Dunkel Weiss | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by jamie2dope on 04-29-2009

Reviews: 90 | Ratings: 119
1.45/5  rDev -59.9%

Had this side by side with Weihenstephaner's Dunkel. I think the comparison made this beer seem pretty awful.
The beer is a ruddy, red, muddy river looking beer with a sizable, reddish head. The head doesnt last long at all and the beer soon looks like stagnant lake water. I thought these German style wheats should have great luxurious heads...

The smell is also strange. Super sweet and caramelly. It reminded me of Michelob Amber Bock but stronger and richer. It seemed like there was caramel and toffee syrup added.

Taste is like the nose, syrupy sweet like artificial caramel.

I did not like this beer. I think I would be able to drink it easier if it werent side by side with the quintessential Dunkel but still I dont think I would like it very much more.

2.1/5  rDev -42%

Bomber from the April bottling that I've cellared since it release. Poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Great Divide's Dunkel Weiss is ruddy caramel with a small off-white head that leaves very light lace.

Smell is estery, really earthy. Reminds me a lot of the 1.5 year old Fantome Hiver that I had last night actually, but it's a little mustier.

Taste is weird, a little fishy actually, or maybe mushrooms. Not loving this at all. Not spoiled though, it's just the esters, spicy clove, a little banana, but overall, it's a big miss by my book.

Mouthfeel is crisper and dry, but no real carbonation, with a medium body.

Drinkability is low, this is not a very good beer at all. Maybe it's better fresh, or maybe it's just a bad beer period. At least this bottle certainly was.

2.21/5  rDev -39%

Great Divide = Great Disappointment. Dunkelweizen is one of my preferred styles, but this doesn't come close to being up to par. Very syrupy; balance is way too malty; and overall I had to pour into the sink.

The proprietary yeast is not close to being what a weiss should represent. Would not purchase again.

2.29/5  rDev -36.7%

Something about this beer is very off-putting to me. I can't really pick up exactly what it is, whether its a bad malt or yeast, or the combination of the yeast and malt, but I am not liking this beer.

Looks good, but smells a little weird and tastes a little weirder. There is this dominant smell/taste that is just pungent/borderline awful to me. I tried to be nice, because I think its on purpose, but I can barely get this down. Sorry. Very sweet, has characteristics of a Heffe/Belgian, again there is something pungent dominating this beer.

2.33/5  rDev -35.6%

A: way too much head, but other than that a nice amber brown color

S: bananas, clove, but also a strong CO2/gassy tone

T: honestly, this is not very good...I do not know if it is because it is over-carbonated or what but it tastes a lot like seltzer water with a very faint banana/clove taste

M: too carbonated

D: I am very disappointed, as I am a big fan of Great Divide and dunkleweizen...I will try it again sometime and update this post if necessary, as I find it hard to believe they would actually sell something this bad, it might just have been mistakenly over-carbonated

2.36/5  rDev -34.8%

I paid $6 for a 22oz bomber which is awfully expensive for a dunkel weizen. I generally respect Great Divide so I went ahead and bought a bottle anyway. My bottle had a recent bottling date of April 17, 2009. When poured, it looked okay. The head was a bit small for a wheat beer, but it wasn't a big deal. The label claimed a German yeast was used, and the aroma seemed to back that up. I could smell a bit of banana/clove character which I like. Unfortunately, the taste was a bit disappointing. It has some of that banana/clove character, but the phenols seem to be slightly out of whack. Either that or they just don't mix well with the slightly off-putting grainy/dark flavor. I like some quality German dunkel weizen beers, but this beer has something in it that doesn't sit well with me. It's almost some sort of unpleasant dirty/dirt-ish flavor. Whatever it is, it gets worse as the beer warms. I was only able to get through half the bomber before I had to dump what was left. I like that GD is doing some new/seasonal beers, but I'll look elsewhere when it comes to dark wheat beers.

2.68/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-pours a dirty dark copper color with red edges. the head is tight and creamy, very light tan color with a nice lace left behind.

S-the nose is quite grainy, a sort of dirty grit and wheat. notes of caramel underneath with a hint medicinal phenol.

T-again, a dirty grain, notes of wheat, nice banana and lemon flavors in the back taken over by a medicinal phenol flavor and touch of bitterness.

M-grainy feel with lots of carbonation in the back and spicy crisp finish. thin in the middle and towards the back, body falls off and is light in the first place.

D-phenolic and thin in the back lingering and bothering me. not a solid beer.

3.12/5  rDev -13.8%

At first taste and look I agreed with what most everyone said about this beer. Pours dark amber...head didn't last but about 10 seconds if that...made the beer look like dirty water fountain water....taste was ok. Not too bad...not too good...average at best. Then I sat down and ate dinner. I had the beer with nearly what they recommended on the side of the bottle. Had fish, potatoes, veggies...and WOW did the flavors really come out of this beer! I really enjoyed it while paired with my food...Try this beer again with something close to what they recommend on the bottle...you might be pleasantly surprised.

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours a reddish amber with a medium off white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet bready malts, bananas and cloves.

The flavor is sweet sugary dark fruits, molasses and some fruitcake spices. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, not my favorite style and this one is too far on the sweet side for me.

