Barrel Aged Hibernation Ale | Great Divide Brewing Company

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.09/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2015 Vintage
4 months since bottling

Appearance- Pours very dark mahogony, deep amber/brown w/ hints of ruby, redish hues. Frothy, creamy, one-finger thick head, dissipates to soapy layer. Fair amount of lacing present.

Aroma- Nutty, chocolate notes, sweet milk chocolates w/ some hints of dry cocoa. Creamy vanilla, earthy, oaky, subtle whiskey notes. Some bittersweet fruitiness on back end.

Taste- Toasted nutiness, slighty roasty even, big chocolate and vanilla notes. Spicy oak, earthy, spiciness to the whiskey notes too, not overly boozy. Sweet, fruity, and creamy.

Feel- Medium mouthfeel, can actually feel a bit think in spots but does carry a certain creaminess. Too much carbonation.

Overall- Barrel presence is fairly subdued but noticeable enough. There is a wonderful spicy quality to the whiskey notes as well as the oakiness, and the sweetness from the whiskey notes really compliments the chocolates and vanilla underneath. Lots of layers, but pretty well balanced. Carbonation is too high, but thankfully doesnt mask flavors.

3.73/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.06/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours murky brown with a two finger khaki head. The aroma has chocolate, toffee, caramel, and dark fruit. I am disappointed that I cannot smell any barrel characteristics, especially for such an expensive beer. Hopefully the barrel shows up in the taste.

There is very little of the barrel in the taste. A little whiskey, some coconut, and a little vanilla. That is it for the barrel. Otherwise the taste is much like the aroma with chocolate, toffee, caramel, and dark fruit. I can also taste just a little bit of tartness. There is not a lot of tartness, but I'm sure it would have been very noticeable if I kept this for a few more months.

Medium bodied with low carbonation. This beer is overpriced for what the consumer is getting. I would not recommend.

3.91/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

The best way to describe this beer is intense. Strong oakey and vanilla flavors with the high alcohol percentage makes this beer a little hard to drink. I love great divide but im not gonna spend 25 dollars on this one again.

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite BA old ales. Rating is for my first tasting, 2011 vintage. Second bottle, also 2011 vintage, was an oxidized drain pour.

3.17/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Really disappointed with this beer, expected better from GD.

Not a very complex beer for having aged for over 12 months in whiskey barrels.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Review of fresh bottled 1/6/15. BTW it is labeled 10.5 % abv , not the above mentioned 12.4%

Brown semi opaque with ruby highlights

Aroma of brown sugar and whiskey

Flavors of roasted malts that render a cocoa background with caramel and blunted whiskey finish. Vinegar and soy sauce notes on the tail end. Alcohol presence is completely non existent, which at least is a vote in its favor. It is extremely smooth, almost to the point of blandness in the realm of big beers.

I am a huge fan of really big barrel beers: BCBS, Barreled Bigfoot, Berskerker , Old Stock Cellar reserve, double DBA, Bois, Sucre, etc. At this price, this beer will be graded with comparables of equal price.

This one is a yawn. brown sugar bomb, lacking defining character (IMHO) Not worth the $30. Boo, boo bummer. I have much less expensive barreled beers that exude more character and nuance than this brew. The only cellar potential I hope for with my other bottle is that residual sugar subsides. Not green, hot or rough enough around the edges to hope for more complexity to develop. Sweet and lacking depth, with cocoa & Kikkoman flavors

maybe if this years batch was 12.4% abv, the heat could balance the sweet. As is it now, enjoyable but underwhelming. It took me three days to finish the bottle, as I would have a small glass and then decide I wanted a better beer, so I'd grab a Backwoods Bastard or a Hopslam ( cork the Hibernation and stick it back in fridge)

4.24/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4/5  rDev 0%

3.79/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4/5  rDev 0%

4.16/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.07/5  rDev +1.8%

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

This damn beer was on my wants list for almost five years & then I walk into a local shop & there it sits. $25? Who cares! Come home with me, sexy, I have been looking for you all of my life. 750ML bottle split with my wife, 2014 vintage bottle on 1/5/15.

The pour is a dark, bastardized reddish-brown mixed with clay pulled off the bottom of the Mississippi. Just enough carbonation to make this not look like churned-up water. The nose is lighter than Peeps, in fact, there’s virtually nadda flowing up my nose. Caramel? I wouldn’t know this had grazed a barrel if it didn’t say so on the label.

Hibernation – Barrel Aged reminds me instantly of Surly Eight. The barrel is not shy at all. Whiskey violates every inner surface of my mouth, reaching up behind my eyes, basting my brain pan, warming me all the way to my inner thigh. Trying to get past the barrel, one finds alcohol akimbo, but from there it gets pretty quiet. Mild caramel, reduced maple syrup, nice bit of drying wood. Nice & full, but pretty happy that I’m sharing this one.

Eh. This is a disappointment after Great Divide’s fine lineup & their world-class barrel aged treatments of Yeti & Old Ruffian, kind of like looking at before & after pics of Courtney Cox. Pretty good.

3.56/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.49/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Barrel Aged Hibernation Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company