Alpine Munich Marzen | Alpine Brewing Company

Alpine Brewing Company
Washington, United States
alpine-brewing.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Fall

Added by brakspear on 08-18-2003

Reviews by brakspear:
3.62/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on tap at the Old Town in Seattle. This amber lager is a decent, but average representation of the style. It pours a nice dark amber, with a wispy head that fades. The aroma is toasted and caramel malt upfront with slight hoppiness in back. The taste and flavors are mild maltiness with just a slight hop presence noted. I would not go out of my way to find this beer.

3.62/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance – This one came out of the tap a pretty orangish-brown in color. The head was moderate but my pint glass was filled almost to the top so it was hard to gauge.

Smell – The aroma here is pure grain. The malts show off some light caramel notes IAW the style.

Taste – This is a very sweet example of an Oktoberfest. It is really sugar-sweet and lacks any amount of malt depth. The flavor is enjoyable but it’s a bit lopsided.

Mouthfeel – This one is light to medium-bodied and very smooth. It is silky on the tongue but feels a bit broken down like a beer that’s been overaged.

Drinkability – This offering from Alpine lacked the depth of a good Oktoberfest but it still went down reasonably well.

4.29/5  rDev +16.6%

I stopped by the brewery today and Wolfgang the brewer graciously gave a couple of samples to my wife and me right from the lager tanks.
The color was right what one would expect from a Marzen. It had not yet been filtered though. The malt aroma was very strong with just a hint of hops. The malt flavor is just as one would expect from a Marzen. Full bodied comes to mind and this beer will improve I believe after filtering.
I sure like this beer even though it was not yet finished.

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

on tap at Redbone's

A bit of gold glints at the bottom of a reddish amber glass. (I'm thinking Rheingold already.) Served with no head. I get only a faint aroma of hops. It tastes lovely: a malty mix of caramel and raisin, only slightly marred by a metallic finish.

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Beer was quite orange tinted but the overall effect was pleasant in the glass. The most noticeable thing about this beer was the roundness of the finish and the sweetish take on the style. I found this quite drinkable but I was looking for more depth and crispness in this beer.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Had this on tap at Redbones. Pour was a dark, clear amber. I thought the aroma was slightly sweet, but still clean. The mouthfeel was full-bodied. Taste was mostly malt, with a crisp and sweet finish. Not bad, pretty much delivered what I was expecting. pat

Alpine Munich Marzen from Alpine Brewing Company