Hoss Oktoberfest Lager | Great Divide Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
greatdivide.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Summer

HOSS is based on the Märzen lagers of Germany. Rich, layered malt notes, with hints of cherry and dark fruits, dominate, while the unique addition of rye imparts a slightly earthy, spicy character. Hoss finishes crisp and dry, and its brilliant red-orange color is a toast to the sunsets that make the perfect backdrop for this beer.

Added by rye726 on 08-05-2009

Liked:
3.74/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,071 |  Reviews: 455

4.83/5  rDev +29.1%

Poured into a balloon glass.

The beer is a Cherry Ruby Amber. That's what I'm calling it. Beautiful frothy cream head that leaves chunks of bubbles and sheets of sticky lacing in it's wake.

The aroma is of faint fruit notes with a delicious sweet caramel warmth.

The taste is so complex. This beer has a sweet fruity beginning with delicious cherry notes. This gives way to a more typical caramel malt body found in marzens. The beer finishes with a nice woody, cinnamon spiciness to fill out a complex taste profile.

Mouthfeel is crisp, bright, slightly dry, and extremely refreshing.

Overall, I cannot believe this surprise. For starters, it's a sneaky Oktoberfest, since it's labeled as a Rye Lager. But on BA, it's a marzen, and the best one I've tried this year.

4.75/5  rDev +27%

4.75/5  rDev +27%

4.72/5  rDev +26.2%

Deep amber color with some ruby tint. Gorgeous foamy khaki head with very nice retention. Dark rye, oak, wood, hops, and creamy malt. Pleasantly earthy and floral. Rye bread, spices, smooth malts and yeast in the beginning of the taste. A fresh, well rounded medium sized body with moderate carbonation. Crisp mouthfeel with a mildly dry yet refreshing finish. Incredibly easy and comfortable to drink.

4.71/5  rDev +25.9%

Very refreshing, I really like this one. I think it is very underrated.

4.65/5  rDev +24.3%

A - Clear, amber red, some lacing

S - Clean, sweet and oaky

T&M - True to the label, malt and cherry up front with a medium, almost buttery feel. Finish is somewhat dry with a slight hop bite.

D - buying a 6er next time.

Another great beer from Great Divide. Incredibly balanced and well crafted, everything I've had from this brewery has been phenomenal and this is no exception...exceptional.

4.64/5  rDev +24.1%

4.62/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.61/5  rDev +23.3%

The reason I really like this beer is its great balance of all things good (malt, rye notes, hops, and various mild background flavors), but not dominated by any one thing. Then, the "drinkability" puts the icing on the cake, with its smoothness and subdued bitterness and a really nice clean finish.

4.6/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

You can always recognize an Oktoberfest beer by its quintessential fall tones; Hoss has the same blistering orange colour that tourists flock to New England to see in the foliage every autumn. If you plan to drink this beer, it'd be a good idea to bring your camera. Plus, its chill haze perfectly conjures to mind those first few crisp, nippy days of autumn.

It's not just that Hoss has one of the most deliciously, super-abundantly rich noses I've smelled in the many-a-märzens I've smelled, but it's unequivocally the most distinctive too. This, I'll assume, can be attributed to the uncustomary addition of rye malts. The bouquet has the rich, toasty, clean Continental maltiness plus a little something ambiguous.

Hoss starts with the best that the style has to offer: a rich, clean, toasty, cheeky-sweet maltiness that offers wholesome, delicious, quenching flavours of lightly browned bread crusts. Then, it throws in an earthy hop bitterness and lightly spicy rye flavour that blows the lid right off the top. I might be less impressed had I have tasted something like this before, but I haven't. As far as I'm concerned, Great Divide now own the style.

This maltiness is fit to pull a plow - if I had a body like this I'd be at the beach every day. The flavour, despite its simplicity, has the depth of an Olympic diving pool and just lingers on and on. It sounds over-dramatic, but I begin to feel like I'm hovering above my own body, watching myself drink this. It's an almost quasi-religious lager experience.

I love Oktoberfest beers as much as the next guy, but I never would have thought in a thousand years I would be rating one as highly (nor enjoying one as much) as I am now. Hoss evidently tells us two things about märzens: one) despite centuries of the finest German craftsmanship, there was still room for improvements; and, two) the only thing more impressive than Great Divide's quality and consistency is their ingenuity.

4.58/5  rDev +22.5%

I've been a fan of ryes before ryes were cool and this one doesn't disappoint.

Pours a rich copper with a 1 inch head that dissipates slowly to one half inch. Thick lacing.

Nose is malty and slightly spicy.

Taste surprisingly starts out sweet and malty, but is followed by spicy rye notes and ends with a nice bitter hop bite. Excellent and complex.

I'd love to try this rascal on tap.

4.57/5  rDev +22.2%

Aroma is of sweet caramel and toastiness. Grain. Pretty good.

Taste is much like that on the nose. Caramel malt begins the sip with a nice thickness...giving way to some toasty and husk flavors on the finish. Perhaps that's from the rye, I'm not clear on that. Reminds me a bit of the Paulaner Oktoberfest with a little less robustness. There's a small bitterness on the finish as well, which really helps wrap the beer up cleanly.

Very, very tasty oktoberfest here. I highly approve of this effort. Spot on!

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

This is simply a classic Oktoberfest. Malt forward without being too sweet with plenty of the banana and clove phenols associated with the style.

Hoss Oktoberfest Lager from Great Divide Brewing Company