty clueless as to what a Wee Heavy is supposed to entail, as everyone I've tried seems radically different from the last (Founder's Dirty Bastard is excellent).
Fruity nose. Malty, but an oddly thin mouthfeel. I taste pears, caramel, tobacco, and a lingering sourness. At first this tasted like a Dubbel without the funky yeast, but the further I get into the beer, each sip finishes with a charcoaled wood taste that ruins everything that comes before it.
I dig Great Divide. Even when I've sipped on styles I don't like, I recognize that they've done an above average job. I love a malt bomb, but this is the only beer of theirs I don't like.

2.87/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Man, do I really really REALLY miss McEwens now. Searching for a new Scotch Ale to fall in love with I've been trying them all. Old Chub from Dale's has been my go to so far. So this time I thought I'd try Claymore since it finally showed up here. Poured a nice caramel tawny golden brown, some head but not much. Tasted sweet and roasty, some bite but more of a malty mouthful. But after 10 min -- no head and flat. What a huge disappointment.

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

A- pours dark brown, almost black, and nearly opaque but just a touch of light coming through the pint glass.

S- some smokiness and a touch of a chocolate roastiness in it. Smokiness seems to come from some peat.

T- Smokiness comes through in the taste as the dominant flavor, not much else is noticeable. I expected more malts flavors.

M- seems a little thin, almost no carbonation.

O- Well, this wasn't quite what I was expecting. I've enjoyed different smoke beers in the past, and this seems to be the dominant piece of this beer, but it just doesn't quite pull it off. If I'm looking for a scotch ale I'll go elsewhere, as this is just average.

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%

Presentation: Poured into a tulip glass from a bottle, same as the one pictured. Bottled on: APR 29 2010, printed on label.

A: Black with a mild reddish tint. Thin off-white head and minimal lacing.

S: Rasted malts all the way. Some caramel, coffee and booze.

T&M: Tastes better than the smell. Fairly sweet with a good bit caramel and coffee taste. Almost like a cross between a porter and a stout. Light to medium bodied.

Decent, but definitely not my style of beer. I guess it is good compared to it's description of style with the exception of the body. It ends fairly thin, almost watery.

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a deep opaque reddish brown with a nice tan head, but it goes away pretty soon. Bit of caramelly malt on the nose and not a whole lot else, definitely looking for more here. Must say that the beer is totally tasty and drinkable, but wanted a whole lot more complexity out of something like this. No alcohol burn, no roast, no toast, no smoke, just a big malty beer, a bit of hoppiness for balance but only noticible as keeping the malt from becoming cloying. It doesn't taste bad, it just isn't as flavorful as it might be. Good through the mouth, can kick it back easier than you might want to. All in all, a slightly above average beer. Nothing is bad or wrong about it so much as it just fails to stand out, especially for a style with some room to play with.

Claymore Scotch Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company