3.15/5  rDev -13%

650mL bottle poured into a pilsner glass. Bottled April 17, 2009.

(A)- Pours a hazy reddish mahogany amber that produced an immediately dissipating gray head.

(S)- Fruity esthers of lemon, banana, & apples. Bits of clay & biscuits.

(T)- Rather yeasty with over-ripe banana, lemon, & an apple cider background. I think this might be too old.

(M)- Good carbonation level with a decent balance & feel to it. The flavors are just a bit off for the style; definitely too old.

(D)- Still drinkable, but this was probably much better fresh. Great banana & wheat. Will re-review when I find a fresh one.

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

22 oz bottle into a Weizen glass.

Pours a deep unfiltered coppery amber, with several huge fingers of dirty off-white head. All of that foam eventually shrinks down to a thin filmy look, that leaves just some light patchy lacing behind. The aroma is sticky in the nose with toasted wheat and a good bit of spicy close. I'm getting just a touch of banana here but those ripe fruit aromas I usually associate with the style are mostly subdued here in the nose.

The taste is thick with dark wheat character, with plenty of spice and some light earthy hops laying a strong zip on the tongue. Much like the aroma, I'm getting just a smidge of those fruity esters from the yeast. Strong dry finish on this. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a prickly feel up front that then descends into a much flatter and chewy texture towards the back of the swallow. That 6% seems about right for the feel. There's some heft here but it doesn't seem to hinder the overall presence.

This wasn't horrible or anything but some more depth of fruit character definitely would have been welcome here in the profile, as this mostly came off as a bit 2-note. This was just OK though and is ultimately not one of Great Divides better offerings.

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

A - pours an amberish copper with a billowing white head

S - smells of toasted and caramel malt (which give it the nice color) with a bit of grass and citrus

T - starts off with caramel malts that take over the palette. This fades to a bit of toasted malt and some nice, light citrus hops. The caramel malt flavors return on the exhale, making this a nice malty wheat beer.

M - a little light on the mouthfeel, but goes down smoothly

D - pretty decent dunkel weiss beer...I picked it up for 1.79, which was a steal. I would stick to brewers across the pond next time I go back to this style. Pretty good though.

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a light brown with a two-finger head that takes forever to die and leaves minor lace around the glass. A funky roasted malt aroma and hints of bready yeast but not much sweetness nor is there very much in way of lemon/citric zest or spices. Light-to-medium bodied that for some reason has a smokey edge and while trying to combine with the spices and citric hops it doesn't mesh well. So basically a rather dry malted hefe with very little in the citric/spice taste category that is well-carb'd so it finishes crisp, dry but bland. Minimal sweet malts like caramel and very hard to notice pepper and clove in there as well. A nice attempt at this style but not very good and the price isn't exactly inviting me to buy another.

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

22 oz. bottle tried 25 Jul 2010. Served in the Paulaner weizen glass.

Medium foamy khaki colored head. Medium carbonation. Cloudy brick red color. Aroma is a bit lighter than expected, borwn sugar and yeast. Sweet and clovey. Slightly bready. Some brown sugar and banana. Chewy body. Minimal ethanol. Fruity nutty sweetness in the aftertaste.

Overall flavors seem a bit watered down and muted. Would not get this again at $7/22 oz.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Murky brown with a light tan head that fades quickly.

There's a weird mix of characteristics going on in this one. The banana/clove character that I was expecting is quite muted, which isn't necessarily a bad thing considering most American brewed examples taste like banana Runts. Other than the mild yeast I get a solid dose of bready/toasty malt and just a dusting of diluted cocoa. All of these characteristics are at home in the style, but they just don't seem to meld well in this one.

I've found Great Divide almost always does a style justice, but this is one that didn't do it for me. Not that it's a bad beer, but it's a style I typically enjoy and I found this one to be a bit muddled and well overpriced.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a chestnut brown with ruby hues and a foamy, light tan head that quickly dissipates to leave only faint traces of lacing to accompany the lively bubble of carbonation.

A unique aroma seems to offer the yeast of a hefe and the hearty malt of a Marzen, yet also hints of cocoa. It is earthy, yet zesty, with the german malts really becoming present as it warms.

The flavor is similar with a mix of German malts and yeast with lemon zest and a touch of spice/coriander.

Light to medium in body with medium carbonation and a crisp finish.

A decent take on the style, perhaps a touch heavy on the malt, but certainly worth a try.

3.26/5  rDev -9.9%

Bottled 4/2010

A- Cloudy, murky copper brown color. The head is tan with a very impressive, copious quantity of lacing which coats the glass like drapery and is retained forever.

S- Muted, but evolving and opening over time, the aroma was unexpected. Roast, mocha, and wet cardboard. No classic Dunkel Weiss aromatic characteristics of soft banana & spice were detectable.

T- Sweet roasty malt & toffee on the attack. The mid palate is dominated by a strong roasted hazelnut flavor. The finish is of hazelnut & mocha. No classic Dunkel Weiss flavor characteristics of soft banana & spice were detectable.

