Grand Cru | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by Mebuzzard on 01-08-2011

3.7

1.75/5  rDev -52.7%

This beer pours a raisin brown in color with a one finger beige colored head. It's very, very light in body for the style. It smells of a variety of dark fruits, namely raisins, figs, and plums. It is VERY, VERY sweet. The flavors...oh man....they're a little much. It's cloyingly sweet and in the worst way. Dark fruits, molasses, maple syrup, and soda syrup combine to make this a malt bomb that you should avoid at all costs. This beer is also very light bodied for the style and a little watery. It would be one thing if BA had to call this a BSDA on a whim, but it says it right on the front of the bottle. For the style, it's one of the worst I've seen or tried. This beer doesn't need to waste your time. It's also surprising that this is 11%. You don't get ANY alcohol at all. If only they could've hidden the flavors that well...

2.42/5  rDev -34.6%

Picked up a bottle of this on a whim this weekend. Review is from notes taken on 4/10/2011 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: Pour is a dark mahogany with nice and rich ruby highlights bleeding through; starts with a big 2 and 1/2 finger light tan head with decent retention; while the body is dark, it does have decent clarity and shows moderately strong carbonation bubbling up throughout; as the head fades, it leaves a sticky web of lacing behind

Smell: Doesn't necessarily smell like many BSDs I've had in the past... Bit of a moist, mulchy, cereal-like graininess with a touch of peat and light chocolate

Taste: Bit of a letdown... Much like the smell, the taste is dominated by that big mulchy cereal-like grain bill and it reminds me more of a big Doppelbock as opposed to a BSD; light hint of chocolate behind it; underneath all of the grain is some Belgian candi sugars that leave an overly sweet aftertaste; presence of warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-heavy in body, the body comes across a touch syrupy with stronger carbonation that is very present, yet still manages to come across as smooth; a thick and sticky coating is left all over the mouth and the belly is left feeling especially warm from the 11% ABV.

Overall: For this beer to labeled as GDBC's "Grand Cru," there is a problem. They've definitely got better beers than this, and as a matter of fact, I've been let down by the last couple that I've tried from them. I feel that they need to go back to the drawing board as this one's a bit of a mess. Looks and feels good, but smells and tastes not-so-good. Better luck next time, Great Divide.

2.45/5  rDev -33.8%

A: Poured a burgundy color with good carbonation and reddih hues with a small white cap

S: Candy sugar, fruits, booze

T: Warm, hints of dark fruits, plenty of sugary sweetness ont he back. This was a m uddy, confused beer which did not sit well with me and did not taste even remotely close to some the standard Grand Crus. I understand the "style' OR LACK THERE OF ON THE CRU BUT THIS WAS NOT TASTY.

M: Warm, sticky, sweet, medium to full body

D: Not impressed. I actually drain poured this Grand Cru.

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

2.72/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Mohaggany or however that is supposed to be spelled. Aroma was boozy, not much else.

Taste hit the dark fruits, bitterness, and massive f'n heat. Burnt brown sugar. Serious, this is hot beer. Woof. In like a 1oz pour, sure, but drinking 12oz of this is like drinking fireball with raisins all night.

2.82/5  rDev -23.8%

The aroma makes me think of Japanese plum vinegar. Maybe the alcohol fumes transport the funkiest of the yeast factors. Quite a lovely dark amber color with a decent foam.

First impression is a trip down Candy Cane Lane. A Dr. Pepper flavor. Sugary taste with touches of vanilla, bran muffins, dates, and sulfury golden raisins. Lots of butter and a tang of acidity. The sweet and bitter taste with the sour touch is not my favorite. A few sips are interesting, but it wears the palate fast. Best in small doses.

From 22 oz bottle bought at Mega Liquor in Hemet, California. I don't believe I've ever seen it in Colorado.

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet And thick. Hoping for a different grand cru

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

From notes:

02/19/11

A - Beautiful deep ruby-mahogany colored. 1 finger tan head. Good lacing.

S - Very sweet, fruity, candi sugar, bubblegum, cloves, spicy and even a little smoky. Pretty interesting.

T - Very sweet, candied dark fruits, caramel, mild spiciness, a little roasted malts, tons of dark fruits (raisins, dates, sweet cherries). Cloying in its sweetness. I cannot handle this sugary sweetness. There is a weird lingering bitterness in finish, but even then it is still too sweet. The sweetness covers and envelopes the palate.

M - On the lower end of the heavy bodied. Kinda syrupy, yet a little creamy.

O - Too sweet and syrupy to drink a serving of, let alone a bomber. If there wasn't so much residual sugars it might have been good.

2.91/5  rDev -21.4%

Brown and red, pretty good clarity for a beer this dark. Aroma of alcohol and syrup.

Usual dark fruit descriptions, fig, raisin, plum, with brown sugar. Too much alcohol and sweetness for my palate to appreciate it. A little more roasty bitterness, but it actually kind of help I'd say, aside from the massive alcohol mouthfeel it left.

Glad I got to try this at the SD international beer fest, would have never bought it without trying it, not a style I'm usually down wit.

2.93/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle.
Bottled: Jan 12, 2011

A - When I pop the cap a nice little 1 inch head pops up on the neck of the bottle. Pours a slightly reddish mahogany color with a 0.5 inch tall head that has some ecru hints to it. There are some dense bubbles packed in and mixed in with some bigger bubbles. Some slight stickiness is present.

