Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Colette Farmhouse Ale | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by ArrogantB on 04-25-2009

Ratings: 1,715 |  Reviews: 473

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

My first Saison.

Pours out very golden with a lot of white and fluffy head.

Smells strongly of Belgian yeast, fruit notes and earthy grass.

The taste is very strongly dominated by wet grass/hay and earthy notes with hints of fruits. Pretty dry and finishes very crisp and clean.

I know a lot of these things are typical for the style, but I wasn't a huge fan. That said, it's not a terrible beer, just not a favorite.

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a straw color with minimal white head. Nose is mixed citrus, with a hint of human bile & pineapple. Some barnyard on the nose too. On the palate there's some spice, pineapple, more funk, and a zesty-lemony citrus quality. Finishes lemony and cracker-like, rather dry cracker like.

3.04/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic.

Pour this in a glass and serve it to one of your BMC buddies with a cold. Because this looks just like another lite beer, there's absolutely none of the cloudiness other reviewers note, just a clear piss yellow. As long as they can't smell it, they wouldn't know it wasn't Miller Light until it hit their tastebuds. Aroma is a nice funkiness from the yeast and some typical Belgian fruits, nothing out of the ordinary. The taste is pretty alright. Now, I know I don't usually like Belgian styles like this, I'd normally just pass it up, but I loved the bottle and heard it was more approachable and drinkable. But instead, it took out anything interesting that Saisons usually have and replaced it with overpowering generic yeastiness and frutiness with a bit of spiciness. Not my bgag.

The mouthfeel was fairly nice though, it's crisp and well-carbonated. But overall, I didn't really enjoy this beer. Then again, it's not a style I tend to enjoy, so your mileage may vary.

3.05/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Almost clear golden color with off-white head. Aroma has farmhouse yeast notes, flowers and some sweet citrus notes. Taste is quite weird. It starts sweet and floral but continues with some dirty rags and dishwater. Light body, medium plus carbonation. The taste of this beers is quite unpleasant, what a shame.

3.05/5  rDev -21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Tank 7 tulip. This beer pours a slightly hazy, lighter then School Bus Yellow with a massive 4 inch cap that leaves fingers of lacing all the way down the sides of the glass. The aroma was pretty prevalent from the pour. A slightly sulfuric aroma poured crept from the bottle right after opening it, just the way I like it. Damp earth, lemon zest, a hint of ground black pepper all mixed together with baled hay. I rather exciting nose from a American Saison. It has my hopes up. Unfortunately the flavor let them down rather considerably. The flavor profile seems to be a muddled jumble of flavors that are never really defined individually but do not come together as a whole either. Up front is the all to sweet mark of quite a bit of pale malts. It underlies the entirety of the flavor profile. Milled barley, slight clove, white pepper and just a bit of coriander. Almost no citrus or grass. Just a bit of wheat tang, no fruit and for some reason the after flavor really bothers me. I cant quite put my finger on the flavor but it irks me something badly. The mouthfeel is hands down the hardest aspect to nail on a Saison, and this one misses the mark. Medium bodied with almost a creamy aspect, not really dry at all. Sugary. Where are those high temperatures they were talking about. Other then the spices, I really don't think esters play that much of a role in the anything. I know I'm hard on Saisons. They are my favorite style and I really do love GD, but Colette just doesn't do it for me.

Colette Farmhouse Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company