Unlike a true classic Dunkel Weiss, but not unpleasant, as the rich sweet malt was quite good. Perhaps this should have been more accurately labeled as a "Hazelnut Brown Ale".

3.29/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into my Brooklyn-Schneider Hopfen-Weisse glass a murky russett color with a great fluffy two finger white head that settled slowly into a frothy mass leaving broken chunks of lace behind in its wake.Aromas of chocolate malt and clove mainly,much more chocolate than any other of the style I have had.I hate to say it but the flavors for me are average to below average for the style for me,mainly chocolate weheat malt flavors with light clove,no complexity or nuances.I love GD,one of my favorite breweries but this really doesnt hit home for me.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

GLASS: Weizen Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

Pours up a dark amber/caramel color. Almost two-fingers of tan foam make the head. Retention is good. Lacing is medium thickness and slightly slippery.

Good wheat notes. Nice caramel maltiness. A nice yeast presence. Light hints of dark fruits and a slight touch of spiciness.
A subtle nose, for the style.

Nice dark wheat notes. Light touches of sweet, dark, fruits, along with bananas and apples. A good amount of yeastiness, but not over dominant. Mild traces of cloves and a good nuttiness.

Medium body, with a medium to full level of carbonation. The carbonation seems to detract from the overall enjoyment.

This is good, and easily drinkable, but not really all that memorable, sadly. This is my lowest rated from Great Divide, other than Hades.

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%

a: ruby red color, thick foamy head, moderate bubbly activity, with decent lacing
s: tempered aromas of banana bread
t: banana bread with wheat consistent throughout, finishes a little rough with traces of tartness
m: medium body maybe a little under-carbonated
d: pretty drinkable until you get to the finish where it almost seemed like things fell apart. not too memorable

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Is dunkelweiss one word or two? Pours a mostly cloudy light brown color. I checked not much yeast. A soft off white head with ok retention and not much lacing to boot.

The nose is light overall. Some hints of malt. A very light chocolate backing but limited. Some banana character but limited cloves that could use some balance. Some bubblegum and a light minerally aroma. Almost salty in a way.

The taste is a bit more descript. Some malty undertones with a light caramel/munich taste. No real hint of wheat. The chocolate in the nose is gone. Would like a touch more complexity here. The yeast comes out but some banana and acetaldehyde. A touch of cloves but still limited. Some esters, rose peddles and figs.

The body is a bit dry for style. Could use a bit more complexity overall. Carbonation is light as well. Overall some minor off notes, but could use some more depth and wheat. Easy drinking though.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass. The label indicates this was bottled 4/16/2009, so it is a little old but probably still fine.

Appearance: clear, rich copper color with a finger of ivory foam. It may be just me but I like a little cloudiness to my dunkelweizens and a little more action in the foam arena. It's not too bad, though.

Smell: aroma is carameley but not particularly wheaty. Again, it's good, but not exactly what I'm looking for in this style of beer.

Taste: the flavor has a little wheat to it, but it's mostly caramel malt flavor with a healthy dose of nuttiness. This is a lot more like a nut brown ale than a dunkelweizen; for all that, it's not bad, though perhaps a bit sweet for my taste.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a relatively nice carbonation to it. A little creaminess without much sticky staying power -- not bad.

Drinkability: as I said, it's a bit sweet for my taste. Plus, I'm in the mood for a dunkelweizen, and this beer simply cannot satiate that jones. I'm disappointed that it's not really what I expected, but it's not a bad beverage by any means.

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%

16oz pour into a pint glass at Kraftworks. This one bumps me up a notch, to bad it was not a memorable beer.

GD Dunkel weiss pours a pretty standard brown with some redness in it when towards light. A nice whitish head that died quickly, sparse lace on this. Smells of nuts, malt, slight peat, chocolate and small roast. Taste is roasted malt up top blending into a nutty assortment going into chocolate. A small earthy hop kick somewhere towards the beginning. Nothing to big. Feel is medium and lightly carbed. It goes down like a dunkel should so there's that. The drinkability on this is not to much because it does nothing for me.

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%

Had this on 2010-06-24 at the Bulls Head Tavern in Lititz, PA.

A - A very unusual, chocolate milk color. Not at all what I'd expect from a Dunkel.

S - Mild, bready, not banana and clove

T - Again, not like a Dunkel but it certainly has a unique taste. It reminds me a little of the malt flavor in their Hercules DIPA, minus the hops of course. It's sweet but not overbearing, certainly come sweet chocalate and a hint of sour on the aftertaste. My wife squeezed a slice of lemon in hers and it certainly changed the taste to her preference but I was enjoying the unusual flavor of this brew.

M - Creamy, medium to thick body, light carbonation

D - Well, I could have had another one at the pub but I needed my hop fix and switched to a Smuttynose IPA so one was enough.

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%

22oz bottle $7.49. Dark chestnut, not brown. Smells quite wheaty and tastes like cloves, wheat, yeasty, not bad for a dunkelweizen at all. Too bad there are plenty of German examples which are cheaper and are obviously a tad bit more authentic. Still, this was interesting and I am glad to see Great Divide releasing new beers in bombers.

Dunkel Weiss from Great Divide Brewing Company