S - Belgian yeast comes up. Some clove and slight band aid notes. There is some slight boozy warmth on the back end of the beer as well. Slight dark fruit sweetness can be perceived. Some caramel mixed in with some slight bread notes.

T & M - First some dark fruit sweetness comes up. Figs and some raisins. There is intense caramel and molasses. The sweetness is a bit much for me. Doesn't seem to have much going for it aside from being sweet and a bit hot. Not my favorite and I throughly enjoy some of their other offerings.

O - Looser in my book. I wont have again.

2.93/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured a dark red-brown with a short lived tan head. Aroma is a little weak and watery, but I detect green apple, dark fruit and Belgian yeast. Pretty dissapointing after the first sip. This just doesn't taste very Belgiany. The yeast i detected in the nose is so faint in the taste. Brown sugar, caramel and dark fruit sweetness dominates. There is no complexity, just sweet and dull. This could use some Belgian spices! Very weak and bland. Hint of cheap wood. Feel is smooth and slick but on the thin side.

Dissapointing from such a great brewery.

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured into a large Duvel snifter

Pours a dark chocolatey brown with a nice solid tan head with fair head retention. Dark brown with hints of caramel and red when held to the light.

Chocolate, caramel and nice pear notes on the nose.

Sweet raisin, dark plum, chocolate and rich malt flavors.

A heavy sweetness that becomes fairly unpleasant if drunken too fast with a flat sweet aftertaste.

Overall I had high hopes for this beer. It started great by the looks and smell. After I took a few sips I began to get turned of by the sweet heaviness. I am pretty disappointed by it and not sure if I actually want to finish it now. I feel like I just a brick of dark sugar.

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber at Euclid Hall.

A: Deep brown with a billowing off white to tan head. Lacing is pretty solid but the head fades moderately fast.

S: Having a tough one with this. There's not a lot of caramel or toffee notes coming through. Touch of spice but over all very muted. So muted I don't get deep malts or big hops. I get almost nothing which is really disappointing for a "Grand Cru".

T: There is sweetness up front and thick chewy malts. Mid palate reveals deep plum and touch of dried dates, but the finish is not there. The sweetness isn't intense, cloying, or even the center piece of the beer. The beer isn't as rich as I would have hoped for either.

M: Moderate carbonation and moderately heavy on the mouth but not nearly the bite I would have for saw. While still fairly heavy it wasn't as big as I would have liked from a Belgian Style Strong Dark Ale.

D: I think the BA should decided which bottles receive the title "Grand Cru", just like Burgundy wine. Grand Cru is meant to be the very best one can make and this fell short entirely. The malts aren't nearly sweet enough, the weight of the beer is lacking, there is almost zero finish. I get just about nothing off the nose which should ring of sweet caramel, toffee, and sugar. I think in the coming years they will really work out the kinks and make a great Grand Cru but in the mean time the title should be changed entirely; this is not a Grand Cru.

2.96/5  rDev -20%

Great Divide is one of my favorite breweries,I always look for new wares from them to snap up,I wish I wouldnt have grabbed this today though.Poured into a chalice a mahogany with a tinge of amber,a rather thin beige head atop.No aromas....really no aromas after a riveted pour into a chalice!Okay light phenols,that is it!Not much better flavor wise to be honest,light spiced phenols and some cake but its just to light in any flavor component.I had higher expectations,just another reason to check reviews before going out and buying anything.Damn!

I hate to give such a bad review to such a great American brewery, but I got to do what I got do do.

2.98/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours a deep brown with strong reddish tones. One-finger light tan head with more reddish hues. Fades fairly quickly but leaves decent lacing.

Smells of good strong sweet caramel malts, and some Belgian yeast providing a bit of clove spice. The smell is pleasant, but it doesn't have a whole lot of dimension to it. I get a bit of port wine, some nice bready notes from the malts.

Whoa. Tastes uber-sweet and very rounded. The sweetness fills up the mouth and settles on the back of the tongue. The sugars are so powerful that I can't pick up much else in the flavor. It's like drinking a sweet dessert. I get the sort of yeasty bready flavor I normally get from doppelbocks. Some dark fruit like plums and raisins come through. But mostly, it's just overpoweringly sweet, with not a whole lot else to it. I get a touch of spice and a bit of alcohol pinch in the finish.

Medium-bodied, low carbonation. Sticky and syrupy. A light alcohol burn builds throughout. With a beer this heavy and sweet, I need more carbonation to move things around and bring out other flavors.

This is a serious malt-bomb. What's there is decently tasty. But unfortunately, it doesn't have much depth or complexity. To me, it comes across as sweet, sweet, and more sweet.

2.98/5  rDev -19.5%

Had this at Great Divide tap room.

A - pours a deep ruby/ garnet with 2 fingers of off white head that retains well.

S - Cherry malt, dark fruits, currant, alcohol vapors

T - Vineous grape malt, stingy alcohol burns the tongue a bit. Brown sugar, syrupy dark fruits along with golden raisins. Yeast is there but overcome by syrupy cloying malt. Faint hints of cocoa toward the end.

M - Great carbonation. Rich body, smooth at first but becomes slightly syrupy.

Grand Cru from Great Divide Brewing Company